ADVERTISEMENT

Has trev been calling rhule?

Failed at last coaching gig: check
Beat 2 ranked teams (21 E. Carolina and 20 Navy) in 7 seasons including none at Baylor: check

Sign him up!
Hiring Rhule would be like what the NFL did for years. They recycled the same mediocre guys thinking the GM was going to get some them enough talent to make them a better coach. I would rather give Mickey a shot

Rhule has a reputation for turning programs around and belongs on a college sideline and not in the NFL.

Rhule rose to prominence after taking over a historically awful Temple program in 2013, and in a few short years, transformed them into an American Athletic Conference power. After going 2-10 in his first season, the Owls improved to 6-6 the following year.

The team then made a huge jump in Year 3. The Owls won their division and reached the 10-win mark, something it had accomplished only once before (1979) in school history, which dates back to 1930. They subsequently earned an invitation to just their fifth-ever bowl game, and the first since 2011. Temple spent a program-record seven weeks in the AP Top 25 during the 2015 season, the first time they had been ranked since 1979. The only other instances where the Owls had been in the AP Top 25 were in 1974, 1941 and 1936.

Temple followed up with another 10-win campaign and won the AAC championship in 2016, the program's first conference title since 1967. The Owls finished the regular season ranked No. 23 in the AP Top 25. Over the course of his last two seasons, Rhule coached 19 All-AAC players, including nine first-team selections, as well as the 2015 AAC Defensive Player of the Year.

Three days after Temple defeated No. 19 Navy 34-10 in the AAC championship game, Rhule left to take the job at Baylor. He replaced interim head coach Jim Grobe, who came out of semi-retirement to help navigate Baylor through a tumultuous 2016 season. Art Briles had been fired the previous May after a report alleging he and other coaches botched numerous sexual assault accusations levied against several football players.

Rhule took over the embattled Baylor football program, and like he did at Temple, turned it into a contender in a short amount of time. After going 1-11 in his first season, the Bears improved to 7-6 the following year, which included a bowl victory.

The big jump came again in Year 3. Rhule was named the 2019 Big 12 Coach of the Year after Baylor went 11-3, won their division and finished ranked No. 13 in the AP Top 25. Two of their three losses came to an Oklahoma team that played in the College Football Playoff; 34-31 during the regular season, and 30-23(OT) in the Big 12 Championship Game. They lost in the Sugar Bowl to the Georgia Bulldogs, who finished the season No. 4.

After his second expedited program rebuild, Rhule was a hot commodity and NFL franchises came calling. The New York Giants and Carolina Panthers both pursued him heavily, with the Panthers offering him a seven-year, $62 million contract the day he interviewed. Three years later, he is still the seventh-highest-paid coach in the NFL.

Because he is such a well regarded coach and program builder, if and when Rhule is let go by the Panthers, he will be a very popular target for every college athletic director looking for a head coach. That should also include Trev Alberts.

“Right now, where we are, we need a leader who understands the infinite details of everything about football,” Alberts said late last month. “And that's why it's really complicated. People just think it's X's and O's and schemes. That's not what builds a great program. It's the foundational stuff and it’s the culture stuff.” Alberts may as well have been holding up an 8x10 glossy of Matt Rhule while he said that.

Alberts wants a program builder? Here he is. Rhule has proven he can build a winner in different conferences at schools located over 1500 miles from each other. His process and blueprint is portable and it fits what Alberts is looking for and what will work in Lincoln.

The formula to win at Nebraska starts with an organized, detail-oriented head coach and a staff of established, proven assistants who develop talent. A staff that grinds on the recruiting trail and assembles a team with a core made up of Midwest players and supplemented nationally.

Despite having a background as an offensive coordinator, Matt Rhule's teams at Temple and Baylor emphasized and won with defense. He's coached both the offensive and defensive lines, so he knows the value of winning the line of scrimmage, something his teams have done at every stop. His teams in the AAC and Big 12 were built like a Big Ten team. I think Matt Rhule will thrive again at the college level.

The only sticking point with him is the timing. Nebraska certainly isn't waiting until the end of the NFL regular season in January to hire its coach. Alberts is going to want his coach - no matter who it is - in place by the first week of December. What happens if Carolina is sitting at 3-8 heading into Thanksgiving week? The writing would be on the wall regarding his future at that point.

If Rhule's fired by the Panthers, the franchise would owe him the balance of his contract, roughly $35 million. If, hypothetically, Alberts decides Rhule is his guy, you have to assume Panthers owner David Tepper would be willing to negotiate his early release with the Husker brass. After all, if Nebraska was willing to pay $7.5 million to flush Scott Frost three weeks early, I'm sure there is an amicable dollar amount that would appease all parties to get Rhule to Lincoln by Monday following the end of the regular season.

That way, Rhule could get to work assembling his staff and preparing for the early signing period (Dec. 21-23). Also keep in mind the first day players can enter the transfer portal is Dec. 5, with a 45-day window ensuing. Whoever it ends up being, Nebraska's next coach will want to be ready to hit the ground running on both fronts.

For sure there will be many against hiring rhule, he's not scotty boy, hiphip huray mike, physco bo, no defence callahan, or one dimentional solich. but after 5 attemps to hire a stable coach with a winning record of program rebuilding...people with sense see the golden rhule as the tried and true sure fire path forward.

Last edited:
Failed at last coaching gig: check
Beat 2 ranked teams (21 E. Carolina and 20 Navy) in 7 seasons including none at Baylor: check

Sign him up!
Technically I think UT was ranked when Baylor beat him while he was coach but I get what your saying.

I really don’t want an average guy whose going to take years to develop a program and at best go 9-3 & 8-4 in the regular season.

Leipold has a .500 FBS record but for some reason everyone thinks he’s so great but his best seasons are went 8-5 & 10-4 @ Buffalo & started off 5-0 @ KU. I mean, that’s supposed to be impressive. Can’t wait… seriously depressing shit. I’d probably just be done with college football at that point. Something I couldn’t ever imagine doing but then again, I can’t imagine hiring .500 coaches that have 80 - 100 recruiting classes and being super excited about it. Smells as Mike Riley 2.0

correct me if I’m wrong but Lance has never beat a ranked team

Last edited:
Reactions: huntered
Technically I think UT was ranked when Baylor beat him while he was coach but I get what your saying.

I really don’t want an average guy whose going to take years to develop a program and at best go 9-3 & 8-4 in the regular season.

Leipold has a .500 FBS record but for some reason everyone thinks he’s so great but his best seasons are went 8-5 & 10-4 @ Buffalo & started off 5-0 @ KU. I mean, that’s supposed to be impressive. Can’t wait… seriously depressing shit. I’d probably just be done with college football at that point. Something I couldn’t ever imagine doing but then again, I can’t imagine hiring .500 coaches that have 80 - 100 recruiting classes and being super excited about it.

correct me if I’m wrong but Lance has never beat a ranked team
Yeah I’d prefer Rhule to Leipold as well. He sustained success at Temple and flipped Baylor. Obviously he’s no Urban but hardly anyone is. He’s proven more than most of our “realistic” guys.

I just don’t think LL would recruit well enough to win here. He’s inherited a roster full of Les Miles guys, who had 3 top 50 classes when he was there. Not killer recruiting classes but pretty good for KU.

Compare that to LL’s class last year, which was not even in the top 100, and this year even with their run they’re in the mid 80s. LL would likely bring the core of guys guys that have been with him for 20 years so I don’t know if you just make up for that with assistants either.

Nebraska as a state/program doesn’t have the local talent to make up for below average or poor recruiting.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Yeah I’d prefer Rhule to Leipold as well. He sustained success at Temple and flipped Baylor. Obviously he’s no Urban but hardly anyone is. He’s proven more than most of our “realistic” guys.

I just don’t think LL would recruit well enough to win here. He’s inherited a roster full of Les Miles guys, who had 3 top 50 classes when he was there. Not killer recruiting classes but pretty good for KU.

Compare that to LL’s class last year, which was not even in the top 100, and this year even with their run they’re in the mid 80s. LL would likely bring the core of guys guys that have been with him for 20 years so I don’t know if you just make up for that with assistants either.

Nebraska as a state/program doesn’t have the local talent to make up for below average or poor recruiting.
Lance isn’t investing in Kansas’ future and that’s sad so many people on this board are failing to see what he’s really doing to that program. He will jump ship this year and leave the cupboard bare for the next coach @ KU.

• Haha
Reactions: Dylman
Rhule would not be the first good college coach who failed in the NFL (Holtz, Saban, Spurrier, etc. ) and came back and did really well in college. Nebraska needs a proven college head coach who can win at a challenging place. He should be on Nebraska’s short list. Never heard a bad word about the guy. He pretty much checks all the boxes on and off the field. Proven commodity.

I don't understand this. Rhule turned around two college programs that were in the crapper, but you'd rather take a chance on a guy with zero experience in building a program?
i guess it depends on what his staff would look like. He turned two less-profile programs around never really beating any noteworthy ranked teams in the process. So I question his top end. Yes, MJ is a risky as well. Anyone we go with is going to be risky.

i guess it depends on what his staff would look like. He turned two less-profile programs around never really beating any noteworthy ranked teams in the process. So I question his top end. Yes, MJ is a risky as well. Anyone we go with is going to be risky.

If Rhule's resumé isn't good enough for you, then MJ shouldn't even be in the conversation. Turning around Temple and Baylor is way more impressive than beating bad Indiana and Rutgers teams. I don't think you realize how bad of a situation he inherited at Baylor.

Now, if MJ goes on to win the majority of the rest of our games, he deserves some consideration....but I think it's far more likely we lose all of the remaining games on our schedule.

We would be 11-1 this year if all we did were beat non- noteworthy teams … which would make us noteworthy for the first time in a long while

If Rhule's resumé isn't good enough for you, then MJ shouldn't even be in the conversation. Turning around Temple and Baylor is way more impressive than beating bad Indiana and Rutgers teams. I don't think you realize how bad of a situation he inherited at Baylor.

Now, if MJ goes on to win the majority of the rest of our games, he deserves some consideration....but I think it's far more likely we lose all of the remaining games on our schedule.
That is a fair assessment.

I don't understand this. Rhule turned around two college programs that were in the crapper, but you'd rather take a chance on a guy with zero experience in building a program?
Mickey brings some things to the table that Rhule maybe doesn’t. It’s good to have options at this point. I would be fine with either but I’m rooting hard for Mickey

Consideration at the very best. Not a front runner or even at the table for the Nebraska gig. Mickey and company can change that narrative, but it seems like a Herculean hill to climb.

Hiring Rhule would be like what the NFL did for years. They recycled the same mediocre guys thinking the GM was going to get some them enough talent to make them a better coach. I would rather give Mickey a shot
Depends on how Mickey finishes out the season.

Mickey brings some things to the table that Rhule maybe doesn’t. It’s good to have options at this point. I would be fine with either but I’m rooting hard for Mickey
I agree. My biggest thing is, is recruiting and Mickey is a dynamo. CFB is a recruiting game. You have to have to horses if you want to win a real championship. That is step 1. From there, get coaches around Mickey that not only can coach, but they can recruit. If we kept Mickey, I'd keep the following:

HC - Mickey - Recruiter, Motivator, Organizer
TE - Beckton - Good coach, Good Recruiter so keep him if he wants to stay - Raise
RB - Applewhite - Good Coach, Good Recruiter so I'd try and keep him - Raise
WR - Vacant - Need a good coach / recruiter
OL - Vacant - Recruiting and Coaching are a huge need here. Pay Big Dollars
OC - Vacant - Spend the money on a big time coordinator. Recruiter / Coach

DC - Busch has done a good job, but I'd hire a top flight D-Coordinator
OLB - Vacant
ILB - Vacant
DL - Vacant
CB's - Fisher - Keep him. He's done a good job and now that Chins is gone the corners look good again. Get him more money.

Special Teams / Safety - Busch - Keep the for sure

Probably a few I'm missing.

He would need some dynamite coordinators
I know he would be a recycled NFL guy, but he just might be a big enough name to attract those types of coordinators.

Interestingly enough he used CO-OC when at Baylor I don't know if Jeff Nixon followed him to Carolina or if he had always been on their radar (doubt it).

I know he didn't have a good track record vs ranked teams. But, in his last year at Baylor the 2 conf losses to OU/OSU were by 3 pts and their loss to Georgia wasn't a total blowout. I wonder if he had stuck around if they had gotten over that hump.

I hate to "defend" almost,. But he had shown upward trajectory at both Temple and Baylor.

Considering the dumpster fire he inherited at Baylor and 11 wins in a Power 5 after 3 years, we could do a whole lot worse.(If he gets the job). His track record beats 16-31 and being part of the illustrious best 3-9 team of all time.

GBR

Last edited:
Rhule would not be the first good college coach who failed in the NFL (Holtz, Saban, Spurrier, etc. ) and came back and did really well in college. Nebraska needs a proven college head coach who can win at a challenging place. He should be on Nebraska’s short list. Never heard a bad word about the guy. He pretty much checks all the boxes on and off the field. Proven commodity.
I agree. If we land him, we will have landed the second-best available coach out there (UM being the first).

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
I agree. My biggest thing is, is recruiting and Mickey is a dynamo. CFB is a recruiting game. You have to have to horses if you want to win a real championship. That is step 1. From there, get coaches around Mickey that not only can coach, but they can recruit. If we kept Mickey, I'd keep the following:

HC - Mickey - Recruiter, Motivator, Organizer
TE - Beckton - Good coach, Good Recruiter so keep him if he wants to stay - Raise
RB - Applewhite - Good Coach, Good Recruiter so I'd try and keep him - Raise
WR - Vacant - Need a good coach / recruiter
OL - Vacant - Recruiting and Coaching are a huge need here. Pay Big Dollars
OC - Vacant - Spend the money on a big time coordinator. Recruiter / Coach

DC - Busch has done a good job, but I'd hire a top flight D-Coordinator
OLB - Vacant
ILB - Vacant
DL - Vacant
CB's - Fisher - Keep him. He's done a good job and now that Chins is gone the corners look good again. Get him more money.

Special Teams / Safety - Busch - Keep the for sure

Probably a few I'm missing.
Coaches that know how to coach and develop kids.

ADVERTISEMENT