Gun control?

Redblooded

Athletic Director
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Can there be any common ground? Universal back ground checks with a short waiting period. Can there be a process like getting a CDL drivers license to get an assault weapon since most the shootings lately are with assault weapons. Leave all other gun ownership alone. Just focus on the person, not the guns. Can both parties agree that much or is it something they will never agree on.

bldhuskerred

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2003
Murica! My Guns will never agree to anything cause they think its a pathway to future and further control. Not sure how anyone can oppose universal background checks or a short wait period.

Jim14510

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
Just make the purchase of all guns just like handguns. All I really know is how it is to purchase a handgun in Omaha. There's not technically a waiting period but the multi step process takes a week or so. Its inconvenient but wouldn't bother me if all guns were the same way.

Reactions: zar45 and lipem

EriktheRed

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Can there be any common ground? Universal back ground checks with a short waiting period. Can there be a process like getting a CDL drivers license to get an assault weapon since most the shootings lately are with assault weapons. Leave all other gun ownership alone. Just focus on the person, not the guns. Can both parties agree that much or is it something they will never agree on.

Most shootings lately are absolutely NOT with assault weapons. Good lord dude how many times can you parrot false information on here? What IS happening is ones that DO involve AR-15's are highlighted on left-wing news as they support an agenda. You get it now?

FYI, on universal background checks I'm fine with that. A special license to get an assault weapon though makes no sense at all. That's just a pointless idea. It's not supported by any factual information whatsoever. I support a special license for people who propose ignorant and baseless laws.

Reactions: 1160 and lipem

Jim14510

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
Most shootings lately are absolutely NOT with assault weapons. Good lord dude how many times can you parrot false information on here? What IS happening is ones that DO involve AR-15's are highlighted on left-wing news as they support an agenda. You get it now?

FYI, on universal background checks I'm fine with that. A special license to get an assault weapon though makes no sense at all. That's just a pointless idea. It's not supported by any factual information whatsoever. I support a special license for people who propose ignorant and baseless laws.
Doesn't have to be a special license. You just have to get a license to buy any gun. I believe all gun purchases have background checks in Nebraska. Not sure what states that's not required.

LightningJack

Sophomore
Gold Member
Mar 19, 2002
Maybe I'll get roasted here Smokin I'm a Democrat (not much longer me thinks)

I have a concealed handgun permit, I absolutely believe in someone's Right to own firearms. I believe everyone should have to get a permit though, whether they want to carry or own a gun (any gun) Right now in Ne we have two different permits, let's just have one. Like a federal Permit!

I took a carry concealed class, passed a federal background check. I can purchase what I want in NE and take it home. This should apply to other states in my opinion. Like purchasing a handgun at an Iowa gun show. I should be able to carry to every other state too, can in most. Too many rules, if I go to Colorado I better not have more than 10 Boolets (Hickock 45) in it.

I don't think the Gov't should track or limit gun purchases or ammo and I feel FFL transfers have their place. If I have this permit or an advanced one, then I passed the sniff test I should be good. If they made the Carry, background, etc harder. Fine I'll do that. If I have the right permit, I don't want to fill out paperwork for every purchase. Especially at Cabelas, UGGG!

Certainly there's another can of worms about mental health, having a prior record etc. That would have to be worked at to let the people that have had issues work toward a permit or be permanently denied etc.

Just my thoughts, Fire away.

EriktheRed

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Maybe I'll get roasted here Smokin I'm a Democrat (not much longer me thinks)

I have a concealed handgun permit, I absolutely believe in someone's Right to own firearms. I believe everyone should have to get a permit though, whether they want to carry or own a gun (any gun) Right now in Ne we have two different permits, let's just have one. Like a federal Permit!

I took a carry concealed class, passed a federal background check. I can purchase what I want in NE and take it home. This should apply to other states in my opinion. Like purchasing a handgun at an Iowa gun show. I should be able to carry to every other state too, can in most. Too many rules, if I go to Colorado I better not have more than 10 Boolets (Hickock 45) in it.

I don't think the Gov't should track or limit gun purchases or ammo and I feel FFL transfers have their place. If I have this permit or an advanced one, then I passed the sniff test I should be good. If they made the Carry, background, etc harder. Fine I'll do that. If I have the right permit, I don't want to fill out paperwork for every purchase. Especially at Cabelas, UGGG!

Certainly there's another can of worms about mental health, having a prior record etc. That would have to be worked at to let the people that have had issues work toward a permit or be permanently denied etc.

Just my thoughts, Fire away.

I actually am fine with all that except the pessimist part of me thinks what they could do with the federal permit portion. When it comes to confiscating like AR's and things like that there are too many and it would be very very dangerous for the government to enforce it in person. I've even heard how some gun grabber people I know say they would try to make it happen.

1) You are on a list so they know you have these weapons.

2) Fine you excessively until you turn in such weapons.

3) Government contacts financial institutions to block your ability to use any cards etc.

Reactions: LightningJack

LightningJack

Sophomore
Gold Member
Mar 19, 2002
I actually am fine with all that except the pessimist part of me thinks what they could do with the federal permit portion. When it comes to confiscating like AR's and things like that there are too many and it would be very very dangerous for the government to enforce it in person. I've even heard how some gun grabber people I know say they would try to make it happen.

1) You are on a list so they know you have these weapons.

2) Fine you excessively until you turn in such weapons.

3) Government contacts financial institutions to block your ability to use any cards etc.
I get it, worried about a gun grab. Other countries have done it and plenty of Demz would love too. Give them an inch they take the whole mile. I know a couple that talk about if they come for my Gunz blah blah. They seem serious is what gets me, you always lose that fight. IF the ATF showed up on my door, I'm not getting into a shoot out. I'll givem the combo to the safe. I'd rather have my life and livelihood.

SniperGhost

Walk On
Gold Member
Oct 25, 2007

Why is a special license for an assault weapon make no sense? You have to have a special permit for a suppressor? Not fighting, just want the rationale and please don't use the inch take a mile slant.

TheSeventhBrat

Administrator
Jun 26, 2003
Omaha
Just make the purchase of all guns just like handguns. All I really know is how it is to purchase a handgun in Omaha. There's not technically a waiting period but the multi step process takes a week or so. Its inconvenient but wouldn't bother me if all guns were the same way.
A week?

When I purchased my first a few years ago, it took less than a day.

Applied for handgun permit to purchase. Picked out gun. Bought gun. Went to OPD HQ to license gun. Took license back to gun shop. Filled out paperwork. Left with gun.

And once you get your CCW, you don't have to license any subsequent handguns.

BTW, you do not need a license to purchase a rifle or shotgun in the state of Nebraska.

Jim14510

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
A week?

When I purchased my first a few years ago, it took less than a day.

Applied for handgun permit to purchase. Picked out gun. Bought gun. Went to OPD HQ to license gun. Took license back to gun shop. Filled out paperwork. Left with gun.

And once you get your CCW, you don't have to license any subsequent handguns.

BTW, you do not need a license to purchase a rifle or shotgun in the state of Nebraska.
You have to mail the application now. Can't just go in and get it.

EriktheRed

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Why is a special license for an assault weapon make no sense? You have to have a special permit for a suppressor? Not fighting, just want the rationale and please don't use the inch take a mile slant.

#1 Things usually called assault weapons are not assault weapons
#2 Most gun crimes have nothing to do with assault weapons
#3 Most mass shootings are not involving assault weapons or things mixed up as them. Hand guns by far.

What purpose would a special license serve? Would this basically be the same check as a supressor? If so then pretty sure that extra tax would likely not be held constitutional. The wait time for that check is also way too long and sometimes 6 months.

The Supreme Court in a finding in recent years has said you can't ban things that are in common use so would you have to retroactively then get a license all the time for something you already have? Just curious how that would work.

I edited by adding this in. Actual assault weapons you already do have to register them.

Last edited:

TheSeventhBrat

Administrator
Jun 26, 2003
Omaha
You have to mail the application now. Can't just go in and get it.
I know Douglas County Sheriff isn't accepting walk-ins right now due to COVID. It took my sister three weeks to get her permit last year. When I got my first gun 8 years ago, I did everything in one day. Since I have a CCW, I don't need to go through that anymore.

Jim14510

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
I know Douglas County Sheriff isn't accepting walk-ins right now due to COVID. It took my sister three weeks to get her permit last year. When I got my first gun 8 years ago, I did everything in one day. Since I have a CCW, I don't need to go through that anymore.
I get that. Again point was to treat it like handguns. If you've got a CCW the waiting period is moot. People with CCW's in general know how to use a gun. If they want to murder someone they've already got a gun. Don't think it's necessary to get a CCW to buy a shotgun but wouldn't be opposed.

I could have specified to leave it the way they are currently doing handguns with the mail in. It took me about 2 weeks to get a handgun in December. About a week of that 2 weeks was because I didn't mail in the application immediately after getting it and I didn't go down to license it immediately after getting the permit back. Could have been done in about a week.

Latest posts