ADVERTISEMENT

HCSF taking note...

WestCoast, your opinion is certainly worthy of consideration - and no doubt correct in many respects. I just think that in the role of moderator you have to be unbiased - or the role of moderator of discussion is compromised. It is an old fashioned concept, but I think we see all around us in social media the fruit of unbiased moderation of discussion.

WestCoast, your opinion is certainly worthy of consideration - and no doubt correct in many respects. I just think that in the role of moderator you have to be unbiased - or the role of moderator of discussion is compromised. It is an old fashioned concept, but I think we see all around us in social media the fruit of unbiased moderation of discussion.
WestCoast isn't a moderator. Think you're looking for rrt.

5ncrIar.gif

WestCoast isn't a moderator. Think you're looking for rrt.
Yes, that is who I was referring to. But then again, in my old age I am becoming a grumpy curmudgeon on these issues of style, form and role of such things as "moderating". Senior moments are apparently becoming senior reality! Sort of the "Clint Eastwood / Gran Torino" style "Get off my lawn" complex.

Reactions: countrybob
The offensive line has three 4*s on it already with more in the pipeline. The top 3 QBs are 4*s and great runners as is Wan'dale. Let's also include Betts, Manning and Fadone for next year ( two of the three high 4*s). Seems like pretty good recruiting to me.
I winced today listening AGAIN to Nick Handley on 590 whining about Nebraska "not knowing what they want to be". Frost KNOWS what he wants his team to be. We saw it in the second half of the Rutgers game. He wants to be a big play spread offense that can make explosive plays in both the run and pass game. Granted it was Rutgers, but what Frost is doing is really no different than what Ohio State does. The difference today is that they have Fields, Sermon and some sub 4.4 guys at WR Obviously they're extremely talented at every position as well. They are going to have a difficult time IMO finding a guy who can do what Fields does. Do we really want to be a plodding smash mouth team as some would suggest? Fix our QB and you'll see what Nebraska's identity is. It's that simple.

I winced today listening AGAIN to Nick Handley on 590 whining about Nebraska "not knowing what they want to be". Frost KNOWS what he wants his team to be. We saw it in the second half of the Rutgers game. He wants to be a big play spread offense that can make explosive plays in both the run and pass game. Granted it was Rutgers, but what Frost is doing is really no different than what Ohio State does. The difference today is that they have Fields, Sermon and some sub 4.4 guys at WR Obviously they're extremely talented at every position as well. They are going to have a difficult time IMO finding a guy who can do what Fields does. Do we really want to be a plodding smash mouth team as some would suggest? Fix our QB and you'll see what Nebraska's identity is. It's that simple.

I mean all yoo have to do is watch tape of Oregon and UCF with Mariota and McKenzie. Now we just to find guys like that.

a plodding smash mouth team does actually sound pretty good right about now

The offensive line has three 4*s on it already with more in the pipeline. The top 3 QBs are 4*s and great runners as is Wan'dale. Let's also include Betts, Manning and Fadone for next year ( two of the three high 4*s). Seems like pretty good recruiting to me.

Who says we don't have the recruits??! What we don't have is DEVELOPMENT like the afforementioned programs....

Well my kind sir, I'll take a plodding, vicious smash mouth team a 1000 times more than our endless fluff-ball #1 priority. From Clownahan, Smiling Mike & what we've seen so far of HCSF......NU simply MUST somehow get a real deal running game going. Without that......well, I just can't imagine any great results even with our massive amounts of horizontal passes and just throwing the ball anywhere & everywhere.

Sure, it would be terrific to being great at both! But we're a long, long ways away from that (to say the least). But if you can't run the ball......

Well my kind sir, I'll take a plodding, vicious smash mouth team a 1000 times more than our endless fluff-ball #1 priority. From Clownahan, Smiling Mike & what we've seen so far of HCSF......NU simply MUST somehow get a real deal running game going. Without that......well, I just can't imagine any great results even with our massive amounts of horizontal passes and just throwing the ball anywhere & everywhere.

Sure, it would be terrific to being great at both! But we're a long, long ways away from that (to say the least). But if you can't run the ball......
I agree we HAVE to run the ball, but as Dr. Tom recognized as well, we need explosive plays. At the end of his tenure Tom was running all kinds of mis-direction with wing backs and WRs. He ran bubble screens to the sidelines. His bounce pass off the turf to a WR was innovative. In my eyes, what Frost is trying to do in many ways is a progression from what Tom was doing when he retired. He was in the shotgun often.

I would love to see Scott at times put his QB under center and run power stuff with a fullback and 3 TEs. The traditional option though that he ran got his QBs killed virtually every time he ran it. It appears to me that the zone read option tends to be a little less traumatic on your QB. Man on those old options the QB would get blasted by a linebacker just about every time he pitched the ball. At times it was like standing him up and giving the defense a free shot at your QB.

Reactions: WHCSC
I don't think we can consistently find the players to run the scheme Scott wants to run. At least we haven't been able to get that going so far.

We can find the players consistently to run Tom's style of offense, the one that put us on the map.

It still blows my mind, 6 years later, (3 years of Riley, and 3 years of Frost) Nebraska still hasn't gone back to it's old identity, and we are watching yet another coach 'do it his way, and fail'..

And some want to give it another couple of years. :rolleyes:

I don't think we can consistently find the players to run the scheme Scott wants to run. At least we haven't been able to get that going so far.

We can find the players consistently to run Tom's style of offense, the one that put us on the map.

It still blows my mind, 6 years later, (3 years of Riley, and 3 years of Frost) Nebraska still hasn't gone back to it's old identity, and we are watching yet another coach 'do it his way, and fail'..

And some want to give it another couple of years. :rolleyes:
Dr. Tom was headed down this path when he retired. He said more than once that IF he had continued he would have probably morphed in to a similar spread offense as Urban Meyer was running. You need to stop your whining. This offense would work just fine if we can keep our QBs from giving the ball away via fumbles and interceptions. The problem isn't the offense. The problem is our QBs' execution of the offense.

Dr. Tom was headed down this path when he retired. He said more than once that IF he had continued he would have probably morphed in to a similar spread offense as Urban Meyer was running. You need to stop your whining. This offense would work just fine if we can keep our QBs from giving the ball away via fumbles and interceptions. The problem isn't the offense. The problem is our QBs' execution of the offense.
Scotts offense only works if you have a Mariota or Milton caliber of player. Vedral, AM, Luke, and even Bunch weren't able to make it work. So you have to ask yourself how often are you going to get a player like that? and then what will you be like when you don't have that kind of player? (we already know).

So maybe I should whine some more, because it's pretty obvious that only a small group of people understand that the offensive system is never going to be consistent here if it requires a 'special' player that comes along only once every 20 years at your school.

There is also probably a reason why Oregon never actually won a national championship with this system too.

Scotts offense only works if you have a Mariota or Milton caliber of player. Vedral, AM, Luke, and even Bunch weren't able to make it work. So you have to ask yourself how often are you going to get a player like that? and then what will you be like when you don't have that kind of player? (we already know).

So maybe I should whine some more, because it's pretty obvious that only a small group of people understand that the offensive system is never going to be consistent here if it requires a 'special' player that comes along only once every 20 years at your school.

There is also probably a reason why Oregon never actually won a national championship with this system too.

Eh.. I'm not quite sold on that. I agree you have to have a competent QB, but it doesn't have to be a Heisman guy. They may look like a Heisman guy in this system, but Scott works to put pressure on the D at all levels which usually leaves a guy open. Right now we don't have a QB who can make the read to find that guy. Betts was open a lot (once he was inserted) but either we couldn't find him or a QB couldn't throw it that far.

Also need someone to take the top off the D. We looked decent in year 1 because we had Stanley going deep and that freed up the run game.

I think a telling stat was what @Cornicator brought up about Maurice Washington and 2AM. I think in general, just need to get a deep threat to go with some of the other pieces and that will free up the run game.

I think the last biggest thing we need is a shift in S&C. I know Duval is Frost's guy, but we seem to be 15 years in the past on S&C. Yes, I think we are definitely stronger, but we aren't more athletic. We need guys like the dude who was at Indiana and went to Bama. That dude has it right. Go back to trying to be the fastest team in the nation. All our WR's need to do is get in the way. I'd rather have a dude who can take a slant 50 yards for a TD and just be a mediocre blocker than a guy who is the best blocker in the world, but either can't get open on a slant or catches one for 5 yards. We need to just get real fast at the skills positions in a hurry.

I agree we HAVE to run the ball, but as Dr. Tom recognized as well, we need explosive plays. At the end of his tenure Tom was running all kinds of mis-direction with wing backs and WRs. He ran bubble screens to the sidelines. His bounce pass off the turf to a WR was innovative. In my eyes, what Frost is trying to do in many ways is a progression from what Tom was doing when he retired. He was in the shotgun often.

I would love to see Scott at times put his QB under center and run power stuff with a fullback and 3 TEs. The traditional option though that he ran got his QBs killed virtually every time he ran it. It appears to me that the zone read option tends to be a little less traumatic on your QB. Man on those old options the QB would get blasted by a linebacker just about every time he pitched the ball. At times it was like standing him up and giving the defense a free shot at your QB.

Well partner, I've watched Frazier, Crouch, Gill, Frost, etc play and I don't recall them getting horribly cremated every option play. However, getting crushed from blitzing lbs for the cement shoes qbs sure looks downright vicious to me.

Heh, but to each their own compadre. For me, a nasty running game should be our #1 priority by a country mile. But of course we all have our opinions. :)

Well partner, I've watched Frazier, Crouch, Gill, Frost, etc play and I don't recall them getting horribly cremated every option play. However, getting crushed from blitzing lbs for the cement shoes qbs sure looks downright vicious to me.

Heh, but to each their own compadre. For me, a nasty running game should be our #1 priority by a country mile. But of course we all have our opinions. :)
They had outstanding lines blocking for them as well and our current line isn't quite there yet, but eventually will be. The offensive problems will be solved the older and better the OL as the O can only go as far as the OL will allow it as everything starts with the OL

I'm not disagreeing that we need an effective running game. I remember very well how Crouch and Frost couldn't hardly lift their throwing arm over their heads after playing in Tom's offense for a while. People ridiculed their passing mechanics but a lot of that was the beating they took running the option. If we can get a back going like we got Mills going against Rutgers, it makes it a whole lot easier for our QB to be successful.

Last edited:
Reactions: bshirt73
I'm not disagreeing that we need an effective running game. I remember very well how Crouch and Frost couldn't hardly lift their throwing arm over their heads after playing in Tom's offense for a while. People ridiculed their passing mechanics but a lot of that was the beating they took running the option. If we can get a back going like we got Mills going against Rutgers, it makes it a whole lot easier for our QB to be successful.

Fair enough sir! Whatever works getting good results running the ball is what I'm for.

ADVERTISEMENT