ADVERTISEMENT

Hank Hughes out

Agreed, I still think if Cally had cut Coz loose he would have been head coach for much longer. He had a stellar class coming in the year he got fired.
Agree - but pretty sure his relationship was more important as I don't think he cared too much about being the head coach here

Last edited:
Agreed, I still think if Cally had cut Coz loose he would have been head coach for much longer. He had a stellar class coming in the year he got fired.

^ This, I have dreams about what could have been. The O was potent and Cally was bringing in some major talent but what a hot mess on defense.

Tavita Thompson's bio from huskers.com. He has indeed coached DL before. I suppose he could be an option. I haven't heard much about him, but what little I have was positive. I don't get the feeling he's a Vince Marrow on the recruiting trail.

Tavita Thompson joined the Nebraska football staff in January of 2015 as a graduate assistant coach, working primarily with NU’s tight ends.

Thompson came to Nebraska from Oregon State, where he was a graduate assistant coach. He also played offensive tackle for the Beavers from 2005 to 2008. Thompson coached at Pacific University in 2011, serving as the team’s defensive line coach. Prior to joining the Boxers' staff he played one season in the United Football League with the Sacramento Mountain Lions being drafted in the second round. In 2009 he appeared in two games for the New York Jets during the preseason.

Thompson was a four-year letterwinner at OSU after redshirting as a true-freshman in 2004. A native of Honolulu, Thompson started 13 career games at offensive tackle and was a member of four OSU bowl winning teams.

Thompson played at St. Louis High School, where he was named first team all-state by both the Honolulu Advisor and the Star-Bulletin on both offense and defense as a senior. He was one of only three players to be named to both publications' first teams and rated among the nation's top-50 linemen by Rivals.com.

Thompson graduated from Oregon State in 2008 with his degree in human development and family studies. Thompson and his wife, Lindsay, have two children, Brycen and Tausani.

Reactions: maplesyrup95
Tavita Thompson's bio from huskers.com. He has indeed coached DL before. I suppose he could be an option. I haven't heard much about him, but what little I have was positive. I don't get the feeling he's a Vince Marrow on the recruiting trail.

Tavita Thompson joined the Nebraska football staff in January of 2015 as a graduate assistant coach, working primarily with NU’s tight ends.

Thompson came to Nebraska from Oregon State, where he was a graduate assistant coach. He also played offensive tackle for the Beavers from 2005 to 2008. Thompson coached at Pacific University in 2011, serving as the team’s defensive line coach. Prior to joining the Boxers' staff he played one season in the United Football League with the Sacramento Mountain Lions being drafted in the second round. In 2009 he appeared in two games for the New York Jets during the preseason.

Thompson was a four-year letterwinner at OSU after redshirting as a true-freshman in 2004. A native of Honolulu, Thompson started 13 career games at offensive tackle and was a member of four OSU bowl winning teams.

Thompson played at St. Louis High School, where he was named first team all-state by both the Honolulu Advisor and the Star-Bulletin on both offense and defense as a senior. He was one of only three players to be named to both publications' first teams and rated among the nation's top-50 linemen by Rivals.com.

Thompson graduated from Oregon State in 2008 with his degree in human development and family studies. Thompson and his wife, Lindsay, have two children, Brycen and Tausani.
Didn't we just hire Q. Alexanders HS Dline coach as a GA??

According to someone over there, this has likely been in the works for some time. I'm guessing another announcement will happen fairly quickly.

Ole Miss's current DL coach and Cincinnati's current DL coach are the two I saw him mention recently. Can't remember the names and I'm about to run out the door, maybe someone can fill in the gaps.
The Ole Miss coach would be Chris Kiffin, Monte's son and Lane's brother. Former coach (GA or something less than full-time coach) at NU under Bo. He was cleaning up his act from substance abuse problems, and I think his dad's ties with Bo and NU helped get him a fresh shot. Super recruiter. Not sure what kind of Ole Miss baggage he picked up, but he's a younger Orgeron on the recruiting trail without Orgeron's history.
The Cincinnati coach is Robert Prunty. At Texas Tech, was Big 12 recruiter of the year a couple of seasons, and was conference recruiter of the year in his new job at Cinci. So definitely has the recruiting chops.
Either of those 2 would be a slam dunk hire for recruiting purposes.

Reactions: siegsker
Ain't gonna happen. John loves it out there & has no ambition to return to the midwest.

Sparky, don't count out that his kid just signed on to play at Hastings College. He may love it out there.. But having a kid close, plus family close, plus old friends close, plus coaching at your alma mater.... That seems to be a heavy pull. I haven't talked to John in years, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him at least consider it if offered.

Sidenote - It was great to meet you and Mrs Sparky at the Hullabluau! Hope to meet up again soon. And, as I promised, I'll stop lurking and start posting. Cool

The Ole Miss coach would be Chris Kiffin, Monte's son and Lane's brother. Former coach (GA or something less than full-time coach) at NU under Bo. He was cleaning up his act from substance abuse problems, and I think his dad's ties with Bo and NU helped get him a fresh shot. Super recruiter. Not sure what kind of Ole Miss baggage he picked up, but he's a younger Orgeron on the recruiting trail without Orgeron's history.
The Cincinnati coach is Robert Prunty. At Texas Tech, was Big 12 recruiter of the year a couple of seasons, and was conference recruiter of the year in his new job at Cinci. So definitely has the recruiting chops.
Either of those 2 would be a slam dunk hire for recruiting purposes.

Sounds like a slam dunk for us, but them? Maybe the Cinci coach, NU seems like a step up, but I'm not sure I'd leave Ole Miss for Nebraska at this point unless one was worried about NCAA sanctions.

Sounds like a slam dunk for us, but them? Maybe the Cinci coach, NU seems like a step up, but I'm not sure I'd leave Ole Miss for Nebraska at this point unless one was worried about NCAA sanctions.
I think Chris is due for a big raise. His Ole Miss salary is $250K. Ole Miss might match, but a Nebraska coaching offer, no Ole Miss $EC headache, and a pay raise may convince him. That's if Riley has an interest in him at all.

I disagree about Ole Miss. NU is a traditional power with TONS of support in a weaker division with a HC with a great reputation amongst assistant coaches. Tell me again why Ole Miss is hands down a better spot than Nebraska?

Best of luck to you Hank Hughes. I'm in a decent mood, so will leave it at that.
I applaud Riley for taking the steps necessary to make us better but like others have said, I always hate to see someone lose a job. Hughes has a son in my son's class at school. Can't be easy being the kid of a football coach. I'm sure he got a decent severance but still its gotta be stressful.

Reactions: maplesyrup95
I disagree about Ole Miss. NU is a traditional power with TONS of support in a weaker division with a HC with a great reputation amongst assistant coaches. Tell me again why Ole Miss is hands down a better spot than Nebraska?

They were more competitive on the field last year, in a tougher conference, and they just brought in a top 10 class. Their coach is on the upswing and ours is a fourth quarter miracle away from being under some serious fire. From a security perspective alone I don't think it makes much sense, unless, as I said, one is worried about the NCAA.

Go get the best Polyneisan coach you can find! If it's Thompson...great. If it isn't go find one. There is no position that we need the poly influence more than the DL!

Probably something like weather, women, etc?

They were more competitive on the field last year, in a tougher conference, and they just brought in a top 10 class. Their coach is on the upswing and ours is a fourth quarter miracle away from being under some serious fire. From a security perspective alone I don't think it makes much sense, unless, as I said, one is worried about the NCAA.
We're gonna have to agree to disagree on the outlook and condition of our program. I think our program is on the best trajectory since TO and that opinion definitely affects my analysis of any Nebraska football situation. If I were a betting man I'd put money on MR getting a top 10 finish in the next 3 years. Care to do a friendly sig bet?

So back to Hughes, I think this was a good move by MR. We lost too many DL and failed to bring any in. Pretty clear there was a problem there and I am encouraged that MR did something about it. Let's get a strong recruiter in here!

Guys we all know how this is going to pan out. We'll talk about potential hires, the ones we want like the Ole Miss guy or Cinci guy or something, but in the end some guy from Tulane or Air Force or someone with Oregon St ties will be hired and we will pretend that we like the hire.

Reactions: redfanusa
ADVERTISEMENT