ADVERTISEMENT

Green in the portal

Gotta be honest. Our player development sucks. Big time. Green is just another example. We all can just throw out the “he’s a bust,” but basically, another statistic against this staff.
Not everyone is going to make it, it’s the nature of the beast. If Green is a negative against the staff, then guys like Stille and Rogers are positives.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Not everyone is going to make it, it’s the nature of the beast. If Green is a negative against the staff, then guys like Stille and Rogers are positives.
There are many other negatives. Our development sucks. Stille has moments. But not where he should be. And I wouldn’t call Rogers a success yet, based on performance, or past history.

Reactions: oldjar07
Gonna just disagree. If he is really good he should land in a good spot from the portal, agree?
He'll land somewhere fairly good I would guess just based on his size and physical maturity. Somebody is going to need a big body for a couple of years. I have no problems with us having taken him and I have no problems with him leaving now. He looked like the kind of body we needed when we signed him but it seems maybe his work ethic wasn't where it needed to be.

i have not done an evaluation just going by perception which may not be reality but NEB has a lot of high 3 star and 4 star recruits to have such a dismal record under Frost. Recruiting could not have been expected to be any better than it is. The results have not matched up with the rankings of the players.
i imagine NEB probably has the 4th highest rated overall player ranking in the B10 and would probably have the 3rd highest in the B12. When recruits sign here they are signing up behind very good players. NEB may be providing the fewest wins per star ranking in the country. the media likes to call out texas for getting the least with the most but they still win a lot of games. i think there is an argument NEB actually gets the least from the most. it really does prove there is nothing else to do or watch in NEB other than husker fb. people are getting duped out of a shit ton of money.
NEB gets good recruits and is top 10 in player resources and money too. but results are near bottom 10

OK. So you just want to bitch, that’s fine. But Green is a poor example.
Dude, this season has been an severe disappointment. I think we all have the right to bitch, at least a little bit. I know there is not gonna be any coaching change, but player development seems to be a big issue with us. This is just another example. I hope things get better, but 3 years in with the same stuff, I hope things change and get better, but I feel like im just waiting till the contract ends.

Reactions: oldjar07
i have not done an evaluation just going by perception which may not be reality but NEB has a lot of high 3 star and 4 star recruits to have such a dismal record under Frost. Recruiting could not have been expected to be any better than it is. The results have not matched up with the rankings of the players.
i imagine NEB probably has the 4th highest rated overall player ranking in the B10 and would probably have the 3rd highest in the B12. When recruits sign here they are signing up behind very good players. NEB may be providing the fewest wins per star ranking in the country. the media likes to call out texas for getting the least with the most but they still win a lot of games. i think there is an argument NEB actually gets the least from the most. it really does prove there is nothing else to do or watch in NEB other than husker fb. people are getting duped out of a shit ton of money.
NEB gets good recruits and is top 10 in player resources and money too. but results are near bottom 10

Nebraska has had 3 head coaches in seven years. They have switched from spread to pro style and back back to the spread . They have switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Players have left because of the coaching change and have left because they didn’t fit when schemes changed. Those things have done a number on the recruiting classes that started off with a decent ranking.

Nebraska has had 3 head coaches in seven years. They have switched from spread to pro style and back back to the spread . They have switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Players have left because of the coaching change and have left because they didn’t fit when schemes changed. Those things have done a number on the recruiting classes that started off with a decent ranking.
Some of that no doubt factored in. IMO, the biggest problem were the reaches that Frost needed to take in that first abbreviated class. He took some high risk guys that I don't think he would touch with a 10 foot pole today and they're gone. The good news for me as I've been saying for months is that it APPEARS to me that the most talented kids on this team are largely in these last 2 classes. I think there are going to be some studs in those classes when those guys are juniors and seniors.

Some of that no doubt factored in. IMO, the biggest problem were the reaches that Frost needed to take in that first abbreviated class. He took some high risk guys that I don't think he would touch with a 10 foot pole today and they're gone. The good news for me as I've been saying for months is that it APPEARS to me that the most talented kids on this team are largely in these last 2 classes. I think there are going to be some studs in those classes when those guys are juniors and seniors.

The 2018 class threw together in a couple weeks turned out to be almost completely a dud. In addition basically no one is left from the 2017 class.

Just flat out wrong. Green has shown nothing to deserve more PT. Your love to hate on Ty is also wrong. For others in this thread, this guy was headed to the SEC but for some JC class. Green is a bust. Sometimes it's on the player.
Ty hasn't shown that he deserves playing time either. As someone else mentioned, we have a player development issue. I'm not going to say Green was an All-star, but he was one of the fastest and most athletically gifted guys on the Dline and it hurts us that he left.

Desperation move. Jucos must make an immediate impact or they rarely are worth it. Blown opportunity.

Reactions: ATX Husker
Gotta be honest. Our player development sucks. Big time. Green is just another example. We all can just throw out the “he’s a bust,” but basically, another statistic against this staff.
Exactly this. Stille finally started living up to his potential the final couple games of this season. Other than that, he played well below his talent level for most of his time here. And that's one of the biggest success stories of this staff. Other than him, we don't really know what kind of potential some of these guys have because they never got developed.

Ty hasn't shown that he deserves playing time either. As someone else mentioned, we have a player development issue. I'm not going to say Green was an All-star, but he was one of the fastest and most athletically gifted guys on the Dline and it hurts us that he left.
If he is so gifted he should land on his feet in a very good spot right? It would seem odd that such a stud would play four downs in the last four games and not garner a snap against Rutgers. And you can bag on development with this staff all you want but that doesn’t hold a lot of water with our dline for anyone paying attention.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
There are many other negatives. Our development sucks. Stille has moments. But not where he should be. And I wouldn’t call Rogers a success yet, based on performance, or past history.
Why would you want to stay somewhere you aren't being developed and aren't getting any playing time? It's hard to blame kids for leaving when they just want to get better and have a chance at playing time.

If he is so gifted he should land on his feet in a very good spot right? It would seem odd that such a stud would play four downs in the last four games and not garner a snap against Rutgers. And you can bag on development with this staff all you want but that doesn’t hold a lot of water with our dline for anyone paying attention.
He might not land at a good school. That tells you something that when there is so much competition in the transfer market, guys are still desperate enough to put themselves there because they think they have a better chance somewhere else than with this staff.

the team definitely has talent. there are already a couple studs. and i agree a few more becoming studs. I think the worst years are in the past. The B10 West is not good. With NEB talent they should either win the division or be top 3 every single year. 3rd in a bad year. They really got a huge kiss when they got put in the West. they dont really need to improve much to be a frontrunner in the West.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
He might not land at a good school. That tells you something that when there is so much competition in the transfer market, guys are still desperate enough to put themselves there because they think they have a better chance somewhere else than with this staff.
So he is a stud clear difference maker power five material along the dline where everyone is looking for players. But he might not land in a good spot? If he is all that people will be beating his door down .

Reactions: dinglefritz
Dude, this season has been an severe disappointment. I think we all have the right to bitch, at least a little bit. I know there is not gonna be any coaching change, but player development seems to be a big issue with us. This is just another example. I hope things get better, but 3 years in with the same stuff, I hope things change and get better, but I feel like im just waiting till the contract ends.
Yeah it's ridiculous that any little bit of criticism is considered "bitching". People did nothing but bitch when we were winning 9 or 10 games a year under Pelini. I'll bitch as much as I want when we're 3 and ****ing 5.

Desperation move. Jucos must make an immediate impact or they rarely are worth it. Blown opportunity.
Lol people were saying we finally got an SEC body when we recruited him. I never bought into that crap, but he did provide some much needed depth at the NT spot this year.

So he is a stud clear difference maker power five material along the dline where everyone is looking for players. But he might not land in a good spot? If he is all that people will be beating his door down .
I never said that. All I said is the guy has a lot of physical potential and provided much needed depth at NT. I wouldn't classify him as a bust as others have said. It's hard to tell how much potential any of these guys have when they rarely get developed by our coaching staff.

Yeah it's ridiculous that any little bit of criticism is considered "bitching". People did nothing but bitch when we were winning 9 or 10 games a year under Pelini. I'll bitch as much as I want when we're 3 and ****ing 5.
Ok. Now we get it. Still pissed about your boy Bo getting canned. Well I guess loyalty can be a good quality. I'm surprised though that Tom's admitting in hindsight that hiring Bo was a mistake hasn't changed your view a little though.

Ok. Now we get it. Still pissed about your boy Bo getting canned. Well I guess loyalty can be a good quality. I'm surprised though that Tom's admitting in hindsight that hiring Bo was a mistake hasn't changed your view a little though.
Nah I'm indifferent about Bo. But I do think it's funny a lot of the same people complaining about longevity or continuity are the same ones who wanted Bo out.

Nah I'm indifferent about Bo. But I do think it's funny a lot of the same people complaining about longevity or continuity are the same ones who wanted Bo out.
he got 7 years. Tom admitted he was a mistake. Frost has had 3. Fred is in his second year with a late start in recruiting the first year. His freshman look pretty talented and the McGowens kid is a 5 star. These jucos aren't going to build a program IMO. It's going to be built with freshman I hope.

he got 7 years. Tom admitted he was a mistake. Frost has had 3. Fred is in his second year with a late start in recruiting the first year. His freshman look pretty talented and the McGowens kid is a 5 star. These jucos aren't going to build a program IMO. It's going to be built with freshman I hope.
How is it possible that we have two different posters currently whining about the treatment poor Bo got over 6 years ago?

Bo never won fewer than 9 games. That's why he got 7 years. Still fans love to be hypocritical and clamor for continuity and make excuses for a shit product on the field when they were the same ones chasing Bo out.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
Well he has had 12 games to show what he can do if you count 4 last year and 8 this year, if practice is not his way to show what he can do. You are right about quality D-lineman being a need for many. We shall see where he lands.... if he is really that guy who can flip a switch when the lights come on, he should have plenty of good options. I have seen enough to believe his options won’t be that great.
I think just recruiting Riley last year said it all about what they expected out of Green. Losing Green frees up a scholarship for next year. But I think Green only saw the field in two or three games so he needs to find a place where he can just show up and play. Maybe that will have to be an FCS school.

Reactions: headcard and WHCSC
So Benard Thomas 2.0 is leaving? Funny how short some people's memories are in this and all threads. Was it coaches not developing him back in Benards day? Or do some guys that look like physical specimens just not pan out?

Stop making shit up. Osborne never said hiring Pelini was a mistake. Osborne said he took a chance in Bo’s demeanor, and it didn’t change as he’d hoped.

So was he a desperation pick-up for us or just bad evaluation?
Bad evaluation....with all of the turn over and commits that we never hear anything of again after arriving on campus...I have always thought the coaching staff are absolutely horrible at evaluating players....regardless of position

Stop making shit up. Osborne never said hiring Pelini was a mistake. Osborne said he took a chance in Bo’s demeanor, and it didn’t change as he’d hoped.
He most certainly did say that. It was in a radio interview he did over a year ago. His words were more along the lines of "in hindsight, hiring Bo wasn't such a good idea". I'm not sure who he would have hired who would have had any more success than Bo in the win-loss column though. The guys who were rumored other than Bo I don't think won as many games as Bo did and I think got fired from their next jobs before Bo did. I was lukewarm initially when Tom hired him but on board until the behavior issues surfaced later. Hell I defended Bo in his pissing matches with the media for at least 4 years.

Reactions: Oiler402
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT