ADVERTISEMENT

Gun Question

HeartMan

Sophomore
Jan 25, 2004
Trying to decide between a Glock 19 and SA XD 9 (full size frame), mainly for home defense. I've put a couple hundred rounds through a friend's Glock and really like it but the XD has some nice reviews as well. Anybody have and recommendations?

They're VERY similar. I really like the XD, but one thing with the XD is the palm/butt safety. Some people say they have no problems, others say it has the potential to not be pressed all the way potentially causing the gun to not fire in a vital moment. I would go with the glock because of the vast amount of customization options and it should be pretty easy to get a great deal on one.

Originally posted by HeartMan:
Trying to decide between a Glock 19 and SA XD 9 (full size frame), mainly for home defense. I've put a couple hundred rounds through a friend's Glock and really like it but the XD has some nice reviews as well. Anybody have and recommendations?
If its strictly home defense get a good 20 gauge and take the plug out. That is more likely to deter any would be intruders. Although.... my wife's SW .38 hamerless revolver with a laser sight gets your attention. Is it a bad sign if your wife asks you for a handgun for Christmas?
confused0006.r191677.gif

I do not want to use a a gun with a barrel as long as a shotgun inside of the house.

I have had both. Prefer the feed of the XD. But its all just feel preference, try them both and see what you like because of the similarity.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I'm not a fan of either myself. I generally don't like striker fired guns and specifically Glocks I can't get used to the grip angle. I prefer SA/DA over striker fired, and personally own a CZ-75 clone (SAR B6P) which is my HD handgun and will eventually double as my CCW at least initially. If money were no object, I'd have a CZ-75B or a CZ-75 P-07.

Re: a shotgun, it can be a good home defense weapon depending on your philosophy of use. If you are going to go after the threat or you have kids to get to, no a shotgun isn't an ideal weapon. That being said, unless you have training in clearing a house, sweeping the house for a threat isn't a good idea. Getting to kids is a different story. If your plan is to hunker down in the bedroom and wait for the police to get there, a shotgun pointed at the door is a better option than a handgun

An underrated option is an AR15. 223/5.56 actually overpenetrates less than most pistol rounds or buckshot from a shotgun due to the fact it fragments easily when it hits construction material. My AR isn't my first choice for HD, but I wouldn't be afraid to use it at all.

Couldn't give you an opinion on the XD 9 but I have carried a Glock 22 for the last 20 years as a duty weapon. It is not the sexiest of weapons ( as suhnami pointed out that can be changed with customization) but I have found it to be very a dependable, accurate weapon with simple a operation. I was not a fan of Glock when I first started to carry it ( I carried a Sig 226, Dept. issued the Glocks) but after a few years I love my Glock almost as much as my Sig. And as already stated an AR 15 is also an excellent choice, depending on your preference.
Whichever you feel most comfortable with would probably be best, go for one with very simple operation, in the heat of battle simple is good and practice with it.

HK P30 for me. Dual purposed as my hd and cw. Just never could get over the feel of my Glock 21c.

I know some people espouse the use of racking a shotgun as a deterrent itself, but you should chamber the round first thing instead of waiting til you see/find the bad guy. It's amazing how fast a human can close in-home distances.

Now, that being said, a Mossberg 500 and 5 rounds of 00 buckshot are what sits right at the front of my long gun safe.

Handguns are like women. Everyone likes different types. What I like isn't going to be what you like. For me I love the Springfield armory xdm subcompact 9mm. Holds 18 rounds shoots extremely accurate and has a rail system so you can attach a light and or a laser if you choose. The best handgun is one that feels good in your hand,you shoot accurate with. Use a good hollow point from a reliable manufacturer (no reloads in self defense) and reliability should not be an issue (as long as you clean & lube gun)

I would STRONGLY recommend Liberty gun lube. BEST GUN Lube ever invinted.

Get a good rfd bed side gun safe. This is extremely important. Good luck and weapons are like tattoos and potato chips. One will never do!

Both are very dependable. I have shot both, have an XDM in the 40 and absolutely love it. You cant go wrong with either. Handle and shoot both and make your decision based on how they feel, they will function perfectly. For what you are planning to use it for both are excellent.

Shotguns are fine if you dont mind all of that length to handle. As was said, retreat to a bedroom, get behind a bed, turn on the cell phone, leave it on and wait for the BG to come to you. An AR will give you lots of fire power but you also have to be comfortable operating this type of weapon especially in a panic situation. A 223 round, in my opinion, will do some serious damage with lots of penetration. I know what it does to metal plates and concrete.

My wife prefers a Ruger LCR in 38+P. It is a small revolver with the laser. 6 shots and she does not have to worry about racking a semi auto with her hands. She doesnt have the strength in her hands like she use to. They are very simple and nice handling firearms. They now make them in 9mm.

CZ's were mentioned. Absolutely excellent firearms. Love them personally.

Get out to the range!

Find what you like.It's all personal preference. Personally I carry a S&W 40 cal semi. It's a little bigger and takes up a little more room but when I need it I'm stopping your ass. Isn't that he purpose?

CZ's all day. My CZ-85 and CZ-83 fit my hand like a glove. If you ever get a chance to hold one, do it.
Also got the Mossberg propped against the nightstand. I like my options...

Have a Ruger .357 magnum revolver at the ready. Point and shoot; reliable. Fewer moving parts than semi-auto's. (Which I have also) If I need more than six shots inside my home, then I have much bigger problems and if I survived I'd also be deaf. )

All of my handguns now are Sig Sauer's but have owned Colt's, Browning's, Beretta's and Ruger's over the years. I like the DA/SA action of the Sig's and decided to stay mainly with one platform.
A .45, 357, or 10mm is more effective by far than a .380, 9 or 40, but only if you're shot placement has not been negated. If you can accurately shoot a .45 or .357 as good or better than you can a 9 or .40 then consider the .45. I prefer the 9mm and .357 Sig now and shoot the tightest groups with a 9mm so that is my nightstand firearm.
Consider a Sig but you can't go wrong with either one of your other choices.

Originally posted by sparky62:
Find what you like.It's all personal preference. Personally I carry a S&W 40 cal semi. It's a little bigger and takes up a little more room but when I need it I'm stopping your ass. Isn't that he purpose?
I better start being nice to you.

Reactions: sparky62
Originally posted by JPR95:
HK P30 for me. Dual purposed as my hd and cw. Just never could get over the feel of my Glock 21c.
I might add the HK VP9 to the mix, it like the larger frame. I do a lot of recreational target shooting so I know I'll put a lot of rounds through it. I had an SA 1911 ACP and I loved that gun, probably put a couple thousand of rounds through it but in the course of moving around the country I got rid of it. Now that I'm settled back in Nebraska, I want to "update".

Originally posted by summersatthelake:
All of my handguns now are Sig Sauer's but have owned Colt's, Browning's, Beretta's and Ruger's over the years. I like the DA/SA action of the Sig's and decided to stay mainly with one platform.
A .45, 357, or 10mm is more effective by far than a .380, 9 or 40, but only if you're shot placement has not been negated. If you can accurately shoot a .45 or .357 as good or better than you can a 9 or .40 then consider the .45. I prefer the 9mm and .357 Sig now and shoot the tightest groups with a 9mm so that is my nightstand firearm.
Consider a Sig but you can't go wrong with either one of your other choices.
One of the guys I shoot with has a Sig 220 (.45) and I absolutely love the gun but I can't get a good group with it to save my soul!

This post was edited on 4/19 8:52 PM by HeartMan

Originally posted by suhnami:
They're VERY similar. I really like the XD, but one thing with the XD is the palm/butt safety. Some people say they have no problems, others say it has the potential to not be pressed all the way potentially causing the gun to not fire in a vital moment. I would go with the glock because of the vast amount of customization options and it should be pretty easy to get a great deal on one.
I had a SA 1911 ACP for years and the palm safety was never an issue so I don't think that will be much of a problem, I have big hands and grip a gun pretty tightly.

I have a XD9 and absolutely love it. Shoots great and feels comfortable in my hand. My buddy has a Glock 19 and he prefers it over the XD9. Shoot both and buy whichever one you like better.

One of the guys I shoot with has a Sig 220 (.45) and I absolutely love the gun but I can't get a good group with it to save my soul!

This post was edited on 4/19 8:52 PM by HeartMan

Were you shooting mostly low and to the left?
This post was edited on 4/20 5:56 AM by summersatthelake

Suhnami, I know you mentioned the Desert Eagle as a joke, but it reminded me that an IWI Baby Eagle would be another option worth a look.

Don't own a gun, but if I did, for home protection, there's nothing more effective than a sawed off 12 gauge.

Anyone ever had to actually use one for protection or self defense?

In a house, I would agree that the shotgun is your best choice. If you miss with a handgun (much less an AR), that round is going straight through the drywall and into the next room, if not multiple rooms.

Bad enough if you shoot through the drywall and ding a water line. What if you catch the guy right outside your kid's room? Are you willing to roll the dice that you can hit him with every round and not send a stray one into your child's bedroom? You don't know if that child is still in bed, or if they're listening right on the other side of that door.

Inside a house, you're generally not more than 10 - 15 feet from anyone once you have a visual. A couple shells of birdshot at that range is going to be a major problem for the burglar, but shouldn't be as much of a concern for shoot-through.

I'll put in my obligatory plug for an alarm system and a big f**kin' dog (or three) as your best home protection strategy. Unless you're REALLY making some enemies, or you're a collector of jewels, a burglar is going to keep it moving at the sound of an alarm siren and/or a big dog. They hear those, they're gonna GTFO.

The guy doesn't know about your gun til he's already inside, and either you have to tell him about it in person, or he's stealing it from you while you're not home because he's been keeping track of when you're home and when you're not.

The dogs will clock him during the day when he's casing, they'll go nuts barking if he's on your property or rings your bell pretending to be a salesman or some BS. He'll cross your place off the list and find a place where getting a leg opened up isn't a concern.

If we're being honest, you don't wanna have to kill anyone or chance him having his own gun. If you're coming for him with your gun drawn and he sees you first, he's gonna shoot you because once you see that gun, you're in "kill or be killed" mode. You'd do the same.

Originally posted by hamneggs53:
Don't own a gun, but if I did, for home protection, there's nothing more effective than a sawed off 12 gauge.
How exactly are you measuring effectiveness?

Hitting your target.

Take advice from anti-gun zealots at your own peril. Beav go get some sheet rock and shoot it with a 12 gauge. or watch this video.
Let's not go off the rails and get the thread locked quibbling about my exact views on gun ownership, which you're incorrect on.

You seem to have tried to say I'm wrong by posting a video that agrees EXACTLY with the point I was making.

I said you should use something light like birdshot so that you're not carrying lethal power through the walls. Watch the video, that's exactly what these guys say, too.

It would be a better demo if they had used some ballistics gel so you could see how deep into tissue the different shells would go under the different circumstances.

Really interesting series came up after that shotgun demo video.

This is an interesting show, you get to see how people actually do when they're under duress. This guy is a deputy, and it goes south on him in the blink of an eye. Having that weapon does not hand you victory. There's still a lot that can go badly for you.

They seem to have on exclusively people who are a cut above just some know-nothing with a CCP. Interesting to see all the tactical flaws from people who you know have put in a lot of target practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wth1ktsZ6KQ

Another very interesting one. She doesn't even make it close to drawing down.

My fiance goes out running alone like this. I love her dearly, but let me tell you, if I had to place performance bets on giving her a gun or sending our dog with her, it's not even close.

She would end up just like this girl did where the gun never made it out, but my dog woulda been teeth-deep in that guy's arm as soon as he came up with a hand to her chest like that.

This post was edited on 4/20 12:57 PM by TheBeav815

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xh3PAabDs0

Hitting your target.
Then, assuming the guns are functioning correctly, they should be equally effective.

Beav, why don't you start your own anti-gun thread instead of shitting all of this one?

A shot from a shotgun is going to penetrate drywall. You were wrong. The video shows it penetrating the drywall.

ADVERTISEMENT