ADVERTISEMENT

Has Scott Frost seen the light?

Sheeze guys, no one said there was this amazing cast of talent around our QB. You don't have to a coach to see that. You should question why we are perpetually "young" and why we are not seeing the improvement in those around the QB. Talk about the center hikes all day, why didn't they get fixed, ask the right questions.

This doesn't absolve AM from not seeing the field better, making slow and late decisions and overall not taking better care of the ball. Sure some better athletes will take we pressure off but there are without doubt missed plays that only he can fix, no one around him.

Lol! Quite a massive understatement sir. Maybe you should consider that HCSF took over Smiling Mike's mess which quite possibly takes more than instant time to rebuild. Especially for OLine play. Maybe not quite like TO taking over
Devaney's results (two NCs in his last 3 years).

Anyways....we'll see. It should be more fun for us this year.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and bluenrg
Lol! Quite a massive understatement sir. Maybe you should consider that HCSF took over Smiling Mike's mess which quite possibly takes more than instant time to rebuild. Especially for OLine play. Maybe not quite like TO taking over
Devaney's results (two NCs in his last 3 years).

Anyways....we'll see. It should be more fun for us this year.
So again I ask, if the OLine sucked so bad, why didn't Frost just start the studs he recruited and let the Jaimes' and the Farniok's of the team just sit the bench. I understand youth and development, but Benhart and Corcoran were both highly recruited guys. Other schools are able to start true freshmen on the OLine why couldn't we, especially if the players playing in front of them are so damn bad.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
So again I ask, if the OLine sucked so bad, why didn't Frost just start the studs he recruited and let the Jaimes' and the Farniok's of the team just sit the bench. I understand youth and development, but Benhart and Corcoran were both highly recruited guys. Other schools are able to start true freshmen on the OLine why couldn't we, especially if the players playing in front of them are so damn bad.
I agree with you, but I do think Corcoron should have played more. He did pretty well in his short time on the field.

You're asking again? So very sorry Tuco. I must have missed it.

Well, I'm not aware of programs that have big success with true freshmen offensive linemen. Sure, there are exceptions like anything else but I think not very many. Anyways, it's got to be tough call.....with the HC's option of choosing to play freshmen linemen or experienced but somewhat marginal linemen.

Imo, it's just not easy building a true smashmouth Oline. I think our OLine is gradually getting better but we'll see.

Last edited:
You're asking again? So very sorry Tuco. I must have missed it.

Well, I'm not aware of programs that have big success with true freshmen offensive linemen. Sure, there are exceptions like anything else but I think not very many. Anyways, it's got to be tough call.....with the HC's option of choosing to play freshmen linemen or experienced but somewhat marginal linemen.

Imo, it's just not easy building a true smashmouth Oline. I think our OLine is gradually getting better but we'll see.
Well if you have a marginal OLine and marginal older players and have a poor team, what difference does it make if you lose with young players or old players?

best I can tell we had 2 freshmen that would have started last year that may have been better than what was put out there.

what are you talking about with “big success”? I never used those words. I said other programs are able to play true freshmen on the OL. Why can’t we. The fact remains we had below average success with what they have put out there.

Well if you have a marginal OLine and marginal older players and have a poor team, what difference does it make if you lose with young players or old players?

best I can tell we had 2 freshmen that would have started last year that may have been better than what was put out there.

what are you talking about with “big success”? I never used those words. I said other programs are able to play true freshmen on the OL. Why can’t we. The fact remains we had below average success with what they have put out there.
Benhart and Piper started as RS freshman along with Jurgens, Jaimes and the older Farniok. Corcoran backed up Jaimes, who may make an NFL roster and was Honorable Mention all B1G. I would say that if we think Corcoran vs. Jaimes starting was a coin flip, that bodes well for NU offensive line production over the next few years.
So who was the other freshman that should have started over Farniok, who was also all B1G Honorable Mention and may make an NFL roster?

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
If they can make peace with dialing up the obvious, boring play call more often then this narrative makes sense. If they don't, it's an aimless drift even further away from having the players to properly run the plays he can't help but call.

The Rutgers game (minus Martinez fumbling on half the drives) is their blueprint for how to have offensive success. They figured out that Mills was their best weapon and they set him up for success by getting him a head of steam coming toward the line of scrimmage.
Yeah, but it's Rutgers, even Purdue rushed for about 200 yards against Rutgers.

Definitely our lines on both sides won't get pushed around any longer, in fact we might be setting better line play on both sides in the West. It will come down too poor coaching, skill position play, defensive mental breakdowns, QB turnovers, ect. How many times does AM drop back to pass, no one open, then sack or 1 yard gain.

I sure hope so and actually do believe it's quite possible. If so, I also sure hope the endless horizontal passes gets dumped and we get reasonable hikes for AMart. Having a good OLine is a terrific asset and if it happens it should help our offense boatloads.

Lastly, even a somewhat marginal special team would be a massive improvement for NU. I'll just hope for the best!

Great post and video examples. Other than weight lifting, the media that gets put out seems more targeted at the guys having fun. Maybe that's what they want from a recruiting perspective? but it's a big contrast to those two Bama clips. It would be interesting to compare and contrast normal practice days between the two programs to see what it is really like when there are no cameras present.

I think defensively, we are starting to get there, and this year will tell us how much that is true. I believe those guys on that side of the ball have their mojo together and play well as a team now. It's just the offensive side of the ball that has been lost.. lacking leadership or whatever it is, it's not the same vibe.

It also seems to me that there might have been a shift in how Scott is recruiting the QB position. Maybe it's nothing, but it seems more emphasis is being placed on the passing game vs previously more emphasis was put on the running ability. It's too early to tell as that is going to take more time to reveal itself. Smothers though, is a big time running talent, likely better than AM and LM, but have to see on the other skills. He might fit more of the Taylor Martinez mold, and that would be a great thing for the position and the program right now.

Absolutely 100% correct sir!

He has seen the light and has been trying to recruit the talent needed to win. There is blame abounding but the lack of talent has been very noticeable ( see NFL draft). I think this is the first year we look like he wants us too and we have a little depth. For the first time in years I have hope for a bowl game ..

Sheeze guys, no one said there was this amazing cast of talent around our QB. You don't have to a coach to see that. You should question why we are perpetually "young" and why we are not seeing the improvement in those around the QB. Talk about the center hikes all day, why didn't they get fixed, ask the right questions.

This doesn't absolve AM from not seeing the field better, making slow and late decisions and overall not taking better care of the ball. Sure some better athletes will take we pressure off but there are without doubt missed plays that only he can fix, no one around him.
I agree totally. I would bet Joe Burrows would have improved the overall play of our whole team.

Yeah, but it's Rutgers, even Purdue rushed for about 200 yards against Rutgers.
yeah, this. Rutgers had basically mailed it in by this point in the season. I mean, AM threw what, 5 picks and we still won? Rutgers also rolled out some hot head frat boy as their QB. They are a joke.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT