ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Austin says he has nine

They must be;

Corcoran - Pieper - Jurgens - Sichterman - Bendorf
Banks - Nouili - Hixson - Banks - Ezra Miller

Thanks. Good insight in to the O line and an interesting comment about Yant. Nouilli is working well at left tackle? That was news to me but it's nice to have that depth there. It's probably better to have a guy like that ready to go than to have to juggle your O line if somebody went down there.

They must be;

This was a strange quote from the article:

"Hickman is down to 205 pounds presently and fighting to get his weight back up to where Beckton wants him at moving forward. Beckton said Hickman’s willingness as a blocker is a mentality he hopes everyone in his room learns to adopt moving forward."

They must be;

Wonder what he said his number was last year...

If he said any more than 4, then you know he's full of crap moving forward.

"Hickman is down to 205 pounds presently and fighting to get his weight back up to where Beckton wants him at moving forward. Beckton said Hickman’s willingness as a blocker is a mentality he hopes everyone in his room learns to adopt moving forward."
We needed him at WR last year for obvious reasons. Originally they thought he would grow in to a TE but even though he has the frame etc to do that, he's had difficulty putting weight on. He's likely going to be a tweener his whole career but IF he can get to say 230 it gives us an option as a guy who can be in the game and play tight or split out. Kind of a tweener. Not big enough for a full blown TE and not fast enough for a wide out unless he's matched against a LBer maybe.

Also interesting to learn that Sichterman is a computer program. Dammit, those robots are taking ALL our jobs!
I laughed when I saw that. Real smart guy. And he was just an almost skinny kid when he arrived here. Now he has an impressive build. Same for Ben Stille. Two of my favorite Huskers.

Last edited:
No Bando?
I don't think he's in the mix as a potential starter at this point. I think the guys listed are. Bando will likely be a backup but a guy who could come in and play in the event of injuries from what I surmise. It could also be nothing more than a brain fart about one guy.

What a bunch of crap. The season will go along and we will see the same starting five dudes playing and it won't matter if they're whiffing on blocks, missing assignments, snapping the ball over the QBs head, false starts, holding penalties and laziness. Same garbage every year.

What a bunch of crap. The season will go along and we will see the same starting five dudes playing and it won't matter if they're whiffing on blocks, missing assignments, snapping the ball over the QBs head, false starts, holding penalties and laziness. Same garbage every year.

I would take Corcoran, Piper, Jurgens, Sichtermann and Benhart playing 80% of snaps. I also think we have at least 8 legit Big Ten lineman and expect at least 7 to play in a rotation. Haven't had Oline depth like this in ten years.

Hell of a lot better than having 2 game ready big ten lineman at best to begin 2019 or playing three freshman like last year.

People can wine and talk about drinking the kool-Aid but this will be a legit top half of the league Big Ten line and we simply haven't had that in a long time.

Reactions: bshirt73
We have 9 that are ready to play in games, we almost have a full 1st and 2nd team there. When Osborne was here, we had 3 full that were game ready. That's not to say that isn't coming though.

He's a non-factor. Highly doubt he ever gets significant playing time.

I don't think he's in the mix as a potential starter at this point. I think the guys listed are. Bando will likely be a backup but a guy who could come in and play in the event of injuries from what I surmise. It could also be nothing more than a brain fart about one guy.
Bando has been working with the 1's, apparently ahead if Piper according to another article.

Big difference between talk and performance. We have had a lot of one and not much of the other. When we have 9 who are interchangeable and can all play, I will be impressed.

We needed him at WR last year for obvious reasons. Originally they thought he would grow in to a TE but even though he has the frame etc to do that, he's had difficulty putting weight on. He's likely going to be a tweener his whole career but IF he can get to say 230 it gives us an option as a guy who can be in the game and play tight or split out. Kind of a tweener. Not big enough for a full blown TE and not fast enough for a wide out unless he's matched against a LBer maybe.

Guess I should have just quoted this part: "Beckton said Hickman’s willingness as a blocker is a mentality he hopes everyone in his room learns to adopt moving forward."

Not what I was hoping to hear from our TE room given Hickman's blocking on the goal line last season. Guess it means our TEs are a couple of soy milkshakes away from joining the volleyball team.

Yep. We won’t see any improvement until all of that gets fixed. Most of it can be fixed by the players themselves. Good enough doesn’t cut it in high level sports or anything you do in life if you are trying to take things to another level.

Reactions: Chuck003
Anyone here anything on Alex Conn, the big Olineman from Derby, Ks
i think he got hurt had surgery and now i'm guessing we probably will never see much of him on the field. There are too many good options established already and they are young. If you aren't a current starter you aren't going to have much of a career here because the starters have so much eligibility left. i think i read somewhere on here that Frost signed more OLs in his first 3 years than any school in the league. Conn would have a better chance if he went back home to one of the KS schools.

i think he got hurt had surgery and now i'm guessing we probably will never see much of him on the field. There are too many good options established already and they are young. If you aren't a current starter you aren't going to have much of a career here because the starters have so much eligibility left. i think i read somewhere on here that Frost signed more OLs in his first 3 years than any school in the league. Conn would have a better chance if he went back home to one of the KS schools.
considering the depth of good posters here, I'm surprised you haven't decided to transfer to a shallower pool.

must've bought into what someone was selling without considering what it meant for your personal posting future. sad!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: cubsker and timnsun
Damn, writing him off already

Looks like Teddy Prochazka is a bust if he can't make the two deep yet. :)
nobody was called a bust. but there are only 5 starting OLs on any team. i would guess only on average about 7 OLs play in most games. I'm just stating truths. If Corcoran, Benhart, Jurgens, Piper, whoever are the starting 5 this year it is VERY LIKELY they will remain the starters for the next 3-4 years. Not a guarantee but a pretty solid bet. Doesn't mean the other 7-8 OLs are busts. It just means they aren't going to play much over the next 3-4 years. So if they want to play they might consider transferring somewhere the starters will be leaving soon. I dont think there is anything controversial or debatable about those thoughts. Frost signed a ton of OLs in a short amount of time. And he signed a bunch of good ones. Honestly they should leave if they are interested in playing college ball. Thats what they do in basketball. When they see the writing on the wall they transfer to a situation that gives them a better chance to play. i dont think there's anything wrong with it.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
nobody was called a bust. but there are only 5 starting OLs on any team. i would guess only on average about 7 OLs play in most games. I'm just stating truths. If Corcoran, Benhart, Jurgens, Piper, whoever are the starting 5 this year it is VERY LIKELY they will remain the starters for the next 3-4 years. Not a guarantee but a pretty solid bet. Doesn't mean the other 7-8 OLs are busts. It just means they aren't going to play much over the next 3-4 years. So if they want to play they might consider transferring somewhere the starters will be leaving soon. I dont think there is anything controversial or debatable about those thoughts. Frost signed a ton of OLs in a short amount of time. And he signed a bunch of good ones. Honestly they should leave if they are interested in playing college ball. Thats what they do in basketball. When they see the writing on the wall they transfer to a situation that gives them a better chance to play. i dont think there's anything wrong with it.
When Tom was coach, the OLine starters didn’t play every down. There’s no reason to expect this team to play only the starters every down either, unless the depth isn’t there. But as you are pointing out, the depth is there unless you get you wish and every backup transfers.

The way you talk so often about transfers, it’s amazing to me we have more than 30 scholarship guys on the team. The other 55 won’t see playing time and should leave.

Do you realize how silly you sound saying guys should transfer in just about every thread?

If you're tall skinny and slow, Football might not be your sport.

If you're tall skinny and slow, Football might not be your sport.
He purposefully dropped weight according to his position coach to try to be quicker at WR. They want him to put back on about 20 to 25 lbs is all. They'll line him up as a TE and then split him out to try to create mismatches. They would have been doing the same with Fidone this fall.

You don’t think guys like Jurgens, Benhart and Corcoran will leave early to the NFL? All three have a great shot within 2 years

ADVERTISEMENT