ADVERTISEMENT

Gotta go back to Martinez after today

Suhrreal

Defensive Coordinator
Jun 1, 2009
Sad to say because we know Martinez's flaws in full by now, but McCaffrey cannot push the ball downfield beyond a certain point. By now we know both QBs are turnover prone and incapable of pulling the trigger at times. Both have the same running ability and Martinez is a good enough runner to get the nod with his arm strength now. Doesn't matter if Luke can run tempo because the other team will still stack 9 in the box. Actually thought we might start Martinez today because he has killed Illinois the past two years. We saw how easily he moved the ball when he got in. Another rough decision by Frost this week and it should be an easy decision to start Martinez against Iowa. Martinez + McCaffrey in the backfield is probably in the cards.

No.

Martinez has shown repeatedly that he cannot meet challenges as they are presented to him during a game. This has been going on since even his Freshman year.

Luke has shown the ability to actually meet those challenges at times. He's really only played 7 quarters of football.

Martinez is not the answer.

Martinez can't push the ball downfield either. Only 2 passes longer than 20 yards

The difference is he has the arm strength to get it there when needed. McCaffrey literally has to have all mechanics in sync to throw it deep. He can't just uncork a long ball like Martinez can. The completion % means nothing in this regard. Just watch their deep throws and compare.

Teams will still respect Martinez's arm strength. Every remaining opponent we have is putting their entire defense in the box and selling out to stop the run from now on out.

Reactions: WHCSC
The difference is he has the arm strength to get it there when needed. McCaffrey literally has to have all mechanics in sync to throw it deep. He can't just uncork a long ball like Martinez can. The completion % means nothing in this regard. Just watch their deep throws and compare.

Teams will still respect Martinez's arm strength. Every remaining opponent we have is putting their entire defense in the box and selling out to stop the run from now on out.
did you not watch the last season-plus?

Sad to say because we know Martinez's flaws in full by now, but McCaffrey cannot push the ball downfield beyond a certain point. By now we know both QBs are turnover prone and incapable of pulling the trigger at times. Both have the same running ability and Martinez is a good enough runner to get the nod with his arm strength now. Doesn't matter if Luke can run tempo because the other team will still stack 9 in the box. Actually thought we might start Martinez today because he has killed Illinois the past two years. We saw how easily he moved the ball when he got in. Another rough decision by Frost this week and it should be an easy decision to start Martinez against Iowa. Martinez + McCaffrey in the backfield is probably in the cards.
Agree. Plus I think using McCaffrey as a multi-purpose player with Martinez at QB makes the offense more dynamic. Martinez looked far more in command in the short time he was in.

Agree. Plus I think using McCaffrey as a multi-purpose player with Martinez at QB makes the offense more dynamic. Martinez looked far more in command in the short time he was in.
the offense scored 3 tds in 2 games with martinez at the helm

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I thought moving to Martinez to start the 2nd half was a lock. Honestly, it wouldn’t have mattered. It was over after they drove right down the field and scored after we cut it to 14 in the 3rd. Our paper thin D had no answer for grown up football. Luke didn’t play well, but my goodness, nobody played well. This team is a walking turnover/penalty. Rhythm hasn’t been a thing for this squad.
I would like to see Martinez get the nod next week, but I understand the argument, or lack there of, for both. What a mess.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I thought moving to Martinez to start the 2nd half was a lock. Honestly, it wouldn’t have mattered. It was over after they drove right down the field and scored after we cut it to 14 in the 3rd. Our paper thin D had no answer for grown up football. Luke didn’t play well, but my goodness, nobody played well. This team is a walking turnover/penalty. Rhythm hasn’t been a thing for this squad.
I would like to see Martinez get the nod next week, but I understand the argument, or lack there of, for both. What a mess.

tough decision - lots of nuance
these things aren't black or white -- lots of gray

Luke will remain the starter

Sorry but we have to get rid of Captain Dipshit as the QB coach and some others before we can even think about putting any QB out there

Adrian has had 2 seasons and a couple games to improve while only getting worse. How many chances does he get?

Adrian has had 2 seasons and a couple games to improve while only getting worse. How many chances does he get?
That still doesn’t mean Luke will be better, or that Martinez can’t figure it out. I know this much, Luke had about as a bad passing performance that we have ever seen. Not just accuracy, but his decision making was abysmal.

I don’t think AM ever played as bad as LM did today. Not even close. And this was against one of the worst defense in the country. A defense AM had over 400 yards of offense on last year. Like is a good athlete we need on the field, but not at QB.

Martinez should start at qb, McCaffrey should start at RB. They both need to be on the field because we have no other playmakers.

Reactions: headcard
I think Martinez is the better qb, but both have proven they aren't capable of moving the offense by themselves. They both need to be on the field.
Fine by me. Would be pretty interesting at least. Just make sure one doesn’t have to pick up the blitz very often.

I don’t think AM ever played as bad as LM did today. Not even close. And this was against one of the worst defense in the country. A defense AM had over 400 yards of offense on last year. Like is a good athlete we need on the field, but not at QB.
Couldn’t agree more. Luke held onto the ball for a ridiculous period of time on every pass. It looked like he was horrified to let one go. I’ve never seen anything like that over and over in college football. The kid would make an amazing WR. But it’s clear he’s no savior

You underestimate the inability of the coaching staff to make in-game adjustments. There's no reason at all that Martinez shouldn't have been given the second half.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT