ADVERTISEMENT

Hats off to Iowa

Washington is not gone and it’s going to shock absolutely nobody if Nebraska challenges for the west. Thanks for the laugh.

Also, you are projecting Martinez to leave after his Sophomore year? Bold strategy by him. Not sure it will pay off sitting out a whole year of football.
I project he leaves before his senior year.

For that matter any National Championship claimed outside the playoff system is simply mythical and left to conjecture. Asterisks are appropriate for those claimed prior to the playoffs considering we now have an actual system in place.

Lol. Funny how fans of a team sporting zero on-field accomplishments -- all time -- want to spout off about other teams' accomplishments.

Part of the culture, I guess.

For that matter any National Championship claimed outside the playoff system is simply mythical and left to conjecture. Asterisks are appropriate for those claimed prior to the playoffs considering we now have an actual system in place.

Ya it wouldn’t matter if you beat the #2,#3,#4 teams in the country at years end like Nebraska did in 71 and no conference has ever achieved that feat or beat 4 teams in the top 10 in 1995 by more than 3TD’s.

Probably. If he stays healthy. He is a beast.

But he won’t leave early before 2020.

Hopefully. That would mean he ripped the hell out of the league the next 2 seasons. To get back to winning things, we have to pull players who are able to perform at that kind of level.

Reactions: Mack In Motion
Okay, how many asterisks does Iowa have? Zero. There is no conjecture about Iowa. Everyone agrees they've never won a thing.

Everything about that program screams "we love mediocre".

Their "legenday" coach, Hayden Fry, is an excellent example. ("legendary" by Iowa standards)

Dude had a 37 year coaching career, posting a .560 winning percentage. So you assume that he was awesome at Iowa. Wrong. .613 winning percentage there. Losing bowl record both there and all time.

By comparison, other coaching "legends" as described by their fanbases:

Bear Bryant, Alabama legend. 38 year coaching career. .824 winning % there.
Steve Spurrier. Florida legend. 26 year career. .817 winning % there.
Tom Osborne. Nebraska legend. 25 year career. .836 winning % there.
DKR. Texas Legend. 23 year career, 20 at Texas. .774 winning % there.
Barry Switzer. Oklahoma legend.16 year career. .837 winning % there.
Bobby Bowden. FSU legend. 34 years at FSU .760 winning % there. Bowl winning % was ridiculous.
Woody Hayes. Ohio State legend. 28 years. .761 winning % there.
Bo Shembechler. Michigan legend. 21 years. .796 winning % there.
Bob Devaney. Nebraska legend. 11 years. .829 winning % there.

No wonder they wouldn't recognize other teams' on-field accomplishments. They don't have any of their own.

What? I have not set any standards. I simply said as confrence mates we should support each other and if you cannot get past your dislike for iowa to realize it's good for the confrence to win games that is very little bro like. If by living by the standards if you mean would I have cheered for nebby in a bowl, absolutely I would have. Also, if you see my name on here you have a really good idea of what it is on HR.

You use the same user name on the Iowa board, you're from this neutral minded individual you above. I view you on what you say over there. Don't play innocent! Hell, you even got banned on the herkie board. I have no issues with the Iowa football team, it's the self-righteous fans that make crap up.
Here is one for you! As a conference mate, you herkies should embrace Nebraska as a Blue Blood and acknowledge our success as MNC because its good for our division. How does that taste? Can't preach one without preaching the other. You want respect, then give respect, simple as that! Honestly, I don't ever see the herkie board coming close to that.

Last edited:
Reactions: SOHusker11

How quaint, another Herkie setting more standards on what's real and not real. Guess what, those 5 big azz trophies sitting on display in Nebraska are real and awarded claiming Nebraska as the football champions. What's not real is your hopes of winning one in your lifetime.

How quaint, another Herkie setting more standards on what's real and not real. Guess what, those 5 big azz trophies sitting on display in Nebraska are real and awarded claiming Nebraska as the football champions. What's not real is your hopes of winning one in your lifetime.
In 2019 they are referred to as mythical.

In 2019 they are referred to as mythical.

Good point. We need to get some PSU fans here to debate undefeated 1994 teams and some Michigan fans to debate undefeated 1997 teams.

Maybe you should go to the Kansas St. or Oklahoma St. board to talk about whose Insight Bowl (now Cheez-It Bowl) win was more impressive?

There are a lot of things to admire about the Iowa football program:
  • Their walk-on program produces the sorts of players that Nebraska used to produce and is working toward producing again;
  • Their consistency — even if it means 7- and 8-win seasons instead of 9-win seasons as Nebraska used to produce — keeps them in bowl games and in contention for division championships, even if they've won only one in the eight years of division play (same number as Nebraska, BTW);
  • Their player development, which turns 3-star recruits into NFL draft picks and all-conference performers;
  • Their fan loyalty, which often fills Kinnick Stadium and invades other venues, is something that endears newcomers to the Iowa City area;
  • Their student body, which is unwavering in its support for the Hawkeyes, and generally not nearly as obnoxious as other places I've visited and worked.
On the flip side, there's (at least) one thing not to admire about the Iowa football program:
  • Douche-nozzles who come to a Nebraska board to simply be pains in the ass. They're not representative of the kind and generous people who inhabit this great state. I think they have a mental illness.

And if Hockenson turns pro Iowa losses even more. I feel okay with having Martinez/Spielman/Washington.

Count me in on that. It was Washington who tore in to their asses in the passing game as a true freshman. They have to face that guy for the next 2-3 seasons.

Lucky? It took a forward flip fumble and recovery to keep MIss St in the game. Iowa did just enough to win against arguably the best D in the nation. I’ll settle for 9-4 and momentum going into 2019 with a loaded team.

The only thing associated with Iowa that's loaded is one of their fans that hangs out on a Nebraska board.

For some reason it posted. Nebraska kids would walk on and many good lineman would come out of it. NCAA didn't test for steroids which also didn't hurt. All of this success now has Nebraska fans thinking they deserve 10 and 11 win seasons.

You don't know shit about Nebraska fans. Reality has been forced upon us. We know where we stand.

Your team is average.

ADVERTISEMENT