ADVERTISEMENT

Groundhog Day

Baxter48

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 22, 2010
Gods country
I know it’s only one loss, and I wasn’t feeling good about ill for some reason but i just can’t get over the feeling we’re stuck in cycle of repeating ourselves on stupid playing and play calling and I like coach Rhule I think he’s a good coach and the sad part is it’s the upperclassmen that are the issue the young players are working their asses off

too many got excited thinking we were a dark horse playoff contender.

those just aren't the types of teams that Rhule builds.

we are pretty similar to an end of era Pelini team right now. we're going to beat the cupcakes, have cardiac/heartbreakers games against the teams we're evenly matched against, and probably get our wheels blown off by the conference titans.

its better than where we were so i'll take it for now.

too many got excited thinking we were a dark horse playoff contender.

those just aren't the types of teams that Rhule builds.

we are pretty similar to an end of era Pelini team right now. we're going to beat the cupcakes, have cardiac/heartbreakers games against the teams we're evenly matched against, and probably get our wheels blown off by the conference titans.

its better than where we were so i'll take it for now.
F that, too much money to be mediocre. Yes, mediocre is way better than where we were, but really, who wants that again…almost losing to the “Jack Rabbits!” No…

Reactions: Hoboken Joe
F that, too much money to be mediocre. Yes, mediocre is way better than where we were, but really, who wants that again…almost losing to the “Jack Rabbits!” No…
reality is often the enemy to what i want as a football fan.

the sting can be dulled by employing abrasive honesty.

• Sad
Reactions: king_kong_
I know it’s only one loss, and I wasn’t feeling good about ill for some reason but i just can’t get over the feeling we’re stuck in cycle of repeating ourselves on stupid playing and play calling and I like coach Rhule I think he’s a good coach and the sad part is it’s the upperclassmen that are the issue the young players are working their asses off
If Illinois goes toe to toe with PSU this weekend would your opinion change? I’m not ready to say who or what this team is based on one loss against an undefeated ranked team in OT.

You're just going to have to be patient. We're not going to get out of Scott Frost overnight. He really set back our program a lot. We're not as good as we'd like to be. If you want something that's sustainable you're going to have to be patient. It's not like Texas where they walk into a program with a bunch of five star talent.

You're just going to have to be patient. We're not going to get out of Scott Frost overnight. He really set back our program a lot. We're not as good as we'd like to be. If you want something that's sustainable you're going to have to be patient. It's not like Texas where they walk into a program with a bunch of five star talent.
This is correct.

But

"Riley needs 3 years to remove the cancer and stink Pelini left"

"Frost needs 4 years to remove the softness Riley left"

Has left more than a few jaded about

"Rhule needs 3-4 years to purge the losing culture Frost built"

This is correct.

But

If you can't see that we're better than when we were under Frost I don't know what to tell you. At some point we got to give some guy chance to build a foundation. It looks like we have exactly the guy we need. It doesn't matter if Urban Meyer comes here. He's not going to be able to recruit enough to overcome what we already have here.

Reactions: HuskerO and Laner2
If you can't see that we're better than when we were under Frost I don't know what to tell you. At some point we got to give some guy chance to build a foundation. It looks like we have exactly the guy we need. It doesn't matter if Urban Meyer comes here. He's not going to be able to recruit enough to overcome what we already have here.
What if Indiana has a double digit win season in year one? What’s Nebraska’s excuse then?

Reactions: Zeke2005
I never said we aren't better than we were under Frost.

What if Indiana has a double digit win season in year one? What’s Nebraska’s excuse then?
The excuse is that Rhule takes 3 years. To me that ideology puts shackles on this program. They can win more this year but not if the team is caught up in Rhule’s historical performance. Go 5-7 or 6-6? Oh well it’s only his 2nd year.

The more I think about this the more i understand the Iowa and Wisconsin fans mocking us about it always being “next year”

This is correct.

But

What does the next coach need to do?

This nonsense talk about how we are the same losers as under Frost and Riley is exhausting. You can hate on Rhule because of his Carolina days. You can hate on Rhule because he only won 5 games in 2023. You can hate on Rhule because he lost to Illinois at home on the 400th straight sellout game. You can hate on Rhule because we're not making it to Ohio State undefeated. You can be mad that White's defense did not shut down Illinois. But IMO, I feel that this team is better than last year. It was a close game. We could have won, but DR had that unfortunate INT. Got to give credit to that defender for coming down with that. Replay confirmed it. I wanted the refs to confirm that Neyor had possession and had his feet down. Unfortunate. Then the missed FG. And Raiola missed the open Lindenmeyer with the late pass. Then there was all the defensive penalties. Then on our possession in OT, there was the false start by Gottula. That changed everything. Illinois blitzed at exactly when they new we would pass. We were screwed after that. So, plenty of blame to go around. It was winnable. Give Illinois some credit. The biggest thing to me besides the missed FG and missed opportunities was our defense being on the field for long drives. That's on White.

Reactions: Baxter48
The excuse is that Rhule takes 3 years. To me that ideology puts shackles on this program. They can win more this year but not if the team is caught up in Rhule’s historical performance. Go 5-7 or 6-6? Oh well it’s only his 2nd year.

The more I think about this the more i understand the Iowa and Wisconsin fans mocking us about it always being “next year”
Iowa has zero room to talk any shit on any program.

"Next year will be the year" has been Iowa football for 130 years and counting

This nonsense talk about how we are the same losers as under Frost and Riley is exhausting. You can hate on Rhule because of his Carolina days. You can hate on Rhule because he only won 5 games in 2023. You can hate on Rhule because he lost to Illinois at home on the 400th straight sellout game. You can hate on Rhule because we're not making it to Ohio State undefeated. You can be mad that White's defense did not shut down Illinois. But IMO, I feel that this team is better than last year. It was a close game. We could have won, but DR had that unfortunate INT. Got to give credit to that defender for coming down with that. Replay confirmed it. I wanted the refs to confirm that Neyor had possession and had his feet down. Unfortunate. Then the missed FG. And Raiola missed the open Lindenmeyer with the late pass. Then there was all the defensive penalties. Then on our possession in OT, there was the false start by Gottula. That changed everything. Illinois blitzed at exactly when they new we would pass. We were screwed after that. So, plenty of blame to go around. It was winnable. Give Illinois some credit. The biggest thing to me besides the missed FG and missed opportunities was our defense being on the field for long drives. That's on White.
What you described is identical to the Frost and Riley years. Is this year’s team better? Probably but the result was the same! And that is the problem.

You're just going to have to be patient. We're not going to get out of Scott Frost overnight. He really set back our program a lot. We're not as good as we'd like to be. If you want something that's sustainable you're going to have to be patient. It's not like Texas where they walk into a program with a bunch of five star talent
Replace “Frost” with “Riley” and we’re back to that tired talking point.

Kalen DeBoer took a Washington team that was losing to FCS teams to a national championship in year 2.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT