ADVERTISEMENT

Head Coach Sleeper

leodisflowers

Assistant Head Coach
Feb 25, 2011
North Carolina
I know this would never happen, but maybe the real head coach we should be talking about is Bill Busch.

1. Dude seems organized as hell
2. Is recruiter and has been at places that has elite recruiting. Knows what it would take to get folks in here and would bring the people
3. Seems to excel at all positions. He's made our special teams respectable, makes our D look light years ahead of where they've been and also seems to know offense as well with the whole RPO article
4. Seems like a great face of a program
5. Loves the University and knows what it takes to win here.

I know this is a bit far fetched, but man he seems to check more boxes than Mickey. If Mickey were hired keeping Busch is a must. I'm starting to think with some players, he could be an elite D-Coordinator and we really should keep him as that. The turnaround in that group is nuts.

I know some fans are enamored with the possibility of hiring BOB. I am not a fan. Just read a SI article where Saban and BOB are not on the same page. Saban wants a more balanced attack. Trev probably can get BOB cheap because the writer does not believe he will be back on Saban’s staff next year.

Reactions: OAHU-SKER
I know this would never happen, but maybe the real head coach we should be talking about is Bill Busch.

2. Is recruiter and has been at places that has elite recruiting. Knows what it would take to get folks in here and would bring the people
3. Seems to excel at all positions. He's made our special teams respectable, makes our D look light years ahead of where they've been and also seems to know offense as well with the whole RPO article

I know this is a bit far fetched, but man he seems to check more boxes than Mickey. If Mickey were hired keeping Busch is a must. I'm starting to think with some players, he could be an elite D-Coordinator and we really should keep him as that. The turnaround in that group is nuts.
So Bill Busch is just as qualified as Mickey. But you don't want Mickey?

• Haha
Reactions: JOHNNY N
I know some fans are enamored with the possibility of hiring BOB. I am not a fan. Just read a SI article where Saban and BOB are not on the same page. Saban wants a more balanced attack. Trev probably can get BOB cheap because the writer does not believe he will be back on Saban’s staff next year.
I'm talking Bill Busch not Bill O'Brien.

Reactions: LegendaryFrechFry
Nah. He worked under Callahan! Worse yet he worked under Fraudst

unfortunately the political climate would not allow this to happen. If anyone on this current staff is to get the head job its Mickey. Did busch leave LSU on his own accord 2 years ago or was het let go there?

So Bill Busch is just as qualified as Mickey. But you don't want Mickey?
I'm fine with Mickey. I would rather have Mickey than Monken and some of the other tier people listed. I'm on record of saying I'm for finding a big fish. Urban, Whittingham, Bob Stoops, etc. A proven winner at the highest levels. If we are going to be risky, I'd go with Mickey, but just as message board conversation and talking with my dad the other night, we were talking about how Busch just seems to be a stud everywhere he goes and is just an all around great dude that kids seem to buy into. I think you could give him the most misfit squad and he would turn it around. I think the dude is more elite than we know and is kind of a hidden gem.

I like Busch and hope somehow he is able to stay on as part of the new staff whoever the new head coach is. Problem of course is that he wasn't given a tryout for head coach so that pretty much rules out that as a choice. IMO we can't afford to take another chance on any one who doesn't have an established, good track record as a P5 head coach. Need a HIGH probability choice this time.

Bill has actually been a coordinator previous to what he’s done this year. He has worked on some great staffs.
personally I would rather have him stay as either DC or STC. Then if you retain Mickey hire the best OC money can buy. Million+ for your OC. JMO
The best OC money can buy is going to take $2-3 million.

While this could be true...I think we are also seeing Saban starting to freak out. They are 2 plays away from being what, 4-4?

I think you are starting to see a bit of the "blame game" as we see the power shifting in the SEC.

W
I'm fine with Mickey. I would rather have Mickey than Monken and some of the other tier people listed. I'm on record of saying I'm for finding a big fish. Urban, Whittingham, Bob Stoops, etc. A proven winner at the highest levels. If we are going to be risky, I'd go with Mickey, but just as message board conversation and talking with my dad the other night, we were talking about how Busch just seems to be a stud everywhere he goes and is just an all around great dude that kids seem to buy into. I think you could give him the most misfit squad and he would turn it around. I think the dude is more elite than we know and is kind of a hidden gem.
The best OC money can buy is going to take $2-3 million.
Ok. Do it. Give Mickey 3-4 and the OC 2-3 and it better not be Brady

B
While this could be true...I think we are also seeing Saban starting to freak out. They are 2 plays away from being what, 4-4?

I think you are starting to see a bit of the "blame game" as we see the power shifting in the SEC.
Bamas problem is their defense. Smart has been getting many of their top recruiting targets and the early exits for the NFL has caught up with them. Add in a legit top RPO QB on the opposition and you get what Bama is getting.

B

Bamas problem is their defense. Smart has been getting many of their top recruiting targets and the early exits for the NFL has caught up with them. Add in a legit top RPO QB on the opposition and you get what Bama is getting.
Yep...and Saban is a "defensive guy" and all of a sudden...they can't stop anyone. So now it is time to blame the offense.

Bill has actually been a coordinator previous to what he’s done this year. He has worked on some great staffs.
personally I would rather have him stay as either DC or STC. Then if you retain Mickey hire the best OC money can buy. Million+ for your OC. JMO
I see Jeff Scott, HC of South Florida and former OC/Co-OC for those powerful Clemson teams in the 2015 -2020 seasons that won national titles was fired in his 3rd season after going 4-26.

There are so few guarantees that success at one place will transfer to success at another.

He's the latest example of a highly successful OC that was not able to make the transition to HC. Of course, talent on hand trumps everything.

Not that I'm touting Scott as a potential OC at NU, but it does seem that Clemson had a well-balanced attack even with Deshaun Watson, Etienne, and then Trevor Lawrence.

B

I think Bama's biggest issue this year is they don't have a Heisman type WR that can take any catch the distance at anytime. The kid from GT is close, but he is coming out of the backfield. Their WR corps the last 5 years has been insane.

B

The major difference between Bama and Ga defense, I think, is that Georgia has those lockdown corners who just take teams out of their game. Plus, they are dynamite tacklers.

Saturday Henson was forced to hold the ball longer than normal because there just wasn't anyone open.

Bama has really struggled with stopping the pass for a couple years now.

I see Jeff Scott, HC of South Florida and former OC/Co-OC for those powerful Clemson teams in the 2015 -2020 seasons that won national titles was fired in his 3rd season after going 4-26.

There are so few guarantees that success at one place will transfer to success at another.

He's the latest example of a highly successful OC that was not able to make the transition to HC. Of course, talent on hand trumps everything.

Not that I'm touting Scott as a potential OC at NU, but it does seem that Clemson had a well-balanced attack even with Deshaun Watson, Etienne, and then Trevor Lawrence.
QB, QB, QB …. Starts and ends there with a whole bunch of linemen in between. You can win with a whole bunch of pretty pedestrian guys IF you have a great QB and good lines.

I think Bama's biggest issue this year is they don't have a Heisman type WR that can take any catch the distance at anytime. The kid from GT is close, but he is coming out of the backfield. Their WR corps the last 5 years has been insane.
Agree 100%. They’ve had what 5 first round WRs in the last 3 years, plus Metchie in the 2nd? We saw a massive drop in WR talent during last year’s championship when Metchie and Williamson out.

But I also agree this isn’t really on BOB. The defense just isn’t the machine people thought it was. Scored 49 & 31 in their two losses. The put up points

I would definitely keep him on as defensive coordinator. He's a very good recruiter and works really hard. His units always the seem to play well.

Per the article Alabama does not have the WRs they've had in the past.
That is there main weakness this year. They don’t have a Julio Jones, Amari Cooper, Calvin Ridley, Jerry Jeudy, Devonta Smith or Jameson Williams type guy on the outside. Not to mention guys like Ruggs and Waddle.

Reactions: oldjar07
can bob teach blocking and tacklelng?

I don't think I want a cordinator saben doesn't like as our hc

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
Ken Dorsey is someone nobody's talking about but should be
actually agree, but the problem is his offense is basically centered around Josh Allen being superman. as of last week, he was responsible for 95% of their touchdowns.

always have to be wary of guys that have future HOF'ers at QB.

That is there main weakness this year. They don’t have a Julio Jones, Amari Cooper, Calvin Ridley, Jerry Jeudy, Devonta Smith or Jameson Williams type guy on the outside. Not to mention guys like Ruggs and Waddle.
Exactly it was easily noticeable after their first couple games. Their speedy guy this year is probably the most overrated and don't think he even starts.

actually agree, but the problem is his offense is basically centered around Josh Allen being superman. as of last week, he was responsible for 95% of their touchdowns.

always have to be wary of guys that have future HOF'ers at QB.
Jets defense gave his cape a pretty good tug this week. Still a beast, but Cam Newton was pretty intimidating at one point too.

One thing about Busch, he seems to be having a blast as DC.

It's unknown and unproven but could be interesting to see what he could do with some decent talent to work with.

I don't want him at all, let alone as HC. We need to clean house from one of the worst eras in this program's history, everyone except for Mickey as receivers coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT