ADVERTISEMENT

"Hey, America loves points" - Bob Diaco

chicolby

All-American
May 3, 2012
So in a press conference yesterday, Husker Defensive Coordinator talked at length about rule changes that have led to a significant advantage for offenses over defenses. This was based on a rule that changed in 2009 allowing offensive linemen to block downfield on pass plays.

LJS Story

While I appreciate the challenges defenses face due to this rule change, this rule is applicable for ALL defenses. I understand offensive numbers should be higher in general after the rule change vs. before the rule change, but that doesn't excuse why Nebraska would be 128th against the pass and 69th against the run. There are apparently 128 teams who, in spite of the rule changes, have fared better than the blackshirts.

I understand the Huskers are going through a transition on defense, and maybe the players don't all fit a 3-4 scheme, but it seems like players with directional names perform better than Nebraska. Aren't our guys still 3 star players on the field? It's hard for me to comprehend how rule changes have affected Nebraska more than other teams.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
So in a press conference yesterday, Husker Defensive Coordinator talked at length about rule changes that have led to a significant advantage for offenses over defenses. This was based on a rule that changed in 2009 allowing offensive linemen to block downfield on pass plays.

LJS Story

While I appreciate the challenges defenses face due to this rule change, this rule is applicable for ALL defenses. I understand offensive numbers should be higher in general after the rule change vs. before the rule change, but that doesn't excuse why Nebraska would be 128th against the pass and 69th against the run. There are apparently 128 teams who, in spite of the rule changes, have fared better than the blackshirts.

I understand the Huskers are going through a transition on defense, and maybe the players don't all fit a 3-4 scheme, but it seems like players with directional names perform better than Nebraska. Aren't our guys still 3 star players on the field? It's hard for me to comprehend how rule changes have affected Nebraska more than other teams.
This is the worst thing they ever did. See my post from last week about football not even being the same game anymore. Boring and unwatchable.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
This is the worst thing they ever did. See my post from last week about football not even being the same game anymore. Boring and unwatchable.
Does the NFL have a different rule? Honestly, this is the first I heard about this rule, but I'm still left scratching my head why some teams are able to perform well, considering the new rules. It's not as though every team is scoring 28-35 against Clemson, Bama, etc.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
New rule or no new rule our defense has been awful. I doubt that the ability of offensive lineman to block downfield is why Oregon's receivers were consistently wide open on post patterns thirty yards downfield on a 3rd and 15 play.

Reactions: TFrazier
Obviously not pleased with the performance of the D in the past two games. But at least on this board, the volume of negativity and level of vitriol from some re Diaco is also disappointing. I am hoping the guy gets it sorted out. Elliot died and someone else who wasn't expecting to coach DBs is thrown into the fire, Jones is injured, Kalu moved positions and is now nicked up, so a fair number of DBs are in the process of degreening. If things don't come around, have at it. But some of you need to take things down a notch or two.

Alabama, Clemson ...

Just reflect on FSU and Auburn games in Week 1 and Week 2, respectively.

Michigan State, Wisconsin and Iowa don't have the defense of the two national powers, but in the quest to reach Indianapolis, defense plays an important role.

No question, plenty of Power 5 programs have abandoned a defense first mentality.

Many programs don't blink an eye. The old saying goes, defense wins championships, but teams typically need plenty more than just the old motto.

Heck, in seven years under Urban Meyer, only one season stands out, 2014. It is important to have discpline and a consistent identity.

The offense in Columbus and secondary there has some chinks in the armor. However, they likely our still the team to beat for many.

Points for the sake of points likely will not work, but as we all know quite well, the object of the game is to score more than the opponent, then move on to the next day.

Nebraska is 1-1. Not a surprise. The OOC isn't the B1G West or conference play. There are nine games far B1G ...

Heck, when in a transition, it may come down to 6+ key games.

That's football.

Obviously not pleased with the performance of the D in the past two games. But at least on this board, the volume of negativity and level of vitriol from some re Diaco is also disappointing. I am hoping the guy gets it sorted out. Elliot died and someone else who wasn't expecting to coach DBs is thrown into the fire, Jones is injured, Kalu moved positions and is now nicked up, so a fair number of DBs are in the process of degreening. If things don't come around, have at it. But some of you need to take things down a notch or two.
First off, I think that's a fair statement and I try to balance patience with a new coach, new system, and young players with the fact that the first two teams moved the ball with so much ease, you'd have thought they were playing a scrimmage. At some point, remove any system, match up man for man and you'd think they'd have a better shot at slowing a team down from having their way.

At the end of the day, I'm optimistic, supportive and think we will see an improved performance before the end of the season. But I also don't think the coaches or team in general is above receiving criticism.

Does the NFL have a different rule? Honestly, this is the first I heard about this rule, but I'm still left scratching my head why some teams are able to perform well, considering the new rules. It's not as though every team is scoring 28-35 against Clemson, Bama, etc.
Clemson and Bama? I am sure they are trotting out average kids on defense to match up against RPO offenses just like Nebraska has been. Not every team has the players to run a high volume RPO offense (just ask Saban who complains about those offenses). If it was simple to stop these types of offenses, they would not be employed.
I compare it to trying to smooth-over a puddle of water with a hammer. No matter what ripples are going to happen because the opponent is getting downhill and causing disruption before the defense is allowed to read a play.
Nebraska fans will never understand this, because they want an aggressive "90s" defense.

Reactions: timnsun
It's hard for me to comprehend how rule changes have affected Nebraska more than other teams.

He didn't say it has affected Nebraska more than anyone else.

He said that today's defenses face significantly different challenges than they did before the 2009 rule change.

Having said that, it's clearly his job to have our defense not lay a giant turd in the first half of every game we play. Regardless of the rule.

Losing Elliot was HUGE. IMO, in game adjustments are hampered by not having him on the sideline ready to implement in game changes without waiting until halftime. His steady hand on the sideline would have been a big help when our DBs are getting whacked like they did in the first half at Oregon. We're 2 games in to a major defensive makeover with some new starters at key positions and guys re-learning a new linebacker responsibilities. Practice is fine but we can't replicate in practice what we've seen in game speed these last 2 weeks. We need to give this time to work.

Clemson and Bama? I am sure they are trotting out average kids on defense to match up against RPO offenses just like Nebraska has been. Not every team has the players to run a high volume RPO offense (just ask Saban who complains about those offenses). If it was simple to stop these types of offenses, they would not be employed.
I compare it to trying to smooth-over a puddle of water with a hammer. No matter what ripples are going to happen because the opponent is getting downhill and causing disruption before the defense is allowed to read a play.
Nebraska fans will never understand this, because they want an aggressive "90s" defense.
The problem with the old aggressive defense against the high speed offenses are glaring.

Usually it takes creative blitz packages, which are hard to get 11 guys to properly run that play when no time to set up.

Even a successful blitz is neutralized by the play usually being a 3 step drop, and the ball is gone.

Third of all, expecting them to be able to get the calls for creative blitzes is one thing, but the guys are in there first year in the system, so it would be much worse when you see all the guys shrugging their shoulders at the sideline because they cannot figure out their responsibilities quick enough.

Big ten offenses should be a breath of fresh air for this defense.

But I also don't think the coaches or team in general is above receiving criticism.
It's kind of one of those things though where we DO have a new system with basically guys playing new positions even though they played last year. It's so easy for us to get down on them and them on themselves. Why add to the criticism? We're not saying anything that hasn't already been said and that they don't already know. Like Mama always said, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say it"Winking. I think we can point out our disappointment without continually calling for a coach's job or questioning a kid's ability (not saying you have). I think it will get better but in any case we HAVE to give these guys time to learn from mistakes in games against game speed. The up tempo style definitely took advantage of our learning curve.

Reactions: StrongArm517
It starts up front. When Diaco was successful at Notre dame he had at least 4 linemen that were drafted (tuitt, nix, Lewis-moore, day) and a heisman candidate cleaning up behind them. Clemsons d line is so good they had a guy transfer so he could play more and would've walked in the door as by far our best lineman. Bama had the #1 player in the country on their d line who basically sat for 2 years. I don't want to belittle our own guys because I think they're good and will get better, but we don't have a tuitt or Dexter Lawrence or dashawn hand on our team let alone their supporting casts. This isn't to let Diaco off the hook, he should be able to still have success with what we've got. But we aren't gonna compete with teams like that without guys like parsons.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
It starts up front. When Diaco was successful at Notre dame he had at least 4 linemen that were drafted (tuitt, nix, Lewis-moore, day) and a heisman candidate cleaning up behind them. Clemsons d line is so good they had a guy transfer so he could play more and would've walked in the door as by far our best lineman. Bama had the #1 player in the country on their d line who basically sat for 2 years. I don't want to belittle our own guys because I think they're good and will get better, but we don't have a tuitt or Dexter Lawrence or dashawn hand on our team let alone their supporting casts. This isn't to let Diaco off the hook, he should be able to still have success with what we've got. But we aren't gonna compete with teams like that without guys like parsons.
IMO, we've got enough talent at most positions. What we lack maybe is a little speed in a linebacker or two and experience in several of our back 8. I think it will get better. I still think we have enough talent to challenge for a B1G title.

Reactions: StrongArm517
When is Jay Foreman on Sharp and Benning? I usually try to go listen to his segment on podcast. In his past discussions, I am pretty sure he doesn't think its necessarily a speed issue, but a communication and recognition issue. I also get the opinion that he doesn't like the way Diaco plays the OLB because it puts them in an almost impossible conflict.

When is Jay Foreman on Sharp and Benning? I usually try to go listen to his segment on podcast. In his past discussions, I am pretty sure he doesn't think its necessarily a speed issue, but a communication and recognition issue. I also get the opinion that he doesn't like the way Diaco plays the OLB because it puts them in an almost impossible conflict.
I think you're right. I haven't heard any teases for him on their show. Jay's really good at breaking things down. Much better than Benning IMO. I need to go look at their podcast to see if Jay is on still. I listened to a little of one of the OWH guys break things down yesterday and all I could say to myself was "man this guy's an idiot". Not going to say his name. He gets bashed on here enough already. I still listened....what does that make me?:oops:

IMO, we've got enough talent at most positions. What we lack maybe is a little speed in a linebacker or two and experience in several of our back 8. I think it will get better. I still think we have enough talent to challenge for a B1G title.
Yeah I don't think we're bad. But look at how many people we've had drafted the last few years and how many the elite programs have. The Davis twins and freedom and mick are good, but Clemson has 2 starters that are projected first rounders in this draft and arguably the best guy on their dline isn't even draft eligible yet. They also just got 11 sacks against auburn. I'm not saying we need that level of talent but we aren't even close right now.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Yeah I don't think we're bad. But look at how many people we've had drafted the last few years and how many the elite programs have. The Davis twins and freedom and mick are good, but Clemson has 2 starters that are projected first rounders in this draft and arguably the best guy on their dline isn't even draft eligible yet. They also just got 11 sacks against auburn. I'm not saying we need that level of talent but we aren't even close right now.
Clearly we don't have Clemson's talent across the board on D. Speed with size at a couple of positions most notably. Our NT is pretty good but he's not Clemson good. The Davis twins could probably play at Clemson. So could a couple of our guys on the back end but you're right, across the board we're not as talented. We're talented enough to compete in the B1G IMO though against most of the programs. OSU will be a struggle. We'll have to get some breaks against them to stay in the game.

His segment is loaded from this morning.
http://www.1620thezone.com/SharpandBenningPodcastPage.aspx

Thanks, listening now. Makes it pretty clear so far that a lot of our problems in the first half were how quickly our backers in particularly lined up correctly and then executing the correct coverage. Sounds like all of backers made some mistakes and in some cases were put in no win situations by the play call against our defensive alignment. Great breakdown of specific plays. Says NU played better defensively was the main change in the 2nd half. They did a few things different in the D line but mainly we did a better job overall on D.

Reactions: WHCSC
Foreman noted a match up where a mistake caused us to have a backer trying to match up in space with a 4.3 speed guy. Foreman also noted that NOT HAVING ELLIOT and his knowledge to help translate the sideline or allow Diaco to be on the sideline hurts. Noted that it would have been nice IF the offense could have allowed more time between possessions for the D to catch their breath in that first half. Foreman is so good. I could listen to him break things down all day. Unfortunately analyzing what went wrong is much easier than making players make the right decisions during games. It takes reps and learning from mistakes. Oregon's offense did what it's designed to do, create mismatches and make defenders make mistakes.

I saw Diaco's comment in line with what other DC's have done, primarily to lament what's happened to the game/their side of the ball, and not so much as "schools like NU have a standard of 35ppg allowed now".

I don't think Diaco has that standard.

Usually Wed mornings, I want to say between 8-9AM CST.

This rule was a pretty hot topic a year or so ago, but I'm no rules expert. Anyone please expand or correct what I got wrong.

Ineligible receiver is 3 yards downfield from the neutral zone in college. Prior to 2009, a lineman had to engage within 1 yard but could maintain that block until 3 yards out. 2009 the 1 yard engagement is removed. This could allow lineman to block a downfield LB (if within) 3 yards on a pass play. This may not be correct, I don't want to go research it. I know we had a college official poster on here, but they haven't been actively posting in awhile.

So Saban was going nutso a year or two ago wanting the rule changed to 1 yard max just like the NFL. The NCAA opts to keep 3 yards, but stresses to officials to enforce the current rule.

The "problem" is run-pass option plays and officials not calling ineligible receivers down field.

I didn't read the LJS article, but if this is the main excuse, I don't agree with that as reason for opponents putting up points on us in the first to games.

I think the problem defensive coaches have is that every play looks like a run. So advantage offense. So defenses, who use OL movement as a key for their DL or LB, are stuck waiting a second or two more before they can tell if it is run or pass. I don't think its an issue of officals not calling it, I think its just a case of giving one side of the ball a distinct advantage in timing. We utilize this same concept in our RPO game.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I think the problem defensive coaches have is that every play looks like a run. So advantage offense. So defenses, who use OL movement as a key for their DL or LB, are stuck waiting a second or two more before they can tell if it is run or pass. I don't think its an issue of officals not calling it, I think its just a case of giving one side of the ball a distinct advantage in timing. We utilize this same concept in our RPO game.
Exactly. Defense has been almost phased out. First step to touch football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT