ADVERTISEMENT

HC Candidates vs Ranked Teams

JabroniBlvd

Sophomore
Nov 5, 2005
Each coach takes over a better/worse situation but here are the ranked win % for each HC

Bill O'Brien 3-3 vs ranked teams at Penn St (50%)
Aranda 4-5 vs ranked teams at Baylor (44%)
Lane Kiffin 4-5 vs ranked teams at Ole Miss (44%)
Klieman 4-6 vs ranked teams at Kansas St (40%)
Luke Fickell 6-10 vs ranked teams at Cincinnati (37%)
Campbell 10-19 vs ranked teams at Iowa St (34%)
Mark Stoops 11-22 vs ranked team at Kentucky (33%)
Fleck 3-11 vs ranked teams at Minnesota (21%)
Leipold 1-4 vs ranked teams at Kansas (20%)
Jeff Monken 0-9 vs ranked teams at Army (0%)
Rhule 0-10 vs ranked teams at Baylor (0%)

Last edited:
Each coach takes over a better/worse situation but here are the ranked win % for each HC

After reading and listening to all of the debate about the various candidates I’ve come to the conclusion that we should just leave the position vacant…..

That's for sure a much better way to look at candidates BUT I also don't see any stellar winners on that particular list. You'd want someone over 50%.

if you want to look strictly at the profile of a coach who 'gives us the best chance to succeed', O'Brien stands way out above the rest

anyone wanting a 'sure thing' who doesn't have his name at the top is confused

Mickey is 0-2 vs ranked teams as an interim. probably his last chance to get one this weekend.

How about Gary Patterson’s? Not sure how to find it, but he’s being mentioned by some reports as a candidate.

if you want to look strictly at the profile of a coach who 'gives us the best chance to succeed', O'Brien stands way out above the rest

anyone wanting a 'sure thing' who doesn't have his name at the top is confused

Mickey is 0-2 vs ranked teams as an interim. probably his last chance to get one this weekend.
I think I read only 14% of head coaches have a winning record against the Top 25 competition.

It is not easy to be over .500 vs ranked teams
At Michigan State and LSU, Saban was 10-11 v. top 10. At Bama 31-11, as of 2020.
Kirby Smart was 8-4, .667 and I doubt his percentage has dropped.

Kiffin 1-10, Stoops 0-10.

As of 2020, besides Saban, Smart, and Ortegon, only Dabo Swinney and David Shaw were over .500. I'm guessing Shaw is no longer over 50%, probably the same as Ortegon.

That's not very many out of 100+ coaches nationally.

Of course, Urban Meyer is 12-5. 71%. What's new?

After reading and listening to all of the debate about the various candidates I’ve come to the conclusion that we should just leave the position vacant…..
Good idea or maybe do like hosts on a TV show. A coach comes in for a week or two.

What was Osborne’s record against ranked teams up to 1994?

Any coach who has a winning record against the top 25 is not looking for a job or wanting to leave their school. A vicious cycle. Those who have and those who have not.

Reactions: Truewooper
Any coach who has a winning record against the top 25 is not looking for a job or wanting to leave their school. A vicious cycle. Those who have and those who have not.
Not true in all cases IMO. Some coaches keep looking for the next challenge to conquer. Why did Saban and Meyer, for example, leave cushy successful college jobs to try out the NFL (where they failed). Or why did Lincoln Riley jump from Oklahoma to USC? Or Brian Kelly from Notre Dame to LSU?

Reactions: BleedRed78

Wow, pretty eye opening comparison.

Kinda makes me not want anybody below Fickell... Yikes

Good information for sure, and it’s certainly relevant.
Before locking in years and millions, I’d want to dissect more what those games were like.
Not all games against ranked teams are equal.

I will say that I like BOB, Kiffin and Stoops having done it in the B1G or SEC.
Rhule’s 0-10 record looks rough.

Aranda Klieman Fickell and Campbell look ok.

Not showing in the ranked team wins, but there’s no question Leipold has shown an amazing build at Kansas.

Virtually any name on that list still represents an instant upgrade for us, but I’m having more doubts about Rhule and some names are not real options necessarily, or not high on my list.

Good information for sure, and it’s certainly relevant.
Before locking in years and millions, I’d want to dissect more what those games were like.
Not all games against ranked teams are equal.

I will say that I like BOB, Kiffin and Stoops having done it in the B1G or SEC.
Rhule’s 0-10 record looks rough.

Aranda Klieman Fickell and Campbell look ok.

Not showing in the ranked team wins, but there’s no question Leipold has shown an amazing build at Kansas.

Virtually any name on that list still represents an instant upgrade for us, but I’m having more doubts about Rhule and some names are not real options necessarily, or not high on my list.
Rhule went from 1 win to 7 wins to 11 wins in 3 years not to mention what he accomplished at Temple beating Penn St for the first time since 1941, the last two years he won 10 games and a conference championship in the AAC..

Rhule went from 1 win to 7 wins to 11 wins in 3 years not to mention what he accomplished at Temple beating Penn St for the first time since 1941, the last two years he won 10 games and a conference championship in the AAC..
He and BOB are the most qualified realistic hires. It shouldn’t even be debatable. The question is if Rhule wants to coach or take early retirement. I guarantee that if I was getting the coin he is getting to not coach it would take A LOT to get me to take NU’s job

Not true in all cases IMO. Some coaches keep looking for the next challenge to conquer. Why did Saban and Meyer, for example, leave cushy successful college jobs to try out the NFL (where they failed). Or why did Lincoln Riley jump from Oklahoma to USC? Or Brian Kelly from Notre Dame to LSU?
Riley because he is scared of the SEC schedule, Kelly because he wanted to be in the playoffs on a regular basis and easier recruiting, Saban and Meyer because they are both flakes with low moral character... Not saying they are impossible to find, just rarely available.

• Wow

Bill O'Brien 3-3 vs ranked teams at Penn St (50%) PROBABLE
Aranda 4-5 vs ranked teams at Baylor (44%) DELUSIONAL
Lane Kiffin 4-5 vs ranked teams at Ole Miss (44%) DELUSIONAL
Klieman 4-6 vs ranked teams at Kansas St (40%) DELUSIONAL
Luke Fickell 6-10 vs ranked teams at Cincinnati (37%) DELUSIONAL
Campbell 10-19 vs ranked teams at Iowa St (34%) NOT WANTED
Mark Stoops 11-22 vs ranked team at Kentucky (33%) DELUSIONAL
Fleck 3-11 vs ranked teams at Minnesota (21%) DELUSIONAL
Leipold 1-4 vs ranked teams at Kansas (20%) DELUSIONAL
Jeff Monken 0-9 vs ranked teams at Army (0%) REALISTIC
Rhule 0-10 vs ranked teams at Baylor (0%) PROBABLE

Riley because he is scared of the SEC schedule, Kelly because he wanted to be in the playoffs on a regular basis and easier recruiting, Saban and Meyer because they are both flakes with low moral character... Not saying they are impossible to find, just rarely available.
And that's exactly the point. Different coaches have different motivations and reasons. For example, a coach might want to be at Nebraska due to the weak West Division, a big salary, NIL support, fanbase and a stable conference future. Or other reasons. Some fans are so beat down by the last several years that they can't the see the good reasons any more for a coach to consider Nebraska. But there are several reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT