ADVERTISEMENT

Harbaugh takes aim at Riley

In Greek Life this is "dirty rushing"...you are not supposed to do it but everyone does it...

It's like saying, "Nebraska's colors don't include red." If I were that kid, I probably would've kicked him out of the house.

Reactions: jsachisler
Hard to look at Michigan's tight end production with Butt and Nebraska's production with Carter and not see why Harbaugh would make that claim. There are no polite rules of engagement in business or when trying to land a recruit. It's your job to make the pitch that you believe will be most effective both short-term and long term.

That's why it's called a pitch. Why should you pick me over my competition?

Jim has to resort to this stuff now that he and his old coach are on an even playing field when it comes to recruiting. When they were at OSU and Stanford Harbaugh had a big advantage and he beat Riley on recruits all the time. Then last year happened and we held onto Neal and Snyder, Jim Harbaugh does not like to lose and I have a feeling he thinks he is going to lose to his old coach yet again.

So he chose to use his in-home to ask "What did they say about me?" Also, he wanted to talk about how Nebraska uses their tight ends. Why not focus on how Michigan uses theirs? What a tool.

Hard to look at Michigan's tight end production with Butt and Nebraska's production with Carter and not see why Harbaugh would make that claim. There are no polite rules of engagement in business or when trying to land a recruit. It's your job to make the pitch that you believe will be most effective both short-term and long term.

That's why it's called a pitch. Why should you pick me over my competition?

Oh yeah?

Are you talking about the 14 yards per catch and 3 TD's in 11 games for Cethan Carter?
Ore you talking about the 12 yards per catch and 3 TD's in 13 games for Jake Butt?

Were you talking about the 4 total TD's for Michigan Tight ends who were healthy all season?
Or were you talking about the 4 total TD's for Nebraska tight ends whom basically had Cethan Carter for the conference season, David Sutton for 4 games, Foster for 5 games, and Cotton a glorified blocking dummy?

Michigan was able to use Butt more in the offense early because he was experienced option in a pro style scheme. Rudock also needed an outlet because he struggled to throw the ball downfield.

Nebraska will get their Tight ends in space more and allow them opportunities in play action to make big plays. The tight ends will even be able to run the ball occasionally with Nebraska.

So he chose to use his in-home to ask "What did they say about me?" Also, he wanted to talk about how Nebraska uses their tight ends. Why not focus on how Michigan uses theirs? What a tool.

I'm not sure I want to know how Harbaugh uses Tight Ends during his sleepovers.

Reactions: headcard
Oh yeah?

Are you talking about the 14 yards per catch and 3 TD's in 11 games for Cethan Carter?
Ore you talking about the 12 yards per catch and 3 TD's in 13 games for Jake Butt?

Were you talking about the 4 total TD's for Michigan Tight ends who were healthy all season?
Or were you talking about the 4 total TD's for Nebraska tight ends whom basically had Cethan Carter for the conference season, David Sutton for 4 games, Foster for 5 games, and Cotton a glorified blocking dummy?

Michigan was able to use Butt more in the offense early because he was experienced option in a pro style scheme. Rudock also needed an outlet because he struggled to throw the ball downfield.

Nebraska will get their Tight ends in space more and allow them opportunities in play action to make big plays. The tight ends will even be able to run the ball occasionally with Nebraska.

I agree with you, but Harbaugh isn't lying either, he's just reporting half truths to this kid. Butt had a ton more targets, receptions, and yards than Carter. He basically doubled Cethan's numbers. And as you stated, the other husker TE's were non-factors. All other husker TE's had a total of 4 catches and 44 yds total.

However, here is the spin, look at Carter's production. It goes way up at the end of the year. Look at the last 2 regular season games, Iowa & Rutgers. Carter was basically the MVP of the Rutgers game & had a really nice game against Iowa. When Cethan started to get the offense down, his production went way up and he became a very big part of the game plan. Mike wants to use TE's but he has to have the guys to do this. Carter is there but we really currently don't have a second option at this time. Maybe Snyder will turn into a good one. But there is currently no depth at TE and was not last year. The old staff stopped using TE's really after Reed & Cotton left and weren't really recruiting TEs anymore (or at least receiving ones). Last years #'s wont support Riley's argument here but stats don't tell the future, only the past. I expect next year Carter is a large part of the game plan all season long.

This kid can go to UM where they depth at TE is a ton or come to NU where we only have 1 proven guy.

Oh yeah?

Easy killer. I simply said that it shouldn't come as a surprise that someone would use that comparison in their pitch.

I also appreciate that you ignored the other statistics. Butt 51 catches for 654 yards. Carter 24 catches for 329 yards. You can't cherry pick stats that make your case.

Now don't get me wrong, I believe Riley wants to utilize the TE more but the numbers I just provided would suggest that Harbaugh has a case when recruiting a TE over Nebraska.

I really must be missing something. What did Harbaugh actually say? Did he say negative things about Nebraska? The reporter quoted the kid as saying he wanted to "debunk" what Nebraska said. We don't know what Nebraska said nor do we know what Harbaugh said if I am reading this all correctly. So what is to get the panties all in a wad about? If Harbaugh said things and Riley corrected them from his perspective then he would be "debunking" as well. It is all part of the process and someone is writing to get a rise, create problems and get us to read drivel like this. It worked

I really must be missing something. What did Harbaugh actually say? Did he say negative things about Nebraska? The reporter quoted the kid as saying he wanted to "debunk" what Nebraska said. We don't know what Nebraska said nor do we know what Harbaugh said if I am reading this all correctly. So what is to get the panties all in a wad about? If Harbaugh said things and Riley corrected them from his perspective then he would be "debunking" as well. It is all part of the process and someone is writing to get a rise, create problems and get us to read drivel like this. It worked
No worries. As many posters here have stated: recruiting is a dirty business. I just wish we would stop being so "Nebraska Nice," and actually make an attempt at being a good team. Which is to say, first and foremost, a good recruiting team.

Ol' field of dreams guy may not be "lmao"-ing 6 days from now.

Article says:
"He just talked about how tight ends are (actually) used in (Nebraska's) offense," he said. "He wanted to hear all about what Nebraska told me."

To me, it sounds as if he is telling the recruit how the Huskers use their tight ends and that whatever the Huskers told him are not exactly correct.

I bet there are much worse things said during recruiting visits and this is basically nothing, but it at least gives people a glimpse of how recruiting works (with some coaches) and that some stories that people hear probably have more truth than falsehood.

Easy killer. I simply said that it shouldn't come as a surprise that someone would use that comparison in their pitch.

I also appreciate that you ignored the other statistics. Butt 51 catches for 654 yards. Carter 24 catches for 329 yards. You can't cherry pick stats that make your case.

Now don't get me wrong, I believe Riley wants to utilize the TE more but the numbers I just provided would suggest that Harbaugh has a case when recruiting a TE over Nebraska.
You should add that Michigan's "backup" TEs combined for more catches then NU's starter.

Article says:
"He just talked about how tight ends are (actually) used in (Nebraska's) offense," he said. "He wanted to hear all about what Nebraska told me."

To me, it sounds as if he is telling the recruit how the Huskers use their tight ends and that whatever the Huskers told him are not exactly correct.

I bet there are much worse things said during recruiting visits and this is basically nothing, but it at least gives people a glimpse of how recruiting works (with some coaches) and that some stories that people hear probably have more truth than falsehood.
FWIW...we had a TE recruit, last year, who was convinced to go to another school because they promised to change the O for his talents. They promised to because the year before they LITERALLY had ZERO receptions by TEs the year before...ZERO. Kid has already left that program (to be fair the kid was never considered the most stable kid).

Or maybe its a clue that Allen commited. Didn't he say Thursday or Friday it would come out? I hope so anyhow haha

ADVERTISEMENT