ADVERTISEMENT

Henry Gray talking about the cold weather and Nebraska being his new home...GBR

huskerssalts

Defensive Coordinator
Oct 6, 2014
Beatrice Nebraska
New Husker knows the cold doesn't have to be recruiting con

Even lifelong Nebraskans could do without the cold we've experienced this last week. There is cold and then make-you-angry cold.

But, you know, toughen up. Miami native Henry Gray isn't angry about it at all. He seems ready to feel at home in it. The Husker early enrollee defensive back highlighted his reasons for coming to Nebraska in a recent video put out by the football program.

Within it, he points out one of the very things some schools may use to recruit against midwest and northern schools – the frigidness – is something he actually sees as a positive.

"I feel like if I'm going to go in to the league and play in some place like place like Green Bay, New England or Buffalo, then I feel like I got to be used to the cold," Gray said. "I can't wait until I get to the league when everybody has already been playing at cold schools and they're already used to it."

Two Times@_HG2X

This is my new Home
1f33d.png
1f534.png
26aa.png
#GBR

11:29 AM - Jan 22, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

205 people are talking about this

The 6-foot, 175-pound Gray was a leading force for powerhouse Miami Central High School, helping the team win a Florida 6A title this past season, a year after losing a hard-fought game to eventual champ Miami Northwestern, which produced Husker signees Marcus Fleming and Ronald Delancy III in the 2020 recruiting class.

Nebraska took seven recruits out of Florida in the 2020 class, and three of those are defensive backs already on campus – Gray, Jaiden Francois and Tamon Lynum. They no doubt now own warmer coats than they ever have before.

The cold, and the snow, can have its appeal to recruits in some circumstances. One of Nebraska's biggest wins of the 2020 recruiting cycle came in December when outside linebacker Keyshawn Greene committed to the Huskers after visiting Lincoln and seeing snow for the first time.

It's not like it was the deciding factor or anything, but it produced a pretty scene in his eyes.

“When I posted I was committed to Nebraska, everybody (coaches, friends and fans) started blowing my phone up and I didn’t talk back to them. The fans said I was dumb for my decision. I told them it’s my decision," Greene said then. “When I was there, seeing the snow, then I saw the field, they told me they get sold out crowds every year, it opened my eyes."

Nebraska also experienced great feedback from recruits who visited for the Michigan State game during Frost's first season in Lincoln in 2018. The game was played in wintery weather, with the Huskers winning a 9-6 defensive struggle.

A struggle that was sort of beautiful, because who doesn't enjoy some football in the snow?

"I was lucky enough to hang onto the NFL for a while. I played in Cleveland and in Green Bay. Loved my experience in those two places. It certainly wasn't warm there," Frost said after that game. "I think being in the Big Ten and getting to play in this type of football against these type of teams, in all conditions, prepares you better to have a chance at the next level.

"We were kind of lucky. A lot of the guys we had in town, we see as defensive players, and we won a game on defense. Some of them had seen snow, but had never seen snow falling from the sky. So I think they enjoyed it. It was a great scene."

Indeed, that AFC Championship in Kansas City this past Sunday wasn't played in honeymoon temperatures.

The tougher elements are not always your enemy in recruiting – not to everyone. Not to Gray. This is home now, even on the days those wheels slip a little on the ice.

"I just want to tell the fans to stay patient, that we're coming ..." said the new Husker. "We've got a young team and the future is looking bright."

I don't think the cold is a factor to most recruits. They realize you will be playing in cold in the NFL. The only ones who seem to have an issue with it is fans from southern schools. Seems to be mainly the FL ones, IE UCF.

Last edited:
But can he find his way to class through all the cornfields?
That always makes me laugh. Lincoln is the 3rd biggest city in the Big 10 I think. Columbus is tops. Minneapolis is 2nd. Even in the Big 12 we were 2nd in population behind Austin. Lincoln is not a cow town like the negative recruiters try to portray us. Anyone ever been to College Station, Lubbock or Norman? RollingLaugh

Last edited:
Reactions: 9and4 and gw2kpro
That always makes me laugh. Lincoln is the 3rd biggest city in the Big 10 I think. Columbus is tops. Not sure who is 2nd? Even in the Big 12 we were tops in population behind Austin. Lincoln is not a cow town like the negative recruiters try to portray us. Anyone ever been to College Station or Norman? RollingLaugh
I drove by norman once,that count?

I drove by norman once,that count?
College Station is a cool college town but it was out in the sticks. Was there in the end zone when Taylor hit Purify on the fade. Their fans were cool as shit. Stadium is impressive. They bought beers and partied with us after the game. They hated Texass as much as we did. If not more. If that's possible. Sick

College Station is a cool college town but it was out in the sticks. Was there in the end zone when Taylor hit Purify on the fade. Their fans were cool as shit. Stadium is impressive. They bought beers and partied with us after the game. They hated Texass as much as we did. If not more. If that's possible. Sick
Haven't been up there, my brother almost got a job up there,turned it down, said it was remote, another friend did a job up there, it snowed during the job, half the guys had trouble getting to the worksite, construction.
All I think of is deerhunter when I think of the area

Reactions: HBK4life
That always makes me laugh. Lincoln is the 3rd biggest city in the Big 10 I think. Columbus is tops. Minnesota is 2nd. Even in the Big 12 we were tops in population behind Austin. Lincoln is not a cow town like the negative recruiters try to portray us. Anyone ever been to College Station or Norman? RollingLaugh
Limiting NW to just Evanston, Illinois, is kinda silly.

I know its only 12 miles from Chicago but Evanston still smaller than Lincoln.
12 miles? The cities share Howard Street as a border. NW medical, law and business schools are in Chicago. The CTA runs to Ryan Field for heavens sake. None of that means that Lincoln is a cow town, your original point I think, but to focus solely on population is, I repeat, silly.

12 miles? The cities share Howard Street as a border. NW medical, law and business schools are in Chicago. The CTA runs to Ryan Field for heavens sake. None of that means that Lincoln is a cow town, your original point I think, but to focus solely on population is, I repeat, silly.
Ok. Got it. How come they still have a problem selling out their HS stadium then? Laughing

Finally a recruit who get it. 6 of the 10 NFL playoff games were played in cold weather cities. Hell it snowed the day before the Chiefs played the Texans and the windchill was in the single digits at kickoff of the AFC Championship game.

No one really likes cold, miserable weather. But if you openly admit that you can’t or won’t function in bad weather...well, there’s a word for that and it rhymes with nussy (people with actual medical conditions that are exacerbated by the cold are excused).

Way too much is made of the weather. Most people handle it just fine.

I lived in Cali for years, too hot in the summer, early spring,everything is brown until beginning of spring.
I missed the seasons, the fall colors, the cold,the brisk days.
Theres not many white Christmas' in Cali.

Lived in Lowsyanna too, it was better there, except for the stifling humidity and heat.

I still dont miss either places

I lived in Cali for years, too hot in the summer, early spring,everything is brown until beginning of spring.
I missed the seasons, the fall colors, the cold,the brisk days.
Theres not many white Christmas' in Cali.

Lived in Lowsyanna too, it was better there, except for the stifling humidity and heat.

I still dont miss either places
Where do you live now?

Gray has quietly been a strong recruiter behind the scenes and looks to be a leader in the making. Not to mention a 4 star playmaker. He is already one of my favorites from this class.
I believe Frost was quoted as saying Gray probably loves football more than anyone and would play in a parking lot if given the chance. He mentioned the peer recruiting and thought he had the makings to be a coach in the future.

We’re starting to get several of these guys and that leadership is so important.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT