ADVERTISEMENT

Happy for the Big Ten

MFarrell

College Football Hall of Fame
Staff
Jan 2, 2001
That they won’t get shut out of the playoff (most likely) because of their stupidity. But doesn’t this frost your muffins? What the hell? Nebraska wants to play and/or change the rule and they should shut up. Buckeyes want to and OF COURSE WE WILL!

That they won’t get shut out of the playoff (most likely) because of their stupidity. But doesn’t this frost your muffins? What the hell? Nebraska wants to play and/or change the rule and they should shut up. Buckeyes want to and OF COURSE WE WILL!
What is happening, I haven't read any of the other threads on this topic.

When did they change the rule?

Yes, I'm for helping OSU make it to the playoffs by changing the championship game rules. I doubt though the rules would have been changed for ANY other B1G team, only OSU gets that kind of special handling.

BUT I also am totally appalled by the nasty reception Nebraska got when we just wanted to play a football game with another opponent after Wisconsin cancelled. The horrible treatment given to Nebraska by the B1G and national sports pundits for simply wanting to play was totally uncalled for. The B1G and Warren need to issue an apology to Nebraska for that treatment.

Warren needs to be fired IMO. While it was officially decided by a vote of the AD's, Warren clearly is responsible for managing the overall process. He should be an advocate for fairness to all teams and he's failed miserably in that responsibility.

I get it. NU, Coach Frost and Bill Moos were right all along. the hypocrisy of the B1G is beyond evident.

however, I do not oppose the changing of arbitrary rules to appease the biggest fish in the pond. if NU was repeatedly representing the conference in the playoff like ohio does, I have all the faith in the world we'd receive the same preferential treatment.

I get it. NU, Coach Frost and Bill Moos were right all along. the hypocrisy of the B1G is beyond evident.

however, I do not oppose the changing of arbitrary rules to appease the biggest fish in the pond. if NU was repeatedly representing the conference in the playoff like ohio does, I have all the faith in the world we'd receive the same preferential treatment.
We would not. But I do support this, because it is the right thing to do. It's time for the B1G to stop compounding stupid decision, with more stupid decisions.

Going to be an interesting day when they announce canceling all the remainder of the crossover matchups on December 18/19th. Optics of that will be horrible but I’m sure a vocal minority of schools will all chime in to tell us how the Commissioner’s office has such a hard job to do and has the health and safety of student athlete as the first priority. Meanwhile on the hardwood..........

I think that it clearly shows that a team at the bottom of the league will not get preferential treatment .

Nebraska is not the sexist football team around anymore , we need to get used to that.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Aside from the money we'll be getting, (Explicit) everything about this conference. Their arrogance is second to none and if we weren't in this, I'd wish for it to implode.
it's not going to change anytime soon.. so Nebraska fans better get used to getting the shaft. it's what the admin chose when it could have gotten out, but they wanted the grant money, so now NU will be treated like the whore it is.

Reactions: CatColumbia
over the last 5 basketball seasons and the last 3 football seasons ...

I believe Nebraska and Rutgers are the only schools in the conference to have zero NCAA tourney bids and zero bowl trips

Rutgers was going to get an NCAA tourney birth last year and are currently ranked in basketball

you can make a pretty strong case that based on the 2 major sports, Nebraska athletics rank dead last in the conference and among the worst in all of power 5 sports

the conference does not set rules or reconsider rules based on what the worst programs in the conference desire

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: The_Glove_Man

I believe Nebraska and Rutgers are the only schools in the conference to have zero NCAA tourney bids and zero bowl trips

Rutgers was going to get an NCAA tourney birth last year and are currently ranked in basketball

you can make a pretty strong case that based on the 2 major sports, Nebraska athletics ranks dead last in the conference and among the worst in all of power 5 sports

the conference does not set rules or reconsider rules based on what the worst programs in the conference desire
That's not how "rules" work. But don't let that get in the way of your trolling.

We would not. But I do support this, because it is the right thing to do. It's time for the B1G to stop compounding stupid decision, with more stupid decisions.

You would at least from OSU perspective, we even supported you playing OOC games. It's a shame idiots run this conference, things would be a lot better if OSU actually did control things.

Reactions: headcard
I’m all for getting a share of the playoff money, but part of me wants to watch the Big 10 leadership get blasted and eat their crow too.

They are essentially giving the championship to OSU on a silver platter and telling everyone to fall in line so the Big 10 can be represented in the CFP. I imagine that Indiana is pretty upset, and rightfully so, but why should Northwestern even bother showing up in Indy to face OSU. Game is already decided, might as well save the embarrassment. Leave the fate of Ohio St up to the CFP committee with a 5-0 record.

It's worth a net of about 2 million. Split 14 ways
I’m all for getting a share of the playoff money, but part of me wants to watch the Big 10 leadership get blasted and eat their crow too.

They are essentially giving the championship to OSU on a silver platter and telling everyone to fall in line so the Big 10 can be represented in the CFP. I imagine that Indiana is pretty upset, and rightfully so, but why should Northwestern even bother showing up in Indy to face OSU. Game is already decided, might as well save the embarrassment. Leave the fate of Ohio St up to the CFP committee with a 5-0 record.

How is OSU being given a championship on a platter? They are the only undefeated team in the conference. If OSU and Indiana both had 1 loss and didn't play each other then there would be an argument. But Indiana's game is canceled this week, if they want another shot at the king, come take it this saturday at noon, it will be a nationally televised game.

Rules are rules no matter who you are! If rules are set at the beginning before a single games is played and already enforced once, then the rule need to be enforced the rest of the way whether you're at the top, or at the bottom.
One of our the reasons for the start of our decline at the onset of the Big 12 was rule changes that benefited the others and but limited us. Also our identity was taken by limiting our games with OU and also by aligning us in the north division playing lesser competition.
Just give us fair and even playing field and let the rest sort itself out! That is Unity all can get behind.

How is OSU being given a championship on a platter? They are the only undefeated team in the conference. If OSU and Indiana both had 1 loss and didn't play each other then there would be an argument. But Indiana's game is canceled this week, if they want another shot at the king, come take it this saturday at noon, it will be a nationally televised game.

They have two games that were never played, no one knows what the outcome may have been. Again, bad on the Big 10 going with the no-contest rule. they should have made it a forfeit if you have to cancel and the other team is ready to go.

Reactions: Crazyhole

Because the rules set forth, albeit as completely moronic as they were, were changed to largely benefit OSU. Sure, they are the “king”, as you say, of the Big 10, so why not crown them champs today and tell the CFP folk to save them a spot at the table. In your eyes, either a 5-0, 5-1, or 6-0 OSU team “deserves” it.

Northwestern stands no chance in the championship. Big10 changed the rules to get Ohio State in that game. You think it’s passed them to change the rules again to hurt Northwestern? Nope.

pass interference northwestern.
holding northwestern.
offsides northwestern.

Then with the game out of hand and Ohio state winning by 28. Holding Ohio state.

That’s all well and good, but it doesn’t explain why they had to go out of their way to be dicks to us in the first place.

You better believe we would, contrary to belief they would love for us to be the beast in the West

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Northwestern stands no chance in the championship. Big10 changed the rules to get Ohio State in that game. You think it’s passed them to change the rules again to hurt Northwestern? Nope.

pass interference northwestern.
holding northwestern.
offsides northwestern.

Then with the game out of hand and Ohio state winning by 28. Holding Ohio state.

Ohio State is the 6th most penalized team in the Big Ten

you can make a pretty strong case that based on the 2 major sports, Nebraska athletics ranks dead last in the conference and among the worst in all of power 5 sports

I'd like to hear a case for them not being the worst in P5.

only one way to go from there!

I am still holding out for Desmond to have a another Hissy fit over this season. The Buckeyes are in and his school still can’t beat the Buckeyes and now won’t even play them.

Anything that is done to help OSU make it to the Big Ten title game, is a slap in the face to Indiana.

Everyone should be asking Indiana how they fell about this. They are ones getting screwed over if the rules are changed.

I've followed this for a good part of the day and it sounded like OSU needed a conference championship to get into the playoffs - and they (obviously) are the only B1G team with a shot at the playoffs.

It was noted by the B1G administrators that OSU was the only B1G team - lacking enough games (six) to qualify - that had 2 games canceled by their opponent (Maryland and Michigan) and the B1G admitted that this scenario wasn't taken into account initially. If OSU would have played just one of those games - and even lost - they still would be division champs.

It was also noted they beat Indiana in their head to head matchup and are undefeated

And speaking of Indiana, who knows if they'll be able to play in the CCG - they are knee deep in their own Covid problems and had to cancel the game (mutual agreement) with Purdue this week.

And don't hold me to this, but if I understood the situation correctly, it was an unanimous vote by the BiG - including Nebraska and Indiana administrators (14-0) - to send OSU to the CCG.

Basically, it comes down to money and the playoffs since OSU is the only BiG team with a chance to get in. The conference share this money evenly. Wouldn't it be hilarious though, if Northwestern beat them

Reactions: tdierberger
Going to be an interesting day when they announce canceling all the remainder of the crossover matchups on December 18/19th. Optics of that will be horrible but I’m sure a vocal minority of schools will all chime in to tell us how the Commissioner’s office has such a hard job to do and has the health and safety of student athlete as the first priority. Meanwhile on the hardwood..........
Maybe...at this point I'm thinking they are blowing up the whole east vs west in neutral site dome stadiums and instead try and play some of the traditional rivalries that were cancelled. Guessing it will be the following assuming everyone can play (which is a huge assumption) and there will be no rematches from earlier this year.

OSU- NW in Indianapolis
Minn @ Wisc
Purdue @ Indiana

Iowa or Nebraska @ Rutgers
MSU @ Maryland
Nebraska or Iowa @ Michigan
Illinois @ Penn St

East teams will host as before COVID it was the year that East was to get 5 home games and 4 road games.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT