ADVERTISEMENT

Got my vaccination today....

Douglas County got 5000 of Nebraska's 15k allotment of J&J. All of them went to teachers (and support staff). The clinic appts filled up within 2 hours this morning.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
I got the Pfizer round 1 shot on Sat. No issues so far, my arm was a little sore. Feels good man.

How exactly are those 2 things different? It isn't reprogramming your DNA, it's just training your cells to produce something that is foreign to the body. Sounds like splitting hairs to me, and either way it seems pretty similar to how cancer works.
It isn't training your cells to produce something foreign. It's training your cells to fight a foreign protein. Any comparison to what happens with cancer is not logical. Cancer is a mutation of your own cells most commonly incited by exposure to environmental toxins. Concern about AstraZeneca's MLV Adenovirus COVID vaccine I respect. Concern about Pfizer's and Moderna's is unfounded. I'm not a fan of Johnson and Johnson's new vaccine but compared to getting infected with wild virus COVID, the risks are minimal for young patients.

Reactions: LBremser
Everyone I've talked to all say second shot kicks your ass. But test studies showing even just 1 Pfizer shot is over 80 percent effective.

I rarely get sick, I'm curious to see if I get symptoms with the second shot. I work in education, I've read before that people working in education could have super immune systems because we're exposed to so much on a daily basis. Should be interesting!

Everyone I've talked to all say second shot kicks your ass. But test studies showing even just 1 Pfizer shot is over 80 percent effective.
Know several people who got their second shot and not one of them got sick. All had minor arm soreness but that was it. You are correct, however, that the vaccines are showing significant immunity after the one shot. In fact there's been a problem with some people not showing up for their second shot appointments.

It isn't training your cells to produce something foreign. It's training your cells to fight a foreign protein. Any comparison to what happens with cancer is not logical. Cancer is a mutation of your own cells most commonly incited by exposure to environmental toxins. Concern about AstraZeneca's MLV Adenovirus COVID vaccine I respect. Concern about Pfizer's and Moderna's is unfounded. I'm not a fan of Johnson and Johnson's new vaccine but compared to getting infected with wild virus COVID, the risks are minimal for young patients.
Where do the protein strands come from? Your body produces them.

I rarely get sick, I'm curious to see if I get symptoms with the second shot. I work in education, I've read before that people working in education could have super immune systems because we're exposed to so much on a daily basis. Should be interesting!

That logic certainly didn't work at our school. Most of us were hit pretty hard by our 2nd Moderna shot. Fortunately half had their shots on Thursday, the other half of Friday so those who were getting their shots on Friday were able to staff the building.

Reactions: T...Chafes
Wife and I have had both doses of moderna after 1st dose she had a terrible headache for about a day same with 2nd. after 1st dose I was extremely tired 2nd day (could have been hang over) after 2nd dose I never had anything.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Where do the protein strands come from? Your body produces them.
Immunoglobulins are infection fighting proteins produced by your body virtually every day of your life. The immune response to a foreign protein is complicated but it is nothing like what happens when cancer develops.

That logic certainly didn't work at our school. Most of us were hit pretty hard by our 2nd Moderna shot. Fortunately half had their shots on Thursday, the other half of Friday so those who were getting their shots on Friday were able to staff the building.
Sounds like a bad case of the brown bottle flu.... I think frankly that there are a lot of sissies out there who think they're going to be sick so they are. JMO. We'll see if I still feel that way after I get my next dose of Moderna's on the 16th.

Know several people who got their second shot and not one of them got sick. All had minor arm soreness but that was it. You are correct, however, that the vaccines are showing significant immunity after the one shot. In fact there's been a problem with some people not showing up for their second shot appointments.
Yeah but you must of missed the story that said that really old people tend to have less severe reactions to

Sounds like a bad case of the brown bottle flu.... I think frankly that there are a lot of sissies out there who think they're going to be sick so they are. JMO. We'll see if I still feel that way after I get my next dose of Moderna's on the 16th.

Frankly I think you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to my co workers. And I'm done.

My wife got both shots of Pfizer. No issues. She prepped hard for it though. Lots of water, rest and pedialyte.

I have the first Moderna shot. Will get the second here soon. Just a sore arm with the first.

From all the nurses I’ve spoken to, the second Moderna has kicked their butt. So I’m hoping to get lucky and not get the chills and whatnot.

Reactions: dinglefritz
My wife got both shots of Pfizer. No issues. She prepped hard for it though. Lots of water, rest and pedialyte.

I have the first Moderna shot. Will get the second here soon. Just a sore arm with the first.

From all the nurses I’ve spoken to, the second Moderna has kicked their butt. So I’m hoping to get lucky and not get the chills and whatnot.
My wife had zero effects from her second Moderna vaccination. Mild soreness in her arm. That was it. There are some people who will expect to feel poorly and then will based on their expectations. It's the same mental phenomena that causes some people to say they feel better after a placebo.

Reactions: GretnaShawn

Sounds like this Sat is going to be the date most of our teachers and staff get the J&J one shot vaccine. It happens to be the start of spring break, so no issues with coverage ;)...

Hopefully I make out better than your co-workers! I'm prepared for the worst in 2 weeks when I get my second dose...

My elderly parents received both doses of pfizer. My mom had flu-like symptoms the day after her second dose but my dad was just fine. I also received my first dose of pfizer- no problemo.

Yeah but you must of missed the story that said that really old people tend to have less severe reactions to
Ha! I'll admit none of them were in their 20's because few people in their 20's qualify but some I know were in their 30's and none of them had more than mild reactions.

I wonder how many will have to die that have ongoing health issues because of all the young heathy teachers getting vaccinated first. When the science said it was safe for them anyway and the only reason they are getting vaccinated is because their union controls the president of the United States.

this is not hypothetical I lost a friend last week who was vaccinated then tested positive the same day and died ten days later. If he had gotten the vaccine a week or two earlier most likely alive today

I wonder how many will have to die that have ongoing health issues because of all the young heathy teachers getting vaccinated first. When the science said it was safe for them anyway and the only reason they are getting vaccinated is because their union controls the president of the United States.

this is not hypothetical I lost a friend last week who was vaccinated then tested positive the same day and died ten days later. If he had gotten the vaccine a week or two earlier most likely alive today

I’m really sorry about your friend.

I live in Iowa and many teachers here have died from covid, including a healthy looking 38 year old.

I am in my thirties and my wife and I were offered the vaccine in December. We felt guilty taking it because we knew there were many people more susceptible than us who didn’t have the access. But we also owed it to our vulnerable patients to protect them. For the record 100+ fevers, aches, chills for 20 hours after 2nd dose for both of us.

I have always thought grocery store employees deserved to be high on the vaccination list. IMO, they have been treated as expendable during this whole pandemic. Always forced to work with minimal protection even before we knew stats on how deadly this was. I would have had a really hard time dragging myself to that job back in April 2020.

How exactly are those 2 things different? It isn't reprogramming your DNA, it's just training your cells to produce something that is foreign to the body. Sounds like splitting hairs to me, and either way it seems pretty similar to how cancer works.
MVWQHrdy-N79ZM7l1POeD79Nd8goAt6oKn2XOrkK3-sXtqieNZtTfGEXdHOTG3FRaQutklV0XZAWpxdrC4cvD0NDv02juJrcuhbNE1p3dhyqxQat0KfKC4YZvQzeyDeqKVisDJXdEgeB19UlZZ6fQ7yrIFkK

I have been told by a pharmacist for a pharmacy who has vaccinated thousands (including residents of dozens of nursing homes), their experience, consistent with studies he has read, show that younger people actually have more side effects then older people - at least with the Pfizer vaccine. My wife likes to remind me of this, because I had zero issues with either shot, other than soreness in my shoulder a day. Second one kicked her butt a little for a day -- just draining, which isn't surprising if your body is devoting a lot of energy producing anti-bodies in response to the shot. Obviously, that's overall numbers/trends, not everyone will fit the pattern.

Reactions: SnohomishRed
I’m really sorry about your friend.

I live in Iowa and many teachers here have died from covid, including a healthy looking 38 year old.

I am in my thirties and my wife and I were offered the vaccine in December. We felt guilty taking it because we knew there were many people more susceptible than us who didn’t have the access. But we also owed it to our vulnerable patients to protect them. For the record 100+ fevers, aches, chills for 20 hours after 2nd dose for both of us.

I have always thought grocery store employees deserved to be high on the vaccination list. IMO, they have been treated as expendable during this whole pandemic. Always forced to work with minimal protection even before we knew stats on how deadly this was. I would have had a really hard time dragging myself to that job back in April 2020.
I really do not begrudge anyone getting the vaccine but the whole idea should be to protect the ones most at risk of hospitalization and death. My point is not that a grocery clerk or teacher to a much lesser extent can’t get the virus. The point is that very few young teachers or grocery workers are dying of it. This virus attacks weakness if a 38 year old teacher died of COVID there was an underlying condition. Which is exactly my point people at most risk need to be vaccinated not people who may be at risk of coming in contact with the virus. This virus is everywhere and anyone can get it at some point

I've always thought vaccine priority ought to go by two things: 1 - age and 2 - severity of preexisting conditions. I would only make an occupational exception for healthcare workers who come in direct contact with Covid infected people as part of their job. Once you start rationalizing or making exceptions for anyone else it becomes a matter of who has the most political power.

The good thing is that it's not going to be too long anymore before prioritization isn't required and everyone who wants the vaccine can get vaccinated. Now only a couple of months away. The problem will rapidly flip to the different issue of trying to convince anti vaxxers.

I've always thought vaccine priority ought to go by two things: 1 - age and 2 - severity of preexisting conditions. I would only make an occupational exception for healthcare workers who come in direct contact with Covid infected people as part of their job. Once you start rationalizing or making exceptions for anyone else it becomes a matter of who has the most political power.

The good thing is that it's not going to be too long anymore before prioritization isn't required and everyone who wants the vaccine can get vaccinated. Now only a couple of months away. The problem will rapidly flip to the different issue of trying to convince anti vaxxers.

A lot of anti vaxxers with begrudgingly take the vaccine to get on with normal life. There will be plenty of jobs that will require you to take the vaccine to work there. Or airlines and hotels that require it. There will be a lot of social forces that will make it difficult to not get the vaccine.

A lot of anti vaxxers with begrudgingly take the vaccine to get on with normal life. There will be plenty of jobs that will require you to take the vaccine to work there. Or airlines and hotels that require it. There will be a lot of social forces that will make it difficult to not get the vaccine.
Yes, I believe there will be some societal pressures that come into play and push the fence sitters over the goal line. But there are some hardcore anti vaxxers out there who will only go kicking and screaming about their free rights.

Reactions: GretnaShawn

agreed however someone is going to be the last to die from this that should not have. Both myself and my wife got our second shot last week but we have friends some over 75 still not vaccinated. I also have a number of 30 -40 year olds in my neighborhood who have been. They may work in healthcare but in the office not with patients heck one of them works from home. I just hope I do not have more friends die that could have been prevented by common sense

Yes, I believe there will be some societal pressures that come into play and push the fence sitters over the goal line. But there are some hardcore anti vaxxers out there who will only go kicking and screaming about their free rights.
Let them. If they choose not to get the shot, that’s their deal. But they’ll likely be chained to work for certain companies/industries and give up certain travel. And that’s their decision.

agreed however someone is going to be the last to die from this that should not have. Both myself and my wife got our second shot last week but we have friends some over 75 still not vaccinated. I also have a number of 30 -40 year olds in my neighborhood who have been. They may work in healthcare but in the office not with patients heck one of them works from home. I just hope I do not have more friends die that could have been prevented by common sense

The bulk of the covid cases and transmission occurs in the age groups 18-24 and 25-49. I've felt that the best way to reach herd immunity as fast as possible is to target these age groups and would also keep the economy moving by keeping workers productive. I've found a study that seems to support my assumption.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2021/02/01/science.abe8372

From the report:

Abstract
Following initial declines, in mid 2020 a resurgence in transmission of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) occurred in the US and Europe. As COVID19 disease control efforts are re-intensified, understanding the age demographics driving transmission and how these affect the loosening of interventions is crucial. We analyze aggregated, age-specific mobility trends from more than 10 million individuals in the US and link these mechanistically to age-specific COVID-19 mortality data. We estimate that as of October 2020, individuals aged 20-49 are the only age groups sustaining resurgent SARS-CoV-2 transmission with reproduction numbers well above one, and that at least 65 of 100 COVID-19 infections originate from individuals aged 20-49 in the US. Targeting interventions – including transmission-blocking vaccines – to adults aged 20-49 is an important consideration in halting resurgent epidemics and preventing COVID-19-attributable deaths.

i've read there may be a link between having had COVID and a higher risk of side effects from the vaccines. There are several viruses that have a more severe effect on us with subsequent exposures. Sometimes, maybe rare, but additional exposure is not beneficial.

Reactions: Crazyhole
The bulk of the covid cases and transmission occurs in the age groups 18-24 and 25-49. I've felt that the best way to reach herd immunity as fast as possible is to target these age groups and would also keep the economy moving by keeping workers productive. I've found a study that seems to support my assumption.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2021/02/01/science.abe8372

From the report:

Abstract
Following initial declines, in mid 2020 a resurgence in transmission of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) occurred in the US and Europe. As COVID19 disease control efforts are re-intensified, understanding the age demographics driving transmission and how these affect the loosening of interventions is crucial. We analyze aggregated, age-specific mobility trends from more than 10 million individuals in the US and link these mechanistically to age-specific COVID-19 mortality data. We estimate that as of October 2020, individuals aged 20-49 are the only age groups sustaining resurgent SARS-CoV-2 transmission with reproduction numbers well above one, and that at least 65 of 100 COVID-19 infections originate from individuals aged 20-49 in the US. Targeting interventions – including transmission-blocking vaccines – to adults aged 20-49 is an important consideration in halting resurgent epidemics and preventing COVID-19-attributable deaths.
seems reasonable. the old people are staying in anyway.

I have been told by a pharmacist for a pharmacy who has vaccinated thousands (including residents of dozens of nursing homes), their experience, consistent with studies he has read, show that younger people actually have more side effects then older people - at least with the Pfizer vaccine. My wife likes to remind me of this, because I had zero issues with either shot, other than soreness in my shoulder a day. Second one kicked her butt a little for a day -- just draining, which isn't surprising if your body is devoting a lot of energy producing anti-bodies in response to the shot. Obviously, that's overall numbers/trends, not everyone will fit the pattern.
we've had a couple high school kids who work in nursing homes miss school the day after their covid shot because they felt crummy. i wonder if these kids had already had covid. some whispers about prior covid exposure causing increased response to vaccines

The bulk of the covid cases and transmission occurs in the age groups 18-24 and 25-49. I've felt that the best way to reach herd immunity as fast as possible is to target these age groups and would also keep the economy moving by keeping workers productive. I
I cant remember who, but there was at least one European country that was taking this exact approach, Vaccinate the extremely risky (oldest), and then the spreaders (younger). Middles benefit from that as well.

Not sure how its working for them, but I found it interesting.

I really do not begrudge anyone getting the vaccine but the whole idea should be to protect the ones most at risk of hospitalization and death. My point is not that a grocery clerk or teacher to a much lesser extent can’t get the virus. The point is that very few young teachers or grocery workers are dying of it. This virus attacks weakness if a 38 year old teacher died of COVID there was an underlying condition. Which is exactly my point people at most risk need to be vaccinated not people who may be at risk of coming in contact with the virus. This virus is everywhere and anyone can get it at some point

I don’t know the health status of the 38 year old but did have a friend that knew him and was not aware of any underlying condition. He was a little overweight, but not obese. Apparently wasn’t overly ill, just went to sleep and didn’t wake up. Sounds like a stroke. Maybe if he was more ill and ended up in a hospital they could have checked some coagulation or inflammatory markers and prevented this untimely loss.

In the end shots in arms are what matters. The US really has no easy way to confirm pre-existing issues risk since we don’t have a centralized health service. Unless we are just going to let anyone waltz into Walgreens and trust that they will tell you your health history. Our rollout has also mostly been electronic which hasn’t worked super well with the 65+ crowd. Lots of hurdles and challenges but we seem to be in a good spot now.

Again, I am really sorry about your friend. Truly a heartbreaking circumstance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT