ADVERTISEMENT

Henrich & Hickman...

Don’t worry, the Frost effect will take a couple of years to wear off.

If these players choose to go elsewhere it will be because they aren’t from here and had no real ties to the university no other reason.

Nebraska will have a class ranked between 19-24 and it will be because the players fit the system and are team players. Even though every other coach since 1998 recruited at a similar level.

Random grad transfer, who was a part time starter at a MAC school, may be the answer at CB. A grad transfer DL, who has played 2 games total since 2012, both games on offense, in special run packages, is being viewed as a solid move.

These two players may very well turn out to be great players at Nebraska, but Bo Pelini or Bill Callahan would have been ceremoniously criticized for using scholarships on these players. That just further illustrates how much patience the fan base has with Frost.

Yeah, the reason why we aren't criticizing him is he has already done miracles, just last year. None of our other coaches have come close to such results since 98'.

You must have been in a different world than I was. The majority of the fan base was ready to run Callahan out of town year one and a ton of fans never gave Riley a chance. The only time there was excitement about Callahan was during the recruiting process one year.

I have actively supported and justified every coach we’ve had, not just the ones I liked. I will continue to do that with Frost.

As far as leaving the cupboard bare or leaving huge holes in rosters, that has been used as a justification for every coach after Solich.
Yeah you must be in a different world.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
And again, Callahan's failure does not mean firing Solich was wrong. It means Callahan was a bad hire. I see it's tough for you to understand that concept.

Agree 100% with this.

You must have been in a different world than I was. The majority of the fan base was ready to run Callahan out of town year one and a ton of fans never gave Riley a chance. The only time there was excitement about Callahan was during the recruiting process one year.

Agree with the assessment that a ton of fans never gave Riley a chance and rightful so... I was one of those fans and proud of it.

Don't agree with the BC assessment. After year one a lot of Husker nation was pumped about the 2005 recruiting class

After year 2, most of us were excited about him still. Top 25 most of the year. Won the North. Had the Big 12 offensive player of the Year. Dam near beat a top 10 Auburn team in the bowl game. Hell going into 2007, people were saying NU is back. Wasn't until the USC game when stuff really started to go down hill.

As far as leaving the cupboard bare or leaving huge holes in rosters, that has been used as a justification for every coach after Solich.

And rightfully so. There is a reason they were fired. But if anything, I think people can make a case that BC did not leave the cupboard bare for Bo. And the ones that said that about BC pointed to the D-line, which in hindsight was not bare at all. We had two of the best DT's in school history on the roster.

[/QUOTE

Don't agree with the BC assessment. After year one a lot of Husker nation was pumped about the 2005 recruiting class

After year 2, most of us were excited about him still. Top 25 most of the year. Won the North. Had the Big 12 offensive player of the Year. Dam near beat a top 10 Auburn team in the bowl game. Hell going into 2007, people were saying NU is back. Wasn't until the USC game when stuff really started to go down hill. [/QUOTE]

When he was throwing Beau Davis out there in a 70-10 curb stomping loss to Texas Tech and losing to Southern Miss at home, there was no one excited for the future.

He turned it around in year two and finished the year ranked and in year three won the North but finished unranked. But my point is that year 1 people wanted him gone. He took a 10-3 team and turned into 5-6 team with embarrassing losses.

Callahan's first year was a disaster. His second year started slow, looked like it was going to completely collapse, then Zac Taylor came on and we had a good team at the end of the year winning against KSU, blowing out Colorado, and beating Michigan in one of the funnest bowl games we've had. His third year we had some good wins, some tough losses, and we won the North. His fourth year we weren't actually a terrible team... the coaches just completely lost the team. Similar to Riley in 2017.

Callahan's tenure and Riley's tenure are actually very similar. Their first seasons were both terrible disasters. Their final seasons were both terrible disasters where the team was lost. Callahan's third season was like Riley's second season, we had some good victories but collapsed toward the end of the season. Callahan had one more above .500 season.

We probably should have fired Riley after the Illinois game in 2015... Callahan after southern miss 2004.

Callahan's first year was a disaster. His second year started slow, looked like it was going to completely collapse, then Zac Taylor came on and we had a good team at the end of the year winning against KSU, blowing out Colorado, and beating Michigan in one of the funnest bowl games we've had. His third year we had some good wins, some tough losses, and we won the North. His fourth year we weren't actually a terrible team... the coaches just completely lost the team. Similar to Riley in 2017.

Callahan's tenure and Riley's tenure are actually very similar. Their first seasons were both terrible disasters. Their final seasons were both terrible disasters where the team was lost. Callahan's third season was like Riley's second season, we had some good victories but collapsed toward the end of the season. Callahan had one more above .500 season.

We probably should have fired Riley after the Illinois game in 2015... Callahan after southern miss 2004.
But to be fair, the only reason Callahan got the ax was because he refused to make coaching changes that needed to be done on the Defensive side of the ball. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Offense as it was actually pretty damn good!.Plus Callahan is regarded as one of the greatest recruiters in CFB history as he was already in the National CFB Recruiting Hall of Fame when he got here as well as he was/is regarded as a top tier OL coach!. I would've had no problem with Callahan coming back here and coaching the OL as he was/is light years better than any OL coach we've had since Uncle Milty. I believe that had Callahan changed out his Defensive staff, he might've still been here today. Now I'm not saying I was ever a fan of Callahan, I'm just stating facts for people to think about. GBR!

But to be fair, the only reason Callahan got the ax was because he refused to make coaching changes that needed to be done on the Defensive side of the ball. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Offense as it was actually pretty damn good!.Plus Callahan is regarded as one of the greatest recruiters in CFB history as he was already in the National CFB Recruiting Hall of Fame when he got here as well as he was/is regarded as a top tier OL coach!. I would've had no problem with Callahan coming back here and coaching the OL as he was/is light years better than any OL coach we've had since Uncle Milty. I believe that had Callahan changed out his Defensive staff, he might've still been here today. Now I'm not saying I was ever a fan of Callahan, I'm just stating facts for people to think about. GBR!
I definitely would NOT say that not making coaching changes was the ONLY reason Callahan got the ax.

Callahan's offensive designs were good, the coaching and play calling were not. The offense struggled a lot in his regime. In 2004 it was putrid. It was pretty terrible for much of 2005. We stubbed our toes a few times 2006 because of going away from the run game. He also refused to be aggressive against USC, opting to run run run so as to avoid a blowout.

In 2007, there were several games (Mizzou, Oklahoma State, USC) where the Offense couldn't do anything. A lot of stats and big numbers in 2007 because we were playing from behind when the game was out of reach. Started playing better when Ganz took over and they just started slinging it.

I definitely would NOT say that not making coaching changes was the ONLY reason Callahan got the ax.

Callahan's offensive designs were good, the coaching and play calling were not. The offense struggled a lot in his regime. In 2004 it was putrid. It was pretty terrible for much of 2005. We stubbed our toes a few times 2006 because of going away from the run game. He also refused to be aggressive against USC, opting to run run run so as to avoid a blowout.

In 2007, there were several games (Mizzou, Oklahoma State, USC) where the Offense couldn't do anything. A lot of stats and big numbers in 2007 because we were playing from behind when the game was out of reach. Started playing better when Ganz took over and they just started slinging it.
I always thought Joe Ganz should've been the starter, Taylor got it because of experience and older than Ganz but on the other side of the ball what pissed me off was the lack of playing time Ganz got. One thing that was a fact was that the only one that knew Callahan's playbook better than he did was Callahan and that included even Zac Taylor. Ganz got screwed in 07 as Callahan promised Keller's dad that he would be named starter in 07. It showed how well Ganz knew the playbook when he took over for Keller when he went down for the rest of the season with a knee injury and Ganz never looked back. Ganz in my opinion would've been the perfect fit for Frost's Offense as he had wheels and could run almost as well as he threw the ball!

Don’t worry, the Frost effect will take a couple of years to wear off.

If these players choose to go elsewhere it will be because they aren’t from here and had no real ties to the university no other reason.

Nebraska will have a class ranked between 19-24 and it will be because the players fit the system and are team players. Even though every other coach since 1998 recruited at a similar level.

Random grad transfer, who was a part time starter at a MAC school, may be the answer at CB. A grad transfer DL, who has played 2 games total since 2012, both games on offense, in special run packages, is being viewed as a solid move.

These two players may very well turn out to be great players at Nebraska, but Bo Pelini or Bill Callahan would have been ceremoniously criticized for using scholarships on these players. That just further illustrates how much patience the fan base has with Frost.

This post is stacking the deck. After this year, how many games will Frost led teams average for wins per year ?

Do you believe Frost will be fired?

Reactions: oldjar07
[/QUOTE

After year 2, most of us were excited about him still. Top 25 most of the year. Won the North. Had the Big 12 offensive player of the Year. Dam near beat a top 10 Auburn team in the bowl game. Hell going into 2007, people were saying NU is back. Wasn't until the USC game when stuff really started to go down hill.

When he was throwing Beau Davis out there in a 70-10 curb stomping loss to Texas Tech and losing to Southern Miss at home, there was no one excited for the future.

He turned it around in year two and finished the year ranked and in year three won the North but finished unranked. But my point is that year 1 people wanted him gone. He took a 10-3 team and turned into 5-6 team with embarrassing losses.[/QUOTE]

Callahan's offenses were only getting better, and they were fairly potent towards the end. I didn't want Callahan fired. I wanted him to completely retool his defense.

And Pelini's match zone; Ego has done these coaches in.

Riley didn't care. He wasn't interested.

I very much disagree.
This has been the flavor of the month revisionist history that has become the cool thing to say in tecent years, but it isnt true. There were many issues in that program and callahan himself was directly related to the defensive woes.
He was a terrible college head coach, period.

I disagree. I think fans are just being realistic. They know Frost got a very late start in our recruiting process and still managed to pull in a top 25 class. They further know that Riley left some big roster holes at CB and OT and a bit at DT. Therefore, they understand that Frost is scouring the nation turning over every rock and looking around every corner to try as best he can at this late stage to fill those gaps. They respect the pugnacious tenacity of this staff to fight for an infusion of talent sooner rather than later. They respect this staff's sense of urgency.

The coming year will be a different story. If the 2019 class ends as the 25th rated class I think people will still cut Frost slack and wait to see how he develops those players in his system. However... there will be some disappointment and unease: "shit... same rating as before...". There will be grumbles.

As for a double standard with regard to Frost vis-a-vis previous coaches... that is only natural and says nothing about our fan base. He is a new coach who has generated a ton of enthusiasm. So people are getting on the hope train and giving him the benefit of the doubt. But guess what? We acted that way too with Callahan, Pelini, and even Riley in their first year. Yes, the fans turned on those coaches but not until they had underachieved. But early on in their tenure here fans were cutting them slack, defending them, and giving them the benefit of the doubt, just as we are doing with Frost now.

I agree with this

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I very much disagree.
This has been the flavor of the month revisionist history that has become the cool thing to say in tecent years, but it isnt true. There were many issues in that program and callahan himself was directly related to the defensive woes.
Agree the offense was never that great under Callahan. 2006 where we had a decent defense and offense was about the height of what Callahan was ever going to get to.

I very much disagree.

I don't agree with this. He was an excellent recruiter, and he could identify talent. He is a pro coach and didn't want all the extra duties.

I wish we had his offense with something similar too the 2009 defense. We may have had another MNC.

Agree the offense was never that great under Callahan. 2006 where we had a decent defense and offense was about the height of what Callahan was ever going to get to.

I am not an apologist. These men were all about their ego. Callahan's offenses were good, and now that I really think about it, I'm surprised Pelini averaged nine wins, because neither offense nor defene were good.

Iowa sucks, and the Huskers will prevail.

I hate to break it to you but Frost offense is more fluff ball than you want to admit. But keep dreaming of the power run game that isn't coming to Lincoln anytime soon. When Frost calls a pass play on 4th and 2 from the 2 or when he call 4 straight pass plays to start a game, or the QB has 35 pass attempts, your head will explode.

And your reading comprehension is as bad as your understanding of Frost's offense. I never said Riley wasn't given a chance, I said people never gave him a chance and were bitching and moaning from the jump. That is a huge difference from "poor buy never had a chance".

Lastly, subsequent hires not working out does not mean "firing Frank" was not the right call.

If NU outscores the opposition at the end of the game, what difference does it make how he does it. Take what we can get and when we can get it. So, are you trying to raise controversy by your speculation that SF will not have the style you prefer? I don't understand that you appear to be criticizing the theory you seem to have formulated that SF will not be"tough enough".

SF has stated on more than one occasion that he wants to combine the old Husker power game with the basketball on grass of chip kelly. It may take awhile to do that, but that is what he is trying to do, it seems.

He hasn't even coached a game, yet, so why the seeming criticism?

Reactions: Nebyank
Riley never had a chance with some of us because we actually watch football games other than Nebraska.

I very much disagree.

100% correct.

His offense was grossly over-rated as he piled up HUGE yards & scores during garbage time vs the opponent's water boys while the Huskers were totally destroyed by half-time.

I have actively supported and justified every coach we’ve had, not just the ones I liked. I will continue to do that with Frost.

Good post.... I agree

If NU outscores the opposition at the end of the game, what difference does it make how he does it. Take what we can get and when we can get it. So, are you trying to raise controversy by your speculation that SF will not have the style you prefer? I don't understand that you appear to be criticizing the theory you seem to have formulated that SF will not be"tough enough".

SF has stated on more than one occasion that he wants to combine the old Husker power game with the basketball on grass of chip kelly. It may take awhile to do that, but that is what he is trying to do, it seems.

He hasn't even coached a game, yet, so why the seeming criticism?

I think you are misinterpreting my point. I have no problem with Frost’s offense. I just believe it is more finesse than power and will continue to be. There is a segment of the fan base that reads the words “run game will be a priority” and automatically think we will see them running the ball down everyone’s throat and bludgeon them. That isn’t what is going to happen. This team will throw the ball 30-35 times per game on average. There is no criticism of the offense on my part. Just criticism of posters.

Lastly, he has coached games. That is where I base my opinion on how the offense will run. If you think he is making huge changes to his base offensive philosophy fine, but the balance is what makes the offense go. Even if he morphs the zone blocking scheme into a more power run scheme, it will still rely on run/pass balance to make it operate at peak efficiency.

Reactions: mebeinme0831
This post is stacking the deck. After this year, how many games will Frost led teams average for wins per year ?

Do you believe Frost will be fired?

How is it stacking the deck? The guy said he hopes the fan base will show patience even if Nebraska doesn't get the two Burke kids. My reply said that the fan base is still in it's honeymoon stage with Frost and I used the gushing over a DL lineman that has played 2 games in 6 years as one example of that fact. The other player I made mention of is looking to graduate in August and leave the MAC school he is currently at, where he started 7 games last year. Further evidence that the fan base will have patience with Frost.

Don't make it more than it is.

As far as the number of games the team will win, I am on record saying they will win 8 games this season. I would assume they will win more the next. But that doesn't change the fact that my original point was that the fan base will have plenty of patience with Frost.

I think you are misinterpreting my point. I have no problem with Frost’s offense. I just believe it is more finesse than power and will continue to be. There is a segment of the fan base that reads the words “run game will be a priority” and automatically think we will see them running the ball down everyone’s throat and bludgeon them. That isn’t what is going to happen. This team will throw the ball 30-35 times per game on average. There is no criticism of the offense on my part. Just criticism of posters.

Lastly, he has coached games. That is where I base my opinion on how the offense will run. If you think he is making huge changes to his base offensive philosophy fine, but the balance is what makes the offense go. Even if he morphs the zone blocking scheme into a more power run scheme, it will still rely on run/pass balance to make it operate at peak efficiency.

I see what you are trying to say.

Interesting after coming back from his official from Wisconsin this past weekend.

I agree. Sam McKeon just threw in a crystal ball prediction for him to be N this morning as well. We'll see how it all shakes out. I would love to get this guy and his teammate Hickman signed though!

Reactions: scarletred

He turned it around in year two and finished the year ranked and in year three won the North but finished unranked. But my point is that year 1 people wanted him gone. He took a 10-3 team and turned into 5-6 team with embarrassing losses.

Callahan's offenses were only getting better, and they were fairly potent towards the end. I didn't want Callahan fired. I wanted him to completely retool his defense.

And Pelini's match zone; Ego has done these coaches in.

Riley didn't care. He wasn't interested.[/QUOTE]
The TT game for Callahan showed me he had a propensity towards self destruction. To put Davis out there and have him keep throwing was imo a firable offense. When Riley took a backup Qb and had him throwing it all over the place against a bad rush defense in Purdue, he also demonstrated he was doomed to fail

60% completions 407 yards and 4 TDS. The 4 Ints sucked for sure.

The run game was horrible and Purdue sold out to stop the run and make Fyfe beat them. If you take out a 20 yard reverse and a 40 yards Newby had on 2 runs AND add back the 35 yards in sacks. Nebraska had 19 rushes for 50 yards. Not exactly stellar.

In case you don’t remember, the defense gave up 450+ yards and 55 points.

After halftime, Nebraska scored to make the game 21-16 Purdue leading. Purdue promptly scored on an 13 play 80 yard drive and an 83 yard TD pass to go up 35-16. From that point on Nebraska had to pass because your down 3 TDS and your defense is struggling to get stops or run the ball and concede victory.

Riley was a bad choice but I am not sure the offensive play calling was to blame in this particular game.

Reactions: headcard
I feel like we have a better shot at Heinrich. Getting 1 of them would be really nice. I feel like we're being set up to see these kinds of players stay in years to come. We were behind on these kids from the get go and if we can keep 1 I'll be happy. Both would be tremendous

Reactions: cornhustler
I feel like we have a better shot at Heinrich. Getting 1 of them would be really nice. I feel like we're being set up to see these kinds of players stay in years to come. We were behind on these kids from the get go and if we can keep 1 I'll be happy. Both would be tremendous
Why’s that? I thought we had a better shot with Hickman, at least that’s what the “crystal balls” are saying.

Last edited:
Frost is going to control the immediate future and his destiny. If athlete A doesn’t want come here, so be it. SF will get boys to come play here....and succeed

Why’s that. I thought we had a better shot with Hickman, at least that’s what the “crystal balls” are saying.

I think because Henrich has had a few predictions go our way more recently, while both of them, Hickman in particular, are pretty tight-lipped and "not impressed" with the recruiting so far.

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...7c.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
“I have narrowed it down, but I’m keeping that just between me and my family and close friends,” Henrich told the Journal Star on Monday evening after wrapping up an unofficial visit to Nebraska.

It was also an opportunity to catch up with inside linebackers coach Barrett Ruud, who’s leading Henrich’s recruitment both as his potential position coach and as NU’s lead in-state recruiter.

“We talk a ton and we have a great relationship,” Henrich said. “I really like him as a person and as a coach.”
“It was a fantastic visit,” Henrich said.

The 6-foot-4, 210-pounder has been to NU’s campus several times, including an unofficial trip during spring ball in April. That day he watched practice and toured facilities. This time around, he actually got to spend most of the day with current players.

Nebraska is in the midst of its own summer workouts and also has representatives from the leadership training group The Program on campus early this week.

Reactions: cornhustler
Why’s that. I thought we had a better shot with Hickman, at least that’s what the “crystal balls” are saying.

Just going with the fact that Heinrich is making trips to campus and actually seems on the road to making a choice and has been vocal about how much he likes the Nebraska staff. I haven't looked at crystal balls. Haven't heard a lot from Hickman lately that I know of.

Reactions: headcard
I'll never understand why this board is so consumed with talk of firing coaches. Seems like discussing current, future, and past players is far, far more interesting.

Henrich has narrowed his list but will not disclose except for family and close friends..

After yesterday I think Nebraska is pretty high on his list.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT