ADVERTISEMENT

Has Scott Frost seen the light?

Other neat things from Pro Football Focus:

1. Ben Stille is 1st Team All Conference DL over Daviyon Nixon, the Big Ten Player of the Year.
2. Dylan Utter is the highest ranked offensive linemen at Nebraska of the last decade.
3. Dicaprio Bootle is a MUCH better Cornerback than Cam Taylor-Britt
4. Louisiana - Lafayette had a better offensive line than LSU and Alabama in 2019.
5. Western Kentucky had a better offensive line than Clemson.
6. Toledo had a better offensive line than 9 SEC teams and 8 Big Ten Teams.
7. Every team from the MAC, Conference USA, American, and all but one Sun Belt team had a better offensive line than Indiana.
8. Jack Heflin, a Grad Transfer DT at Iowa, was ranked higher than Daviyon Nixon from Iowa, again the obvious Big Ten Defensive Player of the year.
9. San Diego State, a MWC team with 6 games under the belt vs. other MW teams, had a better secondary than 12 SEC teams and 12 Big Ten Teams.
10. Oh.. and Luke McCaffery is a much better QB than Adrian Martinez.

Pro Football Focus does a terrific job at the pro level because every player in the NFL is already a pro. If a WR is facing a Corner in man coverage in the NFL, its valuable because two NFL guys are facing off.

At the College Level, its lunacy to try an evaluate production when talent is not even.
their analysis of Martinez is a lot closer to what everyone with even minimally working eyeballs sees from him 27 starts into his career than yours, which consists of saying he's a 'real QB' with literally nothing to support said statement.

I'm not holding my breath for him to all of a sudden be two things he's never been at NU (a winner + not turnover prone) in 2021.

Having the last name of Martinez does seem to bring the haters out in the fan base. I'm sure some very unkind posts could be dredged up about Taylor.

Having the last name of Martinez does seem to bring the haters out in the fan base. I'm sure some very unkind posts could be dredged up about Taylor.

Taylor used to drive me nuts for a lot of reasons. I can only imagine what things would've been like if we had to reverse some personnel from 2012 and 2020:

WR Quincy Enunwa traded for Kade Warner
WR Kenny Bell traded for Wandale Robinson
WR Jamal Turner traded for Levi Falck
TE Kyler Reed traded for Jack Stoll
TE Ben Cotton traded for Austin Allen
RB Ameer Abdullah traded for RB Dedrick Mills
RB Rex Burkhead traded for RB Marvin Scott III

Or even in 2013 when Nebraska needed three QBs to get thru the season:

WR Quincy Enunwa for Kade Warner
WR Kenny Bell for Wandale Robinson
WR Jordan Westerkamp for Levi Falck
WR Sam Burtch for WR Wyatt Liewer
WR Jamal Turner for WR Oliver Martin
TE Cethan Carter for Austin Allen
RB Ameer Abdullah for Dedrick Mills
RB Imani Cross for Marvin Scott
RB Terrel Newby for Rahmir Johson

I think Taylor would've been a mess with the current talent today, while Adrian Martinez would've had some huge numbers in 2012 and 2013.

I am following all of the responses in this thread but can't understand why you keep wanting to bring Taylor into this?
Statistically, Taylor Martinez is the most successful QB in NU history and has a rather lengthy list of awards, but if you were to browse this particular message board during his playing days your would have thought he was some weirdo out there impersonating a QB. Postings about how (insert QB who transferred from NU) wasn't getting his shot. NU was lucky when TMart's career was finally ended by an injury he couldn't play through in that they had Tommy Armstrong on the roster. Presently, the same treatment is being given to the current Martinez.

Reactions: loper
By everyone you mean, yourself, and the heroin addicted bassist for Motley Crue. There is a reason nobody takes you dudes seriously.
Many others believe it too, the two you mentioned just post about it more. So don’t confuse posting about it frequently with believing everyone thinking Martinez is not incompetent

Martinez is not a competitive person, and most objective people can see that. I'm sure he will make a fine camp counselor or something, he is a nice guy after all, but he's not going to be the field general your team needs to step on the neck of your opponent week after week.

If I was coach, I would be so far past Martinez at this point, he would not be with the program. Scott though has a chip on his shoulder, and he is going to show us all.. come hell or high water.. he's gonna prove it to everyone.. even the NFL that HE IS A QB.. wait, that Martinez is.. sigh..

The reality is, the coach is not even close to being objective and is tanking the program he claims to love because of his own ghosts.

But hey, it's the offseason, so if's and buts yada yada yada...
i got an idea, lets recruit some more projects. who knows might work as well as another wide receiver screen

• Haha
Reactions: NikkiSixx
I remember a time on this board when Barney Cotton was tarred as the worst Oline coach in FBS. So bad he could on muster two top 10 and three top 20 finishes in rushing ypg. Generally, NU's centers were undersized, with mistakes and penalties making routine appearances, with one by Jake Cotton being particularly memorable.
It would seem that the difference between a legit rushing attack and a poorer one is having guys like Burkhead, Tommy, TMart, Helu, and AA on the roster.

Yes sir, you're 100% on the money with those awesome players you mention.

However, I would guess having a smash-mouth OLine also helps boatloads. Having hikes that don't fly all over the place would help a lot too. Lastly, any even marginal improvement with our special teams would really, really help.

Haha, we'll just hope for the best. :)

I'm sure Daviyon was double teamed more than Stille. And I'm not even bringing up stats, but it was evident to every coach, media member, fan, and NFL scout that Daviyon Nixon was the most dominant defensive player in the Big Ten.

And I am really happy that Stille is coming back to Nebraska, don't get me wrong. But there is a reason Stille is coming back to college and Nixon is leaving early.
I admire your defense of this dumpster fire we call an offense. I think if you're honest in your evaluation, you'll admit that even when things are going well and we're moving the ball, Martinez has a way of turning it over or totally killing a drive. He just does not have the right stuff you look for in a quarterback. He's an athletic person, but not the right guy for the job. And of course there's no one better pushing him, so it's his job by default. If Frost believed in him, McCaffrey would have languished on the bench. Instead he gave McCaffrey every opportunity, and he too is not a quarterback at the division 1 level.

I admire your defense of this dumpster fire we call an offense. I think if you're honest in your evaluation, you'll admit that even when things are going well and we're moving the ball, Martinez has a way of turning it over or totally killing a drive. He just does not have the right stuff you look for in a quarterback. He's an athletic person, but not the right guy for the job. And of course there's no one better pushing him, so it's his job by default. If Frost believed in him, McCaffrey would have languished on the bench. Instead he gave McCaffrey every opportunity, and he too is not a quarterback at the division 1 level.

Not to mention Frost named Luke as the future of the program.

It all starts with the head coach, and if he somehow improves from last year, then everything else should as well. It would be interesting if you could bring Clemson or Bama to Lincoln and observe their practices, then head back to Nebraska's and see the contrasts between them.

It all starts with the head coach, and if he somehow improves from last year, then everything else should as well. It would be interesting if you could bring Clemson or Bama to Lincoln and observe their practices, then head back to Nebraska's and see the contrasts between them.

So exactly how different are they? Enlighten?

Reactions: OzzyLvr
So exactly how different are they? Enlighten?
Well, right now we know man for man, Alabama has better players, so you would notice that right away. Intensity and focus would more than likely be better than Nebraska's and probably a greater amount of repetitions in the time they practice. Their stations are better coached and efficiency would no doubt be miles ahead as well.

Overall, Alabama has a much better staff and that is probably the second biggest difference you would notice, or maybe their coaching would be the most notable. OU had good players when John Blake was coaching, he and his staff couldn't get the best out of them. Ditto for Texas lately.

Saban has seen many coaches come and go since he's been at Bama, but he is the constant that makes that program so great and why you would see a pretty good contrast in practices. Maybe you wouldn't see much difference in the plays they run, but the precision, and again, intensity and focus would clearly be in Bama's favor.

Watch a few of these videos and tell me you wouldn't see a difference. Saban runs 100 plus play scrimmages on Thursday's if he felt his team played poorly the previous Saturday or practice was sluggish the previous three days. Nebraska has a long ways to go getting their quality of players and their type of coaching.

Last edited:
Well, right now we know man for man, Alabama has better players, so you would notice that right away. Intensity and focus would more than likely be better than Nebraska's and probably a greater amount of repetitions in the time they practice. Their stations are better coached and efficiency would no doubt be miles ahead as well.

Overall, Alabama has a much better staff and that is probably the second biggest difference you would notice, or maybe their coaching would be the most notable. OU had good players when John Blake was coaching, he and his staff couldn't get the best out of them. Ditto for Texas lately.

Saban has seen many coaches come and go since he's been at Bama, but he is the constant that makes that program so great and why you would see a pretty good contrast in practices. Maybe you wouldn't see much difference in the plays they run, but the precision, and again, intensity and focus would clearly be in Bama's favor.

Watch a few of these videos and tell me you wouldn't see a difference. Saban runs 100 plus play scrimmages on Thursday's if he felt his team played poorly the previous Saturday or practice was sluggish the previous three days. Nebraska has a long ways to go getting their quality of players and their type of coaching.
What is truly sad is that Frost actually witnessed and participated in one of the most efficient coaches practices - Tom Osborne. Even with that background and TO to consult to this day, we get the sh*tshow Frost delivers each Saturday.

Great post and video examples. Other than weight lifting, the media that gets put out seems more targeted at the guys having fun. Maybe that's what they want from a recruiting perspective? but it's a big contrast to those two Bama clips. It would be interesting to compare and contrast normal practice days between the two programs to see what it is really like when there are no cameras present.

I think defensively, we are starting to get there, and this year will tell us how much that is true. I believe those guys on that side of the ball have their mojo together and play well as a team now. It's just the offensive side of the ball that has been lost.. lacking leadership or whatever it is, it's not the same vibe.

It also seems to me that there might have been a shift in how Scott is recruiting the QB position. Maybe it's nothing, but it seems more emphasis is being placed on the passing game vs previously more emphasis was put on the running ability. It's too early to tell as that is going to take more time to reveal itself. Smothers though, is a big time running talent, likely better than AM and LM, but have to see on the other skills. He might fit more of the Taylor Martinez mold, and that would be a great thing for the position and the program right now.

Well, I am shocked to hear that there is more talent at Clemson and Bama and that they have more high level players on their teams than the Huskers.

The question is what is different between the way Nebraska practices? I hear theoretical differences that we all understand, they have better players and have better practices which has nothing to do with how practices are set up, that has to do with the quality of the players and coaches. Nebraska was known for brutal and intense practices under Osborne, Frost was part of that. Where is the evidence that Nebraska doesn't or does practice "like" Bama or Clemson? Not that they look just like them in coaching and talent.

I am not there so I can't assume.

Well, I am shocked to hear that there is more talent at Clemson and Bama and that they have more high level players on their teams than the Huskers.

The question is what is different between the way Nebraska practices? I hear theoretical differences that we all understand, they have better players and have better practices which has nothing to do with how practices are set up, that has to do with the quality of the players and coaches. Nebraska was known for brutal and intense practices under Osborne, Frost was part of that. Where is the evidence that Nebraska doesn't or does practice "like" Bama or Clemson? Not that they look just like them in coaching and talent.

I am not there so I can't assume.
Watch the games this year and draw your own conclusions, you should have been able to do that the past few years. You play how you practice and prepare, pretty simple. If you get beat because you're out talented, so be it. Nebraska loses to teams that seemingly have lesser talent under Frost and his staff.

I'm going to "assume" or conclude that how they prepare and practice is a bit off of what Bama does.

Watch the games this year and draw your own conclusions, you should have been able to do that the past few years. You play how you practice and prepare, pretty simple. If you get beat because you're out talented, so be it. Nebraska loses to teams that seemingly have lesser talent under Frost and his staff.

I'm going to "assume" or conclude that how they prepare and practice is a bit off of what Bama does.

I don't think you picked up on the sarcasm. But oh well. Everyone with a brain realizes there is a major difference in the level of athletes we have versus Bama or Clemson and throw in tOSU as well. That is nothing new or surprising as 99% of all teams are in that situation.

It's how they practice that was the original question, not the level of athletes. Nebraska was known for hard hitting and brutal practices under TO, Frost was part of the receiving end of that. So he knows what worked then, it's not like these other teams figured out something no one else has.

Unless one was at both practices, I don't know how you could say we need to practice like they do? Maybe we do. I can tell you though and this may be a shock, there is a difference in coaching highly skilled athletes versus those who are at a lower level. Since Husker practices have been off limits, who knows what is really going on and how can anyone make a fair comparison?

Key word is seemingly. I haven’t seen any evidence beyond recruiting click bait sites that opponents have lesser talent...using the metrics of All conference and American accolades, player of the week honors, draft picks, and ultimately what our eye balls see of of college players and not HS Hudl highlights. NU needs a talent upgrade...it lags Wisky, Iowa, psu, Mich, OSU...and depending on the year other that include Minny, Indy, and msu.

Martinez is not a competitive person, and most objective people can see that. I'm sure he will make a fine camp counselor or something, he is a nice guy after all, but he's not going to be the field general your team needs to step on the neck of your opponent week after week.

If I was coach, I would be so far past Martinez at this point, he would not be with the program. Scott though has a chip on his shoulder, and he is going to show us all.. come hell or high water.. he's gonna prove it to everyone.. even the NFL that HE IS A QB.. wait, that Martinez is.. sigh..

The reality is, the coach is not even close to being objective and is tanking the program he claims to love because of his own ghosts.

But hey, it's the offseason, so if's and buts yada yada yada...
Our local high school team, the Glenwood Rams was quarterbacked last season by Tate Mayberry, a 5'11", 160lb sophomore. He was a 51% passer with 8 TD passes and 5 INTs in the shortened 5-3 season. He rushes well making 425 yards on 67 carries. Tate probably won't get a P5 offer, he is like hundreds of pedestrian QBs across the country. What makes him a pleasure to watch is he is a "real QB". He didn't fumble all year. He manages the game. He doesn't panic when the clock gets low. He usually makes the correct ZR. He throws the ball away when nothing is there. He routinely hits wide open receivers down field. He throws the ball hard when it needs zip and soft when it needs touch. The talent in Glenwood, Iowa can't be confused with the talent in South Florida, but it is good enough and Tate makes his teammates better. I can tell those guys have confidence in him and the team win or lose appears to be having a good time. I've posted here many times it boggles my mind Nebraska can't seem to find a guy who has the basic QB skills package. Or if they do, the guy never gets a legitimate shot. So frustrating.

I promise you, if you rewatch every game from last season, almost every player on the opposing team was more talented at that same position. NU does not have more talent than anybody they play. Plain and simple.

I promise you, if you rewatch every game from last season, almost every player on the opposing team was more talented at that same position. NU does not have more talent than anybody they play. Plain and simple.
Oh, so the teams that Nebraska beat last year still had way better talent? Whatever you say, dip stick.

... and Tate makes his teammates better. I can tell those guys have confidence in him and the team win or lose appears to be having a good time. ...
You are dead on. This is so important, I could not emphasize this enough.. you fix the trust issues, and everything changes for the better. This little detail (trust in QB, System, Coaching Staff, etc) is at the core of everything that has gone wrong the last 3 years.

Reactions: countrybob
Unless the recruiting services are worthless as tits on a boar at evaluating talent, NU has all the players it needs to compete for a Division title.

IF they keep them all and they don't transfer. IF they are developed by the position coaches. IF they are put in a position to win.

IF all the seniors would not have come back on D, we would be singing the same song, "we are young and rebuilding" perpetually.

There you go
So, having real wrs to throw to, a line that wasnt starting too many frosh, two real rbs, or, real talent around your qb.

Exactly Northwood. What so many simply can't understand for our qb WINS is that the play of the Oline makes a big, big difference. Center hikes flying everywhere doesn't help much either. Neither is our outrageously inept special teams play.

We'll see....some of those things should be better this year. If so, I bet AMart will look better.

Exactly Northwood. What so many simply can't understand for our qb WINS is that the play of the Oline makes a big, big difference. Center hikes flying everywhere doesn't help much either. Neither is our outrageously inept special teams play.

We'll see....some of those things should be better this year. If so, I bet AMart will look better.
Sheeze guys, no one said there was this amazing cast of talent around our QB. You don't have to a coach to see that. You should question why we are perpetually "young" and why we are not seeing the improvement in those around the QB. Talk about the center hikes all day, why didn't they get fixed, ask the right questions.

This doesn't absolve AM from not seeing the field better, making slow and late decisions and overall not taking better care of the ball. Sure some better athletes will take we pressure off but there are without doubt missed plays that only he can fix, no one around him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT