ADVERTISEMENT

Hearing Rumors that another candidate may be in the mix.

Tuco Salamanca

Athletic Director
Aug 18, 2016
Albuquerque
Word on the street is that Mike Anderson to Nebraska rumors are starting to gain traction.

I have read this elsewhere, in addition to hearing it from a buddy who is close to the Arkansas program.

Take it or leave it, just passing on what I heard.

Word on the street is that Mike Anderson to Nebraska rumors are starting to gain traction.

I have read this elsewhere, in addition to hearing it from a buddy who is close to the Arkansas program.

Take it or leave it, just passing on what I heard.

Timing of it makes me think it would be because of other people say "no" with that said his record, from what I remember, is not that bad.

Seems like an Ernie Kent type of hire. He has had some success in the past, but he's getting up there in age. I would have rather kept Tim Miles.

Reactions: Shermski77
If Hoiberg has said no then this job, with fan expectations + the historic futility of the basketball program makes it a very unappealing. Anyone they hire is going to be viewed as a massive disappointment because of all the reports that Hoiberg was a lock. I hope this is just a bunch of posturing to get no name coaches some publicity and Hoiberg is the guy, otherwise it would be similar to a situation where anyone but Frost was named football coach.

Reactions: frostonthegrass
If Hoiberg has said no then this job, with fan expectations + the historic futility of the basketball program makes it a very unappealing. Anyone they hire is going to be viewed as a massive disappointment because of all the reports that Hoiberg was a lock. I hope this is just a bunch of posturing to get no name coaches some publicity and Hoiberg is the guy, otherwise it would be similar to a situation where anyone but Frost was named football coach.
Hopefully it's just posturing to keep Hoiberg's agent honest.

Reactions: tpmcg and jlb321
If Hoiberg really said no then I would expect some type of communication from Moos putting the Hoiberg rumors to rest in order to let the fan base vent prior to rather than at the time of naming the new coach

No amount of posturing is going to lessen the leverage Hoibergs agent has .... certainly not Mike Anderson or whoever the hell bradleys coach happens to be

Reactions: LBremser
Again, as I said about the Bradley coach rumor-why would somebody credit one source over multiple other sources that indicate differently. Unless we see people who have already reported Hoiberg to NU backtrack on that, I don't think any other reports should be taken seriously.

Reactions: timnsun
If Hoiberg really said no then I would expect some type of communication from Moos putting the Hoiberg rumors to rest in order to let the fan base vent prior to rather than at the time of naming the new coach

No amount of posturing is going to lessen the leverage Hoibergs agent has .... certainly not Mike Anderson or whoever the hell bradleys coach happens to be
Steve Pederson says hello. Is there a plane waiting on the runway in Arkansas? I wonder which high profile pro assistant has turned us down. Hmmm.. Are there any former NBA finals coaches currently unemployed?Eek This could get interesting.

Steve Pederson says hello. Is there a plane waiting on the runway in Arkansas? I wonder which high profile pro assistant has turned us down. Hmmm.. Are there any former NBA finals coaches currently unemployed?Eek This could get interesting.

Yes. As I’ve said this hire will define Moos. A monkey with a checkbook could have signed Frost.

Next time we hear from moos will be the hiring. He won’t squash rumors

Reactions: huskerfan66
Well that isn't entirely true. Eichorst was clearly a monkey with a checkbook and there is no way Frost would have signed with him still as our AD.

Maybe not eichorst but as long it was a recently hired monkey to give the potential impression that all the right leadership was in place and aligned, any monkey would do. That was the spiel about all the right leaders in place and then less than 2 years later Bounds is peace out

The basketball hire will define Moos. The frost hire was easy .... any new AD hire at Nebraska who came in with RILEY tanking and Frost the biggest name out there would have gotten this done

Last edited:
Why was he canned from Arkansas?

Different level of expectations.

Arkansas Razorbacks (Southeastern Conference) (2011–present)
2011–12 Arkansas 18–14 6–10 9th
2012–13 Arkansas 19–13 10–8 7th
2013–14 Arkansas 22–12 10–8 5th NIT Second Round
2014–15 Arkansas 27–9 13–5 2nd NCAA Division I Round of 32
2015–16 Arkansas 16–16 9–9 T–8th
2016–17 Arkansas 26–10 12–6 T–3rd NCAA Division I Round of 32
2017–18 Arkansas 23–12 10–8 T–4th NCAA Division I Round of 64
2018–19 Arkansas 18–16 8–10 T–9th NIT Second Round
Arkansas: 169–102 (.624) 78–64 (.549)

Yes, remember when Tressel was a done deal everyone got their hopes up and then Mike Riley was named out of no where. We all googled his name and were like, this sucks. They ended up convincing ourselves it was a good hire. That disappointment is too fresh another one of those type of situations would not sit well with most. If Hoiberg is really out of the running, I hope Moos would make some sort of statement on it to adjust people expectations.

No way. If we don't get Hoiberg surely we'll get Oats or Otzelberger!

Winking

Different level of expectations.

Arkansas Razorbacks (Southeastern Conference) (2011–present)
2011–12 Arkansas 18–14 6–10 9th
2012–13 Arkansas 19–13 10–8 7th
2013–14 Arkansas 22–12 10–8 5th NIT Second Round
2014–15 Arkansas 27–9 13–5 2nd NCAA Division I Round of 32
2015–16 Arkansas 16–16 9–9 T–8th
2016–17 Arkansas 26–10 12–6 T–3rd NCAA Division I Round of 32
2017–18 Arkansas 23–12 10–8 T–4th NCAA Division I Round of 64
2018–19 Arkansas 18–16 8–10 T–9th NIT Second Round
Arkansas: 169–102 (.624) 78–64 (.549)
Moos said that his expectations are that Nebraska should make it to the NCAA tournament 3 of 5 years, Anderson did not meet that standard even if you spot him the first two years. Moos may be trying to line up backup options, but it would seem inconsistent to hire a coach who hasn't met the standard that he set out just a few days ago.

Moos said that his expectations are that Nebraska should make it to the NCAA tournament 3 of 5 years, Anderson did not meet that standard even if you spot him the first two years. Moos may be trying to line up backup options, but it would seem inconsistent to hire a coach who hasn't met the standard that he set out just a few days ago.

Well he was 3 for 4 at UAB and 3 for 5 at Missouri, taking over programs that had losing records and/ or NCAA investigatory issues.

Again, I am just passing on info, but let's not pretend that Anderson's record would not be a HUGE upgrade over anything the Nebraska program has seen in it's history.

Reactions: Lee P
I'm sure you all can read the room as well as me, but at this point there will be a lot of sour fans if ANYONE besides Hoiberg is hired. I'd prefer Fred, but I'd take Anderson among quite a few others. We're not exactly in a position to look down our noses at a guy with a record like his.

Reactions: Lee P and WHCSC
Had Anderson been a name out there 3 weeks ago...people would have had a boner for Anderson.

Because that one guy had an amazing run for a few years.."40 minutes of hell" I think it was?...and Arky fans never forgot. Reminds me (sorta) of another fan base.

Well, Nolan had a really nice run at Ark...for over a decade. And was dang close to back to back titles.

But yes their fan base is a mess, i agree with you there.

The Big Ten usually a much better conference top-to-bottom than the SEC in hoops. The SEC is usually just Kentucky and a bunch of average to bad teams. Tennessee and LSU are good this year, but that's usually not the norm. It's a stretch to think his results at Arkansas would translate here directly.

Reactions: Husker Todd
Well he was 3 for 4 at UAB and 3 for 5 at Missouri, taking over programs that had losing records and/ or NCAA investigatory issues.

Again, I am just passing on info, but let's not pretend that Anderson's record would not be a HUGE upgrade over anything the Nebraska program has seen in it's history.

Anderson’s system relies upon being more athletic than the other team, I don’t think his style is suited to the Big Ten at all.

Mike Anderson is gonna be our baseball coach again?!? /sarcasm

Honestly, I have never followed NU hoops closely, other than 2014. I don't really know who Hoiberg is, but I understand he is a homerun hire.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT