ADVERTISEMENT

Head scratchers

In the last ten years Iowa has won one division title. One. Yet, you come over here on your high horse? You aren’t Wisconsin.

On top of that, Iowa has never won an outright Big Ten title(hell, the shares they weren’t even the best team) since I’ve been alive. And I’m 34. I will likely be on my death bed before Iowa wins a Big Ten title.
Google Nebraska’s and Iowa’s record since 2010. By those numbers alone, it proves Iowa is a MUCH better program than Nebraska. AINEC.

Adrian had a TON of time on a lot of pass calls today and found nobody. I don't understand what that's about, every other team I watch if their QB gets to stand still for 4 seconds that's bad news for the defense.

I really think he just can't read a progression, especially against zone. He played better yesterday but still not like you hope to see. He seems to have no idea what he's looking at when he drops back. He seems like you could give him an hour back there and he wouldn't know where the ball should go.

Which is a shame because he's clearly got some arm talent when he lets it go. He ran a thousand times better yesterday, why he can't always run like that I don't know.
Remember that we brought in a new OC with new pass game concepts. Maybe they’re still learning?

I agree. Often times a team can look worse than it is because only a few key pieces are missing. In my opinion we will not return to winning football until we develop a solid offensive line and find a QB who can see the whole field. Our defense has issues but quite frankly they have played well enough this year for us to win games. If our offense had a pulse we would be 3-2 right now.

I have watched College Football for nearly 50 years.
  • Line of scrimmage is the key - Nick Saban, 1999 at MSU
  • Wisconsin wins without outstanding QB play often over past 10 years
  • Tackling and turnovers are very important - look at Northwestern, Pat Fitzgerald and success in 20/20
  • Special teams - Kirk Ferentz, since 2000
  • Explosive plays - winning with them, also keeping them in check - anonymous
Playing football in 20/20 has been a cluster for many programs. Getting back to a 12 game schedule, spring and developmental football will be key for most programs.

Of course, Alabama, Notre Dame, Clemson, the SEC and ACC appear to have some built in advantages due to location, location, location.

Congratulations to Iowa State. After two major pandemics, they may win their first legitimate conference title, since sharing with Nebraska titles in 1911 and 1912.

I have watched College Football for nearly 50 years.
  • Line of scrimmage is the key - Nick Saban, 1999 at MSU
  • Wisconsin wins without outstanding QB play often over past 10 years
  • Tackling and turnovers are very important - look at Northwestern, Pat Fitzgerald and success in 20/20
  • Special teams - Kirk Ferentz, since 2000
  • Explosive plays - winning with them, also keeping them in check - anonymous
Playing football in 20/20 has been a cluster for many programs. Getting back to a 12 game schedule, spring and developmental football will be key for most programs.

Of course, Alabama, Notre Dame, Clemson, the SEC and ACC appear to have some built in advantages due to location, location, location.

Congratulations to Iowa State. After two major pandemics, they may win their first legitimate conference title, since sharing with Nebraska titles in 1911 and 1912.

What does this post have to do with the original post at hand..🙄

Not a damn thing..🥴

Google Nebraska’s and Iowa’s record since 2010. By those numbers alone, it proves Iowa is a MUCH better program than Nebraska. AINEC.

You seemed to be confused. I will not tout Nebraskas’s recent record at all. We suck.

What does that have to do with Ferentz winning one division title every decade?

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
What does this post have to do with the original post at hand..🙄

Not a damn thing..🥴

The importance of the offensive line, defensive line over QB play.

QB play is important winning national titles, but to get to winning football, it isn't has important, as the line of scrimmage.

As PJ Fleck pointed out in 2019:
  • Tackling
  • Turnovers
  • Explosive plays
Of course, you better control the line of scrimmage, or it is likely going to be a long, long day, as Michigan State Nick Saban pointed out in 1999.

Reactions: WHCSC
Adrian had a TON of time on a lot of pass calls today and found nobody. I don't understand what that's about, every other team I watch if their QB gets to stand still for 4 seconds that's bad news for the defense.

I really think he just can't read a progression, especially against zone. He played better yesterday but still not like you hope to see. He seems to have no idea what he's looking at when he drops back. He seems like you could give him an hour back there and he wouldn't know where the ball should go.

Which is a shame because he's clearly got some arm talent when he lets it go. He ran a thousand times better yesterday, why he can't always run like that I don't know.
Agreed. There were a handful of times where he stood there looking around like a kid trying to pick out ice cream at Baskin-Robbins. Make a freaking decision. That is asking too much of your line. And one other thing . In the heat of battle, you know which one of your guys is struggling to contain. Coaches need to help that guy out

I really do think our talent level is increasing, but they still aren’t putting all the pieces together properly yet.

I have to be honest, I became a lot more concerned about this season after I saw the choice of captains. There’s a vision being pushed there, just not the right one.
Pat McAfee talked about captain votes on his podcast. He said they are never legit. The ownership or in college the coaching staff ballot stuff to get the guys they want to represent the team.

Pat McAfee talked about captain votes on his podcast. He said they are never legit. The ownership or in college the coaching staff ballot stuff to get the guys they want to represent the team.
How would he know? He wouldn’t.

Reactions: HuskerDana
Has Iowa even won the Big 10? And how long have you been a part of this f***d up conference?

Hey now... Iowa is holding their own. They aren’t raping young children in locker room showers, but their racism is something to behold. Well done Herkies.. way to make the B1G proud.

I think we should go with the John Blake Formula for success. Here are the steps:

1. Hire Ed Orgeron after he's fired so he can land some great recruits.
2. Give him three years of great recruiting and then can him for a great coach.

I don't mind losing if we are brining in talent. John Blake Formula. Hire the best recruiters in the biz. Ignore our record.
There is nothing wrong the JB strategy. We are just going to need to find our bagmen and people to fill those bags.

I wonder if some of the same people who bitch and complain about Nebraska football are the same ones who get mad when someone kneels for the anthem. Love it or leave it, right?

Reactions: headcard
I wonder if some of the same people who bitch and complain about Nebraska football are the same ones who get mad when someone kneels for the anthem. Love it or leave it, right?
Damn tootin' Vlad. Anyone who kneels for the anthem is a disgrace.

Reactions: JoelBittner
Scott, at the press conference yesterday, reported that the coaches did a good job. So there is that. Of course he might have been referencing Iowa’s coaches.
Well, I will just say this: The opening offensive series of the second half was the second best scoring drive all year. You know, the one with no fumbles, penalties or bad snaps by the players.

Reactions: HuskerDana
Hard to say. He's trying to flip a culture and some players are more on board with that than others I feel. I don't think he has the kind of internal player leadership he needs to shape the standards and expectations for the whole. He's not the right kind of disciplinarian himself. He's on record as being against yelling, so there is no fear or consequence of repeatedly screwing up (Jurgeons). I believe he doesn't either want or have coaches who coach their units hard. I really wanna see coaches cussing out players from time to time and players slamming helmets around. Get pissed. Show some emotion. A weak minded team loses, a lot.
so is Frost actually the nice guy because he doesn’t yell at players? We fired Riley because he was nice and fired Bo because he yelled. Now we want a coach who yells and shows emotion? Ummmm

so is Frost actually the nice guy because he doesn’t yell at players? We fired Riley because he was nice and fired Bo because he yelled. Now we want a coach who yells and shows emotion? Ummmm
It's not whether a coach yells...or not....

...it's the when he yells, and at who, that matters.

Reactions: The Bearded One
Good coaches are psychologists. They know how to gain the respect of their team and how to push the right buttons at the right time. If the coach himself is not a hard ass, he definitely has someone on the staff who is.

As we all now begin the debate once again about the competence of our coaching staff I thought of the following head scratchers

1. Why in the hell is Jurgens still playing center? Move him to guard or tight end for crying out loud. The kid is not a center. And if you want to blame his injury that is fine, but why are we playing a center who is so damned injured that he can't ... well... center the ball??? Is there nobody else on the entire team who could be taught to play center? I mean seriously, this is ridiculous stuff from our staff.

2. Why is Matt Farniok still playing? The kid is a huge liability on the line. He just cannot block anything. If, as Frost says, this is a year to get the young guys some experience then why not play one of the younger guards in place of Farniok? They certainly could not do any worse. This is ridiculous stuff from our staff.

3. Why can we not find a decent punter and place kicker? Did we not recruit some talent here? Where is the kid from Australia? This is beyond ridiculous stuff from our staff.

4. Why is Kade Warner still a starter? That speaks volumes about how this staff does not know how to get its talent ready to play. The fact that this talentless guy is a starter is beyond stupid.

5. Why can we not get our quarterbacks to see the field vertically and to see wide open receivers down field? More stupid coaching from our staff. Both of our quarterbacks look only for the short routes and if they are not open they take off running.

6. Why do so many of our recruits leave after a small time here? This is a real head scratcher. My hunch is that our coaches in the recruiting sales pitch tell the kids that they are part of a program that is on the verge of great things. Then they get here and the losses pile up. And these kids are not stupid. They can see the dumb, head scratching coaching decisions that we see and conclude that they have been suckered by a bunch of arrogant con artists.

These are just a few. There are more. It is beyond frustrating because Frost is not going anywhere. We are stuck with him. But from where I stand there is very little evidence that Frost has learned any lessons. So I have to conclude that we are in for a few more years of this same nonsense.
You forgot one, "Why do bad things happen to good people"?

• Haha
Reactions: Pennsyhusker
As we all now begin the debate once again about the competence of our coaching staff I thought of the following head scratchers

1. Why in the hell is Jurgens still playing center? Move him to guard or tight end for crying out loud. The kid is not a center. And if you want to blame his injury that is fine, but why are we playing a center who is so damned injured that he can't ... well... center the ball??? Is there nobody else on the entire team who could be taught to play center? I mean seriously, this is ridiculous stuff from our staff.

2. Why is Matt Farniok still playing? The kid is a huge liability on the line. He just cannot block anything. If, as Frost says, this is a year to get the young guys some experience then why not play one of the younger guards in place of Farniok? They certainly could not do any worse. This is ridiculous stuff from our staff.

3. Why can we not find a decent punter and place kicker? Did we not recruit some talent here? Where is the kid from Australia? This is beyond ridiculous stuff from our staff.

4. Why is Kade Warner still a starter? That speaks volumes about how this staff does not know how to get its talent ready to play. The fact that this talentless guy is a starter is beyond stupid.

5. Why can we not get our quarterbacks to see the field vertically and to see wide open receivers down field? More stupid coaching from our staff. Both of our quarterbacks look only for the short routes and if they are not open they take off running.

6. Why do so many of our recruits leave after a small time here? This is a real head scratcher. My hunch is that our coaches in the recruiting sales pitch tell the kids that they are part of a program that is on the verge of great things. Then they get here and the losses pile up. And these kids are not stupid. They can see the dumb, head scratching coaching decisions that we see and conclude that they have been suckered by a bunch of arrogant con artists.

These are just a few. There are more. It is beyond frustrating because Frost is not going anywhere. We are stuck with him. But from where I stand there is very little evidence that Frost has learned any lessons. So I have to conclude that we are in for a few more years of this same nonsense.
Great Post. So many good points that all Husker Fans are thinking. So many bad coaching decisions. Scott Frost makes Mike Riley look like a great coach!

1. Because he's probably the best we have.

2. Same answer as #1.

3. Australian kid got injured.

4. He starts because he knows the playbook. Yes I agree, the staff has done a very poor job of getting guys ready to play. Little to no accountability from this staff from top to bottom.

5. It honestly doesn't look like we even practice downfield throws, or at least in any realistic manner in which our qb's are comfortable doing it in a game. Instead of teaching the qb's to read a defense properly and go through their progressions, we instead baby them and only give them one option. If that option is covered, they panic and have no idea what to do.

6. Good talent often doesn't want to be part of a loser program and that's why some of the best talent is leaving.

I LOVE Nebraska football and have all my life. That is the reason I am bitching and complaining right now. Something is not right and needs to be fixed. Nebraska football is horrible. I don't see an apples to apples here about how I feel about my country. The United States is not horrible. As a matter of fact, it is very hard to keep illegal people out, they want to come here. USA has warts sure, but is not horrible. So in that regard I don't hate the people that hate their country and kneel, I just shake my head wondering what their problem is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT