ADVERTISEMENT

Haarberg

One is a walk on and one isn’t. We only talk about walk ons after they contribute.

Masker was 1-2 for 1 yard and -10 yards rushing.
Him being the back up would be considered more punitive than putative.
But hes an athletic lid that can run, so ...

One is a walk on and one isn’t. We only talk about walk ons after they contribute.

Masker was 1-2 for 1 yard and -10 yards rushing.
Him being the back up would be considered more punitive than putative.
Those stats are indicative of the kids’s lack of reps in the spring game and not much else.

Well, considering the offensive philosophy of heavy QB run game, I'm thinking coach thinks they are very well developed D1 QB's - they are all good runners, so they really are plug-n-play.
This isn’t suppose to be a heavy QB run offense, over the past few years the offensive line was porous, the running backs so-so and the wide receivers just plain bad. The only weapon was run the Qb or Mr Robinson

Reactions: Red I 73
Those stats are indicative of the kids’s lack of reps in the spring game and not much else.
Well the putative backup would have probably gotten similar reps as the rest of the QBs. If the starter is going to get a half, the back up should get a similar amount, no?

Till Cole wins a couple NC's with the Bison.

Considering the QB talent already on ND State's roster, I don't believe Payton will be factor for them before 2024 or 25. Sure he might win some rings, but not as their starting QB.

By Fall, the backup QB will be Logan Smothers.
That's my expectation because they'll be trying to redshirt Haarberg. Whoever it is, if they don't generate a lot of RB carries with their bajillion RBs and their "nine guys who can play" on OL they're f***ing stupid.

If they really hurt teams on the ground and then let Adrian utilize PA and RPO to build off that, they've got something. If they come out chucking it again all year they deserve to lose.

Hold my beer
5b78da672ed68.image.jpg
cant this guy please retire

The guy who turns out to be the best quick thinker will be the backup. Someone who can analyze what he sees on defense and make the right quick decision. Not sure who that will be between the two guys yet because neither of them have a lot of experience. Whichever one learns more quickly will probably get the job. That won't be evident until toward the end of Fall camp.

This isn’t suppose to be a heavy QB run offense, over the past few years the offensive line was porous, the running backs so-so and the wide receivers just plain bad. The only weapon was run the Qb or Mr Robinson
For 3 years Frost recruited runners, not passers, AM the best passer of the bunch, 40 months later, and 4 QBs later, did the light come on and he figured out you need to be able to pass the ball in the 21st century?

Reactions: TheBeav815
Make good decisions and take care of the ball. You don't have to be super man. I would settle for a game manager, someone who can get people lined up, take what the D gives, make adjustments most of the time and get the ball out with some degree of accuracy while taking care of the ball.

The guy who turns out to be the best quick thinker will be the backup. Someone who can analyze what he sees on defense and make the right quick decision. Not sure who that will be between the two guys yet because neither of them have a lot of experience. Whichever one learns more quickly will probably get the job. That won't be evident until toward the end of Fall camp.
Somebody else on here mentioned that nobody is talking about Masker but he's actually probably the front runner to be the backup to AM. IF AM goes down in a game, I would hope to hell that Frost thinks long and hard before he runs out Haarberg or Smothers. JMO.

Reactions: WHCSC
Somebody else on here mentioned that nobody is talking about Masker but he's actually probably the front runner to be the backup to AM. IF AM goes down in a game, I would hope to hell that Frost thinks long and hard before he runs out Haarberg or Smothers. JMO.
Frost didn't appear to trust Masker to run the offense against the scout team in the spring game. If he is the back up, this program is screwed.

Masker is a pre-health major, He will likely be finishing his degree in May 2022, I would doubt very seriously he chooses to hang around to pay to play after this year anyway. Especially considering he hasn't even stepped on the field in 3 seasons.

Frost is no longer in a position to salvage a redshirt for a player. If Martinez goes down, he is going to need to win games and by the looks of things, Masker isn't the dude they trust to win games.

I'm afraid that we would see the same result that we saw when Andrew Bunch took over for Martinez against Troy in 2018.

Are you all talking about the same Haarberg who threw two red zone interceptions and completed only 8 passes in the biggest high school game of his career just 6 months ago? Or is this the same Haarberg who threw 9 for 23 with a TD and an INT, plus 9 rushes for 8 yards in the spring game? Easy with the comparisons to Ferragamo, Frazier, and Crouch, folks.

Are you all talking about the same Haarberg who threw two red zone interceptions and completed only 8 passes in the biggest high school game of his career just 6 months ago? Or is this the same Haarberg who threw 9 for 23 with a TD and an INT, plus 9 rushes for 8 yards in the spring game? Easy with the comparisons to Ferragamo, Frazier, and Crouch, folks.
I'm just comparing him to our current starter

Reactions: artguy68
He's going to need intense study with professor Potter. The two interceptions were bad. Looked like he closed his eyes leaned back and flung it up there like he was playing a game of 500

For 3 years Frost recruited runners, not passers, AM the best passer of the bunch, 40 months later, and 4 QBs later, did the light come on and he figured out you need to be able to pass the ball in the 21st century?
I’m my opinion , Sort of , Frost recruited dual threat QB’s . Qb’s that are Both run and pass threats. My guess is that Mario was suppose turn these guys into accurate passers with his magic😂

As for AM, he doesn’t make good decisions and can’t consistently throw accurately on medium or long passes as for Short passes, he fails to put touch on the ball all to often and misses his target frequently.

Last edited:
Frost didn't appear to trust Masker to run the offense against the scout team in the spring game. If he is the back up, this program is screwed.

Masker is a pre-health major, He will likely be finishing his degree in May 2022, I would doubt very seriously he chooses to hang around to pay to play after this year anyway. Especially considering he hasn't even stepped on the field in 3 seasons.

Frost is no longer in a position to salvage a redshirt for a player. If Martinez goes down, he is going to need to win games and by the looks of things, Masker isn't the dude they trust to win games.
It isn't about redshirting. It's about playing the guy who has the most thorough knowledge of the offense and the ability to complete forward passes. By all accounts, Masker is the most accurate passer of the QB room. He doesn't have to be able to rip off 40 yard runs. All he has to do is find the open receiver and get him the ball or pickup 5 with a zone read option run every now and then.
I would like to see Haarberg or Smothers in some mop up duty against Fordham before we decide to annoint a backup for when AM gets knocked out of the game against OU.

It isn't about redshirting. It's about playing the guy who has the most thorough knowledge of the offense and the ability to complete forward passes. By all accounts, Masker is the most accurate passer of the QB room. He doesn't have to be able to rip off 40 yard runs. All he has to do is find the open receiver and get him the ball or pickup 5 with a zone read option run every now and then.
I would like to see Haarberg or Smothers in some mop up duty against Fordham before we decide to annoint a backup for when AM gets knocked out of the game against OU.
Well considering several people have commented about saving a redshirt for Haarberg, that is why I brought up saving a redshirt year.

Again Masker was allowed the throw 2 passes in the spring game. I could not care less how accurate he is.

Reactions: TheBeav815
By Fall, the backup QB will be Logan Smothers.
Smothers made some good reads now and then, but his pocket presence is terrible. He's also not near as good of a runner as some made him out to be.

cant this guy please retire
All I hear him say in the media is they're working on a guy's stroke. I guarantee the qb's have no clue what the hell he's talking about when he says that. I doubt Mario even knows what a good stroke looks like.

Reactions: Red I 73
afraid this mindset of a head coach is going to cost him his job. didnt take alot of top iq upstairs to see what am has and will continue to bring to the table. why no new possibles brought in to compete is inexcusable. oh well, sigh

afraid this mindset of a head coach is going to cost him his job. didnt take alot of top iq upstairs to see what am has and will continue to bring to the table. why no new possibles brought in to compete is inexcusable. oh well, sigh
He's probably working the back channels. Better to keep quiet in case the right guy doesn't come along.

ADVERTISEMENT