ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Nebraska friends…

Really? I'm guessing either on the sw or nw part of town.
I looked at Google maps. It doesn't give me an elevation view. I know it was towards the north side of town by the highway. It faced south. I believe it was a story and a half home. While I was nailing up rafters, by co-worker was cutting them down on the ground. He was using a worm-drive skill saw. Somehow the guard got stuck and he cut himself on the thigh and laid open a huge chunk of flesh. I hurried and got him in the truck and took him to the hospital in Hebron. . He recovered normally.
We also built lots of houses for Swails Construction in Geneva.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I looked at Google maps. It doesn't give me an elevation view. I know it was towards the north side of town by the highway. It faced south. I believe it was a story and a half home. While I was nailing up rafters, by co-worker was cutting them down on the ground. He was using a worm-drive skill saw. Somehow the guard got stuck and he cut himself on the thigh and laid open a huge chunk of flesh. I hurried and got him in the truck and took him to the hospital in Hebron. . He recovered normally.
We also built lots of houses for Swails Construction in Geneva.
Yep that would be in the nw part of town. The street was probably a boulevard type and yes the house would be facing south with backyard facing the highway.

Glad your coworker recovered. Pretty scary for you for awhile I imagine

Reactions: BigRedBeliever
This is a topic that really interests me. About 10 years ago, Dirk Chatelain wrote a great article entitled something like The Death of High School Football. He highlighted how many fewer kids were playing the game compared to years past. Soccer is one reason, but he focused in on the dwindling number of high schools in Nebraska as being the major cause. I don't remember the exact numbers, but he pointed out that in 1980-ish there were around 360 high schools in the state. At the time he wrote the story, there were something like 280 due to all the closures and consolidations.

So many examples -- Elmwood and Murdock used to be huge rivals; now they are one school. Table Rock, Steinhauer and Humboldt all had high schools at one time; they are now one school. Shelby and Rising City have merged. Stromsberg is part of something called Cross County. Conestoga combined Nehawka, Union and part of the Plattsmouth district; it probably should have included Weeping Water too, as that school has so few students these days. Lyons, Decatur and I think someone else are all one school, as are Scriber and Snyder. Sandhills HS is Halsey, Thedford and others. In this week's Class D boy's basketball rankings there is something called Summerland. I assume it is a co-op of a number of schools.

One the one hand, having a high school in the small town is a good thing, as it helps keep the community afloat and the kids have a greater chance of making the basketball team or having the lead in the play. But from educational and financial standpoints, it's hard to justify all the small schools.

Chatelain's article highlighted the 8-man football team at Humphrey St. Francis (or was it Lindsay Holy Family; I just don't recall), which was in it's last year having a team before co-oping with the local public high school. The team only had 10-11 players and at one point had to travel out to Harrisburg (between Scottsbluff and Kimball) to play a game. A couple of ankle sprains and a knee injury depleted the roster. It's a cool story if you can find it, and really highlights "Nebraska."

Sorry to get off on a tangent
On the subject of Nebraska kids playing football, I was reading an old World Herald sports page from 1936, and I read the writer said 6000 boys were playing football in Nebraska High Schools! I would think less play today!

Thank you!!! Where do the Campbell kids go....Franklin? Minden?

I remember when Centennial opened ...WHAT A CONCEPT!!! I think Waco, Gresham, maybe one other....
Campbell is in Silver Lake's district I'm fairly certain. Had cousins that played basketball for Silver Lake and lived in Campbell

Byron was alot the same way. Heaters in corners and round quonset type with tile floor. Many times there would be condensation on the floor under heaters which made it slick and interesting. As if tile wasn't slick enough to begin with.
Pre game warmups and a walk-through were more important back then. 😂

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT