ADVERTISEMENT

Hartzog

Ha, I wasn't even aware he was on the team until last night. Was he filling in because others were injured or those others benched?

They said they were going to give other guys chances. I'd say he took advantage of his.
He replaced Tommie Hill it seems. Hill has not been playing well at all to put it mildly. Great to see Busch evaluating his talent and playing the guys who have both athletic ability and a high football IQ. Tommie Hill does seem to have some physical ability, but his football IQ is lacking since he frequently seemed clueless in coverage.

Kid gets on the field as true freshman and makes plays. 5.5 3*.
He was on my radar as someone I thought could actually get a shot.
It boils down to guys who are just ballers.
He was described as someone under the radar in HS because of his size who is simply a gifted baller. We need more of those.
There was a back shoulder throw he got beat on, but I loved his well timed attempt to turn and find the ball, and I think he just didn’t see it or he may have been able to make a play.

I really appreciate Mickey clearly holding guys accountable right now which will ramp up the competition. The Purdy fumble happened, but I still supported Mickey benching Casey to get his head in the game. Something we begged for in the past.
Bernhart got pulled- although Anthony looked bad also. Just need to be serious about accountability, and MJ is.

He was described as someone under the radar in HS because of his size who is simply a gifted baller. We need more of those.
There was a back shoulder throw he got beat on, but I loved his well timed attempt to turn and find the ball, and I think he just didn’t see it or he may have been able to make a play.

I really appreciate Mickey clearly holding guys accountable right now which will ramp up the competition. The Purdy fumble happened, but I still supported Mickey benching Casey to get his head in the game. Something we begged for in the past.
Bernhart got pulled- although Anthony looked bad also. Just need to be serious about accountability, and MJ is.
Hartzog has started on ST's all year and we haven't heard a word about him but you thought he deserved a shot at DB? Hmmm

I watched Adam Carriker's reaction to the game and he had the exact opposite opinion of you on Anthony.

I saw a quote from Joseph about Hartzog that I didn't think was beneficial, someone asked about Hartzog and Jospeh made a comment about him being from the south like that was something special. What does where they are from have to do with anything?

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Hartzog has started on ST's all year and we haven't heard a word about him but you thought he deserved a shot at DB? Hmmm

I watched Adam Carriker's reaction to the game and he had the exact opposite opinion of you on Anthony.

I saw a quote from Joseph about Hartzog that I didn't think was beneficial, someone asked about Hartzog and Jospeh made a comment about him being from the south like that was something special. What does where they are from have to do with anything?
I didn’t know if he deserved a shot, but was just curious if he’d get in the mix. It boils down to guys who have been here who are not making the jump for playing time and MJ stating they were looking at some new guys to give an opportunity.
If he was playing on ST as a true frosh, then he’s already doing something right.

Let's hope Harzog can keep it up. Off to a good start.
He’s still a true frosh, and your team is not in a great situation anytime you’re playing a true frosh at DB.
I like that the competition gets ramped up though. If Hill thinks he can do better, he’s gotta prove it.
B. Clark, T. Lynum, D. Moore, etc. Who wants it the most?

He’s still a true frosh, and your team is not in a great situation anytime you’re playing a true frosh at DB.
I like that the competition gets ramped up though. If Hill thinks he can do better, he’s gotta prove it.
B. Clark, T. Lynum, D. Moore, etc. Who wants it the most?
Ralph Brown played as a true freshman and did well. Of course, he was surrounded by tons of defensive talent. But it can be done with the right athlete.

kid's fun to watch

anything that keeps tommi hill on the sidelines is good for the D
At a glance, it just looks like the kid understands the game. Wish we had more like him.
I know Buford has gotten some praise, especially for being smart and savvy (preseason and during), but he always looks lost out there to me. Good athlete maybe, but lost all the f-ing time. Between him and Farmer, our safety play remains a liability.

It is a great thing giving kids a shot. You might find a kid on fire or you might light a fire under the half-assing-it starter. Benching Casey, Benhart, and others were the right decisions.

Didn’t Anthony start some games at OSU, who have been consistently ranked in the past 5 years? How is he suddenly not good enough to start for us?

Reactions: headcard

That's were the main talent is. That's why it matters.

Southern schools have owned college football the last 14 years.

I would guess MJ was referring to the overall football competition being better in the south (more kids, don’t some HS in the south have spring football practices?).

Didn’t Anthony start some games at OSU, who have been consistently ranked in the past 5 years? How is he suddenly not good enough to start for us?
He got passed up at OSU, the reason for his transfer. I vaguely remember he may have started only due to another player injury but I’m not certain.
Honestly, if he were very good he would have been playing before yesterday. Benhart has set the bar pretty low.

Reactions: WHCSC

Disagree. For a true Freshman he did well. Mistakes are gonna happen, but hopefully he keeps improving. Little bit of a rush d liability.

Fake news, we can’t get recruits like that here 😁

Ya...the myth that Osborne won with lower ranked recruits and walk ons was just that ... a myth

Did they have a place? Yes

But when he was winning MNC he was recruiting at an insane level...he was, for the most part selecting and not recruiting

He replaced Tommie Hill it seems. Hill has not been playing well at all to put it mildly. Great to see Busch evaluating his talent and playing the guys who have both athletic ability and a high football IQ. Tommie Hill does seem to have some physical ability, but his football IQ is lacking since he frequently seemed clueless in coverage.
And seemed to have attitude issues.

Disagree. For a true Freshman he did well. Mistakes are gonna happen, but hopefully he keeps improving. Little bit of a rush d liability.
Where did I say he didn't do well. It was the comments that he deserved a shot, based on what? Few had even heard of the kid. Anthony was hailed by Carriker.

I'm going to guess that what MJ meant is that the kid comes from the SEC talent pool down south. Recruiting this talent pool is crucial to a lot of teams' success, including ours.

The deep south, is where a very large percentage of the black population still lives, most of whom are descendents of slavery, which took the best physical specimens out of Africa.

You basically have a subset group of people now with high degrees of athletic ability producing offspring for several generations, and sure you can find talent in other areas, but not nearly as concentrated as it is in the SEC.

So in my opinion, I took that quote to mean that the kid comes from that talent pool, which is by definition kind of special.

• Wow
Reactions: Bold Words
I'm going to guess that what MJ meant is that the kid comes from the SEC talent pool down south. Recruiting this talent pool is crucial to a lot of teams' success, including ours.

The deep south, is where a very large percentage of the black population still lives, most of whom are descendents of slavery, which took the best physical specimens out of Africa.

You basically have a subset group of people now with high degrees of athletic ability producing offspring for several generations, and sure you can find talent in other areas, but not nearly as concentrated as it is in the SEC.

So in my opinion, I took that quote to mean that the kid comes from that talent pool, which is by definition kind of special.
Is this serious?

You do know how the slave trade was propagated don't you? No one went in and selected anyone. The warring tribes would conquer another tribe and take them to the coast and sell them thus eliminating competition.

Is this serious?

You do know how the slave trade was propagated don't you? No one went in and selected anyone. The warring tribes would conquer another tribe and take them to the coast and sell them thus eliminating competition.
no, I didn't know the details about warring tribes.. never heard about that story

what else explains all the talent in the deep south.. you mean you don't think that exists or I guess how do you explain it?

Yup these are the kind of things you find on the Nebraska board when there isn’t a coach to complain about any more woof some of y’all would get smacked if you lived somewhere that you had to interact with people who didn’t look like yourself lol

Wow. Just wow. Jimmy the Greek got fired for asserting this bullshit in an interview. It is complete nonsense.

Reactions: Anegada1
Wow. Just wow. Jimmy the Greek got fired for asserting this bullshit in an interview. It is complete nonsense.
really? I thought this was common knowledge.. why would someone get fired for saying this? is it really insensitive? If it is, I apologize, but I don't see anything insensitive about it.

So maybe someone can explain why else the 'deep south' is such a good recruiting talent pool?

Nobody can explain it? or wants to? or is afraid to apparently..

Yikes, your takes are getting worse, maybe take a break.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT