ADVERTISEMENT

Got a Traeger - Brisket Recipe Needed

giocatore83

Walk On
Jan 15, 2013
Hey all. Anyone got a foolproof recipe for a run and smoking a brisket on a traeger(I have the pro 34)? Just got one and my wife really wants a brisket, but I am 100% a novice. Appreciate any help/advice!

Plenty of good recipes out there, but your results will depend more on the quality of the brisket than anything else. Great briskets are not easy to find these days, because the competition for them is fierce.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Hey all. Anyone got a foolproof recipe for a run and smoking a brisket on a traeger(I have the pro 34)? Just got one and my wife really wants a brisket, but I am 100% a novice. Appreciate any help/advice!
The lower temperature and the longer you smoke it the better it will be. Dales is a good liquid, marinade the brisket overnight. Basic butt rub is a good all around rub. There are plenty out there, just depends what you like in spices

Amazingribs.com. Cant go wrong with Meathead.
Baxter is right on with the low and slow.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Any recipe online is fine...where people mess up is by leaving it in the smoker the whole time. Leave it on for about half the cooking time then wrap in foil with a bit of apple juice and finish in the oven. Will keep it from drying out.

A store bought brisket is typically Choice, at best, so leaving on the smoker the whole time will make it really dry and simply waste fuel.

This is one of the only cuts of meat I have never cooked. (Shocking I know Eek)

Having said that, I’m a member of a couple of BBQ boards where I’ve seen a lot of briskets cooked. I’ll relate what seems to be the common way(s) I seen.

Brisket is a cut from the front chest area of the cow just above the front legs. This means it’s got a lot of muscle and connective tissue that needs to breakdown for the results to be tender. This takes a long time and is normally done at low / lower temperatures. By long time I mean anywhere between 10 to 14 hours and low temperatures means anywhere between 225 and 300 degrees. If you cook it at 225, you may be waiting for your brisket to be probe tender for up to 14 hours.

The most common mistake people make when cooking is assuming there is a set time when the meat will be done. A brisket isn’t done until it is probe tender. This happens at different times even if your cooking two pieces of meat that weigh the same.

For your 1st brisket you may want to keep it simple. Many simply rub it with a generous coating of salt and pepper. Others rub it with SPOG (Salt, Pepper, Onion & Garlic) which is also very common.

Having never cooked one that’s all I can add to this discussion.

Having said that, I’m a member of a couple of BBQ boards where I’ve seen a lot of briskets cooked. I’ll relate what seems to be the common way(s) I seen.

Brisket is a cut from the front chest area of the cow just above the front legs. This means it’s got a lot of muscle and connective tissue that needs to breakdown for the results to be tender. This takes a long time and is normally done at low / lower temperatures. By long time I mean anywhere between 10 to 14 hours and low temperatures means anywhere between 225 and 300 degrees. If you cook it at 225, you may be waiting for your brisket to be probe tender for up to 14 hours.

The most common mistake people make when cooking is assuming there is a set time when the meat will be done. A brisket isn’t done until it is probe tender. This happens at different times even if your cooking two pieces of meat that weigh the same.

For your 1st brisket you may want to keep it simple. Many simply rub it with a generous coating of salt and pepper. Others rub it with SPOG (Salt, Pepper, Onion & Garlic) which is also very common.

I have injected with beef broth, rubbed with a basic brisket rub (Uncle Earnie’s out of Cedar Creek is decent if you want to support local). 225-250F for as long as it takes. Let it rest in a cooler after you pull it. You have to let it rest.

I watched a lot of YouTube videos on trimming and methods. It helps.

Are you doing a full brisket or just the flat?

Last edited:

That's dead on. Better to have it done 4 hours ahead of time. You can wrap it plastic wrap or foil and then wrap a couple towels around it and put it in your
cooler until you're ready to serve it

Reactions: giocatore83
The first brisket I cooked was just as der said. I used a basic run I made from a recipe off a web site from a lady named Julie. I haven't been disappoint yet on recepies there.

My first tasted wonderful. I got in a hurry to cut it and eat it. Let it rest and I read this on another site, when you think it is done, cook it another hour!

I recently did my first Boston Butt and it took 19 hours but man was it good.

The first brisket I cooked was just as der said. I used a basic run I made from a recipe off a web site from a lady named Julie. I haven't been disappoint yet on recepies there.

My first tasted wonderful. I got in a hurry to cut it and eat it. Let it rest and I read this on another site, when you think it is done, cook it another hour!

19 hours to cook a butt? How big was it? Usually about an hour per pound is a good rule of thumb. Internal temperature around 200. Really anywhere from 195 to 202

. REPORTED!

Just want to clarify that 10 to 14 hours is for a whole (packer) brisket. If your cooking just a flat then those times would result in shoe leather. :eek:

I've had them take 14 1/2 hours at 250. Assuming you were cooking at 225 or below.

Have you done brisket before? I suck at it. I'm gonna start with hamburgers.

9+ lbs @ 225, 201/202 internal. I am still eating on it. Very tender and excellent flavor, no BBQ sauce needed.

I have a Traeger and this is my brisket recipe. I did a 5 lb brisket about 3 weeks ago. I use Killer Hogs AP and TX rub. So I rinse the brisket under cold water and pat dry. Put the rub on and wrap in plastic wrap about 24 hours. I pull the brisket out of the fridge and let sit at room temp for about 30 minutes. I smoke it at 180 for about 4-5 hours depending and usually turn the brisket every hour to hour and a half. Then I take the meat off and put it in an aluminum pan, pour a bottle of beer over it and a cut up onion. Cover with aluminum foil and put it back on at 350 until internal temp reaches 206. Take it off, let rest 30 min and enjoy.

If you don’t already have an instant read thermometer,I highly suggest you buy one.

I have injected with beef broth, rubbed with a basic brisket rub (Uncle Earnie’s out of Cedar Creek is decent if you want to support local). 225-250F for as long as it takes. Let it rest in a cooler after you pull it. You have to let it rest.

I watched a lot of YouTube videos on trimming and methods. It helps.

Are you doing a full brisket or just the flat?
Totally agree with resting in a cooler. I've only done one on a gas grill. Only turned on every other burner on my Weber to keep heat low. It was from one of my own animals so it was a full brisket. It really didn't turn out too bad. Nothing fancy. Just salt and pepper. Then I sliced it and put in crock pot with BBQ sauce and liquid smoke

Totally agree with resting in a cooler. I've only done one on a gas grill. Only turned on every other burner on my Weber to keep heat low. It was from one of my own animals so it was a full brisket. It really didn't turn out too bad. Nothing fancy. Just salt and pepper. Then I sliced it and put in crock pot with BBQ sauce and liquid smoke
I’d have brought the beer but I didn’t know about it

Reactions: huskerfan66
I have a Traeger and this is my brisket recipe. I did a 5 lb brisket about 3 weeks ago. I use Killer Hogs AP and TX rub. So I rinse the brisket under cold water and pat dry. Put the rub on and wrap in plastic wrap about 24 hours. I pull the brisket out of the fridge and let sit at room temp for about 30 minutes. I smoke it at 180 for about 4-5 hours depending and usually turn the brisket every hour to hour and a half. Then I take the meat off and put it in an aluminum pan, pour a bottle of beer over it and a cut up onion. Cover with aluminum foil and put it back on at 350 until internal temp reaches 206. Take it off, let rest 30 min and enjoy.

If you don’t already have an instant read thermometer,I highly suggest you buy one.
How to BBQ Right is the best site EVER

Malcolm is the BOSS

Salt and pepper. That's it for the rub.

The hardest part for a brisket for me is trimming. You may have to cut a lot of fat. Especially the deckle (I think that's what the one part of fat is called). Seems you are cutting away A LOT.

Costco usually has USDA prime briskets I think.

Get the whole thing as I prefer the point to the flat.

I live in Texas and have done about 250+ briskets- do 60 percent coarse black pepper/40 kosher salt (i like putting the salt and wrapping it in fridge 24 hours before). Internal temp gets to 160-165 wrap in foil or butcher paper. Once temp gets to 200 start probing (take it off when it is like going into peanut butter).
Others are right in key is letting it REST! When I take it off I vent it for 10-15 minutes (open foil or butcher paper), then put beef broth inside (cup or so), seal it back up, wrap with towel and put it in cooler for at LEAST 3 hours. Enjoy the process!

Put whatever you want on it the night before. Refrigerate it over night and then pull it out at about 5AM let sit for an hour. Add more of whatever rub you used. Plop on the Traeger at 250 for about 4-5 hours. Wrap it foil, and cook it for another 4-5 hours or until the internal temp hits 205. Pull it off the grill and let rest another hour or so until the temp is back to 185, and then start cutting it against the grain.

Reactions: Baxter48
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT