ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Bell Quit the Team

I agree, nicely said. All this talk of “culture” isn’t helping a bit. It reeks of “loyalty oaths” and stuff. The game is about skill, talent, coaching, recruiting, and pressure from fans. That’s it, and these players aren’t owned by anyone.
Pressure form fans?? The game is about pressure from fans? You this no that makes great teams?

I don't remember the stumbling after getting hit. There were two times he had a huge hole and got caught from behind. Frost said this about Bell after the game: "We need those plays to turn into touchdowns when we pop guys through that cleanly. He knows it and I’m sure he’ll do a better job in the future.”

He tried to turn to his left on one of the runs and wasn't smooth in turning.

Frost also said that he was too hyped up and tight, and said that he has a next gear.

What do you think is the reason?

I have stated multiple times. I think there is a consistency issue with who is “punished” for their lack of buy in and hard work

I believe that Frost wanted to establish culture but didn’t have the depth at some positions to do so. At those positions that lack depth, you have guys who haven’t or hadn’t bought in that were still playing. Where there is more depth, they were able to sit guys or rotate guys that weren’t meeting the standards.

I also believe there was a bit of a division on who the QB should have been. I think there were some offensive players that thought Gebbia won the competition and when he wasn’t named starter, felt that some of the culture and best man will start message was inconsistent.

It’s easy to say the coach is the coach and his opinion is the only one that matters. To a great extent that is true, but when players see some inconsistencies in how some positions were decided, it sits in the back of your mind.

I think there is a bit of a mental issue with getting over the hump and making the plays that win games.

I think players don’t like to be called out publicly when they don’t have a good practice or game. That leads to players playing tight and making mistakes. No one wants to be put on blast.

I think too many players talk out of school. We don’t have a what’s said in the building stays in the building attitude.

I think Frost should have ran clock in the Colorado game and made them use their timeouts. If you win that game, psyches change and the team plays looser.

Too many mistakes at the wrong time.

There are a few of my thoughts.

Last edited:
Makes me really appreciate Ozigbo. The guy has been thru more ups and downs than most on this team, yet he never quit, never complained and is always ready when his number is called.
Exactly think about all the higher recruited guys that have come in over the past 4 years, Jordan Stevenson, Tre Bryant, Jaylin Bradley, Mo Washington, Miles Jones. Devine was a last minute addition to add some depth. Nobody thought he'd make an impact here, I'm proud to have a guy like that on our team.

Reactions: xxUNRIVALEDxx
I have stated multiple times. I think there is a consistency issue with who is “punished” for their lack of buy in and hard work

I believe that Frost wanted to establish culture but didn’t have the depth at some positions to do so. At those positions that lack depth, you have guys who haven’t or hadn’t bought in that were still playing. Where there is more depth, they were able to sit guys or rotate guys that weren’t meeting the standards.

I also believe there was a bit of a division on who the QB should have been. I think there were some offensive players that thought Gebbia won the competition and when he wasn’t named starter, felt that some of the culture and best man will start message was inconsistent.

It’s easy to say the coach is the coach and his opinion is the only one that matters. To a great extent that is true, but when players see some inconsistencies in how some positions were decided, it sits in the back of your mind.

I think there is a bit of a mental issue with getting over the hump and making the plays that win games.

I think players don’t like to be called out publicly when they don’t have a good practice or game. That leads to players playing tight and making mistakes. No one wants to be put on blast.

I think too many players talk out of school. We don’t have a what’s said in the building stays in the building attitude.

I think Frost should have ran clock in the Colorado game and made them use their timeouts. If you win that game, psyches change and the team plays loser.

I agree 100% on the Colorado game. The program needed that win in the worst possible way to start the season and he didn’t adjust his coaching tendencies. He kept running his offense at break neck speed instead of adjusting his playcalling to fit what was taking place at that time in the fourth quarter. Several of us pointed this out during/after the game and got blasted for it because we were “criticizing” Coach Frost. How about break tendencies and just win the game in order to get the new era of Nebraska Football on the right note? Winking

The person I was replying to @Husker1078 said the coaches were trying to rid the team of quitters and players with the inability to overcome adversity.

I asked how they were doing that. To which you replied they benched both players. Which is only partially true. They promoted Ozigbo to 1st string alone and did nothing to Lindsay, except take away punt return duties.

We have watched kids for some time now quit in a game when are down, quit because they aren't where they want to be on the depth chart, or quit because they aren't getting the reps they want or feel deserve... I would say these are all examples of adversity... The coaches are trying to build a culture of competition...If a kid steps up and performs we shouldn't play him because another might take issue with it??? The coaches have been vocal about what they want, which are kids who want to be here and put in the work... If not theres the door... Its very clear there are those who don't like the approach... Thats fair but I for one don't have a problem with it....

Reactions: OzzyLvr

I think Frost should have ran clock in the Colorado game and made them use their timeouts. If you win that game, psyches change and the team plays loser.

Agree with all of this.

We have watched kids for some time now quit in a game when are down, quit because they aren't where they want to be on the depth chart, or quit because they aren't getting the reps they want or feel deserve... I would say these are all examples of adversity... The coaches are trying to build a culture of competition...If a kid steps up and performs we shouldn't play him because another might take issue with it??? The coaches have been vocal about what they want, which are kids who want to be here and put in the work... If not theres the door... Its very clear there are those who don't like the approach... Thats fair but I for one don't have a problem with it....

Uhm. But my point is he didn’t make the stand you think they did with Lindsay or Bell. Those guys were still going to see time on the field. They were still going to have an opportunity to make plays. Ozigbo isn’t going for 170 against Wisconsin, if Wisconsin stops the run we are going to need to get matchups on the outside and in space. Maybe it’s Washington, maybe it’s Bell. Lindsay didn’t move at all. He has been 2nd string all year. I understand what you believe is happening, I just don’t see that it happened with those two players, to the extent that it would force them to quit. I don’t think the plan was to get them to quit.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Pressure form fans?? The game is about pressure from fans? You this no that makes great teams?
Fan pressure and media ratings can make long term planning nearly impossible if your AD job depends upon instant public gratification. Do you think we’ll have the same coach in five years?

I dont believe that the staff intentionally tried to run them off... They clearly said Lindsey's request for release was a surprise... Again all I said is that they are trying to build a culture of competition... They are basically saying come in, compete, earn your playing time... It isnt just given... If you dont want to work, leave... Its clear some would rather leave....

Reactions: timnsun and c2o
Uhm. But my point is he didn’t make the stand you think they did with Lindsay or Bell. Those guys were still going to see time on the field. They were still going to have an opportunity to make plays. Ozigbo isn’t going for 170 against Wisconsin, if Wisconsin stops the run we are going to need to get matchups on the outside and in space. Maybe it’s Washington, maybe it’s Bell. Lindsay didn’t move at all. He has been 2nd string all year. I understand what you believe is happening, I just don’t see that it happened with those two players, to the extent that it would force them to quit. I don’t think the plan was to get them to quit.
Dude, sometimes I have no idea what point you’re trying to make. I like a lot of your posts. But sometimes you remind me of my college roommate who liked to play D&D.
He challenged every debate. At first I thought it was engaging, then I realized he liked the conflict...No Offense to the D&D crowd, if it’s still around.

Who gives a sh!t? Seriously. You know as much about this as everyone else. Do you think frost is the right guy for the job or not?

Who gives a sh!t? Seriously. You know as much about this as everyone else. Do you think frost is the right guy for the job or not?

Frost was the right hire - beyond that, there are no guarantees. The grave yard of major
college football is littered with coaches who had success at midmajor schools as well as successful coordinators.

He’ll be given a fair chance to succeed but ultimately he is going to have to win.

Dude, sometimes I have no idea what point you’re trying to make. I like a lot of your posts. But sometimes you remind me of my college roommate who liked to play D&D.
He challenged every debate. At first I thought it was engaging, then I realized he liked the conflict...No Offense to the D&D crowd, if it’s still around.
Tuco has been consistent in his assertion that Frost can’t simultaneously hold every position to the same standard (the culture of accountability he’s trying to build weekly) because some position groups don’t have the depth which doesn’t allow Frost to treat all equally which creates conflict inherently.
I understand what Tuco is saying but I don’t know exactly what the solution is or what could have been done differently
This rift/player divide grew from losing also. You are what you are when you get squeezed as the old saying goes
Frost is doubling down as he should but these are the unintended consequences of doing two things at once as Tuco puts it
Trying to win games with your talented players while creating a culture of accountability

Tuco is like a weird, molten version of SSO and HTO, but with less of HTOs sociopathic tendencies.

Great thoughts overall, Tuco. They're both logical/apparent in their reality-based observations and reasonable.

bell had his shots to make a statement, same with the tyrone guy. if they don't like where they are at on the depth chart, get better or leave..seems simple enough
sometimes things don't work out, hope bell does well, unless we play the team he goes to.

Reactions: EATAFAT1
bell had his shots to make a statement, same with the tyrone guy. if they don't like where they are at on the depth chart, get better or leave..seems simple enough
sometimes things don't work out, hope bell does well, unless we play the team he goes to.
Tyrone?

Frost was the right hire - beyond that, there are no guarantees. The grave yard of major
college football is littered with coaches who had success at midmajor schools as well as successful coordinators.

He’ll be given a fair chance to succeed but ultimately he is going to have to win.
This is pretty much spot on. We absolutely do not know if Frost is going to be successful

1) Right now, he’s in the changing the culture mode much more than he expected. He’s spending way too much energy on that

2) Next is learning how to make good gameday decisions against teams with similar or better talent. He’s almost training on the job to a degree

3) Next is to get HIS type of players and the right personalities for HIS system

4). He is going to have to fire and replace some assitants that he brought with him and are his loyal buddies, because some are mediocre at best,

5) Lastly, can he recruit his type of players for his system and can he win in this conference with such a system?

Right now, potential recruits from Cali and Florida aren’t looking at Nebraska as their first option

Last edited:
This is pretty much spot on. We absolutely do not know if Frost is going to be successful

1) Right now, he’s in the changing the culture more much more than he expected. He’s spending way too much energy on that

2) Next is learning how to make good gameday decisions against teams with similar or better talent. He’s almost training on the job to a degree

3) Next is to get HIS type of players and the right personalities for HIS system

4). He is going to have to fire and replace some assitants that he brought with him and are his loyal buddies, becasue some are mediocre at best,

5) Lastly, can he recruit his type of players for his system and can he win in this conference with such a system?

Right now, potential recruits from Cali and Florida aren’t looking at Nebraska as their first option

We tried the Cali thing, that didn’t turnout so well. Lack of results from Florida has been a surprise for me. We somehow need to get back into Texas.

Reactions: Biggesthuskerfan
but it seems there is no real benefit to doing this unless you are a graduate transfer.
This is what's troubling to me. Since Bell isn't benefiting in terms of keeping another year of eligibility then why still leave? Had to be more than just being 2nd string right?

This is what's troubling to me. Since Bell isn't benefiting in terms of keeping another year of eligibility then why still leave? Had to be more than just being 2nd string right?

Good point...we'll see how many snaps Mazour gets today. That might be telling.

We tried the Cali thing, that didn’t turnout so well. Lack of results from Florida has been a surprise for me. We somehow need to get back into Texas.
There were a lot of Cali guys that Riley was after hard, had a good chance to get, but didnt land who are doing very well on their current teams.

I get what you're saying, not go after just Cali kids.

I sure hope so otherwise Nebraska football is officially dead imo.
I agree with this somewhat. That’s why Frost will be given EVERY chance to succeed. He’s sort of a last chance. If he can get us back to a little consistency and a ceiling of say 9-10 wins and an occasional appearance in the CCG, we will just have to “live” with THAT.

Reactions: HuskerO
It’s Juco. It’ not quality football.

Good players aren’t that hard to identify great players are pretty easy to identify. He is neither.

In recruiting there are hits and misses as in everything in life. This is a colossal miss. On to the next one.
I'm convinced @Hoosker Du is either Bell's agent or his dad.

@Hoosker Du , is this the elite speed you keep referring to?

Or perhaps this one?

I'll give you on the second one #1 had an angle, but given that was the same guy that walked him in the first video, the result would have been the same.

I really don't want to hammer the guy, just trying to understand what you see that nobody else on here does.

Just read the comments from Bell about "not being used the right way". That sounds like a sorry excuse. No doubt NU is better off without a guy like that.

I agree that they didn’t want to see those 2 quit... just like they didn’t want to see Gebbia quit. Call it collateral damage.

They are changing the culture, and while unintended, there are players who pressed the eject button that they didn’t think would do that. But I don’t think they are having any regrets as a coaching staff... this year is already down the tubes. If we can flip the culture even faster without these players who don’t want to fight for their jobs, we will be better off in the long run.

Hopefully.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
No way to spin it, they've broken a lot more eggs than they thought they would trying to make this omelette.

It's a fine line to walk, do you tolerate a little more early on because it can bring you wins and winning cures all ills? Or do you run guys off knowing it will cost you games and suffer through the toxic environment of a losing team and risk losing even more guys?

No way to spin it, they've broken a lot more eggs than they thought they would trying to make this omelette.

It's a fine line to walk, do you tolerate a little more early on because it can bring you wins and winning cures all ills? Or do you run guys off knowing it will cost you games and suffer through the toxic environment of a losing team and risk losing even more guys?
Don’t think it’s as simple as the 2 options you present. As you present it, the only real choice is A) tolerate a little more early on, because in your description, there is no benefit to B).

Maybe you intended it that way, but the benefit to B may be that it will be much easier to instill the culture he coach wants faster than with A.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT