ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Bell Quit the Team

Consistently impressive how many people on this board are NFL scouts. I'm just glad somebody sees through the lie of him being the #1 JUCO RB coming out and the staff wanting him in the first place.

You heard it here first, the staff signs and starts totally average players. It couldn't be that he's been a little bit hurt and this staff doesn't talk about injuries even though they'll happily blab on about every other little thing that's wrong with a player. How sick he is (allegedly), how much fight he's showing, which plays he screwed up on, how he feels about getting benched...but good thing we don't tell anyone when a guy tweaks an ankle or pulls a hammy.
I’ll be more concerned in a few years if Frost is Tim Miles. If there is an exodus of coaches and players alike. This is the second JUCO guy to exit. It’s hard to build anything sustainable with JUCOs. The OWH did a story about JUCO running backs and most do absolutely nothing even when they stay for a while.
I honestly don’t get the outrage in your post, especially when a freshman running back can come in and make an instant impact, see Burkhead, see Ameer, etc.
Running back recruiting has increased with this new staff.
I don’t fault them for bringing in JUCO guys for competition.
If he was hurt that would explain a lot about his lack of burst, looked to be a different player in the spring

Since we seem to some UCF fans that still post here, maybe one can answer this: how many transfers did Frost have his first year at UCF? How many guys didn't buy-in?

Honestly, I don't even remember, so I assume it wasn't many...or at least anyone that mattered.

Bell was a JUCO kid. JUCO players are often knuckleheads who make bad decisions. It's why they were in JUCO. Not all of them, obviously, but many are.

I’ll be more concerned in a few years if Frost is Tim Miles. If there is an exodus of coaches and players alike. This is the second JUCO guy to exit. It’s hard to build anything sustainable with JUCOs. The OWH did a story about JUCO running backs and most do absolutely nothing even when they stay for a while.
I honestly don’t get the outrage in your post, especially when a freshman running back can come in and make an instant impact, see Burkhead, see Ameer, etc.
Running back recruiting has increased with this new staff.
I don’t fault them for bringing in JUCO guys for competition.
If he was hurt that would explain a lot about his lack of burst, looked to be a different player in the spring
Who was the other JUCO to exit? I'm drawing a blank.

I could be way wrong, and I don't know if I 100% agree with how they are going about it. I think these coaches are doing this on purpose. They want to see who is mentally strong on this very mentally weak team. They want to weed out the ones who can't handle it. Whoever is left they know is mentally tough and can make it. Then they know where they need to recruit to fill the gaps. Hopefully this all equals much quicker turn around vs just letting things play out on its own.
I agree with this, If you coach long enough you let guys know that they better buy in or hit the road. Coach Frost is trying to build a program bigger than one person. If they are not interested in helping the Team, then better they move on rather than risk becoming a cancer. I think in Bell's case and others this 4 game rule will come back to bite them when they essentially choose to miss two years in a row.

I'll say again what I've said before about this staff: They'd do well to learn a little more coach speak. Their mouths and their balls are running a little faster than their brains sometimes.

All this tell it like it is, if you ask me honestly how a kid is doing I'll honestly shit on him right in the paper is not helping their cause. A lack of negativity is not what ails this team. I'm sure they've got DMs full of drunk idiots from Hyannis telling them they suck, I really doubt what's missing in their life is one more person to hate on them.

You don't have to lie but bro, you don't have to talk so much. You get asked about a kid who's struggling, say he's coming along, he's had a lot thrown at him, you have high hopes for him, next question. You start going in about him getting caught from behind or questioning his heart now you're doing that for you, not for him.

Because I know you'd have a problem if he had words for reporters about what you don't do well as a coach, so maybe you need to show some respect to earn some respect. I don't remember any NU position coaches being like, "Yeah Ryan Held is nothing special and he's not ever going to see meaningful game action" during an interview.

True, effective leaders understand something: Praise is public, criticism is private.

You got something to say to a kid, say it to him directly. You drag him in your interviews and now you're just rubbing salt in the wound and begging to rally kids against you. Everybody knows Lamar Jackson hasn't figured it out yet. I don't need to hear his position coach dog him for the microphones to understand why Eric Lee is starting this week.

With all the full-time staff the Athletic Department has at its disposal, including team psychologists, you'd think they could find a way to have some success reaching guys.

This one player is not the end of the world but Greg Bell is too talented and was getting too many reps to just lose him off your roster like that. You gotta be able to love the kids as hard as you work them sometimes when they get in their feelings.

Or . . . maybe the coaches know better than we do. Perhaps these few players have attitudes, and coach either 1) wants them to do what the hell they have been coached to do or 2) get them out of the locker room. If coaches motivate / teach / punish players by discussing an individual to the media, and the player leaves and the team doesn't get better, then that's on the coach. I love that the coaches aren't tap dancing around it.

What kids are rallying against him? I've heard coach say plenty of times how many warriors there are in the locker room. I suspect that everybody on that team knows who coach appreciates, and who he doesn't. Telling the public, as I said, is either going to get those kids to step up (because his private conversations with them didn't work) or it is going to get them to fold, and if they fold that easily, they can take their binky and go elsewhere.

Washington doesn't have the burst that Bell has.
Wow, that's a first. The recurring knock on Bell has been how slow he looks, and the recurring praise is how fast Washington is. If I had to choose between which of the two belonged at this level, it would certainly not be Bell.

That being said, he produced more than other teammates that left, so this one does hurt more.

Is Bell gone for sure? Lincoln SJ did not state he had left the team for sure only that he was not travelling with the team to Wisconsin. Sounds like he is gone, but as I remember his mom was involved with his recruitment. Mom may tell him to get his butt back to the team.
I know what you mean. The alert said he was not making the trip to madison but unlike Lyndsey, the last I looked, Bell is still on the roster.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. The alert said he was not making the trip to madisMa but unlike Lyndsey, the last I looked, Bell is still on the roster.
That would be awkward.

But it's probably not a good sign that he retweeted this.

I know what you mean. The alert said he was not making the trip to madisMa but unlike Lyndsey, the last I looked, Bell is still on the roster.

Someone in the athletic department said there will be no comment on Bell's status until after the game is played on Saturday. That could be Saturday night, Sunday or Monday press conference. But the fact that your co-#2 RB and your third leading rusher isn't making the trip and there is no evidence of injury leads you to believe where there is smoke, there is fire.

I get it with them wanting to set the culture, but I feel like they're trying to sprint before they can crawl. They don't have the players to be on that hardass mode of "If you don't like it GTFO."

Team is suffering from a serious case of ain't won a game and not enough talent and every time they run off another of their most talented players, the remedy to that illness gets further away. Some of the guys who are good enough to have options to go to another team that won't lose so much are going to exercise that option.

I said at least a week ago it's time for them to shut their mouths about most things and just go hit the weights and the sleds and get better at football. They keep fanning the flames and gassing the fire of all this drama of "so and so doesn't work hard enough or doesn't wanna be here." Like...you're not supposed to rip the band-aid off if the cut is still bleeding. It's like Pelini's us-against-the-world BS is back expect the world isn't the fans this time, it's their own teammates.

Now you're seeing guys go, "you know what? You're right, I don't wanna be here. Bye." And whoopsie daisy, it's the guys who they had the highest hopes of being impact players. That only makes them more likely to lose the next game and continue that illness.

The bleeding is more than a band-aid can hold back . . . the band-aid isn't doing anything. No, losing TL and GB isn't going to change the W/L record. And if they are pain to have around, then they can go, period. It sucks working with someone who doesn't want to be there. Getting rid of them, no matter how talented they may be, is always and addition by subtraction.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
Someone in the athletic department said there will be no comment on Bell's status until after the game is played on Saturday. That could be Saturday night, Sunday or Monday press conference. But the fact that your co-#2 RB and your third leading rusher isn't making the trip and there is no evidence of injury leads you to believe where there is smoke, there is fire.
Don't think I mentioned any names as my co#2 rb..... but you read my mind because that's what I was implying. Thanks for the update on what the athletic departments statement was. Kind of makes sense this close to game day traveling and all.

This probably will have very little impact on the result of the game Saturday night.

It probably won't, but it seems to just be another symptom of the problem that WILL have an impact on the result of the game.

It probably won't, but it seems to just be another symptom of the problem that WILL have an impact on the result of the game.

Which is?

Which is the fact that this team has kids that once faced with adversity shut down and quit... Its been a symptom for some time and the staff is trying to rid the team of it....

Which is the fact that this team has kids that once faced with adversity shut down and quit... Its been a symptom for some time and the staff is trying to rid the team of it....

What exactly is the staff doing to rid the team of shutting down and quitting? I am not following. Lindsay was in the same position as a back up to Spielman, Bell was still going to get reps. It isn't like they benched them and put them 5th on the depth chart and forced these moves.

Perhaps, maybe they are going to let the situation cool down a little over the weekend. By not playing Saturday, that leaves his options of red shirt or transfer open. Right?? There seems to be a lot of confusion over the new transfer rules. Maybe the coaches said, "hey stay home so you have your options and we will walk through and talk about your options when we get back". Just a thought

It isn't a Frost thing or a Riley thing. It is becoming obvious it is just a "me" generation thing. Man can you imagine being an employer when this generation is full go into the work force? No raise? I quit. No promotion? I quit. No 2 month vacation? I quit. No 3 hour lunch break? I quit. Its going to be a revolving door for most of the employers in this country.

Not sure a guy that can't get grades out of HS and has to go juco is worrying about promotions in the future. I think this is a desperation thing. He needs to go to the NFL in the next few years or else......being passed up by 2-3-4 backs means he will have no chance to showcase. The guys who buy in to team are most likely those who do not need the NFL...those guys who are desperate for this thing to work out are going to really struggle to be patient and this is compounded as they get older.

Reactions: husker2612
What exactly is the staff doing to rid the team of shutting down and quitting? I am not following. Lindsay was in the same position as a back up to Spielman, Bell was still going to get reps. It isn't like they benched them and put them 5th on the depth chart and forced these moves.

They both were demoted

Has he announced anything? Maybe its an as of yet unannounced game suspension for violating a team rule or a take the weekend and think about whether you want to be here situation if he is still on the roster and hasn't announced he is leaving. If he thought he was only going to be here one year, maybe he tried to pull a Nate Gerry and has been skipping classes.

fwiw---listening to sipple on gb. stated he interviewed bell and walked away with the feeling he was not engaged with the program. also, does not believe he was a "big ten" running back.

Yeah - on one hand, it’s great for us to thump our chest and say “get on board or GTFO!!!”. But it’s fair to question why we’ve had the number of players choosing the latter. We’re not entitled to full transparency to the inner workings of the team - which adds to the frustration.

I’m not sure where I’m going with this....I guess I’m hoping that this is a painful but necessary house-cleaning experience, and not a sign of something worse.

Wow, that's a first. The recurring knock on Bell has been how slow he looks, and the recurring praise is how fast Washington is. If I had to choose between which of the two belonged at this level, it would certainly not be Bell.

That being said, he produced more than other teammates that left, so this one does hurt more.

Wow is right. Because he was caught from behind on a couple plays, when he was stumbling after getting hit, he's slow? You must not be paying much attention at all, because Bell doesn't look even remotely slow going through the hole. He and Ozigbo are by far the quickest of our backs hitting the hole and getting through it. And 3rd is a distant 3rd.

Although I don't think Bell is a burner, he has adequate speed. Frost was quoted as saying "he has a special gear," but his quickness in hitting the hole and vision is where he excels.

200.gif

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
I have zero concern about this development. In any team, group,organization, etc. everybody involved knows (at least in their hearts) who the stars are, the heavy lifters, the workmen, the rah rahs, the can dos, the malcontents, the laggards, and the incompetents. In my experience, the most dangerous people to the group are the malcontents because they often, consciously or not spread the discontent. This is Frost's team, if he wants to use whatever means to purge the malcontents, he is IMHO enduring the bad medicine now for the cure later.

JUCO All American...lol. Dude is going nowhere. He's not fast or shifty and he cant even beat out the other average backs on his team.

He's a nobody....just like a good of the players on this squad.

Sometimes I think people here aren't watching any other football college football games. This team's talent level, especially along the LOS, is abysmal.

I've seen some people that know absolutely nothing about football talent, but these comments take the cake. But oh yes, you know much more than those that choose the JUCO All American team, those that had him ranked as the #1 JUCO RB, Scott Frost, and the rest of our coaching staff for offering him a scholarship.

I stand corrected. For any future recruits, I'll consult you first. I would suspect Frost and his staff will too.

That would be awkward.

But it's probably not a good sign that he retweeted this.

Yeah, don't forget the second part of the story, the clemson starter was injured last game and they had to go to a freshman off the bench and somehow pulled the game out for clemson; Syracuse had them on the ropes big time....if kelly bryant would have stuck around he could have been the hero

Yeah, don't forget the second part of the story, the clemson starter was injured last game and they had to go to a freshman off the bench and somehow pulled the game out for clemson; Syracuse had them on the ropes big time....if kelly bryant would have stuck around he could have been the hero

Long term goals outweigh short term. Sticking around to be the one game or two game hero vs having an entire season somewhere else. Not that tough of a call.

Who was the other JUCO to exit? I'm drawing a blank.

Don't remember his name but he was a late pickup this summer and left before the season started when he was like 3rd or 4th string at DB. His position coach called him a slow blinker if that jogs your memory.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT