ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Bell Quit the Team

I'll say again what I've said before about this staff: They'd do well to learn a little more coach speak. Their mouths and their balls are running a little faster than their brains sometimes.

All this tell it like it is, if you ask me honestly how a kid is doing I'll honestly shit on him right in the paper is not helping their cause. A lack of negativity is not what ails this team. I'm sure they've got DMs full of drunk idiots from Hyannis telling them they suck, I really doubt what's missing in their life is one more person to hate on them.

You don't have to lie but bro, you don't have to talk so much. You get asked about a kid who's struggling, say he's coming along, he's had a lot thrown at him, you have high hopes for him, next question. You start going in about him getting caught from behind or questioning his heart now you're doing that for you, not for him.

Because I know you'd have a problem if he had words for reporters about what you don't do well as a coach, so maybe you need to show some respect to earn some respect. I don't remember any NU position coaches being like, "Yeah Ryan Held is nothing special and he's not ever going to see meaningful game action" during an interview.

True, effective leaders understand something: Praise is public, criticism is private.

You got something to say to a kid, say it to him directly. You drag him in your interviews and now you're just rubbing salt in the wound and begging to rally kids against you. Everybody knows Lamar Jackson hasn't figured it out yet. I don't need to hear his position coach dog him for the microphones to understand why Eric Lee is starting this week.

With all the full-time staff the Athletic Department has at its disposal, including team psychologists, you'd think they could find a way to have some success reaching guys.

This one player is not the end of the world but Greg Bell is too talented and was getting too many reps to just lose him off your roster like that. You gotta be able to love the kids as hard as you work them sometimes when they get in their feelings.
Exactly...

Isn't it weird that the people complaining about the "me" generation are the parents of those "me" personalities.

I think the managers and the CEOs need to deal with these individuals. They created them.

Well to be fair too some of us ;)it’s our kids children who are the ones who feel they have certain entitlements..Winking

I'll say again what I've said before about this staff: They'd do well to learn a little more coach speak. Their mouths and their balls are running a little faster than their brains sometimes.

All this tell it like it is, if you ask me honestly how a kid is doing I'll honestly shit on him right in the paper is not helping their cause. A lack of negativity is not what ails this team. I'm sure they've got DMs full of drunk idiots from Hyannis telling them they suck, I really doubt what's missing in their life is one more person to hate on them.

You don't have to lie but bro, you don't have to talk so much. You get asked about a kid who's struggling, say he's coming along, he's had a lot thrown at him, you have high hopes for him, next question. You start going in about him getting caught from behind or questioning his heart now you're doing that for you, not for him.

Because I know you'd have a problem if he had words for reporters about what you don't do well as a coach, so maybe you need to show some respect to earn some respect. I don't remember any NU position coaches being like, "Yeah Ryan Held is nothing special and he's not ever going to see meaningful game action" during an interview.

True, effective leaders understand something: Praise is public, criticism is private.

You got something to say to a kid, say it to him directly. You drag him in your interviews and now you're just rubbing salt in the wound and begging to rally kids against you. Everybody knows Lamar Jackson hasn't figured it out yet. I don't need to hear his position coach dog him for the microphones to understand why Eric Lee is starting this week.

With all the full-time staff the Athletic Department has at its disposal, including team psychologists, you'd think they could find a way to have some success reaching guys.

This one player is not the end of the world but Greg Bell is too talented and was getting too many reps to just lose him off your roster like that. You gotta be able to love the kids as hard as you work them sometimes when they get in their feelings.

"True, effective leaders understand something: Praise is public, criticism is private."

^^^^ This X1000!! As coaches, just don't talk about players' struggles in public...period! Leave that BS for us know-it-all forum posters..

Seems like hes getting passed on the depth chart and isnt happy about it... Held said as much....

And Held should just STFU about how players react to bad news! Just shut up, coach them up, and leave the personal crap out of your comments. That is coaching 101. The most amateur of coaches knows this. Hell, the most amateur of husbands and wives know this. Don't display your dirty laundry.

Yeah...and I didn't mean it in a negative way...It just seemed like the timing was off. I have coached for years and hundreds of games...one of the guys I coach with now pretty much ends each practice with the old "If you don't want to be here, leave" speech...There is a time and place.
Yes there is a time and place. I don't know if now is the time. These players just seem to be looking for a reason to leave. However Maybe his though process is, lets not delay the inevitable. Clean house as quickly as possible, see what we have left, and recruit to fill the gaps.

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying, but I think hey are also setting the culture no matter what happens this year.

In subsequent years, recruits are going to know what the expectation level is. There’s no sugarcoating it. If this leads to us getting good players who come in ready to fight tooth and nail for everything they get, and fight even harder if they lose it, it will be worth it.

I just hope they can find enough of those kids of players...
Exactly! Coaches need to put the blinders on and push forward despite the noise outside and any player resistance inside the program. Change can be painful but things will slowly shape up over the next few years.

36797787740_aef74e03cc_b.jpg

And Held should just STFU about how players react to bad news! Just shut up, coach them up, and leave the personal crap out of your comments. That is coaching 101. The most amateur of coaches knows this. Hell, the most amateur of husbands and wives know this. Don't display your dirty laundry.
I could be way wrong, and I don't know if I 100% agree with how they are going about it. I think these coaches are doing this on purpose. They want to see who is mentally strong on this very mentally weak team. They want to weed out the ones who can't handle it. Whoever is left they know is mentally tough and can make it. Then they know where they need to recruit to fill the gaps. Hopefully this all equals much quicker turn around vs just letting things play out on its own.

Too talented?..... he's average... there is nothiing special about his talent....at all.

If this means Washington is closer to being an every down back then cool. Ozigbo showed more in one game than Bell did in 4 games.

Best of luck to Bell but I will never understand a juco recruit transferring especially a running back. He says he wants to play in the NFL but is shortening his window by transferring.

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying, but I think hey are also setting the culture no matter what happens this year.

In subsequent years, recruits are going to know what the expectation level is. There’s no sugarcoating it. If this leads to us getting good players who come in ready to fight tooth and nail for everything they get, and fight even harder if they lose it, it will be worth it.

I get it with them wanting to set the culture, but I feel like they're trying to sprint before they can crawl. They don't have the players to be on that hardass mode of "If you don't like it GTFO."

Team is suffering from a serious case of ain't won a game and not enough talent and every time they run off another of their most talented players, the remedy to that illness gets further away. Some of the guys who are good enough to have options to go to another team that won't lose so much are going to exercise that option.

I said at least a week ago it's time for them to shut their mouths about most things and just go hit the weights and the sleds and get better at football. They keep fanning the flames and gassing the fire of all this drama of "so and so doesn't work hard enough or doesn't wanna be here." Like...you're not supposed to rip the band-aid off if the cut is still bleeding. It's like Pelini's us-against-the-world BS is back expect the world isn't the fans this time, it's their own teammates.

Now you're seeing guys go, "you know what? You're right, I don't wanna be here. Bye." And whoopsie daisy, it's the guys who they had the highest hopes of being impact players. That only makes them more likely to lose the next game and continue that illness.

If this means Washington is closer to being an every down back then cool. Ozigbo showed more in one game than Bell did in 4 games.

Best of luck to Bell but I will never understand a juco recruit transferring especially a running back. He says he wants to play in the NFL but is shortening his window by transferring.

They exception Mike Rozier.

AMEN!

Yes, it's too late to "withdraw" from classes and too late to enroll at any potential schools with quarter or trimester systems. So if he doesn't finish out the semester, he'll receive F's. They won't be able to transfer academically (or at least remain in good academic standing) until after the semester ends. Same for Tyjon Lindsey.

The transcript will read "w" not an "F".... No credits earned, but it doesn't effect your GPA. Gotta pass 70% of your attempted classes to qualify for financial aid however.

Dumb decision however you look at it, in my opinion.

Reactions: TheBeav815
You're right...they must have just given him that JUCO All American status because of his wit and charm.

JUCO All American...lol. Dude is going nowhere. He's not fast or shifty and he cant even beat out the other average backs on his team.

He's a nobody....just like a good of the players on this squad.

Sometimes I think people here aren't watching any other football college football games. This team's talent level, especially along the LOS, is abysmal.

You're right...they must have just given him that JUCO All American status because of his wit and charm.
Consistently impressive how many people on this board are NFL scouts. I'm just glad somebody sees through the lie of him being the #1 JUCO RB coming out and the staff wanting him in the first place.

You heard it here first, the staff signs and starts totally average players. It couldn't be that he's been a little bit hurt and this staff doesn't talk about injuries even though they'll happily blab on about every other little thing that's wrong with a player. How sick he is (allegedly), how much fight he's showing, which plays he screwed up on, how he feels about getting benched...but good thing we don't tell anyone when a guy tweaks an ankle or pulls a hammy.

The transcript will read "w" not an "F".... No credits earned, but it doesn't effect your GPA. Gotta pass 70% of your attempted classes to qualify for financial aid however.

Do they have to meet progress-towards-degree requirements (40-60-80 rule)? If they do, then dropping a whole semester of classes might hinder that (depending on their fall course load).

I don't get it so say he's the most talented back we have, on paper? Seems to me the kid didn't want to earn his starting job back just figured he was due. When he had two break away runs against Colorado and got caught I was disappointed way over hyped, I thought he might have had one against Troy also not for sure. good luck to the kid maybe the next school he won't have to work for his starting position

It's almost as if D-I defenses are faster than the defenses at community colleges in the middle of nowhere Arizona.

Perhaps there's a reason his only offer out of high school was San Diego State?

Reactions: husker2612

Was using the article on Lindsey's departure...

"Even quarters system schools on the West Coast have started classes by now, so Lindsey or other players transferring now cannot move now and enroll elsewhere midsemester. Given the point in the semester, Lindsey can’t drop his classes here without failing them and thus will have to finish his coursework here this semester."

I couldnt care less about what the coaches say... They are running the program as they see fit.... At the end of the day, if the kid got passed on the chart and doesnt want to compete and earn the spot back then the program is better of without him....

I guess we need to get back to ice cream with sprinkles

Well, this is a kick in the nuts. Walked out to the car on break thinking that we might have a shot this weekend and check the news and see yet another sign that the wheels are falling off for this coaching staff. Get it together!

Then we better figure out how to deal with this generation because it isn’t going away.

Sadly it would probably take a major war to straighten things out or like you said we have to figure out how to deal with it.

It's almost as if D-I defenses are faster than the defenses at community colleges in the middle of nowhere Arizona.

Perhaps there's a reason his only offer out of high school was San Diego State?

Ok, I guess I'm confused again. I don't have time right now to go back and check all the posts, but I am pretty sure, some of you all that are devaluing the JUCO level of play, were calling for the staff to load up on JUCOs in order to flip the roster.

Not calling you out specifically Harry Caray, just people in general.

ADVERTISEMENT