ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Bell Quit the Team

No I said the two players weren’t demoted to 5th string with no hope of playing. If you want to force a transfer you remove all hope of playing.

You said that too, but you also said that he didn't bench them. Anyway, I don't understand what your name-calling and hurt feelings comment is about. Also, who said he was trying to force a transfer? Maybe he was sitting them, and still letting them get some playing time, with the hope they get their act together.

Don't remember his name but he was a late pickup this summer and left before the season started when he was like 3rd or 4th string at DB. His position coach called him a slow blinker if that jogs your memory.
Will Jackson, you are right.

Here's why I feel the way that I do:

When you get the head coach and all the assistants talking about buy-in and guys who wanna be here and demoting people and all that, you've put a big assumption out there in the world. The assumption is that anybody who slips down the depth chart at this point, that guy got demoted because he's lazy, he's a p***y, he doesn't "go about it the right way."

Maybe that's unfair or inaccurate, but that's what the public is going to think based on what you've said.

Then you have coaches and players alike talking about if people don't wanna be here then they should quit, whether you meant to or not guys will think you mean, "If you get demoted we're trying to make you quit."

If you would just demote the guy and then man to man lay it out for him like, "Here's how you graded out in practice, here's where we have it on film you gotta hit this lane and you're going for that lane. I need to see this and that if you want to get your reps back." then at least he can take you at face value. Don't drag him for the cameras, show him publicly that you're covering for him, you're not going to put his business out there to every meatball fan to overanalyze.

If your boss is like "We're gonna have to cut back some people's hours if they don't work hard enough, and maybe some of them need to just quit or get fired" and then you get your hours cut, your next though is they're gonna fire you.

Yeah, don't forget the second part of the story, the clemson starter was injured last game and they had to go to a freshman off the bench and somehow pulled the game out for clemson; Syracuse had them on the ropes big time....if kelly bryant would have stuck around he could have been the hero
Much like Gebbia here.

When you get the head coach and all the assistants talking about buy-in and guys who wanna be here and demoting people and all that, you've put a big assumption out there in the world. The assumption is that anybody who slips down the depth chart at this point, that guy got demoted because he's lazy, he's a p***y, he doesn't "go about it the right way."

Then you have coaches and players alike talking about if people don't wanna be here then they should quit, you start to have guy whether you meant to or not who think you mean, "If you get demoted we're trying to make you quit."

If you would just demote the guy and then man to man lay it out for him like, "Here's how you graded out in practice, here's where we have it on film you gotta hit this lane and you're going for that lane..." then at least he can take you at face value.

If your boss is like "We're gonna have to cut back some people's hours if they don't work hard enough, and maybe some of them need to just quit or get fired" and then you get your hours cut, your next though is they're gonna fire you.

Whose to say he didn't approach them individually? Are you assuming that they didn't talk to these guys before names get dropped in the media?

Doesn’t matter who recruit he was, modern day if I can’t start I’m taking home my ball so you can’t play society..
Made coaching that much harder. Now not only do you have to pump up their egos when you are recruiting them. You have to find a way to keep those egos pumped all 4 or 5 years, and find a way to keep them happy when they aren't starting.

You said that too, but you also said that he didn't bench them. Anyway, I don't understand what your name-calling and hurt feelings comment is about. Also, who said he was trying to force a transfer? Maybe he was sitting them, and still letting them get some playing time, with the hope they get their act together.

The person I was replying to @Husker1078 said the coaches were trying to rid the team of quitters and players with the inability to overcome adversity.

I asked how they were doing that. To which you replied they benched both players. Which is only partially true. They promoted Ozigbo to 1st string alone and did nothing to Lindsay, except take away punt return duties.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Made coaching that much harder. Now not only do you have to pump up their egos when you are recruiting them. You have to find a way to keep those egos pumped all 4 or 5 years, and find a way to keep them happy when they aren't starting.
I can think of several million reasons a year why they should figure out how to make it happen despite how hard and unfair it is to have to deal with these damned Gen-Z crybabies. Excuse me while my five-figure salary and I feel really bad for millionaire coaches who by the way also bail for greener pastures the second it suits them. What's that, a Gen-X thing?

Most other programs seem to have figured out how to keep most of their better recruits on the roster. Not only that, but how to keep signing them. I'd be thrilled if our staff would figure out either right about now.

The person I was replying to @Husker1078 said the coaches were trying to rid the team of quitters and players with the inability to overcome adversity.

I asked how they were doing that. To which you replied they benched both players. Which is only partially true. They promoted Ozigbo to 1st string alone and did nothing to Lindsay, except take away punt return duties.

You misunderstood my response to your post, or I wasn't clear enough, or both. It doesn't matter. I still don't understand the fairly extreme reaction some of you are having to this. There are a lot of assumptions in this thread and to be this upset by what's going on seems way premature and a little strange to me. Frost is the coach, and will be for a long time. Getting this worked up over stuff we don't know a lot about seems worthless.

Reactions: 50Front and timnsun
I can think of several million reasons a year why they should figure out how to make it happen despite how hard and unfair it is to have to deal with these damned Gen-Z crybabies. Most other programs seem to have figured out how to keep most of their better recruits on the roster.
Agree, they do need to figure it out. It is 4 games in. Did anyone stop and think that maybe this is exactly what Frost and staff want? From and outsiders perspective it looks like havoc, chaos, an unorganized mess. . In house it looks like cleaning up, sorting the mentally strong, getting those who want to be here on the same page. Does anyone know did UCF have many guys leave after/ during his first year? Would be interesting to compare.

Reactions: EATAFAT1
I've seen some people that know absolutely nothing about football talent, but these comments take the cake. But oh yes, you know much more than those that choose the JUCO All American team, those that had him ranked as the #1 JUCO RB, Scott Frost, and the rest of our coaching staff for offering him a scholarship.

I stand corrected. For any future recruits, I'll consult you first. I would suspect Frost and his staff will too.
It’s Juco. It’ not quality football.

Good players aren’t that hard to identify great players are pretty easy to identify. He is neither.

In recruiting there are hits and misses as in everything in life. This is a colossal miss. On to the next one.

You misunderstood my response to your post, or I wasn't clear enough, or both. It doesn't matter. I still don't understand the fairly extreme reaction some of you are having to this. There are a lot of assumptions in this thread and to be this upset by what's going on seems way premature and a little strange to me. Frost is the coach, and will be for a long time. Getting this worked up over stuff we don't know a lot about seems worthless.

I’m not upset about anything. Players made decisions to leave, I don’t think the players that left are the reason this team is 0-4

It isn't a Frost thing or a Riley thing. It is becoming obvious it is just a "me" generation thing. Man can you imagine being an employer when this generation is full go into the work force? No raise? I quit. No promotion? I quit. No 2 month vacation? I quit. No 3 hour lunch break? I quit. Its going to be a revolving door for most of the employers in this country.
People should always act in their self-interest. To do otherwise is idiocy.

Maybe that's unfair or inaccurate, but that's what the public is going to think based on what you've said.

Then you have coaches and players alike talking about if people don't wanna be here then they should quit, whether you meant to or not guys will think you mean, "If you get demoted we're trying to make you quit."

If you would just demote the guy and then man to man lay it out for him like, "Here's how you graded out in practice, here's where we have it on film you gotta hit this lane and you're going for that lane. I need to see this and that if you want to get your reps back." then at least he can take you at face value. Don't drag him for the cameras, show him publicly that you're covering for him, you're not going to put his business out there to every meatball fan to overanalyze.

I agree, nicely said. All this talk of “culture” isn’t helping a bit. It reeks of “loyalty oaths” and stuff. The game is about skill, talent, coaching, recruiting, and pressure from fans. That’s it, and these players aren’t owned by anyone.

Which is the fact that this team has kids that once faced with adversity shut down and quit... Its been a symptom for some time and the staff is trying to rid the team of it....

Pretty much this, but the coaches have made mistakes which have been covered already in this thread. They need to get their act together as well.

I wonder if Greg Bell knew how popular he was amongst the fans? He’s number one today. ;)

He was the next “great one” according to the RSS experts on here. We stole the #1 JUCO. Frost is a magician. And now - hmmmmmmmm

I am not surprised that others want to try to take advantage of the 4 game transfer rule, but it seems there is no real benefit to doing this unless you are a graduate transfer.

So in Bell's case, he will really screw himself if he goes through with this and maybe that is why they are trying to talk some sense into the guy.

But I think you have to push him out the door now because there is no way you are going to give him any more carries this year unless you absolutely have to. He will be seen as an outcast and better to just say ok and let him hit the road.

Anyway, to any other players insecure about losing their position, welcome to the real world, because you are only as good as your last at bat and this how it works.

Anyways, I have a feeling we are going to play well tomorrow and things are going to start looking better.

"True, effective leaders understand something: Praise is public, criticism is private."

^^^^ This X1000!! As coaches, just don't talk about players' struggles in public...period! Leave that BS for us know-it-all forum posters..

Heh.....true enough sir!

So much ridiculousness in this thread its baffling. So much conjecture substantiated on half truths/assumptions/perceptions/lies/etc., why do people even bother wasting their time when they could easily find something more productive to do?

Reactions: WHCSC
So much ridiculousness in this thread its baffling. So much conjecture substantiated on half truths/assumptions/perceptions/lies/etc., why do people even bother wasting their time when they could easily find something more productive to do?

And yet here you are. Nothing more productive to do?

Reactions: HuskerO
Wow is right. Because he was caught from behind on a couple plays, when he was stumbling after getting hit, he's slow? You must not be paying much attention at all, because Bell doesn't look even remotely slow going through the hole. He and Ozigbo are by far the quickest of our backs hitting the hole and getting through it. And 3rd is a distant 3rd.

Although I don't think Bell is a burner, he has adequate speed. Frost was quoted as saying "he has a special gear," but his quickness in hitting the hole and vision is where he excels.

I don't remember the stumbling after getting hit. There were two times he had a huge hole and got caught from behind. Frost said this about Bell after the game: "We need those plays to turn into touchdowns when we pop guys through that cleanly. He knows it and I’m sure he’ll do a better job in the future.”

Just let the guy coach. We know none of the back story and he’s paid 5 mil to make these calls. Not sure why everyone is so butt hurt and acts like they can manage and coach better. If that was the case, why aren’t any of you the head man?

ADVERTISEMENT