ADVERTISEMENT

Helium is non-renewable

I meant big as in BIG ten. And us as in NU FB.
Could, I don't know what it takes to buy helium from the government, but they could try and then sell it for real market value when the government runs out and the private companies start selling it for its true value.

It's a dumb tradition.

However, the real problem with helium is that it can only be created by a star. And the United States has a huge supply of it. But then Congress got tired of paying a tiny amount of money every year to maintain the supply, so they decided in their infinite wisdom to dump it. You know, because stars can always make more. So now our storage of helium is 1/4 of what it was in 1980. But thankfully stars can always make more.

The balloon release is super dumb. Anybody over the age of seven who goes for it needs to be put in a giant diaper with a pacifier in their mouth and publicly ridiculed.
Actually, this is not true. The two lightest elements, hydrogen and helium, were created in the Big Bang itself. The heavier elements, like carbon, came later and were formed in stars and then spread as a result of stars exploding. Most helium on earth comes now from the radioactive decay of uranium and thorium. We are in no danger of running out of helium, and the release of 2000 balloons or so by Nebraska fans six or seven times a year is no big deal.
I am no stranger to public ridicule. So go ahead...

The balloon release is super dumb. Anybody over the age of seven who goes for it needs to be put in a giant diaper with a pacifier in their mouth and publicly ridiculed.

If I can trade the pacifier for the 'real thing,' I'm in.

And that thing you guys do with the balloons after the first score is the most unnecessary tradition in college football. Have you ever seen it on TV? It looks like a limp wrist. The "black shirts" is a cool thing. The tunnel walk is a cool thing. With the balloons, you're wasting for no reason. There's no way it's a live thrill. It's balloons. Just a critique from a Hawkeye fan. We may once again need all the helium we can gather. For science.[/QUOTE
And that thing you guys do with the balloons after the first score is the most unnecessary tradition in college football. Have you ever seen it on TV? It looks like a limp wrist. The "black shirts" is a cool thing. The tunnel walk is a cool thing. With the balloons, you're wasting for no reason. There's no way it's a live thrill. It's balloons. Just a critique from a Hawkeye fan. We may once again need all the helium we can gather. For science.
Hawkeyes after a two game winning streak against anyone always begin to lecture what other teams need to correct. Pitiful. They like to pretend that Iowa is a shaker and mover in college football. The Big 12 is still looking for teams, has Iowa been offered?

Reactions: SOHusker11
Actually, this is not true. The two lightest elements, hydrogen and helium, were created in the Big Bang itself. The heavier elements, like carbon, came later and were formed in stars and then spread as a result of stars exploding. Most helium on earth comes now from the radioactive decay of uranium and thorium. We are in no danger of running out of helium, and the release of 2000 balloons or so by Nebraska fans six or seven times a year is no big deal.
And this:In 1903, large reserves of helium were found in natural gas fields in parts of the United States, which is by far the largest supplier of the gas (helium) today.

Piss off, hawkeye.

We could do away withy the helium, we could just use Hawkeye Hot Air from Iowa fans.
No, Hawkeye hot air can only raise balloons about treetop level then they settle into a flat yellow spot on the ground. Like the "legendary 12-0 season" a couple years ago that ended at 12-2.

Anyway, our secret space program is mining helium on the moon and on Mars, so there will always be plenty. Hey, I read it on the internet!

Plus I have read that tons of helium is released just
prior to an eruption of a volcano.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT