ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Nebraska friends…

spartanhusker

College Football Hall of Fame
May 29, 2001
…. This is an odd request but I’m odd … the two years i coached basketball in Campbell(75-77) we played Hildrith Bladen Roseland Ruskin Deshler Guide Rock Trumbull Blue Hill( think) Nelson Davenport… maybe some more … I looked up Ruskin tonight ….123 people! Obviously no high school there…..so my question… there seems to be a ton of consolidated schools… I don’t know who goes with who… just for my own edification, can you give me some examples? Thanks…..odd I know

…. This is an odd request but I’m odd … the two years i coached basketball in Campbell(75-77) we played Hildrith Bladen Roseland Ruskin Deshler Guide Rock Trumbull Blue Hill( think) Nelson Davenport… maybe some more … I looked up Ruskin tonight ….123 people! Obviously no high school there…..so my question… there seems to be a ton of consolidated schools… I don’t know who goes with who… just for my own edification, can you give me some examples? Thanks…..odd I know
Wilcox-Hildreth, Lawrence-Nelson, Doniphan-Trumbull, Silver Lake (combo of Roseland, Bladen and a few other towns), BDS (Bruning, Davenport, and Shickley).

Two things…Chester Hubbell was once in th LA Times about 6 msn football….

Played high school basketball against the great Dale Haase…

Reactions: dpnavy
Ruskin dissolved. The land went to deshler but the kids were allowed to go wherever they wanted. Some went to superior, Nelson, davenport and deshler. Deshler still ran grade school until attendance level dropped below an agreed upon set level. School is no longer there.

Hope that helps

Ruskin dissolved. The land went to deshler but the kids were allowed to go wherever they wanted. Some went to superior, Nelson, davenport and deshler. Deshler still ran grade school until attendance level dropped below an agreed upon set level. School is no longer there.

Hope that helps
Thank you all so much!!! I've been away so long, but I follow York High from a distance and I see these school names I never heard of and I just wonder who comprises them....

Lawrence-Nelson. Wilcox-Hildreth. Silver Lake is a few different little towns. Blue Hill is still solo (they get kids from surrounding towns for sports). Red Cloud is solo and way smaller. Harvard is solo. Deshler is solo. Bruning-Davenport-Shickley is together. Doniphan-Trumbull is together

Lawrence-Nelson. Wilcox-Hildreth. Silver Lake is a few different little towns. Blue Hill is still solo (they get kids from surrounding towns for sports). Red Cloud is solo and way smaller. Harvard is solo. Deshler is solo. Bruning-Davenport-Shickley is together. Doniphan-Trumbull is together
Thank you!!! Where do the Campbell kids go....Franklin? Minden?

I remember when Centennial opened ...WHAT A CONCEPT!!! I think Waco, Gresham, maybe one other....

Bruning Davenport Shickley are together for sports only. Shickley is still a separate school I'm pretty sure.

BTW....when we played Ruskin in hoops, their gym, I BELIEVE, was a large quonset hut!:)

I think later...who is Tri-County made up of? Where do Stromsburg kids go? Is the great Swedish restaurant still there?
Area south of Wilbur clatonia. Takes in 3 counties. Gage, Jefferson and saline.

DeWitt, Plymouth area.

Nope, Ruskin....one of their dads sat behind me and yelled at me the whole time...I was 23 and did not handle it well....:)
I know that the " old gym " was in the basement with seating above. I think you're right. I don't think we ever played Ruskin in Ruskin. Always a home game at our place

I remember when Centennial opened ...WHAT A CONCEPT!!! I think Waco, Gresham, maybe one other....most w

I remember when Centennial opened ...WHAT A CONCEPT!!! I think Waco, Gresham, maybe one other....
Most went to Hildreth when Campbell closed

Reactions: moralvictories
This is a topic that really interests me. About 10 years ago, Dirk Chatelain wrote a great article entitled something like The Death of High School Football. He highlighted how many fewer kids were playing the game compared to years past. Soccer is one reason, but he focused in on the dwindling number of high schools in Nebraska as being the major cause. I don't remember the exact numbers, but he pointed out that in 1980-ish there were around 360 high schools in the state. At the time he wrote the story, there were something like 280 due to all the closures and consolidations.

So many examples -- Elmwood and Murdock used to be huge rivals; now they are one school. Table Rock, Steinhauer and Humboldt all had high schools at one time; they are now one school. Shelby and Rising City have merged. Stromsberg is part of something called Cross County. Conestoga combined Nehawka, Union and part of the Plattsmouth district; it probably should have included Weeping Water too, as that school has so few students these days. Lyons, Decatur and I think someone else are all one school, as are Scriber and Snyder. Sandhills HS is Halsey, Thedford and others. In this week's Class D boy's basketball rankings there is something called Summerland. I assume it is a co-op of a number of schools.

One the one hand, having a high school in the small town is a good thing, as it helps keep the community afloat and the kids have a greater chance of making the basketball team or having the lead in the play. But from educational and financial standpoints, it's hard to justify all the small schools.

Chatelain's article highlighted the 8-man football team at Humphrey St. Francis (or was it Lindsay Holy Family; I just don't recall), which was in it's last year having a team before co-oping with the local public high school. The team only had 10-11 players and at one point had to travel out to Harrisburg (between Scottsbluff and Kimball) to play a game. A couple of ankle sprains and a knee injury depleted the roster. It's a cool story if you can find it, and really highlights "Nebraska."

Sorry to get off on a tangent

I know that the " old gym " was in the basement with seating above. I think you're right. I don't think we ever played Ruskin in Ruskin. Always a home game at our place
It had a suspended heater in the west corner of the 'gym'...you literally could not shoot a corner shot...we did, anyway and had a few clank off:)

• Haha
Reactions: SickOfPractice
It had a suspended heater in the west corner of the 'gym'...you literally could not shoot a corner shot...we did, anyway and had a few clank off:)
Byron was alot the same way. Heaters in corners and round quonset type with tile floor. Many times there would be condensation on the floor under heaters which made it slick and interesting. As if tile wasn't slick enough to begin with.

This is a topic that really interests me. About 10 years ago, Dirk Chatelain wrote a great article entitled something like The Death of High School Football. He highlighted how many fewer kids were playing the game compared to years past. Soccer is one reason, but he focused in on the dwindling number of high schools in Nebraska as being the major cause. I don't remember the exact numbers, but he pointed out that in 1980-ish there were around 360 high schools in the state. At the time he wrote the story, there were something like 280 due to all the closures and consolidations.

So many examples -- Elmwood and Murdock used to be huge rivals; now they are one school. Table Rock, Steinhauer and Humboldt all had high schools at one time; they are now one school. Shelby and Rising City have merged. Stromsberg is part of something called Cross County. Conestoga combined Nehawka, Union and part of the Plattsmouth district; it probably should have included Weeping Water too, as that school has so few students these days. Lyons, Decatur and I think someone else are all one school, as are Scriber and Snyder. Sandhills HS is Halsey, Thedford and others. In this week's Class D boy's basketball rankings there is something called Summerland. I assume it is a co-op of a number of schools.

One the one hand, having a high school in the small town is a good thing, as it helps keep the community afloat and the kids have a greater chance of making the basketball team or having the lead in the play. But from educational and financial standpoints, it's hard to justify all the small schools.

Chatelain's article highlighted the 8-man football team at Humphrey St. Francis (or was it Lindsay Holy Family; I just don't recall), which was in it's last year having a team before co-oping with the local public high school. The team only had 10-11 players and at one point had to travel out to Harrisburg (between Scottsbluff and Kimball) to play a game. A couple of ankle sprains and a knee injury depleted the roster. It's a cool story if you can find it, and really highlights "Nebraska."

No, I LOVE IT!!! Great story...when I was really young, the World-Herald would have pictures of bb action, and I was enthralled...my FAVORITE WAS WHEN BLUE HILL PLAYED RED CLOUD...:)

Reactions: huskerfan66

I'm pretty sure it is Lindsey holy family that went with Humphrey public

I'm pretty sure it is Lindsey holy family that went with Humphrey public
What'd they win - 3 state basketball titles in the last 4 years? Something like that. They had the Sjuts twins that were tremendous athletes.

Stromsburg combined with Benedict. It's now Cross Country.
Are Polk and Hordville also part of Cross County? Hordville had some good boys basketball teams in the late 70s and early 80s. I went to the state tournament one year with a buddy who had a lot of family there. At one point during a tight game he said "I'll see you later" and disappeared. Next thing, I see him leading cheers in the Hordville student section! I recall that Polk and Hordville eventually merged into one school, but they, along with Silver Creek, might all be part of that Cross County school.

Byron was alot the same way. Heaters in corners and round quonset type with tile floor. Many times there would be condensation on the floor under heaters which made it slick and interesting. As if tile wasn't slick enough to begin with.
I played in the Bee "Astrodome" back in 1969. We thought we were pretty cool. Now I believe it is still there but the grade school is closed.

Are Polk and Hordville also part of Cross County? Hordville had some good boys basketball teams in the late 70s and early 80s. I went to the state tournament one year with a buddy who had a lot of family there. At one point during a tight game he said "I'll see you later" and disappeared. Next thing, I see him leading cheers in the Hordville student section! I recall that Polk and Hordville eventually merged into one school, but they, along with Silver Creek, might all be part of that Cross County school.
Polk-Hordville combined with Clarks to form High Plains.

I taught in Bladen a million years ago. They consolidated with Roseland Silver Lake.

ADVERTISEMENT