ADVERTISEMENT

Hi Huskers....do you all REALLY know how close you are to being "Back"?

Hawkman34

Mar 17, 2002
Just wanted to stop by and say how impressed I was with your team yesterday. That second half D was some of the best I have seen all year from ANY team. Adrian was a man among boys for most of the game yesterday.

I know if is frustrating to have lost a game in which you really dominated...but dang, you are on the cusp! I am not looking forward to my Hawks coming out there, as your D will most likely shut us down completely,. And, if your Offense has cleaned things up...we will have trouble keeping you from scoring. WE NEED NEBRASKA to be NEBRASKA again so that the BIG W will earn respect. I am tired of hear about how much better the East is!

Good luck again NW....you won't need it!!!

We aren't anywhere close to being back.

1: Dumbest team in America
2: Frost is now throwing players under the bus
3: Special teams are the worst in the country
4: Turnovers.
5: Always a new way to lose games. Always. It has not stopped in 4 seasons now.

Simply put, Scott Frost is a losing head coach and should be fired YESTERDAY.

Just wanted to stop by and say how impressed I was with your team yesterday. That second half D was some of the best I have seen all year from ANY team. Adrian was a man among boys for most of the game yesterday.

I know if is frustrating to have lost a game in which you really dominated...but dang, you are on the cusp! I am not looking forward to my Hawks coming out there, as your D will most likely shut us down completely,. And, if your Offense has cleaned things up...we will have trouble keeping you from scoring. WE NEED NEBRASKA to be NEBRASKA again so that the BIG W will earn respect. I am tired of hear about how much better the East is!

We're always close as long as we have good coaching. Talent is always the cop out excuse, but we've always had more than enough talent to put together winning seasons at the least.

I see talk about Nebraska being "close". I am wondering, close to what? To being a top 25 team? A playoff team? A team with a winning record?

I agree that we are close to being a sturdy team that regularly wins 8 to 9 games. We are close to being an occasional top 25 team. We are not close to being a top 10 team, or being a team in a high profile bowl game.

Our saving grace is being in a weak conference with a defense that will keep us in games as long as we can continue to avoid the injury bug.

Thanks for the post. But I don't care about moral victories, covering the spread, woulda coulda shoulda bullshit lip service. Just win. No more talk. Finish a game. Improve every week. No gifting games away. Just win!! Simple.

We aren't anywhere close to being back.

1: Dumbest team in America
2: Frost is now throwing players under the bus
3: Special teams are the worst in the country
4: Turnovers.
5: Always a new way to lose games. Always. It has not stopped in 4 seasons now.

Simply put, Scott Frost is a losing head coach and should be fired YESTERDAY.
The last sentence fixes everything prior to it. Name Chin as interim HC now and see what happens. OP is right. We're on the cusp. Talent is there. Just need the right coaches. May not even take much more than just canning the head man.

The last sentence fixes everything prior to it. Name Chin as interim HC now and see what happens. OP is right. We're on the cusp. Talent is there. Just need the right coaches. May not even take much more than just canning the head man.

I think we see immediate improvement on the field once Scott Frost is gone. The talent is there.

We're always close as long as we have good coaching. Talent is always the cop out excuse, but we've always had more than enough talent to put together winning seasons at the least.

I don’t know that we have always had, but we sure has heck to right now. Very frustrating times.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Dumbest thing I’ve read all day.. congrats
Let me guess, you are one of those Frost lovers. The OL has ability and talent. They need to be coached up with better techniques with the proper schemes. The talent at OL for Nebraska is correct for a zone blocking concept like Iowa does, not what Scott Frost does.

And a new head coach could actually believe in a rushing attack and scheme it correctly.

Let me guess, you are one of those Frost lovers. The OL has ability and talent. They need to be coached up with better techniques with the proper schemes. The talent at OL for Nebraska is correct for a zone blocking concept like Iowa does, not what Scott Frost does.

And a new head coach could actually believe in a rushing attack and scheme it correctly.
I kinda disagree. Other than Cam, and potentially Corcoran this OL is very limited in talent. You can teach technique that fits their physical attributes. But really slow is really slow. Big does not equate to good.

I was really disappointed last night that SF would not make a change at RT. Clearly, Benhart was being owned almost every play. How can you run an offense when he is losing almost every snap, and then 3 of the other guys were being routinely handled?

So many of the NU losses over the last 3+ years have been self-inflicted, and yet this Head Coach refuses to "try" to give his team the best chance of winning.

If Benhard IS the best NU has, then why the hell don't we take one WR out of the offense and get some TE or an additional OL there to shore up that area?
Or put a man in motion from left to right to be able to help either Benhart or Sicht?

Just my opinion.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
As an obligatory Lions fan living in Detroit, I am still scratching my head over that firing.

Him and Jim Bob Cooter (sp?) had a great thing going. Lots of folks were jumping on the lions bandwagon, but then poof.. fired. Just dumb,

Thanks but we are so far away from being anything close to back.

Talent doesn't mean dick if you can't apply it. We have a structural leadership issue and a head coach that won't act like he is the head of the team, he just wants to play call and ignore everything else.

I know I am not plugged into the daily talk of the team, but if you take away just a few plays from the last two weeks......you guys are ranked. Literally.,...just a few plays. Now, go back in time to just last year and the year before and the problems seemed to be whole lot bigger. Just my two cents.

I know I am not plugged into the daily talk of the team, but if you take away just a few plays from the last two weeks......you guys are ranked. Literally.,...just a few plays. Now, go back in time to just last year and the year before and the problems seemed to be whole lot bigger. Just my two cents.
We could go back to Frost's first game at Nebraska and say "what if" on plays. When you keep losing close games year after year, it's not bad luck, it's a shitty head coach.

Reactions: oldjar07
In some ways we feel closer than we have been in a long time and in some ways we feel a million miles away. It’s incredibly frustrating.
I want to feel good and sure he’s not the guy before I get out my pitchfork. I see a team that is engaging and getting better. Oline and Specials obviously need some work, but I believe we can get that ironed out. I pray we get that figured out.

at the end of the season,
me and trev will review coaching
me and buffet will have a talk about nil
and me and disney will talk about future shapes of college football

I'm just giving them time to collect data now, and finish reports

You're not wrong, and I may be in the minority but I like hearing the perspective of someone who's on the outside looking in. But you've got to recognize that you could write a book on the agonizing ways that Frost has found to lose close games. You're spoiled by your coach that goes about his boring business of putting fundamentally sound football teams on the field that typically don't beat themselves. We might be closer than we've been in awhile, but it still seems light years away when the same dumb things keep happening over and over. (and over and over).

Miami, Tennessee , USC, Florida State, Texas, and Michigan have been asking themselves this same question for years as well. Eventually the right coach will hit all the right tunes, but there isn't a surefire answer out there. Alabama got lucky to get Saban. Ohio State was lucky to get Meyer. Both guys just happened to be available when those programs needed a new coach.

We all think there are surefire answers, but even the mightiest programs struggle. It's a fine line between being too trigger happy on firing coaches, to keeping mediocrity too long.

Arkansas is a legitimate top 10 team currently. Two years ago they were being blown out by North Texas. They found the right guy in Sam Pittman to get the most out of a top 40 program. Arkansas is no power. They don't sit in a fertile recruiting ground. They have to compete in the toughest division in the toughest conference . If they can get it right, you would assume Texas or Florida State could in much easier conferences.

There is no surefire answer here. There isn't a genie in a bottle ready to bring back the 90s glory. Find the right guy that gets the culture. Find a guy willing to put in the work rather then win the press conference.

Reactions: donahues17
I kinda disagree. Other than Cam, and potentially Corcoran this OL is very limited in talent. You can teach technique that fits their physical attributes. But really slow is really slow. Big does not equate to good.

I was really disappointed last night that SF would not make a change at RT. Clearly, Benhart was being owned almost every play. How can you run an offense when he is losing almost every snap, and then 3 of the other guys were being routinely handled?

So many of the NU losses over the last 3+ years have been self-inflicted, and yet this Head Coach refuses to "try" to give his team the best chance of winning.

If Benhard IS the best NU has, then why the hell don't we take one WR out of the offense and get some TE or an additional OL there to shore up that area?
Or put a man in motion from left to right to be able to help either Benhart or Sicht?

Just my opinion.
This is BS. It's 100% on coaching.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
You're not wrong, and I may be in the minority but I like hearing the perspective of someone who's on the outside looking in. But you've got to recognize that you could write a book on the agonizing ways that Frost has found to lose close games. You're spoiled by your coach that goes about his boring business of putting fundamentally sound football teams on the field that typically don't beat themselves. We might be closer than we've been in awhile, but it still seems light years away when the same dumb things keep happening over and over. (and over and over).
Agree with this but I don't put all of that on Frost. I think the players have found agonizing ways to lose games too, including in the years before Frost. They've been doing it so often for long enough that they now seem to find a way to have a lapse, especially in crunch time. The mental discipline/toughness has to turn the corner for the players too before they start winning consistently. I get that's largely on Frost to lead but it's also on them and the other coaches too.

This is BS. It's 100% on coaching.
It's college. It is always 100% on the coaching, good or bad. He's four years in. He and his assistants recruited, developed, and prepared these players for every game. He's paid to be the responsible party for the product on the field. Every gaff, every touchdown every win and every loss is a direct reflection on him. To say otherwise is simply incorrect.

Last edited:
Here is the thing... and mark it down. Today you are going to roll NW and then next week, you are going to take Michigan down. I just feel it. Good luck to your boys!!!!!

Reactions: JPR95
If Mich doesn't beat NU, then NU beats NU.
Prior to today, MU had thrown the ball 17, 13, 17, 16 times in 4 games. Today, I don't have final stats but MU has thrown the ball @ 30 times. That was because Wiscy somewhat shut down MU running game to 112 yards. (Final stats were unavailable when I last checked).

If NU is able to slow down the MU running game, likely MU will throw it 25 times or more. Last week, MU was only able to run 54 offensive plays total and Rutgers controlled the ball with 31 passes and ran a total of 73 plays.

Every game is a separate event, so who knows. NU will see a lot of 6,7,8 man offensive fronts and it will make the NU run defense stop the run first, as is typical at most levels. If MU can run the ball somewhat effectively, it will be tough for NU to get the win.

Just an opinion. Feel free to agree or disagree.

ADVERTISEMENT