ADVERTISEMENT

Great interview with Sean Callahan

phoenix4nu

Offensive Coordinator
May 10, 2009
Great interview with Sean Callahan on a variety of subjects, including the transfer portal, Adrian Martinez and social media. Also has his prediction for 2021.

Last edited:
I thought the guy interviewing him had a very good take on next season. He said that because they lack confidence, it all depends on how things go early. If things go well the first couple of games, they should be able to go 7-5. If not, another 5-7 type record is likely. I agree with that. Just like the Colorado games in 2018 and 2019, the Illinois and Buffalo games this year are huge.

I thought the guy interviewing him had a very good take on next season. He said that because they lack confidence, it all depends on how things go early. If things go well the first couple of games, they should be able to go 7-5. If not, another 5-7 type record is likely. I agree with that. Just like the Colorado games in 2018 and 2019, the Illinois and Buffalo games this year are huge.
It is exhausting and baffling to think about these 18 - 22 year olds and talking about lack of confidence. I trust they are referring to confidence in the coaching staff vs. Confidence in themselves.

It is exhausting and baffling to think about these 18 - 22 year olds and talking about lack of confidence. I trust they are referring to confidence in the coaching staff vs. Confidence in themselves.

I trust you are way off. Winning installs confidence. Confidence is a huge part of sports. Make a couple throws or shots or whatever and then you start making everything. Miss a tackle or an assignment and you start over thinking and are a step slow and can’t do anything right.

That’s why teams like KSU load up on non conference cupcakes. Look at that 2012 Iowa team they barely beat a bunch of nobodies early gained confidence and were actually good by the end of the year. Same with 2019 Minnesota and even the undefeated UCF team. Confidence is huge.

good grief. If things go well 7-5 is possible??

what a disgrace for expectations at an alleged blue blood program in year 4

This staff going 7-5 in year 4 would be like serving up a one turd sandwich rather than the 2 turd variety they have served up the first 3 years.

the sad thing is much of the fan base will put a little ketchup on it. wash it down with a glass of koolaid and declare it delicious

tenor.gif

Last edited:
18 - 22 year old D1 athletes aren't short of confidence in their ability. When things aren't going well, they arent blaming themselves, and they shouldnt, unless they are cutting corners and arent making the effort to get better. They rely on their coaches and those who train them. If they aren't getting better, its on their coaches and trainers. Good example is LM, he lost confidence not in himself, but in others, and now hes gone.

good grief. If things go well 7-5 is possible??

what a disgrace for expectations at an alleged blue blood program in year 4

This staff going 7-5 in year 4 would be like serving up a one turd sandwich rather than the 2 turd variety they have served up the first 3 years.

the sad thing is much of the fan base will put a little ketchup on it. wash it down with a glass of koolaid and declare it delicious

tenor.gif

I have to agree with you (which is surprising), 7-5 in year 4 is so pathetic. I don't think it's acceptable. Anything less than 8-4 will confirm we have to move on. Frost will get year 5 with a 7-5 record, and I'm not saying he shouldn't, but once we get down to a $5 million bu out he goes. I hate that. I really wanted him to succeed. It has to happen this year, 8-4 or I am looking to see who we might bring in.

18 - 22 year old D1 athletes aren't short of confidence in their ability. When things aren't going well, they arent blaming themselves, and they shouldnt, unless they are cutting corners and arent making the effort to get better. They rely on their coaches and those who train them. If they aren't getting better, its on their coaches and trainers. Good example is LM, he lost confidence not in himself, but in others, and now hes gone.

That is 100% false, or at least 95+% false.

I said this in another post, but I’ll repeat here.
As I think back to when I was playing college sports, I don't think any of the players thought this way. I didn’t ever recall anyone expressing the opinion that it was up to the coaches to make them better. If a player wasn't improving, I never thought it was the coaches fault. If someone wasn't getting the job done, it never occurred to me that maybe he wasn't developed right. For example, I did't work as hard in the weight room as I should have and as some of my peers did, but I never thought to blame someone other than myself. We see a lot of posts about players not thinking they are developed right, etc, but I wonder how many actually think this way?

And LM left because he got benched and got his feeling hurt, simple as that. We see it from backup QB’s all over college football. Look at Levis from PSU, almost an identical situation to LM.

I trust you are way off. Winning installs confidence. Confidence is a huge part of sports. Make a couple throws or shots or whatever and then you start making everything. Miss a tackle or an assignment and you start over thinking and are a step slow and can’t do anything right.

That’s why teams like KSU load up on non conference cupcakes. Look at that 2012 Iowa team they barely beat a bunch of nobodies early gained confidence and were actually good by the end of the year. Same with 2019 Minnesota and even the undefeated UCF team. Confidence is huge.
Barely beating a bunch of nobodies builds confidence? Not a chance. If anything, squeeking by garbage teams does the opposite. As a husker fan, you should know this. Those teams you mention got better because of coaching / development.

Last edited:
Barely beating a bunch of nobodies doesnt build confidence? Not a chance. If anything, squeeking by garbage teams does the opposite. As a husker fan, you should know this. Those teams you mention got better because of coaching / development.

No they gained confidence because they were winning. The same programs with the same coaches went the other way when they didn’t win early. Winning breeds confidence. This is such a simple premise, how do you not grasp this?

That is 100% false, or at least 95+% false.

I said this in another post, but I’ll repeat here.
As I think back to when I was playing college sports, I don't think any of the players thought this way. I didn’t ever recall anyone expressing the opinion that it was up to the coaches to make them better. If a player wasn't improving, I never thought it was the coaches fault. If someone wasn't getting the job done, it never occurred to me that maybe he wasn't developed right. For example, I did't work as hard in the weight room as I should have and as some of my peers did, but I never thought to blame someone other than myself. We see a lot of posts about players not thinking they are developed right, etc, but I wonder how many actually think this way?

And LM left because he got benched and got his feeling hurt, simple as that. We see it from backup QB’s all over college football. Look at Levis from PSU, almost an identical situation to LM.

How can you not understand a premise as simple as the importance of confidence in athletics?

How can you not understand what I posted? I fully understand confidence and how it affects a team / player. How can you not understand lack of confidence players have in their coaches? That absolutely affects their play and the outcome. Very few think to themselves "Geez, I'm not good enough to get this done." Their confidence in winning and doing well can drop, but I think it isn't because they think they are incapable of being successful, it's because of something else. If you didn't work as hard as you should have, then that's on you and not on anyone else, a point which I clearly made in the post that you responded to. I know how you feel about LM, you've made that clear, and there's more than a decent chance you are wrong, and that's ok. "Simple as that." If you say so.

No they gained confidence because they were winning. The same programs with the same coaches went the other way when they didn’t win early. Winning breeds confidence. This is such a simple premise, how do you not grasp this?
Jeebus dude, barely getting by crappy teams stops building confidence in 3rd grade.

How can you not understand what I posted? I fully understand confidence and how it affects a team / player. How can you not understand lack of confidence players have in their coaches? That absolutely affects their play and the outcome. Very few think to themselves "Geez, I'm not good enough to get this done." Their confidence in winning and doing well can drop, but I think it isn't because they think they are incapable of being successful, it's because of something else. If you didn't work as hard as you should have, then that's on you and not on anyone else, a point which I clearly made in the post that you responded to. I know how you feel about LM, you've made that clear, and there's more than a decent chance you are wrong, and that's ok. "Simple as that." If you say so.

You are doing some amazing mental gymnastics on this one and have clearly decided you are going to ignore common sense. I thought everyone knew the importance of confidence in sports, guess not. As for LM, that one is clear as day too, it’s happening everywhere, but sure let’s ignore the most obvious answer that we are seeing all over CFB and make up a wild, creative theory. I would say there is a very, very good chance you are wrong.

Reactions: red scowl
See, just like you have high confidence in yourself, even in failure, an athlete also maintains confidence in themselves, even if they fail, because it is somebody else, not them, that has the problem (as you have pointed out that I have the shortcomings, not you). You just say things like "it is clear as day" or "simple as that," and its all better . . . you are good and someone else isn't.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
See, just like you have high confidence in yourself, even in failure, an athlete also maintains confidence in themselves, even if they fail, because it is somebody else, not them, that has the problem (as you have pointed out that I have the shortcomings, not you). You just say things like "it is clear as day" or "simple as that," and its all better . . . you are good and someone else isn't.

Just trying to educate you on some basic things, that every sports fan on planet Earth understands, but you are clearly more interested in sharpening your pitchfork and chasing wild conspiracy theories. Enjoy that.

When you’ve been beaten by crappy teams for the past four years, beating crappy teams can build confidence. Losing to them will just perpetuate a losing mentality.

It is such a simple concept and I gave him examples like 2012 Iowa, 2017 UCF and 2019 Minnesota. The list could go on and on. How a statement like “this team needs to win and gain confidence” can turn into all this really is something to behold.

It is such a simple concept and I gave him examples like 2012 Iowa, 2017 UCF and 2019 Minnesota. The list could go on and on. How a statement like “this team needs to win and gain confidence” can turn into all this really is something to behold.

Ha! That has nothing to do with my op that you responded to. Of course confidence matters. Go back and try again. You are exhausting, you've made up some strange narrative and you just keep yapping. I'll keep this simple, because you like simple. Crappy teams arent scheduled for the purpose of building confidence, they are scheduled for the purpose of getting wins and working out the kinks in the 1st few games so that when you get to conference play, you are a better team (coaching / development). Suggesting Those KSU and Minnesota teams won at a high rate because they "built confidence" by barely beating crappy teams is a joke. "It's that simple." And "no," squeeking by shitty teams means next to nothing, especially in year 4 at Nebraska.

Thanks for the weird start to the weekend. Enjoy your day arguing with yourself.

Ha! That has nothing to do with my op that you responded to. Of course confidence matters. Go back and try again. You are exhausting, you've made up some strange narrative and you just keep yapping. I'll keep this simple, because you like simple. Crappy teams arent scheduled for the purpose of building confidence, they are scheduled for the purpose of getting wins and working out the kinks in the 1st few games so that when you get to conference play, you are a better team (coaching / development). Suggesting Those KSU and Minnesota teams won at a high rate because they "built confidence" by barely beating crappy teams is a joke. "It's that simple." And "no," squeeking by shitty teams means next to nothing, especially in year 4 at Nebraska.

Thanks for the weird start to the weekend. Enjoy your day arguing with yourself.

Only one arguing is you because you can’t grasp the simplest of concepts. This “strange narrative” is pretty basic and widely accepted on every level of athletics. BTW, Minnesota has only won at a “high rate” once, the season they squeeked by a bunch of easy non conference games early. You think they are well coached and well developed? Funny how they are not well coached or well developed any other year.

Only one arguing is you because you can’t grasp the simplest of concepts. This “strange narrative” is pretty basic and widely accepted on every level of athletics. BTW, Minnesota has only won at a “high rate” once, the season they squeeked by a bunch of easy non conference games early. You think they are well coached and well developed? Funny how they are not well coached or well developed any other year.

Keep going, you're doing really well.

Keep going, you're doing really well.

Im trying. It is obvious you are frustrated that you can’t grasp this simple concept, everyone else can. There are people on here trying to help, if you can just stop digging.

giphy.gif.cf.gif

Reactions: GILL T
NEB will be better next year. on both sides of the ball. a lot of depth and a ton of experience. im not going to look it up but NEB has to be one of the most experienced teams in the country next year. almost all starters from both sides of the ball are back. Many with 4-6 years of experience. there really is no excuse next year not to be 8-4 or better. Frost has his guys and the most experienced team he will EVER have. The defense will be decimated the following year from graduations. and someday they might actually have to play with a young QB again. This is the year

Reactions: HominidHusker
Im trying. It is obvious you are frustrated that you can’t grasp this simple concept, everyone else can. There are people on here trying to help, if you can just stop digging.

giphy.gif.cf.gif
Yes! I knew you had it in you. But do you have the confidence to keep going?

I still believe had we played Akron in year 1 we would have started off to a 3-0 record and probably off to a 6-7 win season. Just like blowing the Colorado game in year 2, we win that one and Frost’s seat temperature is a lot more comfortable. Confidence and momentum is so crucial.

I still believe had we played Akron in year 1 we would have started off to a 3-0 record and probably off to a 6-7 win season. Just like blowing the Colorado game in year 2, we win that one and Frost’s seat temperature is a lot more comfortable. Confidence and momentum is so crucial.

I, too think the first year would have had a different season like being at least bowl eligible..

But 2019 year was all on SF, not having a kicker and having a soccer player doing some of the duties and Martinez over evaluating the field in games instead of reacting and making yards on his own..

They lost a big lead entering the 2nd half and they chocked it away..
Was there witnessing and best part of the trip was getting high at halftime and at the end of the game.

I, too think the first year would have had a different season like being at least bowl eligible..

But 2019 year was all on SF, not having a kicker and having a soccer player doing some of the duties and Martinez over evaluating the field in games instead of reacting and making yards on his own..

They lost a big lead entering the 2nd half and they chocked it away..
Was there witnessing and best part of the trip was getting high at halftime and at the end of the game.

Yeah I agree. Had Pickering not gone Happy Gilmore during the off-season perhaps our kicking issues would not have existed in ‘19. Frost is a young coach and has had a losing season 4 out of 5 years as a head coach so I do question his overall trust in winning the winnable games. And that obviously trickles down to the staff and players.

You are doing some amazing mental gymnastics on this one and have clearly decided you are going to ignore common sense. I thought everyone knew the importance of confidence in sports, guess not. As for LM, that one is clear as day too, it’s happening everywhere, but sure let’s ignore the most obvious answer that we are seeing all over CFB and make up a wild, creative theory. I would say there is a very, very good chance you are wrong.
Everyone knows confidence and momentum is absolutely huge in college football and even basketball. Hell, all sports. Anyone who says or thinks differently either has an agenda or simply doesn’t want to admit they are wrong.

The Huskers have an absolute gauntlet for SOS next season. Two potential Top 4-5 teams in OU Sooners and OSU and then we also play are normal west teams like Wisconsin, Iowa, NW, Minny, Purdue and Illinois. Then we add in our cross over games of MSU and Michigan. Hell, Buffalo last season was pretty stout. Getting any type of momentum and confidence will be huge for our players and coaching staff.

If we can manage to go 7-5 to 8-4 next season playing potentially 5-6 teams ranked in the Top 25 (2 of which might be Top 4-5 range). Then I’d call that a solid season. But again, we will need things to go right early on and gain as much momentum and confidence as possible.

The Huskers have an absolute gauntlet for SOS next season. we also play are normal west teams like Wisconsin, Iowa, NW, Minny, Purdue and Illinois. Then we add in our cross over games of MSU and Michigan. Hell, Buffalo

RollingLaugh

OMG .... even Kansas fans would be embarrassed

you forgot to list the Lions of Southeastern La to the murder’s row above

Last edited:
Reactions: SWIowahawks
NEB will be better next year. on both sides of the ball. a lot of depth and a ton of experience. im not going to look it up but NEB has to be one of the most experienced teams in the country next year. almost all starters from both sides of the ball are back. Many with 4-6 years of experience. there really is no excuse next year not to be 8-4 or better. Frost has his guys and the most experienced team he will EVER have. The defense will be decimated the following year from graduations. and someday they might actually have to play with a young QB again. This is the year
I've been a huge Husker fan for almost 40 years and right now I just feel pretty down about the program. I agree this fall is huge for Frost and his staff. Blocking, tackling, passing, punting, kicking, penalties, ball security have all sucked for years! Not to mention key players always banged up. I know coach has had some challenges early on but for cryin out loud, if they can't put it together with this much talent and experience returning I don't know if they ever will. I guess I've had enough of the discipline problems.

RollingLaugh

OMG .... even Kansas fans would be embarrassed

you forgot to list the Lions of Southeastern La to the murder’s row above

Are you just flat out stupid or looking for attention? It must be the fact that I don’t ever acknowledge you or respond to your stupid takes. Either way, I never claimed ever team I mentioned was Top 10 team or anything like that. The point was the SOS wasn’t easy and no, genius, Kansas fans wouldn’t be embarrassed with that schedule. I’d have to guess they’d be like us and thinking “Ok, we got a rough schedule ahead of us and we need to bring it each and every week”. Absolutely stupid take.

Reactions: scarletred
Are you just flat out stupid or looking for attention? It must be the fact that I don’t ever acknowledge you or respond to your stupid takes. Either way, I never claimed ever team I mentioned was Top 10 team or anything like that. The point was the SOS wasn’t easy and no, genius, Kansas fans wouldn’t be embarrassed with that schedule. I’d have to guess they’d be like us and thinking “Ok, we got a rough schedule ahead of us and we need to bring it each and every week”. Absolutely stupid take.

aside from OSU, the combined record of Nebs conference opponents last year was 26-29

Only 2 of those remaining 8 teams had winning records last year - Neb plays both those teams at home

it is an incredibly meek schedule

aside from OSU, the combined record of Nebs conference opponents last year was 26-29

Only 2 of those remaining 8 teams had winning records last year - Neb plays both those teams at home

What an idiotic premise. The B1G only played conference games last year. 5 teams in the conference went .500 or better and we play 4 of them. We also play a preseason Top 5 team in Oklahoma in the OOC and none of this includes Michigan.

Reactions: saltsdogg

That was last year Mr Peabody.. Were discussing 2021..

Reactions: saltsdogg

I don’t give crap about last year and how some teams struggled during a pandemic year.

I’ll bet you anything Michigan bounces back from last year and Wins 9-11 game and is ranked inside the Top 15 (maybe Top 20) range. Yes, they had one single rough year under Jim Harbaugh but that’s a rarity, not the normal.

MSU had a first year Head Coach in Mel Tucker and I’m confident he will have MSU playing MSU ball soon enough. It’s understandable they struggled during his first year while playing during a pandemic.

OU and OSU both will be ranked inside the Top 6 (worst case Top 8 for OU). Enough said there.

Wisconsin and Iowa are solid programs and their coaches will have them solid like always and will no doubt be in the Top 25.

Minnesota, Fleck for the most part has them playing some solid ball and I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if they are solid to good next season.

NW is NW. you never know what you could and can get from that team. They very well could come out as the top West team again or they could come out and be the worst. My money is on them being a very solid to good team again.

so that leaves Purdue and Illinois, the only true teams on our schedule that could be bad to decent. Everyone else has to the potential to be good to a Top 25 team. And Buffalo, they went 6-1 with one RB going for 1,073 yards and the other 741 yards rushing and that was in 7 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT