ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Jim Delany ...

TheHuskeRed

Sophomore
Dec 9, 2006
You want to spare the poor fans of Michigan and Ohio State and PSU for being inconvenienced having to deal with the logistics nightmare of Friday games for their poor alumni and fan base (because of their "huge stadium" capacity) ... fine; no problem! However, all the extra revenue derived from this bush league adventure will then be divided up by those teams playing those Friday night games. Don't want to see the "privileged few" who get to sit in seats a little taller at the table get ANY additional TV revenue for this ridiculous and poorly orchestrated undertaking.

You want to spare the poor fans of Michigan and Ohio State and PSU for being inconvenienced having to deal with the logistics nightmare of Friday games for their poor alumni and fan base (because of their "huge stadium" capacity) ... fine; no problem! However, all the extra revenue derived from this bush league adventure will then be divided up by those teams playing those Friday night games. Don't want to see the "privileged few" who get to sit in seats a little taller at the table get ANY additional TV revenue for this ridiculous and poorly orchestrated undertaking.
Ummmmmmmmmm...the B10 is the only conference that does revenue sharing on gate...not sure the exact percentage but I think it is around 40% of each school's gate goes into a pool that is distributed equally amongst B10 schools (I know for conference games...not 100% sure for OOC). You might want to educate yourself because it might make you less angry. A few of the "privileged few" are giving money to other B10 schools just because we can fill 100k+ stadiums. I understand that NU is probably not a big benefactor in all this (compared to say an Indiana) but if you knew how the financials in this conference work you might just say "thank you Delaney for making us all a crap of load of money...thank you Big stadium schools for giving up revenue...it only makes sense that smaller programs (not meaning NU) pull their weight on Friday night"

Friday night game is kind of growing on me in all honesty. Not sure I understand how so many fans can get so excited about something as radical as changing conferences, and then turn around and have such an issue with moving one game every couple years up 16 hours.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
Friday night game is kind of growing on me in all honesty. Not sure I understand how so many fans can get so excited about something as radical as changing conferences, and then turn around and have such an issue with moving one game every couple years up 16 hours.

Its en vogue to defend the high school games that no one goes to, at present.

So should each school have a value or net worth determined and the media right dollars be divided up by that value? Uneven revenue sharing is a slippery slope. Be careful what you ask for.

Its en vogue to defend the high school games that no one goes to, at present.

Glad someone else said it, I really don't get the angst over this either. It's once every 3 years. I heard an espn talking head go on and on about how "bush league" this is. I have a feeling if the SEC did it, it would be "innovative, out of the box" thinking.

I think it really has more to do with trying to get more eyeballs on games by having them stretched over two days, rather than crammed into one. There still is a bit of stigma to it.. sort of like saying you low end guys play on Friday, while the marquee schools get to play on Saturday. But regardless, it's about more eyeballs, and more money. Everything this conference does is about the money.

I am not up on all this I must admit but does/will this cost us a recruiting weekend? If the high schools play on Friday night there is no way for them to get to Lincoln...I realize they can still come but the game day is part of the selling point.

I would say that people in Nebraska who support their high school football teams also support the Huskers (or another team that if this were to become a regular thing, it would lead to conflicts). The Husker fan that is a casual (or non-) high school fan isn't going to be impacted, but those who are involved in high school football will be (myself included). We're talking not just coaches, parents, and players, but other students and school support staff as well.

I am not up on all this I must admit but does/will this cost us a recruiting weekend? If the high schools play on Friday night there is no way for them to get to Lincoln...I realize they can still come but the game day is part of the selling point.

I believe our game next year is a Friday night road game.

My initial point in this post (I guess poorly stated) centers around the exclusion of the "privileged" few who due to stadium size, alumni following inconvenience, whatever are allowed bow out and not participate in Friday night games. We're all in or we're all out ... simple as that in my mind. If there ARE additional TV profits for going to 6 Friday night game a year, those profits can not and should not go to those "privileged" schools lacing them up on Saturdays (like all of the rest of us would like to continue to do). Don't give a damn about gate percentages ellobo; not what I am referring to. I'm talking about THE DIFFERENCE IN TV REVENUE FOR PLAYING GAMES ON FRIDAY AS OPPOSED TO WHAT THE TV REVENUE WOULD BE FOR CONTINUING TO PLAY ALL GAMES ON SATURDAY LIKE THE PRIVILEGED SCHOOLS WILL BE ALLOWED TO DO. But you feel free to spout off with all your superior knowledge.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Nebraska had the opportunity to opt out. They didn't and chose full participation. At that moment Nebraska and our fans can no longer blame Delaney , the league or any league school for not participating.

Call Eichorst. He is the decision maker

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
I hear you Tuco and previously heard that same explanation. Not sure it was as simple as B1G universities just saying no thanks to Delany. If that truly is the case and any/all of us could have just said no thanks then I am way off base and beg everyone's pardon ... I just have a difficult time believing the rest of the AD's simply had to shake their head no JD and this would have been tossed.

I'm absolutely pissed wi the big ten and our a.d. This is horrible and to be treated this way sucks. We just bent over and took it too. Our a.d. Obviously doesn't understand or care that many people that come to games aren't from Omaha or Lincoln, gasp.
This is a rear ending, plain and simple. Lee Barflect had a great article on it the other day. Screw Delaney.

I haven't seen any other games scheduled other than next year with Nebraska being AT Illinois. Their stadium capacity is 60,670 and they average 46,735 this year. A Friday night game definitely won't hurt their attendance numbers any. I think a game AT Nebraska could be rough though on a Friday night. Wonder if they agreed to Nebraska only doing Friday nights if they play on the road at a team similar to Illinois. Have they release any more Friday schedules that Nebraska will play in? State of Illinois has plenty of people to support College and High School on the same night. Nebraska on the other hand does not in my opinion. I would think it would be the same for Iowa.

Edited to put the schedule for 2017. Wisconsin is the only team that attendance may be impacted for next season but not sure how big HS football is in that state

Fri., Sept. 1 Washington at Rutgers
Fri., Sept. 1 Utah State at Wisconsin
Fri., Sept. 8 Ohio at Purdue
Fri., Sept. 29 Nebraska at Illinois
Fri., Oct. 13 Northwestern at Maryland
Fri., Oct. 27 Michigan State at Northwestern

Friday Nights are more sacred in the smaller communities than they are in Lincoln or Omaha. High School football is a big deal in a lot of these smaller towns. I don't like college games at all on Friday nights. In my opinion, Friday Nights are for high school kids to put on a show for their community.

I hear you Tuco and previously heard that same explanation. Not sure it was as simple as B1G universities just saying no thanks to Delany. If that truly is the case and any/all of us could have just said no thanks then I am way off base and beg everyone's pardon ... I just have a difficult time believing the rest of the AD's simply had to shake their head no JD and this would have been tossed.
It looks like each team had the ability to respond how they would participate, although I'm sure that Delaney called each AD to twist arms. There are only about 4 teams that are full participation - Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue and Maryland (and maybe Minnie, I can't remember). Michigan is the only team that said it would not play Friday nights, home or away. PSU said no to all home games. OSU said they would host a home game every three years, but only if it was during their fall break. A few teams said that they would only host a game on or before Labor Day weekend, which is why there are 2 games scheduled for that weekend in 2017. Because of so many "all in" teams are in our division, we will probably play at least one Friday night game most years, and possibly two in the year that we host a game.

Last edited:
Friday Nights are more sacred in the smaller communities than they are in Lincoln or Omaha. High School football is a big deal in a lot of these smaller towns. I don't like college games at all on Friday nights. In my opinion, Friday Nights are for high school kids to put on a show for their community.

Well, Nebraska is the smallest state in the B1G. If Delany has to weigh all options, its probably highly unlikely he's going to take Chadron into account.

To be clear I would prefer all Saturday games, or at the very minimum, have the AD cause a ruckus about us opting out, but if neither happens it does not seem to be a highly impactful event on the whole.

I will just about bet you the house that in 2018 on September 7th we will be playing a football game that was originally scheduled for Saturday, September 8th. That game is against Colorado, and since FOX now has the Tier 1 rights to Big Ten football (and they also have the rights to the Pac Ten) they will grab this game since it involves both conferences that they have the television rights to.

Well we played Kansas State in Tokyo once back in the last century some time. At least if they play a game in London it would start around 8:00 in the morning rather than 2:00 in the morning or whatever time it started when they played there (in Tokyo).

What the hell is Florida St doing playing on a Friday night? Don't they know they are elite and that Florida high school football is being played. Stupid ACC, they are ruining football
What the hell is Florida St doing playing on a Friday night? Don't they know they are elite and that Florida high school football is being played. Stupid ACC, they are ruining football
Take a look at how the mid-week game schedule has progressed for the ACC and you will see where the BIG is headed. It started with 3 Friday night games, now they have 3 Thursday and 5 Friday night games. The reasoning, according to an ACC assistant AD:

In this and future seasons, we will play five Friday games, an increase from three in previous seasons. Playing in a limited inventory of specialty games on Monday, Thursday and Friday affords our programs an exclusive platform before a guaranteed primetime national audience to showcase their football and athletic programs, as well as the broader institution. They are highly valuable for a number of reasons, and certainly among them is the financial value those games create for the ACC and its member institutions to continue to meet the needs of our student-athletes.

i.e. more $$$$

NSAA has released a statement about this. They recognize that in these instances games MAY be moved to Thursday or Saturday WHEN (once in a 3 year period) a husker home game becomes a part of this. www.nsaahome.org

Take a look at how the mid-week game schedule has progressed for the ACC and you will see where the BIG is headed. It started with 3 Friday night games, now they have 3 Thursday and 5 Friday night games. The reasoning, according to an ACC assistant AD:

In this and future seasons, we will play five Friday games, an increase from three in previous seasons. Playing in a limited inventory of specialty games on Monday, Thursday and Friday affords our programs an exclusive platform before a guaranteed primetime national audience to showcase their football and athletic programs, as well as the broader institution. They are highly valuable for a number of reasons, and certainly among them is the financial value those games create for the ACC and its member institutions to continue to meet the needs of our student-athletes.

i.e. more $$$$

I was being sarcastic. Sorry

I am not up on all this I must admit but does/will this cost us a recruiting weekend? If the high schools play on Friday night there is no way for them to gety to Lincoln...I realize they can still come but the game day is part of the selling point.
N

As long as coach Riley is ok with it I think an occasional Friday night game would be ok. I would love to see some high school games moved to Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT