ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Kool-aid!

dand84

Blackshirt
Oct 28, 2017
kool-aid-oh-yeah.gif

What are you biggest takeaways from the presser? Mine were strength, toughness and line play. I like his focus and vision on those aspects.

Reactions: Anegada1
Mentioning tough old school football not being some new spread team. Seems to be hinting at an offense more like Temple than Baylor, which I would prefer if forced to choose. Fullback in I formation? Yes please!

Running a flavor-of-the-month offense at Nebraska never made sense to me. It meant trying to out-recruit USC, Texas, Ohio State, and Alabama for recruits in California, Texas, Ohio, and Florida, which was doomed to fail.

Being different was Nebraska's bread and butter. Option quarterbacks who only had offers from coastal schools as a DB could remain a QB at Nebraska. Nebraska could take short, mauler type linemen rather than needing tall guys with long reaches for the passing game. It also meant those tough, strong in-state kids who maybe weren't so fleet of foot could play offensive line, TE, FB, etc. rather than watch from the stands.

Running a flavor-of-the-month offense at Nebraska never made sense to me. It meant trying to out-recruit USC, Texas, Ohio State, and Alabama for recruits in California, Texas, Ohio, and Florida, which was doomed to fail.

Being different was Nebraska's bread and butter. Option quarterbacks who only had offers from coastal schools as a DB could remain a QB at Nebraska. Nebraska could take short, mauler type linemen rather than needing tall guys with long reaches for the passing game. It also meant those tough, strong in-state kids who maybe weren't so fleet of foot could play offensive line, TE, FB, etc. rather than watch from the stands.
I wish I could like this post 100x...well said.

[…] It also meant those tough, strong in-state kids who maybe weren't so fleet of foot could play offensive line, TE, FB, etc. rather than watch from the stands.
Unfortunately for Nebraska, all those small schools are now closed and consolidated. Where you once had half a dozen schools all fielding a team you now have maybe 1 or 2 teams. Now some of those late bloomers and others simply don’t play.

This is why tOSU got steamrolled Saturday. Mich. Is now light years ahead of other programs in the conference. Mich. is now the light standard in the conference.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Unfortunately for Nebraska, all those small schools are now closed and consolidated. Where you once had half a dozen schools all fielding a team you now have maybe 1 or 2 teams. Now some of those late bloomers and others simply don’t play.
He said he was confused when he saw Neb. kids from fcs programs being drafted in the NFL. This confused him and wants to correct this.

Great post

Reactions: Mack In Motion

I would also add that coaching stability was key to our success.

Mentioning tough old school football not being some new spread team. Seems to be hinting at an offense more like Temple than Baylor, which I would prefer if forced to choose. Fullback in I formation? Yes please!
How does that align with our offensive coordinator hire?

kool-aid-oh-yeah.gif

What are you biggest takeaways from the presser? Mine were strength, toughness and line play. I like his focus and vision on those aspects.
I like recruiting kids that want to be here.

NIL is a perk and will play a role but kids come to play for the N. we've had record setting transfers the past 7 years. I think that could play well within the 500 mile radius too...and look forward to seeing it.

I’m a big fan of the Rhule hire, but the presser sounded like Trev wrote it. He hit every note that generic Husker fans would want to hear. Which is fine, but I hope it wasn’t just pandering. Let’s go to work. #RhuletheBIG

I’m a big fan of the Rhule hire, but the presser sounded like Trev wrote it. He hit every note that generic Husker fans would want to hear. Which is fine, but I hope it wasn’t just pandering. Let’s go to work. #RhuletheBIG

It does, but honestly the guy fits at Nebraska like a glove. The guy was literally a walk on at another blue blood program. He is all about developing guys and all lunch pail in his philosophy. The guy is genuine and you know he deeply respects the history of Nebraska football and is proud to be heading it IMO.

At Baylor, Rhule had at least 1 FB listed each year.

In years 1 and 2 he had 2 FBs listed, one was FB and an LB/FB hybrid.

In year 2 he had 2 FBs. In year 3 he had one FB.

They were all in the 6'1"- 6'2" and 231# to 240# range.
Thanks for the info, but its not so much about a “fullback”. Its a philosophy and making sure your only run plays arent inside and outside zone.
Watch the eagles last night. Damn thats beautiful. Just one example of dominant run game not necessitating a fullback all the time.
But pro style fullback is fine too. Single back, h backs, whatever.

Answer above answered my question. Temple ran some good power stuff with counter looks and down down kicks.

Reactions: dinglefritz
It does, but honestly the guy fits at Nebraska like a glove. The guy was literally a walk on at another blue blood program. He is all about developing guys and all lunch pail in his philosophy. The guy is genuine and you know he deeply respects the history of Nebraska football and is proud to be heading it IMO.
I watched the Fickell presser, too—just to make my own comparison. I still think LF is a great coach, but after today, I’m more convinced than ever that we got the right guy and the right fit for Nebraska.

H
kool-aid-oh-yeah.gif

ave heard that from the last 4 coaches. This times it’s real tho.

There was a huge difference in this presser from others. Everyone knows what MR’s vision is. He is clearly a CEO kinda coach. Adapts his style to the schedule and players.

Does anyone know what Frost’s vision was? Did you watch the Fickell presser? What is his vision for their program? MR is the right fit here.

In the little bit I did hear on the radio, he mentioned that he doesn't know everything about Nebraska, and there are still many, many things he'll learn. And that we need to be patient in that regard.

I suppose it isn't a fair comparison, but at least he didn't come in all Brian Kelley-like and butcher a southern accent?

Reactions: BleedRed78
In the little bit I did hear on the radio, he mentioned that he doesn't know everything about Nebraska, and there are still many, many things he'll learn. And that we need to be patient in that regard.

I suppose it isn't a fair comparison, but at least he didn't come in all Brian Kelley-like and butcher a southern accent?

That was classic. I forgot about that.

I watched the Fickell presser, too—just to make my own comparison. I still think LF is a great coach, but after today, I’m more convinced than ever that we got the right guy and the right fit for Nebraska.
Fickell is a doofus.

Reactions: merk0714
I concur with everything folks on here have pointed out. However, what really struck me was that he really did choose Nebraska and really decided this was the best option for him. This was not some "fall back" job for a dude with no other options. He had other offers from other schools and he could have just stayed out of coaching for a year, but Nebraska stood out to him as a very attractive job. I think that says a lot. It means that the Nebraska "brand" still means something. But more than that it means, as he stated, that he was impressed with the whole operation in Lincoln from the President on down through Trev and the fan base. GBR! The future is bright.

I concur with everything folks on here have pointed out. However, what really struck me was that he really did choose Nebraska and really decided this was the best option for him. This was not some "fall back" job for a dude with no other options. He had other offers from other schools and he could have just stayed out of coaching for a year, but Nebraska stood out to him as a very attractive job. I think that says a lot. It means that the Nebraska "brand" still means something. But more than that it means, as he stated, that he was impressed with the whole operation in Lincoln from the President on down through Trev and the fan base. GBR! The future is bright.
Look at the tail end of the contract after Carolina’s portion is gone. The money is insane. No doubt that was a big part of it. I do think he’s a great fit but let’s not kud ourselves. Money was a big factor.

The things I like were that he pointed out he didn't take this job because he was desperate. He could have sat home and enjoyed a year off with his family, but he has that itch to coach still. And I love his stories about Nebraska growing up because it feels like he choose this place because of the fit and not the money. I think he is going to work non-stop to make this team better as well.

Look at the tail end of the contract after Carolina’s portion is gone. The money is insane. No doubt that was a big part of it. I do think he’s a great fit but let’s not kud ourselves. Money was a big factor.
True, but her was going to get big bucks wherever he went. Maybe not as high as what we are offering, but still, nothing to sneeze at. And if he thought those other offers came with a better situation my gut says he would have taken one of them. He is already a rich man. And he could afford to be picky. He would not have come to Nebraska if we low-balled the offer, for sure, but I do not think money was the biggest issue. I could be wrong, but I do think he was sincere when he said he chose us because he saw it as the best fit.

I just finished going over his 3 seasons at Temple and what it looked like. Watched as many games as I could (there aren't many from 2013 or 2014).

1. 2013 saw interesting trends from the start of the year and what happened at the end. This will sound familiar, but Temple lost 6 one-score games. 3 of those were at the end of the season and all in a fow and Temple led all 3 of them. Rhule sat his starting QB and brought in true freshman PJ Walker early in the season.
  2. 2014 was quite a big change. The Temple defense really came alive. You could see trends starting: First SEC win in 75 years. First ranked team beaten in 16 years. Largest margin of victory in school history. Had all kinds of improvements in Defensive stats. Was bowl eligible but not invited (lost 3 games in a row at the end of the season).
  3. 2015 everything came together. You can see what he was trying to achieve. They only lose by 4 to a top 10 Notre Dame. They racked up some big wins versus teams they almost never beat (Cincinnati, PSU, and others).
Off to watch 3 seasons of Baylor next :p

True, but her was going to get big bucks wherever he went. Maybe not as high as what we are offering, but still, nothing to sneeze at. And if he thought those other offers came with a better situation my gut says he would have taken one of them. He is already a rich man. And he could afford to be picky. He would not have come to Nebraska if we low-balled the offer, for sure, but I do not think money was the biggest issue. I could be wrong, but I do think he was sincere when he said he chose us because he saw it as the best fit.
I agree the fit is right but if the money and length of contract wasn’t right he wasn’t taking our job. His contract is insane. 12M+ at the tail end.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
His lunch bucket is now solid gold, but your point is a good one. He can relate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT