ADVERTISEMENT

HCSF

Hate is the wrong word. Disappointment is a better word. Firing Frost is not even on my radar. He needs more time, without a doubt. If this doesn't work with Frost, I'm afraid it won't work with anyone.

But he needs to get better at his job. His assistants need to get better at their jobs. The bumbling around for half of the season (or more) has to stop.

They return basically the entire offense that started most of the season. Only 2 Seniors were active on the 2 deep yesterday - and they are certainly replaceable (Mazour and M. Williams). They simply can't regress back to square one next year. They need to take an exponential leap forward - right out of the gate, against Purdue.

I am more concerned about the defense. They actually got a little better as the year went along and played 'decent' football the past few weeks. But they lose 6 starters, including the entire defensive front. Again, they can't spend the first 6-8 games trying to figure out who can play. Assuming Chin isn't fired (and I'm sure he won't be), they have continuity on their side and need to begin the season 'decent' and work their way up to 'good'.

Special teams couldn't have been more embarrassing this year. We have got to figure out how to kick the damn ball in the end-zone. We have to realize that returning kicks from the end-zone is a fool's errand. NU's special teams cost NU at least one game this year - probably more.

Reactions: headcard
Frost and Moos both said we would be a really good team by Year 2, and definitely by Year 3. Nobody said this would be a 5-Year rebuild.
They have to say something, would you rather have them say we have shit for talent and it will take 10 years? Do I agree with what they said I don’t know. I’d rather have a little arrogant coach than a hot head like bo or mr monotone Riley. He’s learning. How many of you wanted him when Eichorst fired bo?

I still support Frost and want to see him succeed but his decision to give up and try to play for OT really upset me. It was only made worse when super conservative KF went for the win and got it.

I thought he would bring back a killer attitude but it seems like he is coddling these guys and worried about there self confidence instead. Only reason he probably is worried about benching AM thinking he is not mentally strong enough to recover from it.

Maybe in the next few years when he has his own players this will change but nothing about his offense play calling made sense this year.
Or his arrogance prevents him from admitting he may have made a coaching boo-boo?

Honestly, I think he managed his QB roster ok this year, however with McCaffery barely a freshman now- 12 games in and all- I think yesterday was the exception. It was the last game he could play and preserve a redshirt- a game needed to get the AD publicly state expectation for the team. AM had little answer for Iowa, McCaffery in glimpses provided duress

If Tommy Armstrong is this year's QB, then Frost's Huskers have eight wins.

Fiind that Urban Meyer/Dr Osborne type quarterback, and this happens. In the meantime, I would default to freshman Luke McCaffrey. We have been saying this at church all fall long.

Why all the hate on Frost? Did he make plenty of mistakes this year? Absolutely. He’s still a very young coach and we’re still going to have growing pains. This was only his 4th year as a head coach. Everyone he is being compared to has previous experience. When Frost got hired everyone said it would be a process and now no one wants to wait. Relax. This is not a 2 year fix like UCF. We don’t get to play ECU and UCONN all year.

His style of offense will not win championships in this conference. End of story. No need to reply.

He can start out by running a defense that 98% of high schools run... lol

It only takes 1 year to show you are a good coach.

I fear the worse for this program.

Is PJ Fleck a good coach?

It took him to year 3 to show he was a good coach.

Or his arrogance prevents him from admitting he may have made a coaching boo-boo?

Honestly, I think he managed his QB roster ok this year, however with McCaffery barely a freshman now- 12 games in and all- I think yesterday was the exception. It was the last game he could play and preserve a redshirt- a game needed to get the AD publicly state expectation for the team. AM had little answer for Iowa, McCaffery in glimpses provided duress
Admitting to who? The fans? He doesn't need to admit anything to us.

Is PJ Fleck a good coach?

It took him to year 3 to show he was a good coach.

Minnesota looked pretty good at the end of Year 2 after Fleck fired his defensive coordinator. They blew out Wisconsin, Purdue, and Georgia Tech. There was clear progress from Year 1 to 2.

The only progress I've seen here in 2 years has been at the DB position. No progress at other positions, and even regression at QB and WR.

Minnesota looked pretty good at the end of Year 2 after Fleck fired his defensive coordinator. They blew out Wisconsin, Purdue, and Georgia Tech. There was clear progress from Year 1 to 2.

The only progress I've seen here in 2 years has been at the DB position. No progress at other positions, and even regression at QB and WR.
You see what you want to see.

Minny went from 5 wins to 6 wins taking out the bowl win last year. One game improvement.

IBut the maturity stage is winning all of these close wins so we go from 5 wins to 9 wins type of ordeal.
This is known as an I-really-wanted-to-seem-intelligent-but-shit-the-bed type of "ordeal."

Last edited:
You see what you want to see.

Minny went from 5 wins to 6 wins taking out the bowl win last year. One game improvement.

Fleck's schtick may wear out quickly in Minneapolis eventually, but when he came to Minnesota he had taken Western Michigan, which had been terrible, to the Cotton Bowl. He didn't do it by just out-recruiting everyone in the MAC, but by building a program. He's done the same at Minnesota. Right or wrong, his players have bought into what he's selling up there.

Why are you moving the goal posts? I though wins were the only thing that matter?

5 > 4 = improvement.

fair enough if you are simply going to go with 5>4 = improvement

then go with

Riley (one of the worst hires in Neb history) worst two seasons = 10 wins
Frost 2 seasons = 9 wins

10>9 = Riley>Frost

Last edited:
Fleck's schtick may wear out quickly in Minneapolis eventually, but when he came to Minnesota he had taken Western Michigan, which had been terrible, to the Cotton Bowl. He didn't do it by just out-recruiting everyone in the MAC, but by building a program. He's done the same at Minnesota. Right or wrong, his players have bought into what he's selling up there.
Totally agree. Just took 3 years to do it.

Reactions: headcard
They struggled pretty bad for two and a half seasons, before feasting on a weak schedule and gaining belief and confidence.

What is a little scary for me is that it seems like Frost might not be a very good evaluator of talent. In the off-season you heard a lot of talk from him about the talent on the roster. Either the talent isn’t there or the development isn’t there. In either instance it is not good. If you can’t see the deficiencies on your own team it is hard to game plan against your opponents.

This year I thought there were some guys on the defensive line that could do some things, but seemed to be handcuffed by the scheme and the calls. LB was a whole different issue, plain and simple the ILBs had a bad year. Time after time it was bad reads and missed tackles. OLBs need some big time help and coaching.

Be it good or bad Frost is here for probably 3 more year regardless of what happens.

Did you make sure to tell Penn State and Ohio State that?

No need to.

Currently ...

Ohio State #3 in recruiting
Penn State # 14 in recruiting
Nebraska # 33 in recruiting

It is going to be roughly like that from here until the sun burns out.

The narrative that this won’t work with anyone else is BS. Run the ball, play defense and find a scheme that matches the talent we have. Big OL and a run game are easy to get here. And we need to get attitude back. It’s been since 2010 since we had swagger for Pete’s sake

Did you make sure to tell Penn State and Ohio State that?

Any offense will work if you recruit at a Top 10 level and are a good play-caller.

Frost's recruiting and play-calling abilities aren't even in the same zip code as Penn State and Ohio State.

The narrative that this won’t work with anyone else is BS. Run the ball, play defense and find a scheme that matches the talent we have. Big OL and a run game are easy to get here. And we need to get attitude back. It’s been since 2010 since we had swagger for Pete’s sake

I haven't seen many 6'6 315 pound D1 offensive linemen in Nebraska for quite a few years. Maybe Adam Holtorf. Out of state? Do you remember how long 5 star Tyler Moore lasted?

fair enough if you are simply going to go with 5>4 = improvement

then go with

Riley (one of the worst hires in Neb history) worst two seasons = 10 wins
Frost 2 seasons = 9 wins

10>9 = Riley>Frost

Well Frost has a career win % of 56 compared to 53 for Riley.

So there.

He beat the hell out of Wisconsin by his second year and also beat a top 10 Penn State team in year 3. We can agree that he's accomplished more than Frost right?

Frost beat the hell out of Fleck in Frost's first year and Fleck's second.

Frost beat the hell out of Fleck in Frost's first year and Fleck's second.

And what happened this year?

My point is, are we really better than the beginning of Riley's last year (before the players threw in the towl)? I don't think so. The whole narrative of blaming Riley and waiting to get our guys in is not working any more. We had enough talent to beat Colorado, Indiana, Purdue and perhaps close yesterday's game out.

Reactions: Catch50
I haven't seen many 6'6 315 pound D1 offensive linemen in Nebraska for quite a few years. Maybe Adam Holtorf. Out of state? Do you remember how long 5 star Tyler Moore lasted?

I meant in the Midwest. My bad

OK, so if we're not at the level that Minnessota is this time next year, I'm coming after ya with that comment.

If you feel you need to rub it in a random dudes face a year later to prove you are right, more power to you.

For f's sake, my point is it normally isn't as bad or as good as most of these emotionally charged posts.

Everyone needs to take a breath and just relax. Lots of hyperbole and hand wringing.

“that’s the team we inherited” is such a cowardly thing to say after that game

absolutely embarrassing from what is supposed to be a leader
I was really surprised to hear him say this too. Not at all what I would expect from him.

If you feel you need to rub it in a random dudes face a year later to prove you are right, more power to you.

For f's sake, my point is it normally isn't as bad or as good as most of these emotionally charged posts.

Everyone needs to take a breath and just relax. Lots of hyperbole and hand wringing.

I'm not going to rub it in your face or even remember this thread for all that matters. I respect your thoughts and opinions although they are different than mine. That's why we have a message board, to share thoughts.

Having said that, just because some don't think Frost will get it done doesn't mean that they aren't supporters. Some people base their belief on face value while others base it on hope and dreams. I bleed the red, I spend a lot money making a trip once a year to support our boys. That doesn't mean that I can't or shouldn't be critical for missing ANOTHER BOWL season while having played the easiest schedule we've had in the past century. Not to mention, with so many bowl games, how do you not make a bowl?? Of course I'm highly dissapointed with our staff.

Fleck actually took a year and a half to turn things around at Minnesota as they finished his second year winning 3 of their last 4. Sorry Fleck wins this one by a long way over Frost!

Reactions: CatColumbia
Why all the hate on Frost? Did he make plenty of mistakes this year? Absolutely. He’s still a very young coach and we’re still going to have growing pains. This was only his 4th year as a head coach. Everyone he is being compared to has previous experience. When Frost got hired everyone said it would be a process and now no one wants to wait. Relax. This is not a 2 year fix like UCF. We don’t get to play ECU and UCONN all year.
For me, it's not about hate at all. Frost will always be a Husker hero because he QB'd a national championship team. But this yr's schedule was set up for major improvement, and instead we were defeated by Indiana, Colorado, Purdue, etc., and blown out by Ohio St. and Minn. I personally saw the regression of a QB, and a defense that still gives up big plays at crucial times. Two yr record is now 9-15, which would have cost previous coaches their job. Add to the fact that our record this yr could have been way different if the coaching staff had made better decisions. For example: what special teams coach would be retained after this yr's catastrophes? These are only a few reasons for the unrest. Husker fans are not satisfied with being 11th in the league.

For me, it's not about hate at all. Frost will always be a Husker hero because he QB'd a national championship team. But this yr's schedule was set up for major improvement, and instead we were defeated by Indiana, Colorado, Purdue, etc., and blown out by Ohio St. and Minn. I personally saw the regression of a QB, and a defense that still gives up big plays at crucial times. Two yr record is now 9-15, which would have cost previous coaches their job. Add to the fact that our record this yr could have been way different if the coaching staff had made better decisions. For example: what special teams coach would be retained after this yr's catastrophes? These are only a few reasons for the unrest. Husker fans are not satisfied with being 11th in the league.

Could not have said it better.

I don't think that coach Frost lied or pumped unrealistic expectations. Based upon the end of last year we were coming together as a team. Therefore, it's normal to have high hopes. A large number of sports analysts thought A. Martinez was only going to get better, that Washington, Spelman and Robinson were going to light up the league. You didn't have to drink koolaid or be covered in sunshine to see that as a possible outcome. I doubt that the coaches were surprised that the offense line struggled with a new center. I would guess that they were surprised that Martinez struggled and totally unprepared for the kicker carousel. If the kicker woes didn't happen then we would have won a few more games and be going bowling. If that would have happened then the sky is falling mentality wouldn't have gripped us as it does now. If we could have only had a strong push from our offense yesterday in the 4th quarter when we recovered the fumble with 2:35 left on the clock...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT