ADVERTISEMENT

Harbaugh hires Don brown for DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnohomishRed

Offensive Coordinator
Jan 31, 2005
Snohomish
A little old news but note worthy anyway. I believe this move will put MIchigan over Ohio State in the next year or two.

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2015/12/jim_harbaugh_explains_how_he_f.html

This is an example of why harbaugh wins - he looks at things objectively and tries to hire people who give his team a better chance of winning. relationships and past history do not matter. I brought this guys name up when there was a discussion on here some months ago about who would be a top flight DC that we could throw money at and get to come here. I was told he would never move which obvipously now appears to be wrong

This guy will have Michigans defense running around causing all sorts of havoc

people pick up the phone when Michigan and Harbaugh are on the other line

that is not always the case with Nebraska

people pick up the phone when Michigan and Harbaugh are on the other line

that is not always the case with Nebraska
I think that is the problem we are having as a program - we think too little of ourselves.

• Why try and get a top assistant they wont come here
  • We will never be able to recruit consistently in the top ten because NE is a small state
  • There is no reason a top flight coach would come here
This program has lost before they even try, instead trying we settle

Don Brown was the last coach to take Massachusetts to the I-AA national championship game. (Northeastern fans still bitter that UMass "stole" him) Wish he had been there for the I-A transition - the program went into decay after he left.

A little old news but note worthy anyway. I believe this move will put MIchigan over Ohio State in the next year or two.

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2015/12/jim_harbaugh_explains_how_he_f.html

This is an example of why harbaugh wins - he looks at things objectively and tries to hire people who give his team a better chance of winning. relationships and past history do not matter. I brought this guys name up when there was a discussion on here some months ago about who would be a top flight DC that we could throw money at and get to come here. I was told he would never move which obvipously now appears to be wrong

In the "Alabama 5 Stars" thread, you made mention that Riley would never fire his staff. Shortly after your post, Riley fired Hughes. Your spin for this was that Hughes wasn't a "Riley Guy". Please understand that this is in no way a personal attack, but I feel like you're mind is made up about Riley and company. I would go so far as to say that there isn't a candidate that Riley can hire to replace Hughes that you won't find fault with. Some other things I feel like we need to revisit regarding the University of Nebraska-Lincoln:

- Please note that we do not "throw money" at anything, compared to other universities. We have not in the past, and there is no precedent for us to change that going forward. If you are expecting us to toss tons of money and spare no expense, you are in for more disappointment.

- Please also understand that, due to the financial and cultural importance, it is unlikely that there will ever be a disinterested or low level of support from the Athletic Department for Nebraska Football. Insinuating that the Athletic Department now has a "why even try?" mentality is disingenuous.

Where we disagree is that I don't feel like enough time has passed to exit the Riley bandwagon (although you may never have been on it). Full disclosure: I supported Pelini wholeheartedly for a long time - until it was time to stop. With Callahan, I did the same. I urge you to look to the future with optimism. At worst, the coaching cycle will refresh and we'll try again if Riley isn't the answer.

In the "Alabama 5 Stars" thread, you made mention that Riley would never fire his staff. Shortly after your post, Riley fired Hughes. Your spin for this was that Hughes wasn't a "Riley Guy". Please understand that this is in no way a personal attack, but I feel like you're mind is made up about Riley and company. I would go so far as to say that there isn't a candidate that Riley can hire to replace Hughes that you won't find fault with. Some other things I feel like we need to revisit regarding the University of Nebraska-Lincoln:

- Please note that we do not "throw money" at anything, compared to other universities. We have not in the past, and there is no precedent for us to change that going forward. If you are expecting us to toss tons of money and spare no expense, you are in for more disappointment.

- Please also understand that, due to the financial and cultural importance, it is unlikely that there will ever be a disinterested or low level of support from the Athletic Department for Nebraska Football. Insinuating that the Athletic Department now has a "why even try?" mentality is disingenuous.

Where we disagree is that I don't feel like enough time has passed to exit the Riley bandwagon (although you may never have been on it). Full disclosure: I supported Pelini wholeheartedly for a long time - until it was time to stop. With Callahan, I did the same. I urge you to look to the future with optimism. At worst, the coaching cycle will refresh and we'll try again if Riley isn't the answer.
There has never been this amount of money to throw around - With the current and upcoming TV contracts in the Big10 and Nu getting a full share there is more cash than ever before. I think this is starting to manifest itself in assistant salaries - top proven coordinators are going to be making what head coaches made just a few short years ago. I have not made up my mind on Riley but I very skeptical at this point. I want to be rpoven wrong and eat crow but hoenstly what I have seen so far is less than inspiring. Almost every single fan on here I believe has the same concerns, however many of these people wnats so much to believe they are all aboard with Riley despite there has been very little to indicate at this point he is the guy to lead us to titles

There has never been this amount of money to throw around - With the current and upcoming TV contracts in the Big10 and Nu getting a full share there is more cash than ever before. I think this is starting to manifest itself in assistant salaries - top proven coordinators are going to be making what head coaches made just a few short years ago. I have not made up my mind on Riley but I very skeptical at this point. I want to be rpoven wrong and eat crow but hoenstly what I have seen so far is less than inspiring. Almost every single fan on here I believe has the same concerns, however many of these people wnats so much to believe they are all aboard with Riley despite there has been very little to indicate at this point he is the guy to lead us to titles

People differ on timing. I do not personally believe that Mike Riley will win a national title here. But I don't personally believe he is going to coach long enough to make a serious run. I don't believe he's going to die in office, he's got too much respect for life to sit around and let us bludgeon him into his 70s.

So in the next 5 years or so I do think its reasonable that Mike Riley plays for and even wins a conference championship. Of course, we have the same puncher's chance that everyone else has that plays in conference title game to get to the national title game, but I don't think NU is going to be the favorite in the next few years, regardless of who is coaching. My guess is that Riley sets the table for the next guy and hopefully gets us a B1G ring on the way.

But I kind of count myself in Damon Benning's corner, he had once opined that before we become NU of the 90's again (if that ever happens), we need to become NU of the 80's again, where we were in the conference title discussion every year and working to tweak on taking down the really big games.

We're not going from zero to hero in 10 mins, I just don't think some of the "haters" seem to realize that. The lack of immediate "bama-ness" frustrates them.

I think that is the problem we are having as a program - we think too little of ourselves.

• Why try and get a top assistant they wont come here
  • We will never be able to recruit consistently in the top ten because NE is a small state
  • There is no reason a top flight coach would come here
This program has lost before they even try, instead trying we settle

Apparently we called Kevin Steele, a man with strong Husker ties. And an ace recruiter in the SEC now. And his buddy over at FSU that helped recruit guys like Winston as recruiting coordinator.

They said no. Steele has since moved to another Southern school.

Perhaps its a little less than myth that not everyone centers their career around bringing NU back.

I would have loved to have had Chad Morris back when Pelini was shopping coaches, and Brown would have been fine too. I don't think our primary problem on the defensive side of the ball has been scheme.

Banker and Narduzzi finished the same relative ratings across a number of defensive stats in first years at new schools with less than ideal talent. This would tell me that the master and the apprentice, if you want to label them that, aren't doing things tremendously differently. I would also note that MSU with their shiny Top 5 rating and new players in their defensive secondary, netted numbers that were worse the NU's at the time (actually I don't quite remember, we were better in pass, they were better than run or vice versa, but basically in both phases of the game were were a couple spots different in rankings). If you can imagine that.

Well he better, they were already a Top 10 defense I believe.

You are absolutely right it appears to have been an Iowa fan - I do think he is going to be very successful at Michigan
Are you "pounding sand" right now? If so, what is that like? I have never tried to pound sand. I also have never tried to go fly a kite upon request. I once buried my head in the sand because someone told me to do it. Turns out, i couldn't breath in there!

I misread the title. I was waiting for some punchline when I opened the post.
tumblr_maqo9oPxUZ1qzytg1.jpg

Nobody tells anybody to go play in the street anymore.

I don't even know what go fly a kite means.
I think I understand go pound sand.
And I'm pretty sure burying your head in the sand has something to with ostriches, but I can't be sure because I don't think I've ever seen one do it.

Reactions: OkeyDokeyNU
You must be 18 and have a distorted view of age! There are several coaches over 70 and a guy @75 running for president.
I agree with you though Brown's age did play into the decision (not the main reason but a consideration). Harbaugh is pretty outspoken in talking up his assistants for advancement even knowing 9 out of 10 times that opportunity will be at another place. However, he isnt happy replacing guys each year and wants them to put in some time first.

Harbaugh lost his DC to a HC job after year one. Unless things turn south with the O he is going to lose his OC sooner than later...maybe as soon as after next season. Apparently his first call for the then open DC job was to Stanford's DC who has already been mentioned for HC openings. He asked him for a guarantee of 2 years before considering HC positions. The Stanford guy said no and then Harbaugh turned to Brown. Again age wasn't the reason but age apparently made it a no brainer for Harbaugh. He felt Brown was a guy who would stick around long enough (more than 1 or 2 years) to help him win a NC.

So because of his age Harbaugh is not concerned the guy is not going to be considered for (another) HC position. But to your point, at his age Harbaugh doesn't expect him to be there just 1 or 2 years or he wouldn't of hired him.

He hasn't made up his mind, but I don't think he's made any positive comments either. The most decisive undecided voter ever.
I have made some positive comments, I wish I was more positive actually but I want a real reason to be positive instead of blindly just believing - I am waiting for Riley and staff to show they are the right to guys to run this ship. What I find curious is that most ae not on the same page as I am. Here is a coach with assistants who was in trouble at OSU, he came in here in large part to protect these assistants. All this talk of one last challenge and stuff is pure smoke. I feel that these assistant coaches especially need to prove the critics wrong and show they can perform, just because NU hored them does not validate their performance level. The first year however was a disaster and we just lost some key components to next year so yes I worried NU has never in my lifetime had two losing seasons in a row

Are you "pounding sand" right now? If so, what is that like? I have never tried to pound sand. I also have never tried to go fly a kite upon request. I once buried my head in the sand because someone told me to do it. Turns out, i couldn't breath in there!

You have also never owned a mistake...

You must be 18 and have a distorted view of age! There are several coaches over 70 and a guy @75 running for president.

It was sarcasm, he's mocking the Riley haters that use age against him, @planored is one of the good guys.

I have made some positive comments, I wish I was more positive actually but I want a real reason to be positive instead of blindly just believing - I am waiting for Riley and staff to show they are the right to guys to run this ship. What I find curious is that most ae not on the same page as I am. Here is a coach with assistants who was in trouble at OSU, he came in here in large part to protect these assistants. All this talk of one last challenge and stuff is pure smoke. I feel that these assistant coaches especially need to prove the critics wrong and show they can perform, just because NU hored them does not validate their performance level. The first year however was a disaster and we just lost some key components to next year so yes I worried NU has never in my lifetime had two losing seasons in a row

i agree, we should not be horing people. Your posts are annoying and repetitive.

I have made some positive comments, I wish I was more positive actually but I want a real reason to be positive instead of blindly just believing - I am waiting for Riley and staff to show they are the right to guys to run this ship. What I find curious is that most ae not on the same page as I am. Here is a coach with assistants who was in trouble at OSU, he came in here in large part to protect these assistants. All this talk of one last challenge and stuff is pure smoke. I feel that these assistant coaches especially need to prove the critics wrong and show they can perform, just because NU hored them does not validate their performance level. The first year however was a disaster and we just lost some key components to next year so yes I worried NU has never in my lifetime had two losing seasons in a row[/QUOTE]

I believe this is what we call "entitled fan".

Men of your generation generally had fathers who issued the following sage advice - "rub some dirt on it son, and get back out there"

Define the first bolded section. If this is only "winning and winning big early" then no, they are not the right crew. You can stop waffling and just come out against, as you always have been.

As to the second bolded section, you basically are calling Riley a liar. For all his mediocre win percentage, the one thing few can agree on is that he's a great guy that is upfront with people. For you to insinuate otherwise is pretty much just slander, based on the fact you wanted a bigger splash hire and now you have nothing nice to say.

His assistants don't really have to prove anything. Most all of them have had bigger jobs than they held at NU with probably the exception of Bray, and there's certainly no performance that needs validated there. And maybe Williams, but again, he's already proven his worth.

In case you are wondering, new staffs everywhere are pretty much all staffs that were in trouble somewhere else, coaching is 99% retreads.

Define the first bolded section. If this is only "winning and winning big early" then no, they are not the right crew. You can stop waffling and just come out against, as you always have been.

As to the second bolded section, you basically are calling Riley a liar. For all his mediocre win percentage, the one thing few can agree on is that he's a great guy that is upfront with people. For you to insinuate otherwise is pretty much just slander, based on the fact you wanted a bigger splash hire and now you have nothing nice to say.

His assistants don't really have to prove anything. Most all of them have had bigger jobs than they held at NU with probably the exception of Bray, and there's certainly no performance that needs validated there. And maybe Williams, but again, he's already proven his worth.

In case you are wondering, new staffs everywhere are pretty much all staffs that were in trouble somewhere else, coaching is 99% retreads.
He has posted the same tired SH## now for at least 6 months over and over and over again. For some reason he thinks that all the posters and recruits reading this board haven't read his opinion of Riley.

He has posted the same tired SH## now for at least 6 months over and over and over again. For some reason he thinks that all the posters and recruits reading this board haven't read his opinion of Riley.
Listen farmer Bob - I am a little tired of your crap over and over again - You have some kind of mental issue that causes you to believe your vast experience makes you "The super Fan"

If you do not like my posts put me on ignore that solves but I am a little tired of your stalkish behavior and that goes for HTO who if he is anything like his posts is clearly one of the worst people you would ever meet

Listen farmer Bob - I am a little tired of your crap over and over again - You have some kind of mental issue that causes you to believe your vast experience makes you "The super Fan"

If you do not like my posts put me on ignore that solves but I am a little tired of your stalkish behavior and that goes for HTO who if he is anything like his posts is clearly one of the worst people you would ever meet
"Stalkish"? RollingLaughJust tired of you posting the same crap about Riley over and over and over again. The SAME damned opinion stated a hundred times is probably enough already. We get it. You don't like Riley. Sounds like you need to visit your favorite bakery and get some of those "special" brownies you're so proud of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT