ADVERTISEMENT

Green Decision.....

If Nebraska plays Nickel it will be the following:

L Jax - CB
Bootle - CB
Dismuke - SS
Deontai- FS
Cam Taylor - Nickel

Lol! Is that what it is? It doesn't depend on the down and distance. What if JoJo is healthy and playing? You just want to go smaller? We play in the B1G now.:)

Lol! Is that what it is? It doesn't depend on the down and distance. What if JoJo is healthy and playing? You just want to go smaller? We play in the B1G now.:)
When Nebraska plays nickel, it’s largely because of down and distance. They don’t just play nickel for the heck of it. So when Nebraska plays nickel, they need a little more speed on the field to cover an extra receiver. I know you know this, I’m not trying to be condescending here.

Base defense will obviously be larger, except when in nickel. Unless you think JoJo is fast enough to be in at all times, which may be what you are saying.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Mo took himself out of running plays. He played beneath his ability, because we didn't play assignment football. He was trying to make a play and cover deficiencies. JMO.

The only player that Iowa has on defense that is better than our players is Epenesa. They were the seventh rated scoring defense, I believe. They are disciplined. That's it. They know their assignments.JMO. I love you Tuco.

That’s not me.

I am talking about times when LB would appear to have say B gap responsibilities. They would get to the B gap, but instead of scraping the guard they would fit more toward the inside of the tackle, where he was easily kicked out and the RB would cut up threw the B gap.

That is a run fit issue not a gap responsibility issue.

Ooh goodie. Each level of the defense has their own calls. And they have their assignments. The worse thing you can do as a defense would be weak through the middle. If you cannot control the middle to some degree, the war is lost.

You can also not be out flanked dependent upon assignments. So, yeah, I'm pretty sure the flank is assigned to some portion of the defense while assigning inside gap to the interior or strong safety's. JMO. The defense has more than one call dependent on level. It's a like chess. Only it is more complicated. IMO.
I agree with you. In general, not all, but most defenses philosophy is to have d-lineman spill plays to the outside to a force defender (usually OLB or SS type) The job of the force defender is to force everything back to the inside. This allows the ILB to make most of the tackles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT