ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Bell Quit the Team

Only reason why Bell had carries against Purdue was because Mo W. Was unavailable because of an illness.

Sorry, I don't believe that to be the case. Bell was ahead of Washington on the depth chart, and he should have been. Washington doesn't have the burst that Bell has. Not saying he won't, but he doesn't right now.

I have sort of felt that Frost went to the "you are in or out" card a bit early in the season...
I was watching Damon Benning on Big Red Wrap up. He said something that stuck. Something like, "Sometimes it isn't about planting your feet and saying, do it my way or else. Sometime with some players you have to say, how can we make it work with what we have. "

Yeah, I cringed when he said that he only hoped to be here for one year and then go pro. That seemed to go against the type of attitude that Frost preaches.

Hopefully Dedrick Mills actually lives up to the hype next year. Rahmir Johnson is a stud. This is one position I don't worry too much about in terms of depth.
As long as Held is here we are going to be loaded at RB talent wise.

Isn't it weird that the people complaining about the "me" generation are the parents of those "me" personalities.

I think the managers and the CEOs need to deal with these individuals. They created them.
I complaining about them and I am very close to being them. Maybe I was raised a bit old fashioned for my time.

FWIW LJS doesn’t say he has transferred yet, just that he isn’t going to travel. I assume he’s gone, but who knows.

Reactions: nu2u
Quite honestly, just watching film. Dedrick Mills>Greg Bell. Not saying we don’t need Bell. But, if we can keep Washington happy I like him and Mills next year more than I do Bell.

Ozigbo was buried on the depth chart for years, yet he stuck with it and worked harder and now he's #1. It's not a generational thing, it's an individual thing. Some people are tougher than others. Unfortunately, we don't seem to have many of the tough ones on our roster right now.

I didn't see anything special about Bell on the field. He looked slow to me (we probably beat Colorado if he didn't get caught from behind a couple times when he should have broken it). He didn't protect the ball well. Wasn't that elusive. He's not a difference-maker. I wish him well, but I don't understand this transferring in the middle of the season/semester thing. Are they still going to stick around to finish their classes? Or are they just going to waste a semester academically?

I was watching Damon Benning on Big Red Wrap up. He said something that stuck. Something like, "Sometimes it isn't about planting your feet and saying, do it my way or else. Sometime with some players you have to say, how can we make it work with what we have. "
Yeah...and I didn't mean it in a negative way...It just seemed like the timing was off. I have coached for years and hundreds of games...one of the guys I coach with now pretty much ends each practice with the old "If you don't want to be here, leave" speech...There is a time and place.

Reactions: husker2612
Quite honestly, just watching film. Dedrick Mills>Greg Bell. Not saying we don’t need Bell. But, if we can keep Washington happy I like him and Mills next year more than I do Bell.

You're watching a highlight video to make comparisons? C'mon man.

Haven't watched Mills video recently, but I know Bell was overall our best RB at the start of the season for a reason. He runs hard, has good vision and good jukes. Not sure what has happened lately, or if he has an undisclosed injury, but he looked very solid early this year.

Yeah...and I didn't mean it in a negative way...It just seemed like the timing was off. I have coached for years and hundreds of games...one of the guys I coach with now pretty much ends each practice with the old "If you don't want to be here, leave" speech...There is a time and place.

I agree. I know I have said this a bunch lately but when you don't have the depth you want, it is hard to create the culture you want.

If you have a couple of position groups that has the necessary depth, and you can demote players who aren't buying in, then you have a couple of position groups that don't have the depth and you can't demote, it creates mixed messages on the team. That never goes well.

Since we seem to some UCF fans that still post here, maybe one can answer this: how many transfers did Frost have his first year at UCF? How many guys didn't buy-in?

Haven't watched Mills video recently, but I know Bell was overall our best RB at the start of the season for a reason. He runs hard, has good vision and good jukes. Not sure what has happened lately, or if he has an undisclosed injury, but he looked very solid early this year.
I’m not going down to Garden City so it’s all I have to go off of. And no, not just highlights. I watched a few of Ga Tech’s games while Mills was there and thought he was a stud.

I wish him well, but I don't understand this transferring in the middle of the season/semester thing. Are they still going to stick around to finish their classes? Or are they just going to waste a semester academically?
Yes, it's too late to "withdraw" from classes and too late to enroll at any potential schools with quarter or trimester systems. So if he doesn't finish out the semester, he'll receive F's. They won't be able to transfer academically (or at least remain in good academic standing) until after the semester ends. Same for Tyjon Lindsey.

He had a great game against Colorado, Troy wasn't terrible either. Something happened after that.

I’m not going down to Garden City so it’s all I have to go off of. And no, not just highlights. I watched a few of Ga Tech’s games while Mills was there and thought he was a stud.

He looks good, but this loss of Bell is a huge downer for this year. This kid was good. Very good. And next year is next year. I'm not sure what led to his demotion, and if it was injury related or behavior related, but this one hurts.

I couldn't care less if Tyjon Lindsey left, because he had become more of a liability than asset, but we are a much less talented RB corps without Bell.

Reactions: TheBeav815
I'll say again what I've said before about this staff: They'd do well to learn a little more coach speak. Their mouths and their balls are running a little faster than their brains sometimes.

All this tell it like it is, if you ask me honestly how a kid is doing I'll honestly shit on him right in the paper is not helping their cause. A lack of negativity is not what ails this team. I'm sure they've got DMs full of drunk idiots from Hyannis telling them they suck, I really doubt what's missing in their life is one more person to hate on them.

You don't have to lie but bro, you don't have to talk so much. You get asked about a kid who's struggling, say he's coming along, he's had a lot thrown at him, you have high hopes for him, next question. You start going in about him getting caught from behind or questioning his heart now you're doing that for you, not for him.

Because I know you'd have a problem if he had words for reporters about what you don't do well as a coach, so maybe you need to show some respect to earn some respect. I don't remember any NU position coaches being like, "Yeah Ryan Held is nothing special and he's not ever going to see meaningful game action" during an interview.

True, effective leaders understand something: Praise is public, criticism is private.

You got something to say to a kid, say it to him directly. You drag him in your interviews and now you're just rubbing salt in the wound and begging to rally kids against you. Everybody knows Lamar Jackson hasn't figured it out yet. I don't need to hear his position coach dog him for the microphones to understand why Eric Lee is starting this week.

With all the full-time staff the Athletic Department has at its disposal, including team psychologists, you'd think they could find a way to have some success reaching guys.

This one player is not the end of the world but Greg Bell is too talented and was getting too many reps to just lose him off your roster like that. You gotta be able to love the kids as hard as you work them sometimes when they get in their feelings.

He had a great game against Colorado, Troy wasn't terrible either. Something happened after that.

Two more losses happened and at that point he decided that this wasn't what he signed up for.

The combination of the 4-game redshirt rule (which I believe in the long run is a good thing), combined with the 0-4 start is just helping weed out the ones who don't really want to be here. In Bell's situation, he was a highly touted JUCO RB coming into a system that just went undefeated, and he saw that as he could come in here, have a good year, and that writes his ticket...now that things aren't going as planned, he's jumping ship.

Yeah, it seems like something changed. I know...going against Michigan's defense vs Colorado's is a distinct difference, but none of our backs could run against Michigan. I don't get why this happened.

Reactions: huskerfan66
NCAA really needs to modify the new 4-game redshirt rule this offseason.

Fantastic rule with great intentions, but this is definitely an unforeseen consequence.

#findtheloophole

Do you really want to keep players who don't want to be on the team? When I had employees and they expressed a desire to leave I thanked them for their service. I told them that they would be paid through the end of the month and that they could leave immediately. Mentally they had already moved on so why keep them around? Nothing good could come from their presence once they decided to leave.

Is Bell gone for sure? Lincoln SJ did not state he had left the team for sure only that he was not travelling with the team to Wisconsin. Sounds like he is gone, but as I remember his mom was involved with his recruitment. Mom may tell him to get his butt back to the team.

A lot of factors at work here... none of them good. Very little depth, a complete scheme change, players conditioned to accept losing, and YES - a fairly inexperienced head coach who maybe doesn't know everything. Seems pretty obvious that Coach Frost is doing some on-the-job training. And I'm fine with that. I think he is suited to weather the storm because of who he is, but its going to be a rocky road. I can't think of a program in recent history that needs ONE FREAKING WIN more than the Huskers at this moment. I keep thinking, it's gonna happen.... right??

Reactions: headcard
The sooner we strip out the rot, the sooner we can start building back up.

These kids aren't going to get anywhere in life is they don't sack up and fight through some things. Coaches are doing them no favors coddling them and are actually doing great damage to them. Once they get past their sports careers, they will get smacked in the face in ways that their physical prowess will be of no benefit to them to deal with. Their are tons of examples of premier athletes who had no idea how to live life after the applause stopped.

A lot of factors at work here... none of them good. Very little depth, a complete scheme change, players conditioned to accept losing, and YES - a fairly inexperienced head coach who maybe doesn't know everything. Seems pretty obvious that Coach Frost is doing some on-the-job training. And I'm fine with that. I think he is suited to weather the storm because of who he is, but its going to be a rocky road. I can't think of a program in recent history that needs ONE FREAKING WIN more than the Huskers at this moment. I keep thinking, it's gonna happen.... right??
It will happen, but not yet, not yet!

I'll say again what I've said before about this staff: They'd do well to learn a little more coach speak. Their mouths and their balls are running a little faster than their brains sometimes.

All this tell it like it is, if you ask me honestly how a kid is doing I'll honestly shit on him right in the paper is not helping their cause. A lack of negativity is not what ails this team. I'm sure they've got DMs full of drunk idiots from Hyannis telling them they suck, I really doubt what's missing in their life is one more person to hate on them.

You don't have to lie but bro, you don't have to talk so much. You get asked about a kid who's struggling, say he's coming along, he's had a lot thrown at him, you have high hopes for him, next question. You start going in about him getting caught from behind or questioning his heart now you're doing that for you, not for him.

Because I know you'd have a problem if he had words for reporters about what you don't do well as a coach, so maybe you need to show some respect to earn some respect. I don't remember any NU position coaches being like, "Yeah Ryan Held is nothing special and he's not ever going to see meaningful game action" during an interview.

True, effective leaders understand something: Praise is public, criticism is private.

You got something to say to a kid, say it to him directly. You drag him in your interviews and now you're just rubbing salt in the wound and begging to rally kids against you. Everybody knows Lamar Jackson hasn't figured it out yet. I don't need to hear his position coach dog him for the microphones to understand why Eric Lee is starting this week.

With all the full-time staff the Athletic Department has at its disposal, including team psychologists, you'd think they could find a way to have some success reaching guys.

This one player is not the end of the world but Greg Bell is too talented and was getting too many reps to just lose him off your roster like that. You gotta be able to love the kids as hard as you work them sometimes when they get in their feelings.
I agree with a lot of what you’re saying, but I think hey are also setting the culture no matter what happens this year.

In subsequent years, recruits are going to know what the expectation level is. There’s no sugarcoating it. If this leads to us getting good players who come in ready to fight tooth and nail for everything they get, and fight even harder if they lose it, it will be worth it.

I just hope they can find enough of those kids of players...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT