ADVERTISEMENT

Grade for recruiting

I think this class combined with last years can be the class that starts it, assuming the "misses" are minimal. Seems we've had way too many misses the last few years, but maybe it is par for the course.

Bingo.

The key is to retain and develop the recruited talent. Pelini brought in 5 four stars in his first "real" class and only two graduated from Nebraska. Stars are great but don't mean didly squat if they don't pan out.

It also doesnt do much good if a 3* player pans out and achieves his 3* level

That in itself is a failure.
Referring to self? If room for class was 21, getting 21 is a pass in my book... I suppose they could have (and would have) gotten creative if Fitz or Simmons would have committed, but they did fill. If they overfill think how small the class is in two years that only has 13 seniors...

For a lot of people, this class is good but not great. I guess my question is this… Is this class good enough to start the turnaround? I see contributors in this class that, coupled with even better classes following this class, can bring us back. This class won't do it all by itself. But there are some pretty strong pieces in this class that will be counted on down the road.

Is this fair? Or am I just being my optimistic self once again?
No on e class will ever make the difference you need at minimum 2 most likely three classes to have a real impact

This class is about average for NU over the last 5-6 years or so - Every year we hear high character and stuff - It could turn out good if the kids stay and perform. Normally 50% of a class never contributes and that goes for most schools - hence the reaosn numbers are important. If 70-80% of this class contributes then it is a win

No on e class will ever make the difference you need at minimum 2 most likely three classes to have a real impact

This class is about average for NU over the last 5-6 years or so - Every year we hear high character and stuff - It could turn out good if the kids stay and perform. Normally 50% of a class never contributes and that goes for most schools - hence the reaosn numbers are important. If 70-80% of this class contributes then it is a win
The class is signed. It's now about what they do. Maybe in the main they are high quality, hard working guys and the group performs like a top fifteen class. Maybe a few too many are mentally incapable of playing high D1 ball and it turns out to be more like a top 35 class. Who knows.

This why I used the word START. Can they START the turnaround? I never suggested that this class would do it all by itself.

We have a QB. Some upper level O linemen. Top DBs. These are some good pieces. Will these kids be a pet of the turnaround? I don't think it's a stretch at all to say these guys can be the start of something big.

What makes you think he will do better at Nebraska relative to APR? 5-7 isn't going to get Oregon State in a bowl.

Developing talent is pretty subjective and mostly reserved for schools on the lower rungs.
MR has a history of coaching kids up, and while he's here he has alot more resources and backing for recruiting.

Not sure what you disagreed with. Do you think top 25 type classes can get the job done? Or do you think people were rejoicing over Bo's recruiting prowess on NSDs?
I do think that top 25 classes can get the job done & I think that MR has a better eye for talent then Bo did. I will wager that MR will make more strides with his recruits then Bo ever thought of. Bo left this cupboard so bare it was pathetic.

Reactions: huskerssalts
It also doesnt do much good if a 3* player pans out and achieves his 3* level
Interestingly there's an article RIGHT NOW on the Rivals recruiting main page about the FIVE (5) former 3 stars that could impact the Super Bowl outcome.....I would say maxing out a 3 star would be a good thing.

Referring to self? If room for class was 21, getting 21 is a pass in my book... I suppose they could have (and would have) gotten creative if Fitz or Simmons would have committed, but they did fill. If they overfill think how small the class is in two years that only has 13 seniors...
Riley might not have to worry about the recruiting class in two years.

Riley might not have to worry about the recruiting class in two years.

Going to assume you are implying he won't be here in two years which leads me to believe you think he'll be fired? I think you're wrong, I think he'll do great here and something tells me he's also a pretty good guy, who, unlike our last meathead for a coach, will still wish us and our recruiting classes success.

Reactions: timnsun
I think our class gets a flat B...going off Rivals, Scout, ESPN and Huskersillustrated: we had a total of 7 4 stars and 13 high 3 star guys. Before anyone asks, i went by highest star given between all 4 sites. Farniok is 4 star on Huskersillustrated, Brokop is a 4 star on Scout and Alexnader is a 4 star on ESPN (Farniok may have been a 4 star on another too). There where a lot of 5.7 and 5.6 3 star guys which is right there with a 4 star. We filled a lot of holes and even added a 5 star punter/kicker. So its not a bad class at all. Btw i have always looked at all 4 sites to get a feel for how our commits where on average, it gives you a better idea.

7 4 stars and 13 high 3 stars (call me stupid but it should be 12 3 stars and a 5 star punter, i have never understood why kicker and punters don't get ranked by there position they play....that kicking school ranked our punter as a 5 star) get a B from me.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT