ADVERTISEMENT

Has Scott Frost seen the light?

resdog851

All-American
Dec 30, 2003
Papillion, Nebraska
I am not totally sure on the actual year, but is this 91' or 92' in reverse? Back then, Osborne kicked butt year in year out with a big giant defense and slow offense and would lose late in the season against much faster teams like Oklahoma and Florida State. He adjusted and built a much faster defense while keeping the powerhouse offense. The late season adjustments seem to indicate Frost has gone away from Oregon and back more towards what he ran. I sure hope this works much better. I am sick of Iowa and Minnesota rubbing our face with the Wisconsin style team Nebraska created.https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/fo..._Dhpy-1vPzHejJUhFmqNXzOvOKsTrqMH4XRM0DxfjeZMY

It's a good article by Sam, but I think he is trying to find silver linings. I don't get the impression anything has really changed scheme wise with coach Frost.

One thing of note is the size of the OL, and that's been recruited to for a couple of years.

I would like to see bigger all purpose running backs, because previously Frost has mostly recruited small fast (and injured) guys at that position.

If we become more power oriented, that would naturally aspire to more of a ball control offense which could be paired with a defense that takes less risks, and I'm just not sure that is where Frost is really going as I don't believe that sort of defense is even taught by the staff.

So the article is based on a big offensive line, which I think is a plus, as long as the QB can see over and distribute accordingly, but it doesn't imply what Sam is trying to insinuate.

Reactions: WHCSC
The article was a bit presumptive. And I feel like Sam McK went overboard about the size of dudes like Spielman, Mo, and Wandale instead of acknowledging the fact that those dudes hadn't played a game together in Nebraska's offense since basically late September of 2019.

While Nebraska certainly needed to get bigger at receiver, their biggest problem has been the absence of talented pass catcher's period.

Better OLine play and a real qb will do wonders. Hopefully Frost can correct his errors and turn this around.

Nebraska has a real QB. Can he play better? Absolutely. Does the offensive line need to become more consistent? Definitely.

But this offense desperately needs playmakers on the perimeter or it won't be overly effective.

Nebraska has a real QB. Can he play better? Absolutely. Does the offensive line need to become more consistent? Definitely.

But this offense desperately needs playmakers on the perimeter or it won't be overly effective.
if the 'real QB' needs all 10 players around him to be light years better for him to perform as you think he's able, he's not a real QB.

worst rated passer in the B1G both in a clean pocket and down field (20+ yards) for 2 years running, despite setting an NU record in completion percentage last year.

he is an anchor. there are dozens of quarterbacks in college football who do infinitely more with much less surrounding them in terms of pass catchers.

until #2 no longer takes snaps, our offense will be wandering around in the dark and we will not win anything of substance. the best season of his life resulted in 4 wins.

I fully understand the defense wasn't great in 2018 and we've had a revolving door at the skill positions ever since, but AM is the common denominator. in 27 starts, he has led this win-starved program to just one single 4th quarter comeback.

we talk about needing size as AM overthrows a 6'8" target in the endzone for an interception to cost us a chance at winnable game.

we talk about needing playmakers on the outside as AM overthrows a wide open Noa vs purdue for a touchdown to cost us a chance at a winnable game.

if there was a stat similar to WAR in baseball, I have zero doubt that AM's would be negative (worse than the average replacement-level player).

I will also go as far as saying no quarterback in the P5 does more to lose games for his team than our 'real QB'.

Last edited:
It's a good article by Sam, but I think he is trying to find silver linings. I don't get the impression anything has really changed scheme wise with coach Frost.

One thing of note is the size of the OL, and that's been recruited to for a couple of years.

I would like to see bigger all purpose running backs, because previously Frost has mostly recruited small fast (and injured) guys at that position.

If we become more power oriented, that would naturally aspire to more of a ball control offense which could be paired with a defense that takes less risks, and I'm just not sure that is where Frost is really going as I don't believe that sort of defense is even taught by the staff.

So the article is based on a big offensive line, which I think is a plus, as long as the QB can see over and distribute accordingly, but it doesn't imply what Sam is trying to insinuate.
Take a look at the article again. Most of our receivers are tall (I'm thinking around 6'4). and fast. I think only 2 are under 6' Our TE's are big, tall and thick. Our RB's are over 200lb.

Well, I'd say he better start seeing the light or he'll be seeing the door. Ha!
It used to be that this time of year lots of people were predicting great things for the next season. Now, we mostly debate what level of mediocrity keeps Frost employed. I’m guessing the magic number is 5 wins to stay employed but wouldn’t be surprised if 3 or 4 is enough.

Take a look at the article again. Most of our receivers are tall (I'm thinking around 6'4). and fast. I think only 2 are under 6' Our TE's are big, tall and thick. Our RB's are over 200lb.
YES, and assuming the quarterback has adequate time in the pocket, he must deliver the ball. I refuse to believe guys aren't getting open. I firmly believe the quarterback does not know where to go with the ball most of the time. It's a confidence thing. Not 100% his fault, but he's not overcoming deficiencies anywhere. No one plays the position in perfect conditions. He better set the world on fire in the non-con, or it's seriously time to start from scratch. This is year four.

If I see a run heavy attack with our running backs and a team that doesn't self-destruct with penalties and turnovers I'll believe he's seen some light. Martinez can have success if he's not relied on to carry the offense. When he tries to do too much it doesn't go well and I think the games Nebraska and Martinez has been best is when the backs are the focal point.

The article was a bit presumptive. And I feel like Sam McK went overboard about the size of dudes like Spielman, Mo, and Wandale instead of acknowledging the fact that those dudes hadn't played a game together in Nebraska's offense since basically late September of 2019.

While Nebraska certainly needed to get bigger at receiver, their biggest problem has been the absence of talented pass catcher's period.
I believe it was Corn who posted about Mo being perhaps to biggest loss from a player potential standpoint. Having a guy like that on the roster or a bigger talented WR makes the smaller slot guys productive. If all NU has in the passing game is the smaller slot types, that is an easier passing game to defend.

I am not totally sure on the actual year, but is this 91' or 92' in reverse? Back then, Osborne kicked butt year in year out with a big giant defense and slow offense and would lose late in the season against much faster teams like Oklahoma and Florida State. He adjusted and built a much faster defense while keeping the powerhouse offense. The late season adjustments seem to indicate Frost has gone away from Oregon and back more towards what he ran. I sure hope this works much better. I am sick of Iowa and Minnesota rubbing our face with the Wisconsin style team Nebraska created.https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/fo..._Dhpy-1vPzHejJUhFmqNXzOvOKsTrqMH4XRM0DxfjeZMY

Definitely our lines on both sides won't get pushed around any longer, in fact we might be setting better line play on both sides in the West. It will come down too poor coaching, skill position play, defensive mental breakdowns, QB turnovers, ect. How many times does AM drop back to pass, no one open, then sack or 1 yard gain.

Definitely our lines on both sides won't get pushed around any longer, in fact we might be setting better line play on both sides in the West. It will come down too poor coaching, skill position play, defensive mental breakdowns, QB turnovers, ect. How many times does AM drop back to pass, no one open, then sack or 1 yard gain.

Doesn't is usually come down to these things? They are called mistakes and we make them in spades.

I will be convinced of our line play when I see it and to date, that has not happened. Especially on the O line, technique it king and our guys simply do not have it.

I was only referring to RB's, as Frost tended to recruit a lot of scat backs. Remember, it was speed, speed, speed and heck for the first 2 years, I don't think he recruited a single TE, but I'm fine with the bigger line and bigger receivers.. I just don't think we have made any kind of philosophical change to power football as Sam was suggesting. It's still aggressive on D (giving up some points) and it will remain to be seen what the offense looks like depending on who is slinging it.

Reactions: sparky62
if the 'real QB' needs all 10 players around him to be light years better for him to perform as you think he's able, he's not a real QB.

worst rated passer in the B1G both in a clean pocket and down field (20+ yards) for 2 years running, despite setting an NU record in completion percentage last year.

he is an anchor. there are dozens of quarterbacks in college football who do infinitely more with much less surrounding them in terms of pass catchers.

until #2 no longer takes snaps, our offense will be wandering around in the dark and we will not win anything of substance. the best season of his life resulted in 4 wins.

I fully understand the defense wasn't great in 2018 and we've had a revolving door at the skill positions ever since, but AM is the common denominator. in 27 starts, he has led this win-starved program to just one single 4th quarter comeback.

we talk about needing size as AM overthrows a 6'8" target in the endzone for an interception to cost us a chance at winnable game.

we talk about needing playmakers on the outside as AM overthrows a wide open Noa vs purdue for a touchdown to cost us a chance at a winnable game.

if there was a stat similar to WAR in baseball, I have zero doubt that AM's would be negative (worse than the average replacement-level player).

I will also go as far as saying no quarterback in the P5 does more to lose games for his team than our 'real QB'.

Martinez doesn't need 10 elite players around him. But he does need receivers who would start for any other Big Ten Team. Often times in 2020, Nebraska had one dude who would classify as that man, Wandale. And the rest of the productive wideouts would've been nobodies for the rest of the league.

worst rated passer in the B1G both in a clean pocket and down field (20+ yards) for 2 years running, despite setting an NU record in completion percentage last year. - This isn't even remotely close to accurate.

- If you can't comprehend the hypocrisy in this statement, then you're too biased to hold a fair discussion. Does Iowa have a revolving door of skill players? Does Minnesota? What about Wisconsin? Hell, last year, Northwestern had 4 receivers with more than 30 career games under their belt. But the lack of continuity, that's all Adrian's fault when it involves Nebraska.

- That was a poor throw. And it went against the #1 pass defense in the country with two future 1st Round Draft choices in that secondary. Justin Fields vs. Ohio State - 11 for 27, 114 yards and 2 INTs, 0 TDs.

- I like you how you highlight some bad throws he's made, but you fail to mention how Stan Morgan dropped a TD pass vs. Colorado that would've won game one. Or how JD Spielman dropped a surefire TD vs. Ohio State in 2018 that would've made the difference. Or you fail to mention how he runs for 40 yards and puts his team in position to take the lead vs. Iowa but Benhart is flagged for a holding call behind the play as in it did nothing to spring Adrian whatsoever. And let's just gloss over the fact that Adrian didn't practice for 27 days prior to midweek of the Purdue game due to injury and was 75%.

Everytime I read your critique of Adrian its like stepping into the ramblings of a dude who doesn't understand a damn thing about Scott Frost's scheme. If anything, we should all be really happy Adrian hasn't transferred out. I would've thought about it after the 2019 season because Frost has done a really shitty job of adding skill talent. This is where Nebraska's overall receiver talent ranked in the Big Ten in 2020:

1. Ohio State
2. Penn State
3. Minnesota (before opt out)
4. Purdue
5. Indiana
6. Michigan
7. Iowa
8. Illinois
9. Maryland
10. Northwestern
11. Michigan State
12. Wisconsin
13. Nebraska
14. Rutgers

This is where it was in 2019:

1. Minnesota
2. Ohio State
3. Purdue
4. Michigan
5. Indiana
6. Penn State
7. Iowa
8. Wisconsin
9. Illinois
10. Nebraska
11. Michigan State
12. Maryland
13. Northwestern
14. Rutgers

Martinez doesn't need 10 elite players around him. But he does need receivers who would start for any other Big Ten Team. Often times in 2020, Nebraska had one dude who would classify as that man, Wandale. And the rest of the productive wideouts would've been nobodies for the rest of the league.

worst rated passer in the B1G both in a clean pocket and down field (20+ yards) for 2 years running, despite setting an NU record in completion percentage last year. - This isn't even remotely close to accurate.

- If you can't comprehend the hypocrisy in this statement, then you're too biased to hold a fair discussion. Does Iowa have a revolving door of skill players? Does Minnesota? What about Wisconsin? Hell, last year, Northwestern had 4 receivers with more than 30 career games under their belt. But the lack of continuity, that's all Adrian's fault when it involves Nebraska.

- That was a poor throw. And it went against the #1 pass defense in the country with two future 1st Round Draft choices in that secondary. Justin Fields vs. Ohio State - 11 for 27, 114 yards and 2 INTs, 0 TDs.

- I like you how you highlight some bad throws he's made, but you fail to mention how Stan Morgan dropped a TD pass vs. Colorado that would've won game one. Or how JD Spielman dropped a surefire TD vs. Ohio State in 2018 that would've made the difference. Or you fail to mention how he runs for 40 yards and puts his team in position to take the lead vs. Iowa but Benhart is flagged for a holding call behind the play as in it did nothing to spring Adrian whatsoever. And let's just gloss over the fact that Adrian didn't practice for 27 days prior to midweek of the Purdue game due to injury and was 75%.

Everytime I read your critique of Adrian its like stepping into the ramblings of a dude who doesn't understand a damn thing about Scott Frost's scheme. If anything, we should all be really happy Adrian hasn't transferred out. I would've thought about it after the 2019 season because Frost has done a really shitty job of adding skill talent. This is where Nebraska's overall receiver talent ranked in the Big Ten in 2020:

1. Ohio State
2. Penn State
4. Purdue
5. Indiana
6. Michigan
7. Iowa
8. Illinois
9. Maryland
10. Northwestern
11. Michigan State
12. Wisconsin
13. Nebraska
14. Rutgers

1. Minnesota
2. Ohio State
3. Purdue
4. Michigan
5. Indiana
6. Penn State
7. Iowa
8. Wisconsin
9. Illinois
10. Nebraska
11. Michigan State
12. Maryland
13. Northwestern
14. Rutgers
Based on what?

Doesn't is usually come down to these things? They are called mistakes and we make them in spades.

I will be convinced of our line play when I see it and to date, that has not happened. Especially on the O line, technique it king and our guys simply do not have it.
I remember a time on this board when Barney Cotton was tarred as the worst Oline coach in FBS. So bad he could on muster two top 10 and three top 20 finishes in rushing ypg. Generally, NU's centers were undersized, with mistakes and penalties making routine appearances, with one by Jake Cotton being particularly memorable.
It would seem that the difference between a legit rushing attack and a poorer one is having guys like Burkhead, Tommy, TMart, Helu, and AA on the roster.

1. Ohio State
2. Penn State
4. Purdue
5. Indiana
6. Michigan
7. Iowa
8. Illinois
9. Maryland
10. Northwestern
11. Michigan State
12. Wisconsin
13. Nebraska
14. Rutgers

1. Minnesota
2. Ohio State
3. Purdue
4. Michigan
5. Indiana
6. Penn State
7. Iowa
8. Wisconsin
9. Illinois
10. Nebraska
11. Michigan State
12. Maryland
13. Northwestern
14. Rutgers
not even remotely close to accurate?

here's a link that might interest you: Martinez is 14th-worst QB under pressure in the country in 2019, 19th-worst from a clean pocket. he then followed that up with another dead last finish in the conference in deep passer/clean pocket ranking.

wisc has had 3 different leading receivers the last 3 years. so has NW. their quarterbacks have little issue moving from 1 to the next.

I'm not sure how you're quantifying 'overall talent', and I agree Frost has done a piss poor job of getting good players on the field, but AM's complete and total inability to work with what he has points to one thing: he doesn't have IT.

good quarterbacks make others better. Adrian Martinez does not.

Last edited:
not even remotely close to accurate?

here's a link that might interest you: Martinez is 14th-worst QB under pressure in the country in 2019, 19th-worst from a clean pocket. he then followed that up with another dead last finish in the conference in deep passer/clean pocket ranking.

I'm not sure how you're quantifying 'overall talent', and I agree Frost has done a piss poor job of getting good players on the field, but AM's complete and total inability to work with what he has points to one thing: he doesn't have IT.

good quarterbacks make others better. Adrian Martinez does not.

Its not accurate because it comes from Pro Football Focus. Its an absolutely worthless metric for College Football.

• Haha
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Its not accurate because it comes from Pro Football Focus. Its an absolutely worthless metric for College Football.
oh, okay.

I guess we'll all take your word for it, then. he's a 'real QB' based on tons of unquantifiable fluff. ignore all the numbers and everything we see each Saturday he starts and we lose.

end of story. thanks for being so unbiased and willing to have a fair discussion 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

If they can make peace with dialing up the obvious, boring play call more often then this narrative makes sense. If they don't, it's an aimless drift even further away from having the players to properly run the plays he can't help but call.

The Rutgers game (minus Martinez fumbling on half the drives) is their blueprint for how to have offensive success. They figured out that Mills was their best weapon and they set him up for success by getting him a head of steam coming toward the line of scrimmage.

If they can make peace with dialing up the obvious, boring play call more often then this narrative makes sense. If they don't, it's an aimless drift even further away from having the players to properly run the plays he can't help but call.

The Rutgers game (minus Martinez fumbling on half the drives) is their blueprint for how to have offensive success. They figured out that Mills was their best weapon and they set him up for success by getting him a head of steam coming toward the line of scrimmage.
playing rutgers every week appears to be Moos'/Frost's wet dream

don't forget about the 2 picks our 'real QB' threw in that game, too!

As usual, the poor coaching is too little too late and a dollar short.

oh, okay.

I guess we'll all take your word for it, then. he's a 'real QB' based on tons of unquantifiable fluff. ignore all the numbers and everything we see each Saturday he starts and we lose.

end of story.

Other neat things from Pro Football Focus:

1. Ben Stille is 1st Team All Conference DL over Daviyon Nixon, the Big Ten Player of the Year.
2. Dylan Utter is the highest ranked offensive linemen at Nebraska of the last decade.
3. Dicaprio Bootle is a MUCH better Cornerback than Cam Taylor-Britt
4. Louisiana - Lafayette had a better offensive line than LSU and Alabama in 2019.
5. Western Kentucky had a better offensive line than Clemson.
6. Toledo had a better offensive line than 9 SEC teams and 8 Big Ten Teams.
7. Every team from the MAC, Conference USA, American, and all but one Sun Belt team had a better offensive line than Indiana.
8. Jack Heflin, a Grad Transfer DT at Iowa, was ranked higher than Daviyon Nixon from Iowa, again the obvious Big Ten Defensive Player of the year.
9. San Diego State, a MWC team with 6 games under the belt vs. other MW teams, had a better secondary than 12 SEC teams and 12 Big Ten Teams.
10. Oh.. and Luke McCaffery is a much better QB than Adrian Martinez.

Pro Football Focus does a terrific job at the pro level because every player in the NFL is already a pro. If a WR is facing a Corner in man coverage in the NFL, its valuable because two NFL guys are facing off.

At the College Level, its lunacy to try an evaluate production when talent is not even.

1. Ben Stille is 1st Team All Conference DL over Daviyon Nixon, the Big Ten Player of the Year.
2. Dylan Utter is the highest ranked offensive linemen at Nebraska of the last decade.
4. Louisiana - Lafayette had a better offensive line than LSU and Alabama in 2019.
7. Every team from the MAC, Conference USA, American, and all but one Sun Belt team had a better offensive line than Indiana.
8. Jack Heflin, a Grad Transfer DT at Iowa, was ranked higher than Daviyon Nixon from Iowa, again the obvious Big Ten Defensive Player of the year.
9. San Diego State, a MWC team with 6 games under the belt vs. other MW teams, had a better secondary than 12 SEC teams and 12 Big Ten Teams.

Pro Football Focus does a terrific job at the pro level because every player in the NFL is already a pro. If a WR is facing a Corner in man coverage in the NFL, its valuable because two NFL guys are facing off.

At the College Level, its lunacy to try an evaluate production when talent is not even.
Yikes. What NFL team does Utter start for again? 😆

Reactions: Cornicator
Martinez is not a competitive person, and most objective people can see that. I'm sure he will make a fine camp counselor or something, he is a nice guy after all, but he's not going to be the field general your team needs to step on the neck of your opponent week after week.

If I was coach, I would be so far past Martinez at this point, he would not be with the program. Scott though has a chip on his shoulder, and he is going to show us all.. come hell or high water.. he's gonna prove it to everyone.. even the NFL that HE IS A QB.. wait, that Martinez is.. sigh..

The reality is, the coach is not even close to being objective and is tanking the program he claims to love because of his own ghosts.

But hey, it's the offseason, so if's and buts yada yada yada...

Reactions: huntered
Martinez is not a competitive person, and most objective people can see that. I'm sure he will make a fine camp counselor or something, he is a nice guy after all, but he's not going to be the field general your team needs to step on the neck of your opponent week after week.

The reality is, the coach is not even close to being objective and is tanking the program he claims to love because of his own ghosts.

I want to give you credit as a troll, but I think you truly believe this horse shit.

There's definitely some truth to PFF not all BS, but you need to compare within conferences not across conferences , i.e. don't compare Sun Belt to SEC teams. PFF is going off purely stats, so maybe Daviyon was double teamed more than Stille.

There's definitely some truth to PFF not all BS, but you need to compare within conferences not across conferences , i.e. don't compare Sun Belt to SEC teams. PFF is going off purely stats, so maybe Daviyon was double teamed more than Stille.

I'm sure Daviyon was double teamed more than Stille. And I'm not even bringing up stats, but it was evident to every coach, media member, fan, and NFL scout that Daviyon Nixon was the most dominant defensive player in the Big Ten.

And I am really happy that Stille is coming back to Nebraska, don't get me wrong. But there is a reason Stille is coming back to college and Nixon is leaving early.

Reactions: IowaHuskr
I want to give you credit as a troll, but I think you truly believe this horse shit.
it's no sweat off my back.. I've been telling you of all this since AM's first year.. you should probably stick to your Colorado game analysis or maybe not.

Also, Taylor Martinez is autistic. I find it strange how elements of the NU fan base are able to say incredibly awful things about the players on the team, almost as if they have a personal dislike of someone they don't know and probably have never met.
When Adrian Martinez was surrounded by reasonable skill talent (not all world, but good), he was a freshman All-American and an honorable mention All-B1G.
Adrian Martinez 2018 - 57 ypg rushing & 237 ypg passing
Taylor Martinez 2012 - 73 ypg rushing & 205 ypg passing

1. Ohio State
2. Penn State
4. Purdue
5. Indiana
6. Michigan
7. Iowa
8. Illinois
9. Maryland
10. Northwestern
11. Michigan State
12. Wisconsin
13. Nebraska
14. Rutgers

1. Minnesota
2. Ohio State
3. Purdue
4. Michigan
5. Indiana
6. Penn State
7. Iowa
8. Wisconsin
9. Illinois
10. Nebraska
11. Michigan State
12. Maryland
13. Northwestern
14. Rutgers
Adrian isn't "the problem" with NU football but I'm a couple years removed from believing he's the solution. Fumbles being an oddly hard stat to find is a quirk that's VERY fortunate for Adrian Martinez.

It was clear enough that McCaffrey was a worse QB than Adrian even if is a much more willing runner.

They have been particularly good at ZERO offensive position groups the last two years. Their (lack of) all conference picks or draft picks will bear that out.

It's been like playing a slot machine to see if you can get each inconsistent position group to produce a good effort at the same time. Whoever you blame you won't be fully wrong or fully right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT