ADVERTISEMENT

Green Decision.....

Oh yes, 2 linebackers. My fault, but that is even better. I wasn't thinking about numbers. I was thinking about our linebackers.

Are you like Tuco and a big believer in our two deep at linebacker? Who are the five dbs ? You can add. What else you got?
Dude, take it easy, it was just a joke. You had 12 players on the field. I noticed and poked fun.

Sorry about that...

I think with the depth NU has at DL, at the very least teams would have trouble running the ball. And I have a good idea of the guys who would play the back five positions. But who gets the snaps at LB? Would think Mo Barry would certainly stay on the field. But what about the other LB spot?

It depends on the opponent. It will look different against Wisconsin than it does Purdue. I can see times when it’s Domann and when it is Honas or Miller. I can see times when the bigger OLB be that Davis or Ferguson drops down to a DE to create a 4 man front.

Reactions: bigredhunter
It depends on the opponent. It will look different against Wisconsin than it does Purdue. I can see times when it’s Domann and when it is Honas or Miller. I can see times when the bigger OLB be that Davis or Ferguson drops down to a DE to create a 4 man front.

I know it's not Chinander's go-to norm defense, but he has said they use it every now and then, but with this kind of healthy depth of huge bodies, do we see some 4-3 looks?

We better see some 4-3.
I know the 3-4 is chins specialty but I have this nagging feeling in the back of my head that they might eventually slowly transition to a 4 over the next few years, especially if we continue to struggle getting 3-4 OLB hybrid rushers.

Not saying we should do that but I wouldnt be surprised.

Tuco you see it! What I like most about what we have on defense is our flexibility. We can run a legit 4 man front if needed but we also can run 3-4 or go the hybrid 3-4/3-3-5 with Domann.

That's a lot for an offense to prepare for!

We better see some 4-3.
I know the 3-4 is chins specialty but I have this nagging feeling in the back of my head that they might eventually slowly transition to a 4 over the next few years, especially if we continue to struggle getting 3-4 OLB hybrid rushers.

Not saying we should do that but I wouldnt be surprised.

I hope

Just never comfortable with a 3-4.

Doesn't meant it can't work.

Tuco you see it! What I like most about what we have on defense is our flexibility. We can run a legit 4 man front if needed but we also can run 3-4 or go the hybrid 3-4/3-3-5 with Domann.

That's a lot for an offense to prepare for!
tenor.gif

Leverage is a real thing. 76" isn't ideal.
In the B1G we will have have 5 CBS and 3 lbs, when we play a four man front, right? Seems legit.

We have a solid two deep at linebacker, right? Tell me about those backers.

Which part of my post is hard to comprehend?

There are 4 OLBs and 4 ILBs that can and will play. I clearly, to the sober reader, wrote that the talent and experience may not be there but they can go 2 deep At all 4 LB spots

OLB - Domann, Ferguson, Davis, Tannor. Plus Nelson, Graham and 2 walk ons in Otte and Paup. I think you will see Otte and Paup playing a tone of special teams.

ILB - Berry, Honas, Miller, Henrich, Hannah, Snodgrass and Joey Johnson as a walk on

That is six scholarship athletes in the middle and six scholarship athletes on the outside.

There are 4 OLBs and 4 ILBs that can and will play. I clearly, to the sober reader, wrote that the talent and experience may not be there but they can go 2 deep At all 4 LB spots

OLB - Domann, Ferguson, Davis, Tannor. Plus Nelson, Graham and 2 walk ons in Otte and Paup. I think you will see Otte and Paup playing a tone of special teams.

ILB - Berry, Honas, Miller, Henrich, Hannah, Snodgrass and Joey Johnson as a walk on

That is six scholarship athletes in the middle and six scholarship athletes on the outside.

This year we are fine at LB. It’s next year when we maybe hurting a bit with lack of experience when Barry and Ferguson go pro. This year we have T Ferguson at OLB, Mo Barry at ILB, Honas at ILB and either Domman/Tannor at the other OLB. Then like you mentioned Miller, Hannah, Henrichs and Snodgrass as back ups at ILB and A Davis, Nelson, Domman/Tannor and maybe Miller at OLB. I don’t even want to think about next year yet...we will have talent at LB but it will be young and inexperienced talent.

I wouldn’t mind seeing some 4-3 defenses this year either. We definitely have the personal for it. We could even put Caleb Tannor as pass rushing DE at times. Thats what Georgia Bulldogs recruited him as until we flipped him last minute, a Pass Rushing DE. He’s one of our few edge rushers we have.

Last edited:
and, he has 3 years to play two, or 2 plus 4 games, if that fits better this season/ should he not be "FIT" - in case you didn't catch the pun!
his mama may not have kept a couple of them pancakes back to keep him hungry for the Buckeye's or whomever the new opposing team of the week is.

It's Barry, and behind the starters are true freshman. Ferguson is a starter, but hasn't played twelve games in a season. Jojo has been injured throughout most of his time. Alex Davis made 4 tackles despite playing in every game last season.

Honas blew up his knee. Linebacker and linebacker play is a weakness. Cheers.

Reactions: LP4NU
Dude, take it easy, it was just a joke. You had 12 players on the field. I noticed and poked fun.

Sorry about that...

My bad, and I apologize. Some posters on here are so sure of everything they say, but they don't know shit. Just like the rest of us. I guess it doesn't matter, but it annoys me.

It's Barry, and behind the starters are true freshman. Ferguson is a starter, but hasn't played twelve games in a season. Jojo has been injured throughout most of his time. Alex Davis made 4 tackles despite playing in every game last season.

Honas blew up his knee. Linebacker and linebacker play is a weakness. Cheers.

Try reading when sober, it makes things a whole lot more productive.

I simply wrote the LB numbers aren’t that bad. There are plenty of LBs on scholarship for this season. You may not like them, believe they lack experience, think they will be injured or not productive but that is different than not having enough linebackers on the team. Which is what I clearly wrote in my post that you replied to. Cheers

You would play a nickel defense against Wisconsin?
I would. Their oline will probably be having a bit of a down year so get 4 guys up front and maximize the speed we have available to deal with a Heisman quality running back. We can't stop him from getting yards but we can limit his long runs off the edge. Not sure yet if they'll have an upgrade at QB but the kid is young so just keep constant pressure up front without the risks that come with blitz packages.

With regards to LB out of the

I think Barry is the only one that has shown he can consistently play at a big ten level

Jojo not cleared because of injury? Certainly hope they are just erring on the side of caution.

With regards to LB out of the

I think Barry is the only one that has shown he can consistently play at a big ten level

so far that is correct. That said, it sounds like the coaching staff is very happy with what they are seeing from Ferguson, Honas and Miller. They understand the scheme much better and playing fast. I think we're going to be in good shape at LB this fall.

Reactions: jlb321
Try reading when sober, it makes things a whole lot more productive.

I simply wrote the LB numbers aren’t that bad. There are plenty of LBs on scholarship for this season. You may not like them, believe they lack experience, think they will be injured or not productive but that is different than not having enough linebackers on the team. Which is what I clearly wrote in my post that you replied to. Cheers

Wow! Sorry it took me so long to get back. I'm not retired.

I'm a high functioning alcoholic. ;)Laughing
The olbs are bad. Edit: I don't expect our weak side linebackers will be able to go through a whole season. Past history and such. They are small, but their slow.

We have 250 lb olb in Davis, you know his history. We have JoJo an undersized linebacker and Ferguson on the weak side. Both are around 230.

We have freshmen (injured freshmen) penciled in as players in the two deep. We have a walk on in Joey Johnson that could play alot.

Our pass rushing linebacker just started lifting weights last year is what I read. His name is Caleb Tannor. Jojo has not been cleared for fall practice.

Will our olb be able to set the edge against Iowa and Wisconsin or Purdue even?

You know all. Tell it Oracle.

Last edited:
Anyone know why he’s held out?

Injury? Maybe he's still recovering from an injury to his knee maybe. Maybe his therapy isn't being done in Lincoln, Nebraska. Maybe he has his own therapists. Maybe.

Last edited:
Wow! Sorry it took me so long to get back. I'm not retired.

I'm a high functioning alcoholic. ;)Laughing
The olbs are bad. Edit: I don't expect our weak side linebackers will be able to go through a whole season. Past history and such. They are small, but their slow.

We have 250 lb olb in Davis, you know his history. We have JoJo an undersized linebacker and Ferguson on the weak side. Both are around 230.

We have freshmen (injured freshmen) penciled in as players in the two deep. We have a walk on in Joey Johnson that could play alot.

Our pass rushing linebacker just started lifting weights last year is what I read. His name is Caleb Tannor. Jojo has not been cleared for fall practice.

Will our olb be able to set the edge against Iowa and Wisconsin or Purdue even?

You know all. Tell it Oracle.
Two OLB depth charts (from ourlads): one team is NU, one team is an opponent that also runs a 3-4. Which one is which? And which one is undersized? 40 times are not listed, but I imagine the players are comparable.
Starters - 6-2/230, 6-3/222
2s - 6-4/246, 6-3/244
ave height/weight 6-3/235

Starters - 6-2/230, 6-1/235
2s - 6-2/220, 6-5/250
ave height/weight 6-3/234

Two OLB depth charts (from ourlads): one team is NU, one team is an opponent that also runs a 3-4. Which one is which? And which one is undersized? 40 times are not listed, but I imagine the players are comparable.
Starters - 6-2/230, 6-3/222
2s - 6-4/246, 6-3/244
ave height/weight 6-3/235

Starters - 6-2/230, 6-1/235
2s - 6-2/220, 6-5/250
ave height/weight 6-3/234
Speed for a linebacker is pretty important too.

Speed for a linebacker is pretty important too.
Can't round up their 40 times, but the rivals ratings for the top OLBs are as follows:
Team 1 - 5.5, 5.7, 5.8, NR walk on
Team 2 - 5.6, 5.6, 5.8, 5.4
Will OLB be a strength for NU this year? No
Will OLB be an achilles heel for NU this year?
Also No

All I will say is don't sell Joey Johnson short, walk on or not. Kid will play and play well, IMO.

If Green shows up, as it seems he will, we are finally going to have some depth on the defensive line.
Depth and certainly more flexibility. Daniels X2 at Nose, with Carlos and Green able to also take some snaps there. Green, Davis X2, Deontre and Stille playing at the ends. It would seem that there are 7 legit guys on the DL. The ability to go to bigger four man fronts is there, with an example being Khalil and Stille at end, with Carlos and Darrion inside.

Depth and certainly more flexibility. Daniels X2 at Nose, with Carlos and Green able to also take some snaps there. Green, Davis X2, Deontre and Stille playing at the ends. It would seem that there are 7 legit guys on the DL. The ability to go to bigger four man fronts is there, with an example being Khalil and Stille at end, with Carlos and Darrion inside.

If our DL play is still subpar, I'm going to start drawing some conclusions on coaching.

If our DL play is still subpar, I'm going to start drawing some conclusions on coaching.
Define “subpar”.

Personally, I would love to see these guys get down to about 3 yards per running play this year. Is that possible with these guys? Is 3.5 or 4 more realistic?

And please can we have some guys who know how to put pressure on the QB?

Reactions: jlb321
Define “subpar”.

Personally, I would love to see these guys get down to about 3 yards per running play this year. Is that possible with these guys? Is 3.5 or 4 more realistic?

And please can we have some guys who know how to put pressure on the QB?

if wisconsin and iowa are shoving our DL 5 yds off the ball into the LB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT