ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone's mind changed on

jarens

Jul 1, 2010
expanding the playoff? I used to think it needed to go to 8, but not so sure now. This year we saw only 3 teams were heads above the rest. And leaving it at four did give us a few pretty decent bowl matchups outside of the playoff.

Reactions: loper
If they expand to 8, there could be teams with two losses in the playoff. The great thing about college football always has been the fact that "every game counts" during the season. The season essentially is the playoff. I don't want to see two-loss teams getting lucky and winning a title.

The comments above about conference championship games is valid, though. Those games, sometimes featuring rematches from earlier in the season, can essentially eliminate one of two viable candidates out of the running. Conferences love them because they pull in big bucks, but I'm not sure they do anybody any benefit.

If they go to 8 then all power 5 conferences champions winning their CCG would all automatically qualify...

I used to favor 8, but based on the last few years its clear that 4 works 95% of the time without extending the season further. We've avoided the problem of having 3 undefeated teams with no shot (Notre Dame in 2018, Clemson in 2019) without further diluting the regular season. Oklahoma ended up getting massacred, but they were the most deserving of the remaining Power-5 teams.

Reactions: scarletred
expanding the playoff? I used to think it needed to go to 8, but not so sure now. This year we saw only 3 teams were heads above the rest. And leaving it at four did give us a few pretty decent bowl matchups outside of the playoff.
I have suggested this a few times. All conference go to 14 teams. I don't care if it is 5 or 6 conference. Every team plays every other team in Conf. So 13 conference games. Eliminate all non conference game (non conf games would be for bowl season). With every team playing every other team, this helps get rid of one team (IE MN) from getting an easy cross over schedule and walking to a 10 win season. It also helps determine a true conference champion, while making the season still matter. No need for a conference championship game. If 2 teams do end up with exact same record, then do a conf championship game.
Then go to a 8 team playoff. The winner of the 5 or 6 conference getting in. Then 2 or 3 at large teams getting in, voted on by coaches and AP. Take the old man committee out of it.

Last edited:
4 and re emphasize SOS. If you don’t get in quit scheduling f’n Samford

One of the worst things about the college football season is the fact that most games are meaningless. “Every game counts” is complete fallacy. The overwhelming majority of games don’t count for anything.

Conference championships carry a lot of weight in every other sport. I could get on board with a scenario that treats CCGs like the first round of the playoffs, and 5 conference champions advance to the quarterfinals. You could take a pool of non P5 conference champions and at large teams to play first round games with the winners rounding out the field of 8.

Eight has always made the most sense to me. Even with 4 teams, seems like very few of the games are competitive. Although the 1 seed will beat the 8 seed most of the time, there is a good chance there will be competitive games between the 4 and 5 seeds and the 3 and 6 seeds. Also the 7 seed might pull off an upset of the 2 seed and make things interesting.

Why? Wouldn't a conference championship game play a major part in determining those 8 teams?

Too be the devil advocate...Let’s say that one division team is 11-1 and the other is let’s say 8-4 and the other team in the division ends up 11-1..

The team that is 8-4 gets in because they won now who gets in the team that lost the CCG or the other team that seats at 11-1?

The reason is that there's a fairly a recent phenomenon that we have 1-3 elite teams that are so much better than even the 4-8 teams. The concentration of talent is off the charts at just a couple of schools. It could be that the easing up of transfer restrictions could change that somewhat, but we haven't seen evidence of that yet. As things stand, 4 is enough. I'm hoping talent gets diluted a bit to where 8 makes sense, but it just doesn't right now.

Why? Wouldn't a conference championship game play a major part in determining those 8 teams?
Because the goal should be to pick the X-best teams. Conference championship games will often help you make that determination, but shouldn't be an automatic qualifier.

Because the goal should be to pick the X-best teams. Conference championship games will often help you make that determination, but shouldn't be an automatic qualifier.

That is why the CCG won’t work if you go to 8 teams when the better record ends up losing in the CCG,they would end up out of the playoffs...

I've always thought they could have just used the 4 BCS bowl games and just use them for playoffs with those 4 bowl games being the initial round of the playoffs.

I've always thought they could have just used the 4 BCS bowl games and just use them for playoffs with those 4 bowl games being the initial round of the playoffs.

Which 4.. Because originality you have the Rose, Orange, Sugar, Cotton and Fiesta..

The Peach ended up with the arrival of the New Years 6...

It will expand and it will be better for it.

People don't want to see blowouts? Okay...but you know what you want to see...a 16 seed beating a 1. A 2 seed going down to the last play vs a 15 seed. A 10 seed making the final game after catching fire.

CBB tourney is amazing...the first two days of it is unreal.

It would be just like that for CFB...and we would watch.

And if they did it right, 8 games the first Saturday...just stagger the start times by 1 hour

It would be a day of booze, gambling and food...all day long.

It will expand and it will be better for it.

People don't want to see blowouts? Okay...but you know what you want to see...a 16 seed beating a 1. A 2 seed going down to the last play vs a 15 seed. A 10 seed making the final game after catching fire.

CBB tourney is amazing...the first two days of it is unreal.

It would be just like that for CFB...and we would watch.

And if they did it right, 8 games the first Saturday...just stagger the start times by 1 hour

It would be a day of booze, gambling and food...all day long.

Sorry but you can’t have a Basketball mentality when comparing it to Football..

Nobody thinks about what happens if a player or two gets hurt and then they can’t help their team play any further in the playoffs...

FBS isn’t the FCS..

Sorry but you can’t have a Basketball mentality when comparing it to Football..

Nobody thinks about what happens if a player or two gets hurt and then they can’t help their team play any further in the playoffs...

FBS isn’t the FCS..

Don't be sorry!

I think you can do it.

FBS does it and it works just fine...I think people try an pretend that the difference between the divisions is so much greater than it is...it isn't like everyone in the FCS is Rudy or Lucas (from the 80's movie, Lucas)...

And the NFL does it (Don't they? I always forget how many teams get in)

And HS does it...in fact...the only level that doesn't do it is the level that is supposed to have the very best players (not counting the NFL)

Don't be sorry!

I think you can do it.

FBS does it and it works just fine...I think people try an pretend that the difference between the divisions is so much greater than it is...it isn't like everyone in the FCS is Rudy or Lucas (from the 80's movie, Lucas)...

And the NFL does it (Don't they? I always forget how many teams get in)

And HS does it...in fact...the only level that doesn't do it is the level that is supposed to have the very best players (not counting the NFL)

You mean FCS.. The whole season is a playoff what is so hard to figure this out these kids aren’t in the NFL.. And the Bowl people still have a big say in all of this...

Here are my gripes with 8... There are some undesirable scenarios that could come of it, assuming the Conf Title Games stay in tact.

1. Take Ohio State and Wisconsin this season. It's possible the Buckeyes would have to beat Bucky THREE TIMES in one season to be named champs.
2. Take Ohio State/Michigan or Bama/Auburn from previous seasons. If both teams show up unbeaten and/or highly-ranked at the end of the year, it's a meaningless matchup. You could argue losing would be better, to give your team a bye-week for the playoffs since you're in win or lose, instead of battling for the conference title.
3. Similar to Point 2, there would be scenarios in different conferences, where losing a mid/late season game could allow you to miss the conf champ game and get in to playoff as wildcard, instead of losing the conf champ game and getting left out of playoff altogether.

Reactions: scarletred
You mean FCS.. The whole season is a playoff what is so hard to figure this out these kids aren’t in the NFL.. And the Bowl people still have a big say in all of this...

It isn't hard to figure out.

It would be 12 more teams than it is now...For all the teams but 8, they would be playing one extra game OR what would basically be their bowl game.

But you are right, the Bowl people still have a lot of power.

It isn't hard to figure out.

It would be 12 more teams than it is now...For all the teams but 8, they would be playing one extra game OR what would basically be their bowl game.

I don’t see your logic.. When a 16th ranked team has lost 3 games and didn’t win their division and yet you want them to play at game in Baton Rouge or Clemson or Columbus which they probably all ready lost doesn’t deserve too do so..

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I suggest leaving it as is for at least a bit longer. I really don't think we know enough yet or have seen a reason to expand just yet. Give it another 5 to 10 years. Or at least until the Huskers are in the top 10 but didn't make the final 4. Then it'll be time to scream!!Winking

I don’t see your logic.. When a 16th ranked team has lost 3 games and didn’t win their division and yet you want them to play at game in Baton Rouge or Clemson or Columbus which they probably all ready lost doesn’t deserve too do so..

Yeah...

I guess my question is this...would you watch those games? When the first round of the 16 team playoff starts...are you watching?

I am guessing most of us are putting it on or going out to watch at a bar or friends house.

Too be the devil advocate...Let’s say that one division team is 11-1 and the other is let’s say 8-4 and the other team in the division ends up 11-1..

The team that is 8-4 gets in because they won now who gets in the team that lost the CCG or the other team that seats at 11-1?
If it's a strong conference, they'd likely both get in with 8 teams. That's why they have the 3 at large bids. I'm not even someone who's big on conference play, but I know there's a large group who are and believe a conference championship should mean something. I don't really see much of a problem in your scenario.

The reason is that there's a fairly a recent phenomenon that we have 1-3 elite teams that are so much better than even the 4-8 teams. The concentration of talent is off the charts at just a couple of schools. It could be that the easing up of transfer restrictions could change that somewhat, but we haven't seen evidence of that yet. As things stand, 4 is enough. I'm hoping talent gets diluted a bit to where 8 makes sense, but it just doesn't right now.
It's not a recent phenomenon. It's always been that way where you have 1-3 elite teams at the top, then there's everyone else. That's why I was so against having a playoff in the first place. But if you're going to have a playoff, you might as well make it a real playoff and go with 8 teams.

That is why the CCG won’t work if you go to 8 teams when the better record ends up losing in the CCG,they would end up out of the playoffs...
If they lost the CCG but did really well during the season, they would still have a chance at one of the 3 at-large bids. A 4 team playoff has the same problem that if you lose your CCG, you're likely out of the playoff. Your argument actually seems to support having an 8 team playoff.

There are a number of teams that could have made things more interesting this last year. Oklahoma has been trash against good teams outside of the big 12. It really should be conference champs and 3 at large or something. Just to make for more opportunities for chaos.

Reactions: oldjar07
Here are my gripes with 8... There are some undesirable scenarios that could come of it, assuming the Conf Title Games stay in tact.

1. Take Ohio State and Wisconsin this season. It's possible the Buckeyes would have to beat Bucky THREE TIMES in one season to be named champs.
2. Take Ohio State/Michigan or Bama/Auburn from previous seasons. If both teams show up unbeaten and/or highly-ranked at the end of the year, it's a meaningless matchup. You could argue losing would be better, to give your team a bye-week for the playoffs since you're in win or lose, instead of battling for the conference title.
3. Similar to Point 2, there would be scenarios in different conferences, where losing a mid/late season game could allow you to miss the conf champ game and get in to playoff as wildcard, instead of losing the conf champ game and getting left out of playoff altogether.
Your issues are all rather minor and unlikely imo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT