ADVERTISEMENT

Green caps on helmets during kickoffs. What's up?

MAG

Assistant Head Coach
May 29, 2001
I noticed during kickoffs, that the players on the kick coverage units were wearing some kind of green cap on top of their helmets. Why? Some sort of video electronic effect? Some kind of tracking/measuring system? Looked a little funky on TV.

They will do that on special teams when you have players with different color jerseys. Put a helmet cover on them and you know who is on which side. Easier than switching jerseys for the players.

When the Rams used to camp north of Milwaukee saw them do the same thing.

They will do that on special teams when you have players with different color jerseys. Put a helmet cover on them and you know who is on which side. Easier than switching jerseys for the players.

When the Rams used to camp north of Milwaukee saw them do the same thing.
Well. Learn something everyday. Thanks.

Don't know if they showed it on BTN, but Stanley Morgan, Jr., refused to wear one when returning punts. One of the managers ran out on the field to give one to him, but he just refused to take it.

In fairness, if you have the ball and are running a certain direction, the right people should know whether or not to tackle you. I just thought it was pretty funny.

I noticed during kickoffs, that the players on the kick coverage units were wearing some kind of green cap on top of their helmets. Why? Some sort of video electronic effect? Some kind of tracking/measuring system? Looked a little funky on TV.
If you're as blonde, bosomy and ditzy as I think you are, you free Friday night?

The green hats are the new tinfoil thingy. That way the other team can't tell what your are going to do on special teams. It's an experiment this year and will be used during the regular season if it works out this spring and fall camp.

A good source not to be revealed told me this.

We might be able to cheer: Go Big Green Heads!

Don't know if they showed it on BTN, but Stanley Morgan, Jr., refused to wear one when returning punts. One of the managers ran out on the field to give one to him, but he just refused to take it.

In fairness, if you have the ball and are running a certain direction, the right people should know whether or not to tackle you. I just thought it was pretty funny.

Don't know that I agree with this. In the heat of the moment when you are flying around it would be very hard to decipher who to hit if everyone is wearing the same jersey.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT