ADVERTISEMENT

Helton out at USC

the pac & b1g are very similar, the difference being they're typically underrated and the b1g is overrated at the start of the year

there is nothing to suggest franklin would do any better at usc than he's doing at psu except conjecture. the reasons you'll point to are identical to the reasons everyone thought frost would succeed at NU.

Now we got people comparing James Franklin and Scott Frost to each other. How ridiculous does it get? Since James Franklin has been in the Big my guess is he if you only use complete season that he is 2nd or 3rd best in the Big 10 including a Big 10 championship. Frost is probably 2nd or 3rd from the BOTTOM for Pete's sake. I don't think Frost has even 1 win against a ranked team since he has been at Nebraska.

I don't think people understand how hard it is to have top 10 recruiting classes in Happy Valley. Some fans will bash opposing coaches who have done way better than there teams just because they have a computer. No real reasons outside of said coach coaches for a rival, constantly gets glorified or maybe he doesn't have the "right" skin color.

I'm glad I don't run my business that way. Don't hate,...give props where its due, LEARN and do better...

Now we got people comparing James Franklin and Scott Frost to each other. How ridiculous does it get? Since James Franklin has been in the Big my guess is he if you only use complete season that he is 2nd or 3rd best in the Big 10 including a Big 10 championship. Frost is probably 2nd or 3rd from the BOTTOM for Pete's sake. I don't think Frost has even 1 win against a ranked team since he has been at Nebraska.

I don't think people understand how hard it is to have top 10 recruiting classes in Happy Valley. Some fans will bash opposing coaches who have done way better than there teams just because they have a computer. No real reasons outside of said coach coaches for a rival, constantly gets glorified or maybe he doesn't have the "right" skin color.

I'm glad I don't run my business that way. Don't hate,...give props where its due, LEARN and do better...
I'm not sure your assessment about how hard it is to recruit to Happy Valley is accurate. Every coach at PSU has recruited very well including during their probation and reduced scholarship numbers due to the Sandusky scandal. Every single one. Now granted they haven't had 4 losing seasons in a row. PSU is located in a HUGE recruiting area that can pull from a population base many times greater than NU within their 500 mile radius. I just don't see the difficulty recruiting there when Franklin took over. That's not saying he's not a good recruiter.

Nebraska has been a dumpster fire since we fired Callahan. Bo got some good players but not enough of them. At the end of his tenure his public antics had hurt us in living rooms. Riley's recruiting was a shell game at best. We landed some 4 star guys who other teams had backed off due to their senior year performances. Yet even a few of Riley's guys worked out pretty well in Frost's system. It's a CATCH 22. We're at the stage where the bloom is off the rose. We need to recruit better but that's damned tough with 4 losing seasons in a row. Losing begets poorer recruiting and poor recruiting perpetuates losing. Frost needs to win now.

I'm not sure your assessment about how hard it is to recruit to Happy Valley is accurate. Every coach at PSU has recruited very well including during their probation and reduced scholarship numbers due to the Sandusky scandal. Every single one. Now granted they haven't had 4 losing seasons in a row. PSU is located in a HUGE recruiting area that can pull from a population base many times greater than NU within their 500 mile radius. I just don't see the difficulty recruiting there when Franklin took over. That's not saying he's not a good recruiter.

Nebraska has been a dumpster fire since we fired Callahan. Bo got some good players but not enough of them. At the end of his tenure his public antics had hurt us in living rooms. Riley's recruiting was a shell game at best. We landed some 4 star guys who other teams had backed off due to their senior year performances. Yet even a few of Riley's guys worked out pretty well in Frost's system. It's a CATCH 22. We're at the stage where the bloom is off the rose. We need to recruit better but that's damned tough with 4 losing seasons in a row. Losing begets poorer recruiting and poor recruiting perpetuates losing. Frost needs to win now.
The ONLY people who didn't like Bo In their living were SOME people in Lincoln. We looked like asses to rest of the country for firing a guy winning 9-10 games a year and going to conference championships every other year.

A guy who finished 9-3 with a win over Iowa in his last game. To this day I get tired of people coming up to me telling me how stupid of a program we are.

I can't explain how that feels when you outside of the myopic environment of Nebraska with fans who know what bad coaches look like (FSU, Florida, Miami..even Alabama and Georgia when they were down.

We look like ASSES....most in Nebraska area don't know because they sit round drinking each other koolaid and the MEDIA there are perennial CIRCLE JERK!

And those bad players Bo had won 9-10 games every year. Also the last All-American, All Conference and multi round draft picks until last year. He may not have been your "recruiter" buy he damn sure knew how to DEVELOP!

It's not entirely income tax. It's insurance costs, fuel prices, ridiculous real estate costs, etc. I probably exaggerated the effect of the income tax but there is no doubt that it's a helluva lot more expensive to live in LA than other areas of the country. You have to add in Los Angeles's 9.3% city income tax to the equation as well. That's 22%+ going for state and local income taxes. That's still over a million more per year in income tax on a 5 million dollar salary than they would pay in Texas or Florida.
Yes. $5 million in CA is worth less than $3 million in many other places in the US, but that's largely cost of living, and not taxes. If conservatives would run the state better, that would probably bid up the prices of homes there, because even more wealthy people would want to live there.

The ONLY people who didn't like Bo In their living were SOME people in Lincoln. We looked like asses to rest of the country for firing a guy winning 9-10 games a year and going to conference championships every other year.

A guy who finished 9-3 with a win over Iowa in his last game. To this day I get tired of people coming up to me telling me how stupid of a program we are.

I can't explain how that feels when you outside of the myopic environment of Nebraska with fans who know what bad coaches look like (FSU, Florida, Miami..even Alabama and Georgia when they were down.

We look like ASSES....most in Nebraska area don't know because they sit round drinking each other koolaid and the MEDIA there are perennial CIRCLE JERK!

And those bad players Bo had won 9-10 games every year. Also the last All-American, All Conference and multi round draft picks until last year. He may not have been your "recruiter" buy he damn sure knew how to DEVELOP!
There wasn't a single national media guy that I listened to or read who didn't understand why Pelini got fired. Have you forgotten that audio from the "secret meeting"? Guess what. One of his players recorded that and in order for him to do that other players had to know he was doing it. Pelini was a train wreck. I did in fact give him credit for recruiting some good players. Rex and Lavonte were a couple. Most of this best players during his tenure were recruited by Callahan though. Please name for me ONE single outstanding player that Bo left for Riley. You know, All American high NFL draft pick kind of a guy. Armstrong was a decent QB recruited by Beck. Barney had a couple of pretty good O linemen that he had recruited.

Reactions: headcard

So P5 programs all over the nation were lined up to hire Bo then, right?

Last edited:

I didn’t know Pelini posted on here.

So P5 programs all over the nation were lined up to Bo then, right?
The guy was an embarrassment. Yeah he won some games but the vast majority of Husker fans I know wanted him gone. Obviously most of those people would take the 9 wins right now but there's no way they want the behavior. He's done coaching in college unless somebody hires him to coach DBs or linebackers.

Reactions: Mack In Motion

Bo did ok with Callahan's recruits, by the time Bo had all his recruits we were getting more numerous blowout losses.

Bo did ok with Callahan's recruits, by the time Bo had all his recruits we were getting more numerous blowout losses.
Don't get me wrong, Bo got some really good players at times. Just not enough of them. Our D line recruiting sucked with Carl and picked up almost immediately when we hired Kaz. We now know he had his own demons. Bo found some good DBs in part due to his DB coaches. Any of Bo's recruiting successes lay directly at the feet of the assistants recruiting because Bo did virtually nothing on that front. Given Suh's and Crick's success, it's hard to believe how bad Carl recruited for his D line.

James Franklin has to have the best agent ever. Outside of Jon Gruden.

"Yeah, James, I tossed your hat on the ring for the opening at USC, Tyson Foods plant manager opening, and for a high school principal spot. Keeping your name out there. "

Reactions: dinglefritz

Yet, with all those above listed successes, Bo Pelini never won shit here.

Ever.

Then he went to YSU and didn't win shit once the Nebraska players he brought with him left.

When he left, he was teetering on the brink of getting fired in his hometown because his defense sucked.

Then onto LSU where his defense was so impressive he lasted not even one season.

Fill us in: Where's he been coaching since he got canned?

The day will come when we get someone in the door that can coach.

The guy was an embarrassment. Yeah he won some games but the vast majority of Husker fans I know wanted him gone. Obviously most of those people would take the 9 wins right now but there's no way they want the behavior. He's done coaching in college unless somebody hires him to coach DBs or linebackers.
If you can win 9 games per year consistently that should set you up for bigger and better like recruiting elite HS talent. Not so much with Bo.
Seemed like he thought he could use it to find another job. That pretty much ended when Wisconsin clowned him in the CCG.

Reactions: dinglefritz

Living in Alabama where there are a lot of people who follow CFB, I never once met anyone who questioned letting Bo go. Solich yes, Bo no.

Yes. $5 million in CA is worth less than $3 million in many other places in the US, but that's largely cost of living, and not taxes. If conservatives would run the state better, that would probably bid up the prices of homes there, because even more wealthy people would want to live there.
You obviously haven't lived in California.

So yea the 5 hicks who who are still can't even apologize for stupid they were wanting To fired and how embarrassing we have been since he has been gone are exactly the reason why we can't have nice things! Karma is a motha****a and that's why y'all happy with traks with been dealt with.

Went from the 5th winningest program to the barely in the TOP 10 in less than 6 ,years!! Because a few pussies got mad cuz Bo called they punks assesses out cuz they left the game early in a game we WON against Ohio State! Matter of fact that's the last game we won against OSU. Yet you make every excuse innthe world for every coach we had since who have been TRASH in EVERY way..... coaching, development, scheming and RECRUITING!!!

I read threw this thread and wanted to post many times.
Just a few things to share ...
Being an alumnus of PS and in my 35 season as a season ticket holder. I have made friends in several depts thru the years. I have spoken to them and we beat writers that have regular interactions with James. They all believe that while his agent might have spoken with representatives from USC. James honestly has no interest in leaving State College.
His daughters are truly happy with their school and are close to James family. He talks all the time how being from PA, that PS was/is his dream job (being he is a PA native) Some call it an act, but I have spoke to him every year he’s been at PS. Perks of donating money for renovations I guess. I have never left those conversations things anything other than he open and genuine.

Our Board Of Trustees is well to be honest is full of self serving bureaucrats. They became a custom to Joe and his way of doing things. Joe was not only the head coach but was the Big Man on Campus. He was also the main fundraiser for the school. He could raise $10-20M by just making a few calls. The football team supported athletics as a whole. They had very little turnover on the staff. So they didn’t have to pay competitive prices for people. Joe never took more than $1M dollars in salary so why should they. Joe was old school, he would say where you practice didn’t make you better hard work did. It’s was true but it also put Penn state waaay behind other schools in the facilities department.

Fast forward to James being hired. He came from the $ec. Fancy facilities stadiums with bells & whistles that all help recruiting. We don’t have any of that. Threw hard work he’s has done great things to compete in the B1G. The staff turnover rate is high, because he just can’t pay the competitive price for coordinators most others can. So he hires young up & coming guys that keep leaving for better position

If I had to venture a guess on why his name keeps coming up in coaching vacancies I can think of a few.

1) He uses these potential jobs to squeeze the BOT for money.
Our budget for staff salaries has increased by several million dollars since 2014

2) The Lasch foot complex is under going a 3 stage complete renovation. It’s in the final stages of it currently but has cost some $98M

3) The stadium is 83 years old. While it has been expanded over the years. It’s very antiquated compared to most. (Memorial stadium is so much better in every way. Our west side suite is NFL caliber)
He been promised a major upgrade to it but honestly it just needs to be replaced.
We need professional suites, and comfort, working bathrooms & a press area that is modern.
It’s the consensus of us State fans/ alumni he has his agent keep his name out there.
To keep the pressure on our walking dead BOT to keep their promises and get the stadium addressed ASAP. We have zero doubts that James could do better at schools like Southern Cal, Texas, Florida St. All of which he has been mentioned as in the running for.

Does want to leave, No, but that doesn’t mean that he won’t get frustrated enough to go.

So yea the 5 hicks who who are still can't even apologize for stupid they were wanting To fired and how embarrassing we have been since he has been gone are exactly the reason why we can't have nice things! Karma is a motha****a and that's why y'all happy with traks with been dealt with.

Went from the 5th winningest program to the barely in the TOP 10 in less than 6 ,years!! Because a few pussies got mad cuz Bo called they punks assesses out cuz they left the game early in a game we WON against Ohio State! Matter of fact that's the last game we won against OSU. Yet you make every excuse innthe world for every coach we had since who have been TRASH in EVERY way..... coaching, development, scheming and RECRUITING!!!
Drunk post much?

Reactions: headcard

That rant about people leaving the game had nothing to do with Bo getting fired. He got fired because he day in and day out he was an ass to employees in the athletic department, the media and fan base. He was an embarrassment to the University and the state of Nebraska. The blowout losses to teams that on paper he should have been competitive with was the main reason he got fired but all he had to do was act like a somewhat normal human being and he would have kept his job. Goodness, IF you're a Husker fan, how can you defend him after that recording leaked out? Character is what you do when you think nobody is looking.

WTF was that??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT