ADVERTISEMENT

Good news

This is such a weak take, and yet, you keep repeating it.

Looking at the recruiting rankings for the past 10 years and recently on two different sites (not sure if allowed to link here), Nebraska has been ranked as high as 3rd but never lower than 6th in the conference—this despite coaching incompetence, job negligence, and turnover. According to one site, we had ten 4-star recruits in 2020; Iowa had 1.

During one of the worst stretches in the history of the program, the recruiting has remained consistent. And a coach with credibility who starts to put together winning seasons here will only improve upon those numbers.

The problem has been coaching and player development. How long are you going to perpetuate the lame argument that recruits won’t come to Lincoln, when even a quick Google search shows that the evidence is stacked against you?
Unless Nebraska has inherited some curse such that its teams always under-perform rather solid recruiting service rankings, the evidence points to coaching, or perhaps not recruiting the right types of players to their systems.

I agree. Reading opinions on different coaches it's clear Trev won't be able to please everyone. On the other hand, we are so bad that whoever he picks will be an upgrade.
This is actually a plus for any incoming coach. The bar was set so low by the prior two coaches that anyone will be judged as successful if it gets to 8-10 wins a year. Plus if the stories about Herm Edwards being sabotaged by the athletic school are true we won't have a hard time winning that battle for coaches looking for new jobs.

Reactions: jkeb
Also 2018, Frost's first year. There is absolutely zero question that Nebraska football was BETTER in 2018 than it is now. It's maddening.
I was at that game and afterwards saw a guy so drunk on sauce that he keeled straight over while waiting for a crosswalk light and impale his nose into a rose bush. It was probably one of you

Unless Nebraska has inherited some curse such that its teams always under-perform rather solid recruiting service rankings, the evidence points to coaching, or perhaps not recruiting the right types of players to their systems.
Frost and his assistant coaches did a very poor job recruiting offensive and defensive linemen and linebackers. We are paying the price now.

Reactions: HominidHusker
I was at that game and afterwards saw a guy so drunk on sauce that he keeled straight over while waiting for a crosswalk light and impale his nose into a rose bush. It was probably one of you
Not me!!

This is such a weak take, and yet, you keep repeating it.

Looking at the recruiting rankings for the past 10 years and recently on two different sites (not sure if allowed to link here), Nebraska has been ranked as high as 3rd but never lower than 6th in the conference—this despite coaching incompetence, job negligence, and turnover. According to one site, we had ten 4-star recruits in 2020; Iowa had 1.

During one of the worst stretches in the history of the program, the recruiting has remained consistent. And a coach with credibility who starts to put together winning seasons here will only improve upon those numbers.

The problem has been coaching and player development. How long are you going to perpetuate the lame argument that recruits won’t come to Lincoln, when even a quick Google search shows that the evidence is stacked against you?
This is the best! Hire a coach with a plan and include the fans on his solution, like, fans have patience until we get the lines developed! Not, " better get us in the first few yrs', He's the future Husker Qback, example, McCaffery ! Walk the sidelines, coaching, encouraging, not scowling, with arms folded! Do the grind, coach, recruit, follow through! Get a few 4star to Lincoln & developed of 3 stars! 😄

There have been several problems that Nebraska has faced for over two decades and hiring a solid HC is at the top of the list. We have also seen some very questionable assistant coaches added that seem to be none fits for our program. One of the issues Nebraska has had that few people talk about is talent evaluation especially along the offensive line.

I have never seen a position group trend down faster than I have with the OL. It's time to get coaches in here who can evaluate OL talent even if they are only two and three star kids. Let's face facts, it's going to take the next man in charge a few years to tear this thing down and build it back up.

Like it or not Nebraska is nowhere near to the Nebraska football program the fans expect and deserve. I'm all for our next head coach burning this football program down and building it back up properly, we deserve it as loyal fans.

Those stats speak for themselves. Scott Frost was the worst coach in Nebraska history and he proved it from day one. Sadly, the euphoria surrounding his hiring, and his Husker hero status, kept him here far too long.
Yes, so true enough sir. I too really wanted Frost to win endlessly but was uncertain if he would hack it. But I sure wanted him to win bigtime. But, I was totally dead wrong. Oh well.....

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
There have been several problems that Nebraska has faced for over two decades and hiring a solid HC is at the top of the list. We have also seen some very questionable assistant coaches added that seem to be none fits for our program. One of the issues Nebraska has had that few people talk about is talent evaluation especially along the offensive line.

I have never seen a position group trend down faster than I have with the OL. It's time to get coaches in here who can evaluate OL talent even if they are only two and three star kids. Let's face facts, it's going to take the next man in charge a few years to tear this thing down and build it back up.

Like it or not Nebraska is nowhere near to the Nebraska football program the fans expect and deserve. I'm all for our next head coach burning this football program down and building it back up properly, we deserve it as loyal fans.

Damn well stated sir! If you don't have a vicious OLine you're just in a bucket of sh*t.

Reactions: konaki

This is excellent. The hidden factor in all of this is the lack of real player evaluation when it comes to recruiting. Far too often over the past twenty years one gets the impression that our coaches just relied on Rivals star rankings and then threw offers at every high three star and four star recruits without really analyzing them. If you look carefully you also saw that never got any of the top 300 players in the country. We need a coach with a system and who knows how to evaluate talent and recruit it to that system. You know... like Osborne used to do. Like all good coaches do.

Instead of these 4* busts like Benhart, Corcoran and maybe Teddy, I'd just as soon have a collection of an eligible Nouili and Hixson. They aren't special, but they are solid.

In the PFF ratings this year, Benhart is actually rated much higher as a RT than Teddy is at LT. Benhart 187 of 583. Teddy P 477 0f 583.

Guards Bando 311 of 592, Corcoran 479 of 592.

Center Hixson 83 of 284.

It starts with identification on makeup of these recruits. We have not done enough beyond talent evaluation imo
Do you think we are not getting the rights guys or simply failing to coach them properly, especially on the line? I tend to think it is the latter.

Instead of these 4* busts like Benhart, Corcoran and maybe Teddy, I'd just as soon have a collection of an eligible Nouili and Hixson. They aren't special, but they are solid.

In the PFF ratings this year, Benhart is actually rated much higher as a RT than Teddy is at LT. Benhart 187 of 583. Teddy P 477 0f 583.

Guards Bando 311 of 592, Corcoran 479 of 592.

Center Hixson 83 of 284.
Corcoran and Benhart are busts because they've never been taught proper blocking techniques and Zach Duval turned them into big fat slobs.

This is excellent. The hidden factor in all of this is the lack of real player evaluation when it comes to recruiting. Far too often over the past twenty years one gets the impression that our coaches just relied on Rivals star rankings and then threw offers at every high three star and four star recruits without really analyzing them. If you look carefully you also saw that never got any of the top 300 players in the country. We need a coach with a system and who knows how to evaluate talent and recruit it to that system. You know... like Osborne used to do. Like all good coaches do.
It's not not not player evaluations!!!! They are getting good players, Frost just did absolutely terrible at developing them. He ran off every Florida kid before they could contribute. I keep saying not a single player that signed with NU over the past 5 years actually got better. Maybe Jurgens. But nobody else. The only kids who improved were Rileys recruits. Will Nixon couldn't play wr at NU but goes to Washington and looks good at running back. It's all on Frost.

Reactions: WHCSC
Corcoran and Benhart are busts because they've never been taught proper blocking techniques and Zach Duval turned them into big fat slobs.
I totally agree that Duvall is a large part of the problem. The sooner they cut Duvall loose, the sooner the players begin to improve physically.

Reactions: headcard
Look at Farniok. Had to go to the NFL to learn how to block. Corcoran and Benhart can still learn, maybe not here.
Other than Cam, Corcoran looks to be the best athlete since the Frost regime began. But, he sure doesn't play like it. Piper is another pretty athletic kid who can't seem to block anyone.

Some of our “talent” issues with our linemen is our shunning of PED use IMO. After one of Bama’s title run a few years ago that they had multiple guys test positive after the bowl season. Anybody who doesn’t think P5 linemen are using PEDs is naive. NU has been very vocal about their athletes avoiding their use.
Look at Farniok. Had to go to the NFL to learn how to block. Corcoran and Benhart can still learn, maybe not here.
farniok still can’t block. They benched for a retired 40 year old they signed 2 weeks ago.

Reactions: WHCSC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT