ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Tim, how can I get a job paying millions to underachieve?

This is officially my least favorite time on a fan board. It seems the writing is on the wall for a coach to lose his or her job. Let it happen and hope the new coach is a winner. But the endless kicking of dirt on the outgoing coach is so juvenile. It’s tiring and unproductive.

This is officially my least favorite time on a fan board. It seems the writing is on the wall for a coach to lose his or her job. Let it happen and hope the new coach is a winner. But the endless kicking of dirt on the outgoing coach is so juvenile. It’s tiring and unproductive.
Yeah, because the rest of the time on the message boards is so rewarding and educational.

Nebraska basketball and it’s fans are the worst. This team is struggling and Miles probably deserves to be let go but let’s not act like Miles is a historically bad coach for the university. I’ll get killed by people as a “Miles appologist” but we’ve actually had more success under him than anyone since Nee. Miles will be gone after this year, but here’s my prediction: everyone will be upset with his replacement because no coach capable of creating a winner here (for the first time ever I might add) will take the job. It’s a career killer because people have unrealistic expectations.

Can anyone please just reckognize how absurd the bar was for Miles this year? It was basically “have the best season in the history of our program or you’re fired”. That’s insane.

Just asking an expert.

I cannot stand this common jab at coaches. How do you get paid millions to underachieve at a head coaching position? After your college playing career, be an assistant coach for 6 years. Then get several small college HC jobs and have success. And then go to a mid-tier school and make some noise at the tournament. Then get a P5 job. Become the conference coach of the year. Then have some poor seasons. That’s how.

So essentially you have to work your ass off for 20-30 years and get some breaks. Just like every extremely high paying job. That’s how you get paid millions to overachieve.

If you’d like to be in the same boat, go to a small college and GA. And then put in the next 25-30 years into coaching. Have success and work crazy hours. Have at it.

Nebraska basketball and it’s fans are the worst. This team is struggling and Miles probably deserves to be let go but let’s not act like Miles is a historically bad coach for the university. I’ll get killed by people as a “Miles appologist” but we’ve actually had more success under him than anyone since Nee. Miles will be gone after this year, but here’s my prediction: everyone will be upset with his replacement because no coach capable of creating a winner here (for the first time ever I might add) will take the job. It’s a career killer because people have unrealistic expectations.

Can anyone please just reckognize how absurd the bar was for Miles this year? It was basically “have the best season in the history of our program or you’re fired”. That’s insane.
Worst fans....no. The bar was set by many. To achieve a NET ranking as high as we were was not based on merit alone. Others had an expectation of this team. Don't bag on the fans, they are not the only ones who are disappointed.

Well...sort of??

I mean...it isn't like the bar was set so high and unrealistic. Until about 3 weeks ago there was not a prediction site out there that did not have them in as a really good seed. Basically, the bar for this year was "Don't coach yourself out of the dance"

I cannot stand this common jab at coaches. How do you get paid millions to underachieve at a head coaching position? After your college playing career, be an assistant coach for 6 years. Then get several small college HC jobs and have success. And then go to a mid-tier school and make some noise at the tournament. Then get a P5 job. Become the conference coach of the year. Then have some poor seasons. That’s how.

So essentially you have to work your ass off for 20-30 years and get some breaks. Just like every extremely high paying job. That’s how you get paid millions to overachieve.

If you’d like to be in the same boat, go to a small college and GA. And then put in the next 25-30 years into coaching. Have success and work crazy hours. Have at it.

So...do grunt work and catch breaks?

It won’t happen but I would laugh out loud at the confusion it would create if Miles ran the table at the Big 10 Tourney and somehow got in...Nebrasketball “fan” wouldn’t know what to do or how to react

Reactions: saluno22
It won’t happen but I would laugh out loud at the confusion it would create if Miles ran the table at the Big 10 Tourney and somehow got in...Nebrasketball “fan” wouldn’t know what to do or how to react

I’d love for that to happen, but that is more then just a pipe dream and like I said even after this season I didn’t see any future with our Basketball program if Miles is leading the way..

And be successful in your work, establish/maintain relationships, etc. Tim Miles elevated each team he coached before he was hired at Nebraska.

I'm disappointed in this season as well and given how Miles has recruited, this season's roster had a one-shot-at-glory composition. Very senior heavy, lack of quality bench production. I think most will acknowledge that, and that falls squarely on the head coach. Whether intentional or a byproduct of the nature of college basketball (and our stature within it), all of our eggs were in this season's basket. I don't follow closely enough to know what we have in recruiting this year, but I wouldn't be shocked if Moos let Miles go.

Last edited:
I will hop right back on the bandwagon if that happens. :)

Reactions: sloth316
And be successful in your work, establish/maintain relationships, etc. Tim Miles elevated each team he coached before he was hired at Nebraska.

I'm disappointed in this season as well and given how Miles has recruited, this season's roster had a one-shot-at-glory composition. Very senior heavy, lack of quality bench production. I think most will acknowledge that, and that fans squarely on the head coach. Whether intentional or a byproduct of the nature of college basketball (and our stature within it), all of our eggs were in this season's basket. I don't follow closely enough to know what we have in recruiting this year, but I wouldn't be shocked if Moos let Miles go.

But he wasn't really successful...under .500 record in D1 conference play and 5 (total) seasons with 20 wins or more out of 24 seasons.

Reactions: Huskred01

Catch breaks is a losers way of saying be successful. Miles has been successful at other places and here in the beginning of his tenure. The idea that Miles just caught breaks and did grunt work disregards all of his hard work, ability and accomplishments.

I think Miles needs to go, but I can’t stand when people say, ‘well I’d love to get paid millions to fail, how do I get that job?’ You get that job for being one of the top performers in your industry.

My dad used to say that. ‘I’d love to get paid millions to lose a game.’ Well no shit, dad. We’d all love to get paid millions to stand out there and lose.

My dads a real successful guy. Started his own business. Has done really, really well. So I finally turned it on him and said, ‘I would love to make the money you do.’ And he got a pissy and said, ‘then go start you own business and work the hours I did (do), take the risks I took and have my stress.’ I had to explain how is that any different than ‘X’ coach? He never said that again. Because it s a ridiculous thing to say and think.

It really easy to see whoever is on top and say, ‘I’d love to do that.’ Then disregard all the work and sacrifice that it took to get there.

Catch breaks is a losers way of saying be successful. Miles has been successful at other places and here in the beginning of his tenure. The idea that Miles just caught breaks and did grunt work disregards all of his hard work, ability and accomplishments.

I think Miles needs to go, but I can’t stand when people say, ‘well I’d love to get paid millions to fail, how do I get that job?’ You get that job for being one of the top performers in your industry.

My dad used to say that. ‘I’d love to get paid millions to lose a game.’ Well no shit, dad. We’d all love to get paid millions to stand out there and lose.

My dads a real successful guy. Started his own business. Has done really, really well. So I finally turned it on him and said, ‘I would love to make the money you do.’ And he got a pissy and said, ‘then go start you own business and work the hours I did (do), take the risks I took and have my stress.’ I had to explain how is that any different than ‘X’ coach? He never said that again. Because it s a ridiculous thing to say and think.

It really easy to see whoever is on top and say, ‘I’d love to do that.’ Then disregard all the work and sacrifice that it took to get there.
But he wasn't...not even close.

5 seasons with 20 wins (24 years) and an under 500 record in D1 conference play. He wasn't one of the top performers and when he was hired, as I am sure you remember, people were like "Ummmm, who?"

Shoot, I am glad for the guy, he got a lotto ticket and he will get one maybe two more for being, at best, average in his field of work. That is a badass move! I am jealous!

But he wasn't...not even close.

5 seasons with 20 wins (24 years) and an under 500 record in D1 conference play. He wasn't one of the top performers and when he was hired, as I am sure you remember, people were like "Ummmm, who?"

Shoot, I am glad for the guy, he got a lotto ticket and he will get one maybe two more for being, at best, average in his field of work. That is a badass move! I am jealous!

You realize building a program for the short term means a lot of losses in the bogging, right? He took over a Colorado State team that was coming off an okay season with an NBA player. That player was gone when he got there and he was left with a very bare cupboard. Then he improved his team every season and got to the tournament. A feat that has happened at CSU since 1990.

Then he came to Nebraska. Got us to the tournament and was the conference coach of the year. But you’re right, he never had any success.

I get not liking Miles, but at least have some honesty in while doing it.

You realize building a program for the short term means a lot of losses in the bogging, right? He took over a Colorado State team that was coming off an okay season with an NBA player. That player was gone when he got there and he was left with a very bare cupboard. Then he improved his team every season and got to the tournament. A feat that has happened at CSU since 1990.

Then he came to Nebraska. Got us to the tournament and was the conference coach of the year. But you’re right, he never had any success.

I get not liking Miles, but at least have some honesty in while doing it.
I am being honest and I like him a lot. I don't want him fired at all. I am being honest. To say that he was hired because of his amazing performance is not being honest. He was hired because he fit what TO wanted. Do you honestly (be honest now) believe that if a search firm had been used (I hate that idea by the way) that Tims name would have ended up on a top 5 list at the time? Shoot, Bruce Weber was looking for a job and would have LOVED to stay in the conference.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
I am being honest and I like him a lot. I don't want him fired at all. I am being honest. To say that he was hired because of his amazing performance is not being honest. He was hired because he fit what TO wanted. Do you honestly (be honest now) believe that if a search firm had been used (I hate that idea by the way) that Tims name would have ended up on a top 5 list at the time? Shoot, Bruce Weber was looking for a job and would have LOVED to stay in the conference.

A guy that has shown continued improvement and took a team to the tournament for the first time in 13 year? Yes, I think he’s be in the conversation.

Why do people keep saying he’s the best coach since Nee as if that matters?

Also spare me the bad fans crap. Not many other fanbases are packing in the arena to see the product Miles has put on the court for seven years.

Why do people keep saying he’s the best coach since Nee as if that matters?

Also spare me the bad fans crap. Not many other fanbases are packing in the arena to see the product Miles has put on the court for seven years.

It does matter. People keep spouting off that Miles is a bad coach and how he’s a loser...why? Because he wasn’t able to do something that no one has ever done before? The ceiling is low at Nebraska for basketball. And people get pissed when coaches run into that ceiling. We will never hire a big name that can change things quickly. I just find the whole outrage mob against miles so delusional.

So buying tickets and going to games makes being delusional about what Nebraska basketball is and should expect ok? The product Miles has put on the court has been consistent with and even slightly better at times than Nebraska basketball has always been. There are real obstacles to Nebraska being good at basketball that will be hard for any coach to overcome, but Nebraska basketball fan will just continue to blame coach after coach. Because they’re all losers.

A guy that has shown continued improvement and took a team to the tournament for the first time in 13 year? Yes, I think he’s be in the conversation.
I don't, no chance he is on a top 5 list unless you are looking for a coach with no tournament wins (seems like that would be a must have if you are hiring a current HC for a school that has never won a game), no proven track record with recruiting P5 players and a total of 2 wins over P5 schools in the previous two years before being hired at NU.

It does matter. People keep spouting off that Miles is a bad coach and how he’s a loser...why? Because he wasn’t able to do something that no one has ever done before? The ceiling is low at Nebraska for basketball. And people get pissed when coaches run into that ceiling. We will never hire a big name that can change things quickly. I just find the whole outrage mob against miles so delusional.

So buying tickets and going to games makes being delusional about what Nebraska basketball is and should expect ok? The product Miles has put on the court has been consistent with and even slightly better at times than Nebraska basketball has always been. There are real obstacles to Nebraska being good at basketball that will be hard for any coach to overcome, but Nebraska basketball fan will just continue to blame coach after coach. Because they’re all losers.

Expectations are out of whack because people expect better than 4 losing seasons out of 6? TBD on the seventh. What other power 5 programs would look at that has a success? You are acting as if people are expecting sweet 16’s ever year.

Also, people should stop comparing Miles to Collier/Sadler. Neither Collier or Sadler had the facilities or resources that Miles does. Add in the fact that if Miles is still around next year his salary will be close to making 3 times more than the previous coaches.

So yes, expectations have slightly changed over the years because Nebraska is finally trying to invest in the basketball program. And their ROI under Miles has produced zero postseason wins.

We have zero post season wins ever. More money and a new arena don’t entitle you to more success. If Miles isn’t meeting expectations, then fine. But that isn’t how this is being portrayed. He’s being portrayed as being a terrible coach, a loser, etc. those are different things and that narrative isn’t accurate. He’s been above average to decent for a program that is one of the worst in P5 basketball. If that isn’t enough, then fine. But don’t act like it’s miles that is holding back the program.

Reactions: PvilleHuskerTim
Expectations are out of whack because people expect better than 4 losing seasons out of 6? TBD on the seventh. What other power 5 programs would look at that has a success? You are acting as if people are expecting sweet 16’s ever year.

Also, people should stop comparing Miles to Collier/Sadler. Neither Collier or Sadler had the facilities or resources that Miles does. Add in the fact that if Miles is still around next year his salary will be close to making 3 times more than the previous coaches.

So yes, expectations have slightly changed over the years because Nebraska is finally trying to invest in the basketball program. And their ROI under Miles has produced zero postseason wins.

If anything...the LACK of expectations for so many years is what helped to hurt the program.

This time I think the fan base deserves a pass because it is a repeat of the 2014-2015 season. This time around it wasn't just Lucy moving the ball at the last moment. It was her kicking Charlie Brown in the nads for good measure as he lay there vulnerable on the ground. Just how much torture can fans endure without sharing frustrations.

This time I think the fan base deserves a pass because it is a repeat of the 2014-2015 season. This time around it wasn't just Lucy moving the ball at the last moment. It was her kicking Charlie Brown in the nads for good measure as he lay there vulnerable on the ground. Just how much torture can fans endure without sharing frustrations.

Reactions: undigestedcorn

A lot of luck too...There are a ton of better coaches than Miles, just because he could get a job at colorado state and nebraska doesn't mean he deserves millions...but sports are so fricken bloated...especially sports like BB that use football funds to pay their coaches...BB can barely balance the checkbook. On 2nd thought, why do we even have a men's BB program. I guarantee we could be better at men's soccer, for cheaper and use the savings for the football program. It is no coincidence that Alabama's rise coincided with a cut in other sports on campus.

A lot of luck too...There are a ton of better coaches than Miles, just because he could get a job at colorado state and nebraska doesn't mean he deserves millions...but sports are so fricken bloated...especially sports like BB that use football funds to pay their coaches...BB can barely balance the checkbook. On 2nd thought, why do we even have a men's BB program. I guarantee we could be better at men's soccer, for cheaper and use the savings for the football program. It is no coincidence that Alabama's rise coincided with a cut in other sports on campus.
Because you can't be in a major conference if you don't play men's basketball. Perhaps that shouldn't be the case, but it is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT