ADVERTISEMENT

Great article on 2009 team....

give that 2009 team a decent to good QB and I guarantee they win the Big 12 and maybe a National Title. They definitely had an elite defense that year.
Tommy Armstrong would probably have been enough to put that team in the elite category. Run basically the same offense in the sense of 12-19 passes a game. Tommy was a warrior running the ball.

Zac Taylor on that team probably would have been legit as well. Another warrior.

Edit: If only Joe Ganz had another year, he may have been enough as well.

Tommy Armstrong would probably have been enough to put that team in the elite category. Run basically the same offense in the sense of 12-19 passes a game. Tommy was a warrior running the ball.

Zac Taylor on that team probably would have been legit as well. Another warrior.

Edit: If only Joe Ganz had another year, he may have been enough as well.

agreed, that offense had some weapons, we where just missing a QB. Guys like Ganz, Z Taylor or Tommy the Gun Armstrong would have been enough to wake that offense up.

Unless every single newspaper in the county has a bad owner, I don’t think ownership has much to do with it. Newspapers are dying everywhere. The World-Herald has probably clung to life better than most.
Maybe so but the owner does have influence over the editor and editing which affects the reporting. I know a lot of people that have dropped it because of it's decline and price. Some only keep it for the sports. Close to 30% have stopped subscribing and didn't switch to digital. Which is too bad because there's something about actually having that paper in your hand to read

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Maybe so but the owner does have influence over the editor and editing which affects the reporting. I know a lot of people that have dropped it because of it's decline and price. Some only keep it for the sports. Close to 30% have stopped subscribing and didn't switch to digital. Which is too bad because there's something about actually having that paper in your hand to read
So you think every owner of every newspaper in the country just suddenly dropped the ball?

The industry is dying, which I too think is sad. But papers of every size, shape and political stripe are crumbling, and some of the best and most time-tested newspapers in the country are on life support. What would a different owner do to reverse that?

Great team surrounded by optimism for the future. It's borderline unbelievable that it's been nearly a decade since Pelini proclaimed Nebraska as back and there to stay.

So you think every owner of every newspaper in the country just suddenly dropped the ball?

The industry is dying, which I too think is sad. But papers of every size, shape and political stripe are crumbling, and some of the best and most time-tested newspapers in the country are on life support. What would a different owner do to reverse that?
Yes print is in decline overall. Some worse than others. Some increase digital subscription while losing print because by the time we get our newspaper in the mail news is almost two days old.

However I don't think the owh can say that their digital subscription has offset the print decline.

It's a well known accepted fact that the "Lincoln paper" was a left leaning rag and the "Omaha paper" was a right leaning rag. Now about the same. I would say it wasn't one of Uncle Warren better outcomes from an roi standpoint. I don't know/remember what he paid for it

give that 2009 team a decent to good QB and I guarantee they win the Big 12 and maybe a National Title. They definitely had an elite defense that year.

They DID beat Texas and won the Big 12 Championship game! They just couldn't beat the Big 12 conference commisioner....

Yes print is in decline overall. Some worse than others. Some increase digital subscription while losing print because by the time we get our newspaper in the mail news is almost two days old.

However I don't think the owh can say that their digital subscription has offset the print decline.

It's a well known accepted fact that the "Lincoln paper" was a left leaning rag and the "Omaha paper" was a right leaning rag. Now about the same. I would say it wasn't one of Uncle Warren better outcomes from an roi standpoint. I don't know/remember what he paid for it
I’m not suggesting the World-Herald was a good investment - I’m fairly certain it wasn’t. I’m asking you what a different owner could have done to prevent the World-Herald’s decline, given the current death spiral environment for newspapers. So the floor is yours - enlighten us on what a different owner would have done to keep the World-Herald thriving.

Sometimes the investment has a return that won't show up in a ROI. Just look at Bezos buying the Washington Post.

I’m not suggesting the World-Herald was a good investment - I’m fairly certain it wasn’t. I’m asking you what a different owner could have done to prevent the World-Herald’s decline, given the current death spiral environment for newspapers. So the floor is yours - enlighten us on what a different owner would have done to keep the World-Herald thriving.
Rule#1. Don't alienate your customer. Once you mess that up you just dug a hole.

Next is the problem of the perception of print is dead. Digital is faster and we mostly get news from 24 hour TV, internet search, radio etc. But there's still a niche out there because people are still interested in local and regional news. Good writing and reporting with accuracy and facts should still sell.

We have to rely on postal service to deliver since we've lost the delivery paper boy. Now our breaking news is 3 days old

Reactions: Baxter48
Rule#1. Don't alienate your customer. Once you mess that up you just dug a hole.

Next is the problem of the perception of print is dead. Digital is faster and we mostly get news from 24 hour TV, internet search, radio etc. But there's still a niche out there because people are still interested in local and regional news. Good writing and reporting with accuracy and facts should still sell.

We have to rely on postal service to deliver since we've lost the delivery paper boy. Now our breaking news is 3 days old
Hopefully you realize that your subscription never even came close to covering the cost of bringing a newspaper to your door. That happened because advertisers spent gobs of money with newspapers every single day, 52 weeks per year. Advertisers don't do that anymore, so newspapers have to try to recover much more of the cost of a print subscription from the subscriber. For rural subscribers, the Postal Service is the only option left that's going to bring the paper to you at a cost that isn't completely crazy. The problem, as you point out, is that the mailman is going to bring you that paper 2-3 days late.

So there is simply no business model here that works, which is why print subscriptions are dying everywhere. And while that sucks for people who would still like to receive a newspaper, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that someone whose politics do not align with yours has a large ownership interest in the World-Herald.

Hopefully you realize that your subscription never even came close to covering the cost of bringing a newspaper to your door. That happened because advertisers spent gobs of money with newspapers every single day, 52 weeks per year. Advertisers don't do that anymore, so newspapers have to try to recover much more of the cost of a print subscription from the subscriber. For rural subscribers, the Postal Service is the only option left that's going to bring the paper to you at a cost that isn't completely crazy. The problem, as you point out, is that the mailman is going to bring you that paper 2-3 days late.

So there is simply no business model here that works, which is why print subscriptions are dying everywhere. And while that sucks for people who would still like to receive a newspaper, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that someone whose politics do not align with yours has a large ownership interest in the World-Herald.
Makes Berkshire Hathaway stock less valuable

agreed, that offense had some weapons, we where just missing a QB. Guys like Ganz, Z Taylor or Tommy the Gun Armstrong would have been enough to wake that offense up.
The 2009 team's OL needed more talent and depth, was a M*A*S*H unit the 2nd half of the season. The implosion of Cally's 2007 season and 2008 recruiting class doomed the 2009 team. Among the decommits that could have made a difference:

-Blaine Gabbert, QB (everybody hated him, but think about it)
-Dan Hoch started at OT as Mizzou and was Honorable Mention All-Big 12 in 2009
-Riley Reiff started at OT at Iowa and made the All-Big Ten Freshman Team in 2009

Put those three guys on the 2009 offense, and that is a very different season.

The 2009 team's OL needed more talent and depth, was a M*A*S*H unit the 2nd half of the season. The implosion of Cally's 2007 season and 2008 recruiting class doomed the 2009 team. Among the decommits that could have made a difference:

-Blaine Gabbert, QB (everybody hated him, but think about it)
-Dan Hoch started at OT as Mizzou and was Honorable Mention All-Big 12 in 2009
-Riley Reiff started at OT at Iowa and made the All-Big Ten Freshman Team in 2009

Put those three guys on the 2009 offense, and that is a very different season.

It was more guys than that from what I recall. The RB that went to start at Notre Dame and played in the NFL and a few others. Shame Cally didn't get time to "bring his own guys in and develop them."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT