ADVERTISEMENT

Haarberg

SLOHusker

Senior
Aug 7, 2001
Dylan is fantastic and carried the team yesterday. But I think there are times we can and should use Haarberg. Case in point, that 3rd down where the TE didn't catch up to Raiola's throw. I didn't like the call no matter what. We should have run the ball or gone with a short pass to keep the drive going and use up the rest of the clock. Even with a TD there Illinois gets the ball back. The whole point should be to use up all the clock necessary to get the field goal or TD for the win with no time left.
Why not bring Haarberg in to run an option there? Even just having him come in for a play probably results in Illinois using a timeout because it's an obvious unexpected wrinkle. I could easily see an option run on that 3rd down getting 10+ yards against a defense that was unprepared for it. Haarberg gives us a running QB weapon that we ought to use moe as this season progresses and the weather changes.
Even if that play worked (and I could also see that pass dropped in the endzone) I still did not like the call.

Dylan is fantastic and carried the team yesterday. But I think there are times we can and should use Haarberg. Case in point, that 3rd down where the TE didn't catch up to Raiola's throw. I didn't like the call no matter what. We should have run the ball or gone with a short pass to keep the drive going and use up the rest of the clock. Even with a TD there Illinois gets the ball back. The whole point should be to use up all the clock necessary to get the field goal or TD for the win with no time left.
Why not bring Haarberg in to run an option there? Even just having him come in for a play probably results in Illinois using a timeout because it's an obvious unexpected wrinkle. I could easily see an option run on that 3rd down getting 10+ yards against a defense that was unprepared for it. Haarberg gives us a running QB weapon that we ought to use moe as this season progresses and the weather changes.
Even if that play worked (and I could also see that pass dropped in the endzone) I still did not like the call.
He threw way high on that lateral pass to Raiola.

Because when Haarberg comes in, the defense is almost certain he’s gonna run the ball.

As with all these "assumptions" they are just that. Why is the assumption always that it will work? The pass play in the end zone was there, just poorly executed. Funny how it ALWAYS comes down to execution - no matter that trick play or regular play call.

Because when Haarberg comes in, the defense is almost certain he’s gonna run the ball.
So what? Make them stop it. I'd rather run the ball twice (if the first time we don't get the first down) and if we can't get three yards so be it. There was no reason to allow Illinois to get the ball back in regulation if we could control it.

As with all these "assumptions" they are just that. Why is the assumption always that it will work? The pass play in the end zone was there, just poorly executed. Funny how it ALWAYS comes down to execution - no matter that trick play or regular play call.
That was a low percentage throw no matter what. If you are going to throw that pass at least let it be Nelson. The throw wasn't actually bad. It was in a good spot for the route. The TE was just not fast enough to get to it.
Say it worked. Illinois still gets the ball back with over a minute left and 2 time outs. We should have run it and made them stop us. And I guarantee they were not ready to defend the option at that point in the game.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that last season Haarberg at least gave us another running threat beyond the running bak. We were putting up good numbers on the ground even if the passing game was non-existent and a turnover machine and defenses were stacking the line to stop it. This season we have a pretty decent passing game but we need more production on the ground.

The ball was tipped and it was an athletic play just to get rid of the damn ball.
Haarberg is our most versatile player (along with Nelson). He is NOT, nor ever will be, good enough to be a primarily passing QB like Raiola, but he is a weapon to use in a running attack and with option plays. I've seen tons of teams bring in a QB for obvious running plays because they are almost a wildcat running back with a bit better arm. Haarberg is that guy.

Haarberg is our most versatile player (along with Nelson). He is NOT, nor ever will be, good enough to be a primarily passing QB like Raiola, but he is a weapon to use in a running attack and with option plays. I've seen tons of teams bring in a QB for obvious running plays because they are almost a wildcat running back with a bit better arm. Haarberg is that guy.
It's not a bad idea, especially since Haarberg is our primary backup and we've got to have plays already installed to use if Dylan ever got hurt. I probably wouldn't have put him in to run an option on 3rd & 3 but I certainly think we should have run the ball and considered it four down territory.

Nelson is a guy who we've got to get on the field more.

Reactions: scarletred
That play call is up there with the Irish onside in terms of being monumentally stupid
It was a miracle that play worked. The Illini defender was all over Haarberg when he made the throw back to Raiola, who had to find another receiver to pass to. The luck ran out right there.

If the TE does catch up to the ball, it looks like a genius play. But I didn’t like the call at all, especially to that particular TE. Needed to get the damn 1st down there. That was a pass that a WR may have caught but not that receiver.

Reactions: king_kong_
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT